Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:
Teal wrote: Dude, seriously.... :roll:
I thought the smiley face indicated it was a joke / ribbing.

I do highly suggest getting this game, hate for you to miss out on the GOTY. :roll:
I'm gonna guess you missed this:
Teal wrote:Oh, make no mistake, I'll be getting Odyssey at some point. I was just saying that I love the slow pace of RDR 2 is all.
I have every intention to play ACO at some point, but I've been waiting on RDR2 since I finished RDR1. I know you were joking, but it's also kinda thread policing, and now the last word I had OT on this thread has stretched into several more... needlessly.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Teal wrote: Dude, seriously.... :roll:
I thought the smiley face indicated it was a joke / ribbing.

I do highly suggest getting this game, hate for you to miss out on the GOTY. :roll:
I havent played ACO but I played Origins and loved it. I plan on getting ACO.
All things considered, I think RD2 might be the game of the last 5 years. Its still continues to surprise me even though I am easily 40-50 hours in. My opinion of course :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Looks like ACO and RDR2 could be in a dead heat for GOTY here.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote: I havent played ACO but I played Origins and loved it. I plan on getting ACO.
All things considered, I think RD2 might be the game of the last 5 years. Its still continues to surprise me even though I am easily 40-50 hours in. My opinion of course :D
When you play ACO then I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Both are outstanding games, both are very different games, both our impressive games. For me I like to have fun when I'm playing a game, ACO is a more fun game for me then RDR. Clearly based on preference that opinion is going to vary by person.

I've never even sniffed the end of an AC game, I can see myself playing this game for months to come it just never gets stale or boring.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I just had this full conversation with my wife the other night. RDR2 was a masterpiece, and I played that through from start to finish, hunted everything I could, helped every stranger, but my full completion percentage was still somewhere in the high 80s or low 90s last time I fired it up. It's a game that I think everybody should experience, even with its control quirks and slower pacing.

But until Red Dead Online comes out, I have almost no pull to fire it back up again. I feel like I saw what I needed to see from it, and it was great. In AC Odyssey, I think I've played this game 150 hours on Xbox and PC combined, and still somehow feel I've barely scratched the surface. I have an incredible pull to keep coming back and seeing different islands, different quest outcomes, and different loot pieces. Now, with transmog in the game, I have an all-new obsession to hunt down every gear piece for the collection.

I think if somebody put a gun to my head and gave me the old "you are going to a desert island (with power and an Xbox/TV, of course), which game would you take?", it would be Odyssey for me. There's just SO MUCH there, and the quality is off the charts. The fact that I've already played it more than pretty much any game I've had except World of Warcraft and STILL constantly come back every day has to count for something.

Odyssey is definitely my GOTY, even with the greatness of RDR2.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote: For me I like to have fun when I'm playing a game.
Well, s***, I certainly hope so.

Great point on RD2 Online. That is a whole other chapter of RD2.

I definitely have to play ACO to be able to make the call on which is better. That being said, I did play and finish Origins and, realizing there are new aspects in Odyssey, its still the same formula as Origins from what I have seen on Mixer/Twitch and heard from friends. I also realize its a different locale and story. I have heard that it is the least AC-Like game in the series also. When its all said and done its to each his own. I look forward to firing up ACO. If it ends up being better than RD2 I will be surprised and ecstatic because RD2 has been the most enjoyment/fun I have had with a game in years.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

TCrouch wrote:The fact that I've already played it more than pretty much any game I've had except World of Warcraft and STILL constantly come back every day has to count for something.
Im not quite there yet as I have played Witcher 3 more but Im getting there...Love the WoW comparison. It works for me..

I just hit level 50 yesterday and thought that was the cap..Its not. I have played this game trying to avoid any and all spoilers and the exploration has been so worth it. So satisfying the randomness that way..

Just the vistas are heart warming...I love the islands baby!

I do wish I could play both but its going to one at a time.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:
TCrouch wrote:The fact that I've already played it more than pretty much any game I've had except World of Warcraft and STILL constantly come back every day has to count for something.
Im not quite there yet as I have played Witcher 3 more but Im getting there...Love the WoW comparison. It works for me..

I just hit level 50 yesterday and thought that was the cap..Its not. I have played this game trying to avoid any and all spoilers and the exploration has been so worth it. So satisfying the randomness that way..

Just the vistas are heart warming...I love the islands baby!

I do wish I could play both but its going to one at a time.
I am tempted to snag the BF deal for $40 just so I have it for when I am done with RD2. What are the odds I can get it for that price after this weekend. If it is as good as you guys say it is I don’t think I will see a $40 deal for a while.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Diablo25 wrote:I am tempted to snag the BF deal for $40 just so I have it for when I am done with RD2. What are the odds I can get it for that price after this weekend. If it is as good as you guys say it is I don’t think I will see a $40 deal for a while.
$27 at Gamestop and Amazon.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Pete1210 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I am tempted to snag the BF deal for $40 just so I have it for when I am done with RD2. What are the odds I can get it for that price after this weekend. If it is as good as you guys say it is I don’t think I will see a $40 deal for a while.
$27 at Gamestop and Amazon.
Get it now! while Im fast travelling.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I need a digital deal. I don't like buying discs. EDIT:Eh, screw it, I just bought it for 40.19 on the digital. I don't believe I'll play it at all until I've completed RDR2, but I like ancient Greece, and my oldest son LOVES Greece. So...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:I need a digital deal. I don't like buying discs. EDIT:Eh, screw it, I just bought it for 40.19 on the digital. I don't believe I'll play it at all until I've completed RDR2, but I like ancient Greece, and my oldest son LOVES Greece. So...
Hehehe...tomorrow is pay day so I’ll more than likely snag the $40 deal for when I’m done with RD2 single player.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

