Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2019

Post by Rodster »

Pretty much echos what PK said. F1 lost a giant, 'the jack of all trades, master of all'.

"Charlie Whiting obituary: He was loved by all -- in a ego-driven world like F1, that speaks volumes"

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/262 ... ks-volumes

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Another F1 season and another Mercedes blow out, this time by a wider margin. Lewis and Bottas lock out the front row this time by .704 secs to Ferrari, ouch. Formula 1 doesn’t need these types of results especially with Liberty Media selling itself out to Sky Sports so TV viewership will be way down vs last year which was already bad since the British GP looks to be the only free to air race. Maybe it’s all for the better as this is truly a sh*t racing product and the mfgs are killing the racing series. Maybe the 2021 regs if approved will fix things (I doubt it) but the Formula 1 product of the past no longer works in the 21st century.

Maybe F1 needs to speed dial the Indycar boys to figure out a way to produce a car that can produce a better show because 6 yrs of Mercedes dominance ain’t going to sell too many seats. Hats off to them.

Onto some observations, well Stroll is still Stroll even in a much better car, Perez will make this kid look bad all year. His old man needs to find a way to gimp Perez’s car if his son is to stand a chance this year. Lando Norris what a surprise, 8th in qualy for McLaren in his GP first race. The shine will wear off on Sainz as he was beaten badly by Norris. Pierre Gasly can’t have too many qualy results like that or he will feel the wrath of Helmet Marko. No surprise but Williams is plain bad.

The kings of winter testing have a long long way to go to close the gap to Merc. This maybe another long F1 season for all the wrong reasons.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Sainz and Stroll were both blocked in their final laps in Q1, while Gasly was done in by his team believing a second run wasn't necessary, so perhaps harsh to be drawing any comparisons there. Williams are definitely plain bad...

As is standard, Melbourne is a) a terrible track for racing and b) not a sensible indicator for the rest of the year, so whatever we're about to watch needs to be viewed with that in mind. Hard to see beyond Mercedes today, but it was hard this time last year too and a red car still finished ahead of them.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Best part of the race today was a win for Bottas. Hard not to give support to him as he seems like a genuinely good guy. Heartbreak award has to go to Ricciardo. But overall a snoozer of a race.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yes, I also second the remark about Bottas. I hope this is his year.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I got a chance to watch a little bit of the Indycar qualifying rd at COTA. PK, was right, the cars look so much better than F1 cars and they even sound better than F1 cars. I still can't get used to the rear fenders on the Indycars but that's just nit picking.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I got a chance to watch a little bit of the Indycar qualifying rd at COTA. PK, was right, the cars look so much better than F1 cars and they even sound better than F1 cars. I still can't get used to the rear fenders on the Indycars but that's just nit picking.
Glad you enjoyed it! Watch the race at 1 p.m. (ET) tomorrow on NBCSN. We need the ratings!

But there are no rear "fenders" on this generation of Indy car. The boxes behind the rear wheels that existed in the 2012-17 car were eliminated for this new aero kit.

Close-up shot of the rear of COTA pole sitter Will Power's car from today:

"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I got a chance to watch a little bit of the Indycar qualifying rd at COTA. PK, was right, the cars look so much better than F1 cars and they even sound better than F1 cars. I still can't get used to the rear fenders on the Indycars but that's just nit picking.
Glad you enjoyed it! Watch the race at 1 p.m. (ET) tomorrow on NBCSN. We need the ratings!

But there are no rear "fenders" on this generation of Indy car. The boxes behind the rear wheels that existed in the 2012-17 car were eliminated for this new aero kit.

Close-up shot of the rear of COTA pole sitter Will Power's car from today:

I’m referring to the body parts that’s in front of the rear wheel if you are looking at the front of the car. Indycar looks to have a very competitive field and it’s nice to see Marcus Ericsson finding another ride.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I’m referring to the body parts that’s in front of the rear wheel if you are looking at the front of the car. Indycar looks to have a very competitive field and it’s nice to see Marcus Ericsson finding another ride.
Those are flip-ups designed with a dual purpose: They reduce the drag caused by the rear tires and also prevent interlocking wheels in side-by-side collisions. They've been a part of Indy car chassis design as an aero aid since the early 90s in some shape or form.

Note Rick Mears' pole- and race-winning car from the 1991 Indianapolis 500:

No doubt the flip-ups are much more pronounced on these cars, mainly due to their safety function of preventing interlocking wheels.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indycars through the years have all had some level of flare at the rear. Here are some of my favorites:

PS - Paui we must have been posting at the same time. I opened up a reply and starting searching for screenshots. :)

1997 CART compared to 2018 Indycar (Michael - top and Marco - below)

1979 Indy 500 Winner

1989 Indy 500 Winner

1993 Indy 500 Winner

2011 Indy 500 Winner

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hahahahahaha, Don! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The 1997 cars looked the best, IMO but the new cars look nice. If the rear body parts serve a dual purpose then i’ll have to get used to the them on the car. At least it’s nowhere as bad as the Halo on the F1 cars.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Want to see an ugly formula car? The new Formula E cars are HIDEOUS.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Are the Indycar's using any BS passing enhancements like they do in Formula 1? They seem to have no problems passing one another out on track. I haven't been following the Indycar series but is Will Power the Lewis Hamilton of the series? He seems to be dominating the entire weekend.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Are the Indycar's using any BS passing enhancements like they do in Formula 1? They seem to have no problems passing one another out on track. I haven't been following the Indycar series but is Will Power the Lewis Hamilton of the series? He seems to be dominating the entire weekend.
Each car has a certain number of seconds of "push to pass" -- a temporary horsepower boost -- per race. It can be used at any time, anywhere. But when it's gone, it's gone.

