Insurgency Sandstorm

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Insurgency Sandstorm

Post by Danimal »

I got this game last night for the PC, it is coming for XB1 and PS4 in 2019. While it won't take the place of Post Scriptum for me, this is a really fun game and it is set in the present day so you're using modern weapons.

There are 2 sides, security and insurgents. Clearly this is set in the mid-east based on the maps. The first thing I noticed is the gun play is very realistic in terms of weapon kick / sway. If you're taking fire and are suppressed your weapon is going to sway more. If your crouched or prone you have more stability. Like PS you can hold the shift key to focus which zooms in your view a little more and steadies you but for a brief time.

Also like PS there are different roles such as rifleman, gunner, observer, commander etc. The commander can use his binoculars to call in strikes from attack helicopters and mortars etc. but he needs to be standing next to the observer to do it.

I played the training mission which is pretty good and introduces you to the game as you go through a mission. Little lessons pop up on screen as you go but you can watch these outside the mission as well.

The I played a few local play matches. I wasn't sure what this would do but it populated the game with bots who were pretty f***in deadly. I didn't see any options for difficulty settings. The maps aren't gigantic but are well made with locations for cover. Again i may have missed it but I didn't see any explanation on match type or rules. So the matched I played there were 3 capture points on the map kind of in a line and both sides were trying to capture them.

I believe there are other types of matches as in the training I had to blow up a weapons cache and then defend a position. Finally I'm not sure but I get the impression respawns are very limited. I thought at first this was if you die you are out of the round as that is exactly what happened in my first few local matched, but the next few i was able to respawn once. Either way rounds were pretty quick so I'm thinking the respawn pool is low.

Over all I think this game will be worth a hard look for DSP guys when it hits consoles. I will try and grab some gameplay and post it soon. Any questions just ask.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Insurgency Sandstorm

Post by pk500 »

Sounds really cool! Thanks for the tip, Dan.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks for the reminder to post about this again PK. I've been playing a whole hell of a lot of this. Let me get straight to the point, this is probably the best modern day shooter on the market. When this comes to console I expect it will be a huge hit around here. Let me detail the specifics.

First this game is a bit of a mix of Ghost Recon, CS, RS6 Siege etc. It's like someone took all the best parts of all those games and put them in a blender.

You have 3 game modes right now.

1. Local play which is you and a squad of bots against a very strong AI.
2. Online Coop you and up to 7 other players again face the AI which is very good.
3. Online vs play which can be in a competitive ladder match, meaning they rank skill levels.

Before I get to game play lets go right to your solider layout. Each squad has different roles and you can only have so many of each guy. The standard rifleman makes up the meat of the squad. Then you have a single marksman, gunner (heavy MG) Grenadier (Heavy weapon Law's, rpg's etc) Demolitiona, Observers and a Commander. The commander can call in gunships, mortar strikes etc but he needs to be near the observer to do it.

Rank in this game, at least in coop means nothing except for skins for you guys. Every weapon, every attachment, ever piece of equipment is available to you. You have a set number of load out points and each items takes points. Want an M16 with 3 points, Acog scope 1 point, supressor 1 points, heavy armor 3 points. You can outside of the main gameplay configure each solider type for both the security and insurgents and can save multiple load outs for each solider. You can respect during a match both class and load out by going to a supply crate. Heavy armor slows you down, certain load outs allow you to carry 5 mags instead of 3 etc.

Gun play is the best I've seen ever, end of story, drop the mic. Realistic kick back and sway on weapons, select fire modes etc. Want to empty a full clip your weapon will sway all over the place. You can also focus as I mentioned before if you're under cover and have the time, if you're suppressed your aim is worse. It is so well done and so immersive it's great.

I've mostly played coop online so I will talk about that from the good guy role of security forces. You're dropped off an you have to capture objectives in order. Most maps have objectives from A to G. So you might start and have to move on objective A and capture it. Then move to B and their might be a weapons cache you need to blow up. Then maybe you capture C but need to hold it from a counter attack for 1 minute. When you die you can only respawn when your team takes an objective. Some objectives have a certain amount of time to take them, if you dilly dally you lose. The ones you need to hold, if you don't you lose. As players go down and you've got 2 guys left defending an objective they need to defend it and clear it of enemies. If they run away for cover, the enemy takes the objective and....you lose.

The maps and AI are so good in this game. You would think you they would get stale and you would easily win. Not so thus far and I've been playing a lot. I grabbed a clip and it is below. I die alot but it shows the load out screen at one point. This is a fantastic game.

Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I am all over this...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ooh, great detail, Dan. I'm erect!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So PK and I tried out the co-op, and my God, this game is intense. PK said it reminded him of GR:IT from WAY back, and I have to agree. The sound, in particular, is unbelievable. Gunfire, near and far, is incredible, the pinging off of plaster or metal is easily recognizable, mortar rounds are terrifying, screams and shouts are believable and often humorous, the one shot kills are very satisfying.

Now, it's not a console showpiece. But it runs very well, and looks good enough. It ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's serviceable and puts out, so it's really not an issue. LOL

PVP was really just as intense as co-op, and very, very fun. Goofballs who play this like COD will get splattered quick.

I had a ball, night one. It was a little frustrating getting into matches early on, but I'm hoping that was just fresh game overload, as my last couple matches loaded in pretty quickly.

8 player co-op is really, really, really good. Just impressed all the way around.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Is this on Gamepass or no?

I'd love to join you guys but I can't justify buying it again on the Xbox but it is loads of fun, especially in Co-op
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:48 am
Is this on Gamepass or no?

I'd love to join you guys but I can't justify buying it again on the Xbox but it is loads of fun, especially in Co-op
No, it is not on GamePass. $39.99 new. I scooped it for $29.99 after using some GamePass points for a $10 Microsoft gift card.

Some server issues last night, and she's not the prettiest girl at the party, but the gameplay is excellent and intense. This is a pure tactical shooter -- reminds me a TON of Ghost Recon Island Thunder set in the Middle East.

Looking forward to putting this baby through more deadly paces tonight.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Seems like the Xbox series consoles and the XB1 consoles don't like playing together on this game right now. Paul and I kept getting kicked out and locked up while we were playing with some Series X guys, but it magically disappeared once Bill and company left. All I can think of is that the Series X loads so much faster that when we restart a level, it confuses the XB1 and locks it up. Dunno.

What I do know is that I absolutely adore this game. Once they figure out the niggles, this damn thing will be even more awesome.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The first big patch for this game isn't out yet for Xbox, but the developers must be tweaking something behind the scenes or in the server room because I'm getting far fewer disconnects than during launch week.

Insurgency: Sandstorm is a BRILLIANT game. I have no desire to play Call of Duty or Battlefield right now because of this game. This game is what I want from a shooter. Ruthless, tactical, gripping.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Couldn't agree more, Paul. I've actually tried to play other shooters, and I just can't, and don't want to. This is what I want.

Period.

I can't wait for what else they have in store for this game going forward.