Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Post by TCrouch »

Stunned there isn't a thread on this one. Played it for about 5 hours split between last night and this morning before work.

Did nobody else get this one? I think the title "Assassin's Creed" hurts it more than anything, this time. If it was just "open world ancient Greece RPG", people would be hyped about it. There are certainly AC-ish parts of it, but I'm blown away so far.

Is it not on anybody else's radar?

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:Stunned there isn't a thread on this one. Played it for about 5 hours split between last night and this morning before work.

Did nobody else get this one? I think the title "Assassin's Creed" hurts it more than anything, this time. If it was just "open world ancient Greece RPG", people would be hyped about it. There are certainly AC-ish parts of it, but I'm blown away so far.

Is it not on anybody else's radar?
Definitely on my radar, but just don't have the cheddar for it. Decided my game for the month was RDR2. Knowing this one is offline makes it easier to push it back a little. Love the ancient Greek setting.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RDR 2. 'Nuff said.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Still need to finish up Origins. Plus with just getting Forza Horizon 4 and with RDR2 on the horizon (pun intended), I have enough on my plate and will pick AC Odyssey up during one of the holiday sales.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Definitely on the radar but like others planned to pick it up down the road after rd2.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Sheesh...3 1/2 weeks between AC and RDR2! :lol: I'm all over both, as that's a long window in between games for me. But I knew October was going to suck anyway as far as games coming out, so I sort of planned for it. It's nothing like when Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda released like 3 days apart, or whatever it was, but to each his own!

Considering how much I loved Origins, seeing those systems cranked up to 11 was mighty impressive to me. Granted, 5 hours does not a full game experience make, but I worried about choice having real impact (can't tell yet, but reviews all say there are some big moments in the game, with 9 different endings), and scaling. Any time enemies level with you, there's a chance that gear and skill upgrades can be irrelevant. Not so from what I experienced earlier today. I was struggling mightily with a gang of enemies, and almost died. Then I upgraded all of my gear, and pretty much 2-hit everybody from that point on.

I really think, outside of some wonky voice acting already, they hit this one out of the park if you even REMOTELY liked Origins. If you didn't, it's not going to suddenly make you love the gameplay style, though.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

TCrouch wrote:Sheesh...3 1/2 weeks between AC and RDR2! :lol: I'm all over both, as that's a long window in between games for me. But I knew October was going to suck anyway as far as games coming out, so I sort of planned for it. It's nothing like when Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda released like 3 days apart, or whatever it was, but to each his own!

Considering how much I loved Origins, seeing those systems cranked up to 11 was mighty impressive to me. Granted, 5 hours does not a full game experience make, but I worried about choice having real impact (can't tell yet, but reviews all say there are some big moments in the game, with 9 different endings), and scaling. Any time enemies level with you, there's a chance that gear and skill upgrades can be irrelevant. Not so from what I experienced earlier today. I was struggling mightily with a gang of enemies, and almost died. Then I upgraded all of my gear, and pretty much 2-hit everybody from that point on.

I really think, outside of some wonky voice acting already, they hit this one out of the park if you even REMOTELY liked Origins. If you didn't, it's not going to suddenly make you love the gameplay style, though.
IGN’s review said it was AMAZING and “easily, the best in the series”. I loved Origins too but I have Spider-Man, Tomb Raider and RDR2...all great games. Might pick it up eventually.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'll pick it up at some point, but between sports games and FH4, I don't have time. My wife will want it and play through it, but she has been slammed at work and hasn't played a game in months. But she will also want to play the new Tomb Raider and Spiderman.

I'll get RDR2 as my next game, but it may not be a day one now, as I'm pretty happy with what Have on my plate right now.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

TCrouch wrote:Sheesh...3 1/2 weeks between AC and RDR2! :lol: I'm all over both.

Yes!

Both are slam dunk day one buys for Me.

Good times.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Sheesh...3 1/2 weeks between AC and RDR2! :lol: I'm all over both.

Yes!

Both are slam dunk day one buys for Me.

Good times.
Well AC is out.:)

Oops, check that. Only the super dooper version is out. The serfs have to wait for 10/5
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'll try to avoid writing a novel (for the first time ever), and just make a note about one feature that needs to be in every open world game going forward.

When the game starts, it asks you whether you want to play in "Guided Mode" (like every AC game ever), or "Exploration Mode". It goes as far as to say Exploration mode is how the game was intended to be played.

When you start the game in Exploration mode and take a quest, the quest giver gives basic descriptions. When you ask "where is the vineyard?" and they mention it's just south of a large statue, nestled in a valley. When you look up and find the statue, you now have a landmark in the world to use to navigate, instead of a big map marker.

