Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2019

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Too bad Ferrari are so far back in the championship standings because they've put together 3 good weeks in a row. Leclerc, three Poles in a row, who would've thought they could do so well in Singapore? This track was not supposed to suit their car. Vettel could've had Pole if not for sliding his car in one of the final corners. I was hoping for a Ferrari front row lock out but Lewis splits the two Ferrari's.

It was supposed to be a battle between Verstappen and Hamilton. Now it looks like it's round 2 between Leclerc and Hamilton.
BRING IT. I find a Ferrari-Mercedes duel far more compelling than Red Bull-Mercedes. Plus I don't like Lewis or Max, and I do like Chuck LeCluck. So that gives me more of a rooting interest, too.

Vettel must be getting unglued about LeClerc's speed and victories. Mental strength never has been Seb's forte, so he could spontaneously combust by Abu Dhabi.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Rodster »

I think Vettel is done. I watched the qualy with spanish commentary and Vettel drove his car into the pits. This is playing out worse than 2014 because he has nowhere else to go. I would love to see Ricciardo at Ferrari. He’s losing his ride after next year.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I loved the “Vettel says Ferrari must step up” headlines this week.

Ferrari should bring back Alonso for next season, haha.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I did not watch the race but read the results. It appears Ferrari was doing everything in its power to get Vettel back on track. Obviously wonder boy was none too happy. I guess the changing of the guards will have to wait a little while longer. I can''t disagree with Ferrari's strategy if that was the case.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

A spoiler-free suggestion for you: if you have a way of watching the BTCC finale, please do so. All three races if you can, to get the best sense of the twists and turns involved in whittling four contenders down to one champion.

Modern-day BTCC is unashamedly in the entertainment business. It has to be, really. To the UK viewer, BTCC is a 20-minute highlights package on Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon, cribbing the best bits from a race twice that long and then pouring purest Murray Walker over them. To recreate that over 30 full races a year, all of them broadcast live, is a massive ask, and it's incredible how close they get to meeting it.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The BTCC is televised on a pretty significant delay -- at least a week or more? -- in the States on CBS Sports Network. I LOVE it. Great action, if not very gentlemanly, on proper circuits.

Plus watching it makes me yearn for a new TOCA game from Codemasters even more!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I love the random racing on CBS Sports, makes for great background viewing while getting stuff done around the house

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A couple of notes:

1) It looks like Indycar will introduce it’s version of the Halo which is a combination of an aeroscreen and Halo device. PK did you mention that in a previous comment I may have missed? Is it going to happen?

2) Miami GP got the clearance to host a Formula 1 race around Dolphins stadium. The last time I was there was back in 1994 to watch Miami play KC on MNF. Not the best place to show off iconic Miami scenery. The race just needs final approval from local officials. Stephen Ross, Dolphins owner is optimistic. My guess is, it won’t happen. F1 is a tough sell in the US and the first site around Biscayne Bay got voted down. The Dolphins site also ran into local residents disapproval, so i’m kinda surprised to read they’re now close to a deal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rod:

Yes, the Aeroscreen will be mandatory on all NTT IndyCar Series cars from the start of next season. Red Bull Technologies has been instrumental with INDYCAR in its development, probably with the aim of eventually introducing it to F1, too.

Nothing screams sexy Miami Beach and the "Miami Vice" vibe like a parking lot race around a football stadium. What a f*cking joke from F1.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

My bad PK, I should clarify the race probably won’t take place literally around Hard Rock Stadium. Let’s wait for the final proposal where the race will actually take place. Although truth be told I pictured Formula 1 cars driving thru Hard Road Stadium, Gymkhana style ala Ken Block :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

WeLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, the proposed Miami GP does appear to be on the stadium site but the residents and local officials are all saying Hell No to the race. So it looks like the race will have to find another location because Miami doesn't want one.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/residents ... rand-prix/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Supposedly, this is what the 2021 cars will look like.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar are being sold to Penske Corp.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/201 ... 154155002/
Hulman & Co. is selling the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar and related businesses to Penske Corp.

Both companies announced the deal Monday in a news release.

Hulman & Co. has owned the track since 1945. In May, the company announced it was selling the iconic baking powder-maker Clabber Girl Corp. to B&G Foods.

At the time, President & CEO Mark Miles said the sale allowed the company to focus on growing its motor sports operations.

More: Doyel: Roger Penske the perfect choice to buy IndyCar and IMS from Tony George
Monday's news release did not specify how much Penske is paying to buy the track, the NTT IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway Productions.

Miles was joined by Chairman Tony George and Penske Corp. Chairman Roger Penske at an 11 a.m. news conference to answer questions about the sale.

Penske, a Detroit businessman who becomes the famed track's fourth owner, immediately hinted that he had plans to invest new money and new events at the Indianapolis racing oval.

"We are going to invest capital," Penske said. "We know the economic benefit that this race brings to the region, and we want to grow it."

Penske suggested the possibility of a 24-hour race and an F1 race, improving entertainment

Rumors about the sale of IMS started churning not long after the November 3, 2018 death of family matriarch and IMS Chairman of the Board Emeritus Mari Hulman George.