VERY early impressions. This game feels spastic, control wise. It's like it's got a speed setting that's at 125% normal. I love the 300 opening. The combat is cool (dig the "Sparta" kick). But man alive, the movement is just weird. Is there a way to tone down the hyper feeling controls?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote:VERY early impressions. This game feels spastic, control wise. It's like it's got a speed setting that's at 125% normal. I love the 300 opening. The combat is cool (dig the "Sparta" kick). But man alive, the movement is just weird. Is there a way to tone down the hyper feeling controls?
I would venture to guess this feeling is coming from playing so much RDR. It's why I cant play both at the same time, I was in the exact opposite situation. Playing so much AC before Read Dead's release, RDR felt like it was stuck in mud.

I don't think there is a way to slow it down though, once you get off the first island you will have the controls down and the game also opens up tremendously.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Teal wrote:VERY early impressions. This game feels spastic, control wise. It's like it's got a speed setting that's at 125% normal. I love the 300 opening. The combat is cool (dig the "Sparta" kick). But man alive, the movement is just weird. Is there a way to tone down the hyper feeling controls?
I would venture to guess this feeling is coming from playing so much RDR. It's why I cant play both at the same time, I was in the exact opposite situation. Playing so much AC before Read Dead's release, RDR felt like it was stuck in mud.

I don't think there is a way to slow it down though, once you get off the first island you will have the controls down and the game also opens up tremendously.
I thought the same thing. Playing both simply must impact the way things look/feel. I experienced the same things Jason did. There is very little sense of weight to your character. Its still a beautiful game that will be super enjoyable.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:
Im sure its exactly why. The speed, and for me the controls as well, make it almost impossible for me to play both comfortably. AC was this fast with Origins too.

RDR is played at a more realistic speed.

You will get used to the speed as long as you dont play RDR. :P

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

XXXIV wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Im sure its exactly why. The speed, and for me the controls as well, make it almost impossible for me to play both comfortably. AC was this fast with Origins too.

RDR is played at a more realistic speed.

You will get used to the speed as long as you dont play RDR. :P
Yeah, that's why I probably won't go back into ACO for awhile. Realistically, I could have waited for another price drop, because once RDR online hits, I'll be playing in the RDR world for the foreseeable future... :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Teal wrote: Yeah, that's why I probably won't go back into ACO for awhile. Realistically, I could have waited for another price drop, because once RDR online hits, I'll be playing in the RDR world for the foreseeable future... :D
Of course not. Its really not doable for us old people unless you are Terry

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

XXXIV wrote:
Teal wrote: Yeah, that's why I probably won't go back into ACO for awhile. Realistically, I could have waited for another price drop, because once RDR online hits, I'll be playing in the RDR world for the foreseeable future... :D
Of course not. Its really not doable for us old people unless you are Terry
Lol, that's probably what's at issue. On another note, what historian figured out that ancient Greeks were apparently fluid in Western profanity?? It sounds weird to hear the word "F*ck" in a game set in ancient Greece. Just feels out of place to me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote: Lol, that's probably what's at issue. On another note, what historian figured out that ancient Greeks were apparently fluid in Western profanity?? It sounds weird to hear the word "F*ck" in a game set in ancient Greece. Just feels out of place to me.
I looked this up one time for an unrelated issue but the F-word is actually of German / Dutch origin and didn't appear to the 16th century in written form. So all those movies depicting Romans or Greeks using the word well it's just being lazy.

It seems from a quick Google search most Greek swears had to do with feces, especially eating or shitting on others. Plenty deal with sex.

Just lazy writing I guess.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

They say malaka all the time and that is by far and a way the most used Greek swear word.

I know ancient greek would be much different but I listen to the talk and most of it sounds like bla bla bla bla...NOT EVEN CLOSE....but there is an occasional actual word thrown in.

Being fluent in Greek makes the talk annoying.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Man, the islands and ocean scenery are damn nice in the game. I have only played the game for about an hour but the visuals are nice :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I've gotten more used to the controls. It's gonna be fun. I know I'm early (just left the initial island), but it seems like a polished Origins. Not a bad thing, as I liked Origins quite a lot. I still don't like the ill fitting language, and the voice acting is really suspect. (Marcos is annoying as hell). But it's a fun Origins sequel.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Spent some more time with it. Any comparison with RDR2 is pretty silly, I'd say. It's a great game in it's own right. But I have to say that, while I really dig this as I did Origins, it's not going to topple RDR2 as my GOTY. Not even close. That said, they're two drastically different games trying to do two very different things. The best comparison is to Origins, and it's a more polished game than that stellar work. The hunting is awful, dreadful, but... It's clearly not the focus, or even A focus, so that's fine. Well done game.
Last edited by Teal on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

To each his own. They're vastly different games, yes. But I've done pretty much everything I wanted to do in RDR2's single player and didn't have much pull to do anything else until the online launched today.

With AC Odyssey, my "major storylines finished" save file had 80 something hours on it, and I kept on playing past the finish. I think for me, RPG-style games with loot are more in my wheelhouse, whereas Cowboys are clearly your wheelhouse.

Still pretty crazy that two (to me) all-time incredible games released within a month of each other like this.