As quests start coming more frequently, you have basic info in your quest log. Down the coast, west of this camp, north of a mountain, etc. This leads to you actually exploring the world and investigating things more thoroughly. It is one of the coolest ways to play an open world game I've seen, especially when you turn the markers off on the compass and overworld map (you can still have "?" marks and POIs enabled on the map, so when in exploration mode you still sort of know where things are based on icons. Turning those off ups the immersion).

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Gotta get through Spider-Man and only have 23 days to do it until RDR 2 releases. Add to that FH4 along with PES 2019 and NBA 2K19, I simply don't have any time to even look at this game.

Sounds like the reviews are very positive. Enjoy guys!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Game is a lot of fun but I'm not seeing the consequences for your actions they were talking about. Like you can complete a quest then kill the quest giver with no consequences.

Still game is just a ton of fun.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Not sure how far you are, but there are some pretty big changes depending some some decisions I've made already.

It's not like you can kill anybody and there's a spiderweb of repercussions, though. It's more like quest choices that you make that will affect later events that occur.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:Not sure how far you are, but there are some pretty big changes depending some some decisions I've made already.

It's not like you can kill anybody and there's a spiderweb of repercussions, though. It's more like quest choices that you make that will affect later events that occur.
Right, I see the choices and consequences I just was expecting a bit more. I read a review that compared this to the Witcher 3 and I don't think it is at that level but like I said it is a ton of fun. I restarted as the female character because the male guys voice was bugging me.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The more I play this game the more I like it.

I'm positive like every other AC game I will never finish it because of the sheer amount of things to do but it doesn't detract from the fun and how visually stunning this game is. Taking your ship out to sea, the waves and dolphins following your boat. The fact there is enough detail to include coloration changes in the water as you get closer to shore, climbing a mountain just to look around etc. Ubisoft has certainly mastered the terrain and setting of an open world.

It of course suffers from some of the quirks of an open world game. You'll stumble on locations with no reference point like someones grave, clean out the area and have no idea if it was a plot point somewhere. The Spartans and Ahtenean's are at work and sometimes they just stroll by each other as if waiting for you to start the fight and other times they got at it. I've yet to see a really pitched battle and it's funny to see 6 Spartan's taking down one enemy while another archer is firing away from a distance with no one caring.

However with all its quirks I'm having a blast with this game even though I am not far along because I explore every nook and cranny and do every stupid side quest.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:The more I play this game the more I like it.

Yes !

Yes I have played a lot since friday and not gotten very far.

It is a good time for sure.

Just worried I will have to put it aside when RDR hits.

I great problem to have.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

XXXIV wrote: a lot since friday and not gotten very far.
I think I played for 7 hours before the opening credits rolled to tell me the game was really starting.

Also I meant the Spartan's and Athenians were at war, not work LOL.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Really this game offers an option for almost any play style, whether it is Splinter Cell style stealth or snipping or bloodborne style combat. I'm just amazed how the further I get in this game the deeper it gets. I may of sold it very shot in the beginning with my comments on story.

People should really get this game, it's one of the best of the year.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

TCrouch wrote:
When the game starts, it asks you whether you want to play in "Guided Mode" (like every AC game ever), or "Exploration Mode". It goes as far as to say Exploration mode is how the game was intended to be played.

Slow as she goes but it is exploration mode for the win.

Always getting side tracked. This game will take me forever.

I need to get to bed.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The only reason this doesn't win GOTY is likely RDR2 has so much hype there is no way that won't win.

Honestly this game should not be missed by anyone. You could play this game for 100 hours and still have things to do and there are so many "just stop and look around moments" that I've lost track of giving examples.

If i had to nitpick one aspect it is the mouse wheel for equipment, every 15 minutes your finding something just a bit better and often it doesn't make sense. A rare item, not being as good a a common item. Engraving also feels like a waste of time because you do it and then 20 minutes later you have better equipment. I think it just gives it out too fast.

I've also never been a fan of enemies leveling up to your level. It's an odd way to balance a game but I've not ventured off the path to areas that are much higher than my current level so maybe that is an invalid comment.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I found a game-changing item last night--Poseidon's Trident.

That trident gave me a new engraving, which allows me to enchant any weapon I'm using to allow water breathing.

Suddenly, underwater exploration/combat got way, WAY more fun...

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

This sounds like the perfect game to play in January. Origins was a great game, this one sounds even better, so no doubt I will enjoy it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It takes some time for the story to get going but when it does, boy is it good.

I also realized last night, my character...she is a murdering psychopath.

* Climb up a cliff to see what that ? is on the map.
* Oh a hunters camp, not hostile "Hey you stay away from here"
* Oh you're not telling me where I can go. Sneak through the bushes murder every one of them and their hunting dogs as well. Steall all their belongings.
* Hmm this was a pretty nice camp with a wolf den nearby and an excellent view of the valley... Oh s*** another ? over there let see what we got.

:D :D
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

This game world is so huge with so much to do.

I wish that RDR2 wasnt coming out til Xmas. :P 8)

What a problem to have.