NBA Season 2019/20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2018/19

Post by Rodster »

The Jimmy Butler saga is just getting started. Like I said, i'm glad he did not windup in Miami.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:The Jimmy Butler saga is just getting started. Like I said, i'm glad he did not windup in Miami.
What he is saying about Brett Brown has a lot of validity. Serious Sixers fans know Brett Brown’s days are numbered. He has proven time and time again he doesn’t know how to coach in the second half. I love what the guy has done to bring us up from the doldrums but a change is coming.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:The Jimmy Butler saga is just getting started. Like I said, i'm glad he did not windup in Miami.
What he is saying about Brett Brown has a lot of validity. Serious Sixers fans know Brett Brown’s days are numbered. He has proven time and time again he doesn’t know how to coach in the second half. I love what the guy has done to bring us up from the doldrums but a change is coming.
He's a top 15 NBA player so skills is not an issue but everywhere the guy lands he's starting some sh*t. He did it Chicago with coaches and players and the same thing happened in Minnesota. He's a great hard working player that at times is seriously unstable.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
He's a top 15 NBA player so skills is not an issue but everywhere the guy lands he's starting some sh*t. He did it Chicago with coaches and players and the same thing happened in Minnesota. He's a great hard working player that at times is seriously unstable.
I wasn’t referring to Butler with my ‘doldrums’ quote above. I was referring to Brown.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Went to Suns and Sixers last Wed in Phoenix. My goodness Embid is a beast. I cannot believe how dominant that dude is. He and Simmons just murdered the Suns inside. Just didn't have the strength or size at all down low to keep them in check. Those guys are gonna be a tough out in the East.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Porzingis to Dallas for Dennis Smith Jr. and essentially cap space. Forget all of the other "assets" in the deal.

The Knicks traded their best young player since Ewing for a wing and a prayer that space for two max contracts this summer will be enough to attract KD and another elite free agent.

I'm LIVID. Scott Mills is an idiot. Same guy who traded for Andrea Bargnani. Same guy who agreed to deal for Melo when he would have signed as a free agent four months later and also gave him a no-trade clause, both moves that crippled the franchise. Same guy who could have drafted Dennis Smith Jr. two years ago and instead took Ntilikina.

I'm a Knicks' fan to the core. But sometimes that loyalty feels like putting your balls into a tight, spiked vise.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Porzingis to Dallas for Dennis Smith Jr. and essentially cap space. Forget all of the other "assets" in the deal.

The Knicks traded their best young player since Ewing for a wing and a prayer that space for two max contracts this summer will be enough to attract KD and another elite free agent.

I'm LIVID. Scott Mills is an idiot. Same guy who traded for Andrea Bargnani. Same guy who agreed to deal for Melo when he would have signed as a free agent four months later and also gave him a no-trade clause, both moves that crippled the franchise. Same guy who could have drafted Dennis Smith Jr. two years ago and instead took Ntilikina.

I'm a Knicks' fan to the core. But sometimes that loyalty feels like putting your balls into a tight, spiked vise.
Now you know how I felt and the rest of NY when the Mets traded Tom Seaver to the Reds. Hardaway Jr isn't a bad player either though not in the KP superstar category. Mark Cuban is building a nice young core out in the West.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:Porzingis to Dallas for Dennis Smith Jr. and essentially cap space. Forget all of the other "assets" in the deal.

Seems like a real swing for the fences type of move. Maybe even desperate.

They really better get two big names signed in the offseason, if trading away KP was about opening up cap space.

Incidentally, they had to free up cap space because they had signed Hardaway Jr. to such a big contract last summer.

Thing is, Knicks have a loyal fanbase, with good attendance at MSG despite the lean years they've been going through.

If the Knicks don't win championships in the next 3-5 years, would the fans stop coming to MSG or watching the games on local TV? Because to trade away KP in order to open up two max slots seems like an attempt to make the team contenders within a couple of years.

BTW with Lebron trying to manipulate Anthony Davis onto the Lakers, basically trying to strong-arm a small market team barely hanging on, before he gets too old, is something to behold.

Who can say the NBA is boring?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I think the League should crackdown hard on these in contract leaks and moves. One million dollar fine to both player and agent if it becomes known a player wants to leave his team. This stuff is starting to get ridiculous. Now Davis is saying he won’t re-sign with the Celtics if Kyrie Irving doesn’t re-up in Boston. KP, is now saying he may not re-sign with the Mavs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I think the League should crackdown hard on these in contract leaks and moves. One million dollar fine to both player and agent if it becomes known a player wants to leave his team. This stuff is starting to get ridiculous. Now Davis is saying he won’t re-sign with the Celtics if Kyrie Irving doesn’t re-up in Boston. KP, is now saying he may not re-sign with the Mavs.
Could not disagree more. Constant player movement and the associated reports, social media, etc., are key aspects of what makes the NBA far more fun than any North American sports league.