Miles denied the rumors. In a December 2018 interview with IndyStar, Miles insisted that IMS was not for sale

“Nothing’s changing,” Miles said.......
WOW!!! :) :) :) :)

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/11/11 ... CAR-Penske

https://www.indycar.com/Videos/2019/11/ ... esentation

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/11/11 ... ske-Quotes

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/m ... /questions

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/m ... /questions

https://racer.com/2019/11/04/breaking-h ... to-penske/

https://racer.com/2019/11/04/penske-aim ... s-indycar/

https://racer.com/2019/11/04/penske-dow ... -concerns/

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/ ... olis-track

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/ ... cluding-f1

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

We could talk about the race in Abu Dhabi. We could instead watch an old Pizza Hut advert starring Damon Hill and Murray Walker.

There's an argument that says the season should end with an exciting race to leave you wanting more. An alternative viewpoint is that it's better to gently ease your way into the off-season by boring your audience until they give up. In this regard, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was its usual unqualified success.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No doubt the rose-colored glasses were out after the race Sunday, Adam. I love F1, but I also like to think I'm objective. All of the unabashed purists pointed to the "thrilling midfield battle" to try to gin up post-race enthusiasm for that sh*tshow.

There were a ton of factors conspiring to make that a dull race.

One, there was nothing to play for. Both titles wrapped up. No prominent driver racing for his job. It was the F1 equivalent of a match on the final Premier League weekend of the season between the 10th-place and 12th-place clubs. Nothing at stake. Just running out the proverbial string.

Two, Abu Dhabi is a crap track. It's a shining example of everything that makes Tilke tracks suck. Hairpins, not enough high-speed corners, oceans of asphalt runoff. You know a track is pathetic when its most notable feature is a tunnel at pit exit.

Finally, the reason the race was pedestrian was because the gap between Lewis Carl Hamilton and the rest of the field is wider than ever despite the technical gap between the top three teams narrowing. Lewis is an all-time great. Love him or hate him, you better appreciate him. He's in a class with Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Stewart, Clark and Fangio. He has no weaknesses.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I actually like Lewis and I would easily put him in the group PK listed. Keep in mind Lewis won the title this year not having the fastest car. But we all pretty much figured Lewis was going to be great when he pushed Alonso in his first F1 race and took the final spot on the podium and if not for a rookie mistake, should've easily won the drivers title in his first year. He gifted Kimi the crown in 2007. Then if almost on cue he wins it the following year.

What I don't like about Lewis is that he tries really hard to be COOL and it comes across as forced and phony.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Dave wrote:Conor rides again!
And again, for ECR wherever there's a right turn during 2020, as well as the Indianapolis 500. That's a very nice ride for the second half of May...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Dave wrote:Conor rides again!
And again, for ECR wherever there's a right turn during 2020, as well as the Indianapolis 500. That's a very nice ride for the second half of May...
The great irony of this deal, though: Conor Daly has become one of the more skilled oval racers in IndyCar over the last two years. His drive in 2018 at Gateway was mighty impressive.

I think Conor knows Ed Carpenter won't stay in the seat forever, as Ed is pushing 40. So Conor knows that ride could become his for every race within a few years if he embeds well into the team.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

My 5-year old is pumped about Conor being in most of the races. We’re planning a race trip at some point this year, so signs point to a road or street course. Excited to see how the new ECR competes, I think Veekay might be a star in the making.

PK - Gateway was one of my first thoughts too. Hoping Daly forces Carpenter’s hand with strong performances elsewhere.

Still a few dominos to fall in this crazy IndyCar off-season

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:PK - Gateway was one of my first thoughts too. Hoping Daly forces Carpenter’s hand with strong performances elsewhere.
Don't count on that.

Conor Daly has become one of the better oval racers in IndyCar over the last few years. Ed Carpenter has been and remains one of the two or three best oval racers in IndyCar for a decade. He's right there with Pagenaud, Power, Kanaan, Dixon, Newgarden and Rossi on left turns only.

Ed will stay in oval-only mode for at least a few more years. He is married with three kids, so if wife Heather hasn't put the kibosh on oval racing by now, it's not going to happen. :)

The only scenario in which Carpenter suddenly retires from driving is a victory in the Indianapolis 500. That's his lifelong goal. So if he wins (and it's very possible), I predict he will pull the same move as Sam Hanks after he earned his only Indy victory, in 1957, and retire from driving completely after that season.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I’m hoping for a 3rd Carpenter car, can’t see Ed hopping out in deference of Daly unless the “wins Indy, retires” scenario happens.

Just saw an article tipping Kimball for a Foyt seat. Good luck to him, he’ll need it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:I’m hoping for a 3rd Carpenter car, can’t see Ed hopping out in deference of Daly unless the “wins Indy, retires” scenario happens.

Just saw an article tipping Kimball for a Foyt seat. Good luck to him, he’ll need it.
Kimball still brings diabetes drug money. Not as much as when he had a full-time Ganassi ride, as the pharmaceutical companies wrote the whole check. But enough to fill some of the budget shortfall at Foyt caused by the departure of ABC Supply.

Which scion of racing has a more pitiful team right now, Petty or Foyt? It's a neck-and-neck race to the bottom, sadly.