Power is the best road course racer in the series, without a doubt. But he didn't win today!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Are the Indycar's using any BS passing enhancements like they do in Formula 1? They seem to have no problems passing one another out on track. I haven't been following the Indycar series but is Will Power the Lewis Hamilton of the series? He seems to be dominating the entire weekend.
Each car has a certain number of seconds of "push to pass" -- a temporary horsepower boost -- per race. It can be used at any time, anywhere. But when it's gone, it's gone.

Power is the best road course racer in the series, without a doubt. But he didn't win today!
Yeah, I was watching the race when he entered the pits and the team came over the radio and told him it was some kind of fuel pump problem. Indycar has a more fun and competitive product than F1 at the moment. Unfortunately the stands looked empty and the same goes for Nascar at Martinsville.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If you needed further proof why I don’t hold Vettel in high regard:

1) In 2014 he got beat by his rookie teammate Ricciardo.
2) Last year there were no more excuses, he should have won the WDC.
3) This year in Melbourne he was about to get beat again by his rookie teammate but his teammate was told to back off.
4) In his second race weekend for Ferrari his rookie teammate snags Pole, beating Vettel by 0.294 secs.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:If you needed further proof why I don’t hold Vettel in high regard:

1) In 2014 he got beat by his rookie teammate Ricciardo.
2) Last year there were no more excuses, he should have won the WDC.
3) This year in Melbourne he was about to get beat again by his rookie teammate but his teammate was told to back off.
4) In his second race weekend for Ferrari his rookie teammate snags Pole, beating Vettel by 0.294 secs.
:lol: :lol:

Doubt anyone thats has read your posts the last five years needed it but thanks for sharing.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Lando Norris continues to impress in the McLaren. I think Ferrari is going to gift the race to Sebastien Goff, I mean Vettel who’s getting his ass kicked by Leclerc so far.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What a bullsh*t day for Ferrari fans. First, Sebastien Goff spins out (again) battling with Lewis, then his front wing gets ripped off from the right tire vibration. Then adding to the misery, Charles Leclerc who was kicking ass all weekend long, has an engine failure but got to finish 3rd, dayem.

Another solid result for Norris, that kid can drive and it's nice to see McLaren back in the top 10. Geez, Renault can provide engines to other teams but they somehow still are outclassed by their B-teams.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It appears that Formula 1 has a nice young core to replace the old guards (Hamilton, Vettel and Kimi) for Verstappen, Leclerc and it looks like Norris could be added to the list.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Watching Leclerc make absolutely no bones about putting some manners on Vettel, you could be forgiven for wondering if you weren't watching something of greater significance. Charles will have his day soon enough, and a few more besides - how many and how soon will depend, at least in part, on exactly how rattled his team mate is. Vettel's race was not that of a man dealing especially well with the sight of another red car vanishing into the distance.

On a similar theme, it's too early to say definitively but I fear that the new and improved 2019 edition of Valtteri Bottas might have a touch of the "Coulthard: This Is MY Year" about it.

Patrick Head is apparently back at Williams to do some consultancy work. That's the second season of the Netflix documentary sorted.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Boy, it sure is great having Kvyat back on the F1 grid...

Ferrari made a meal of the race strategy, it is going to be interesting to see if Leclerc starts resisting team orders more in the future.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

While I am enjoy the IndyCar series, one thing on the broadcasts just drives me batty. Why must the broadcast team always refer to a new set of tires with the word "sticker". It just dumbs down the product (the racing) to me. Even Firestone on their website doesn't use this hillbilly term, except parathetically in the section which has the Indy rules. Come on, say "new set of alternates" instead of "sticker reds boogity boogity boogity!"

Life must be good for me if this is what I need to rant about :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:While I am enjoy the IndyCar series, one thing on the broadcasts just drives me batty. Why must the broadcast team always refer to a new set of tires with the word "sticker". It just dumbs down the product (the racing) to me. Even Firestone on their website doesn't use this hillbilly term, except parathetically in the section which has the Indy rules. Come on, say "new set of alternates" instead of "sticker reds boogity boogity boogity!"

Life must be good for me if this is what I need to rant about :D
Two reasons. One, old habits die hard. "Sticker" tires is a very common term in IndyCar circles. Two, "sticker" is used to differentiate between brand-new and scuffed tires. "Stickers" are brand-new -- not one lap. "Scuffs" have one or two laps worth of wear.

I'm telling you nothing you don't know, James. But I think those are the reasons.