Yeah, I'm not too hopeful the Knicks will handle this situation properly and sign two elite max-contract free agents this summer. But the NBA is the only league that could usurp the Super Bowl during game week, all because of this player movement and reporting associated with it.

What's going on in baseball right now? Who is signing Harper? Who is even talking about Harper? What NFL deals are ever discussed during the regular season? Hell, what NFL teams make blockbuster trades these days?

The NBA is like a real-life game of MyFranchise in NBA 2K. That's FUN. Plus why shouldn't the players have the power? They are the league; they're the reason people watch. You're free to leave your job and find a new one, right? Why should athletes be any different?

And what is the basketball media supposed to do? Not report these things? Ace reporters like Woj, Zach Lowe, Marc Stein and Shams also make the NBA the best follow on social media of any major sports league, by a f*cking mile.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I think the League should crackdown hard on these in contract leaks and moves. One million dollar fine to both player and agent if it becomes known a player wants to leave his team. This stuff is starting to get ridiculous. Now Davis is saying he won’t re-sign with the Celtics if Kyrie Irving doesn’t re-up in Boston. KP, is now saying he may not re-sign with the Mavs.
Could not disagree more. Constant player movement and the associated reports, social media, etc., are key aspects of what makes the NBA far more fun than any North American sports league.

Yeah, I'm not too hopeful the Knicks will handle this situation properly and sign two elite max-contract free agents this summer. But the NBA is the only league that could usurp the Super Bowl during game week, all because of this player movement and reporting associated with it.

What's going on in baseball right now? Who is signing Harper? Who is even talking about Harper? What NFL deals are ever discussed during the regular season? Hell, what NFL teams make blockbuster trades these days?

The NBA is like a real-life game of MyFranchise in NBA 2K. That's FUN. Plus why shouldn't the players have the power? They are the league; they're the reason people watch. You're free to leave your job and find a new one, right? Why should athletes be any different?

And what is the basketball media supposed to do? Not report these things? Ace reporters like Woj, Zach Lowe, Marc Stein and Shams also make the NBA the best follow on social media of any major sports league, by a f*cking mile.
While I do agree with most of what you said, it makes it so 90% of the teams have virtually no chance to compete in the playoffs. No one is bringing a super team to Denver, or to Cleveland or the Nets. It’s the main reason I can’t really get into the NBA anymore. The Suns have had a dozen or so “big name” guys in for recruiting trips and they haven’t gotten one since the mid 90s. Sad.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:While I do agree with most of what you said, it makes it so 90% of the teams have virtually no chance to compete in the playoffs. No one is bringing a super team to Denver, or to Cleveland or the Nets. It’s the main reason I can’t really get into the NBA anymore. The Suns have had a dozen or so “big name” guys in for recruiting trips and they haven’t gotten one since the mid 90s. Sad.
As a casual fan that also seems to describe Baseball in it's current state. Out of the four major sports, the NFL still holds the trophy for league parity. But how ironic my beloved Miami Heat started this super team nonsense back in 2010.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:While I do agree with most of what you said, it makes it so 90% of the teams have virtually no chance to compete in the playoffs. No one is bringing a super team to Denver, or to Cleveland or the Nets. It’s the main reason I can’t really get into the NBA anymore. The Suns have had a dozen or so “big name” guys in for recruiting trips and they haven’t gotten one since the mid 90s. Sad.
Warriors' recency bias. That won't happen again because there won't be a massive spike in the salary cap like two summers ago.

Plus there's a very good chance that the Eastern Conference champion this season will come from the tiny NBA market of Milwaukee or the chilly, basketball-is-third (behind Leafs and Jays) big market of Toronto.

How much of the Suns' problem is the market, and how much of it is the fact Robert Sarver is a f*cking idiot as an owner? One of the reasons the Knicks attract no one is because owner Jim Dolan is a moron who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

OKC was able to keep PG-13 because it's a stable, well-run franchise despite being a tiny NBA market. It can be done when competent people are left alone to run the franchise.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:How much of the Suns' problem is the market, and how much of it is the fact Robert Sarver is a f*cking idiot as an owner? One of the reasons the Knicks attract no one is because owner Jim Dolan is a moron who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.
Not sure...but I do know they make stupid decisions regularly. Hence this from Woj today:

“Oh, they weren’t rumors,” Woj said of the Porzingis-Suns rumors leading up to the 2017 draft. “Phoenix, if they were willing to give up the No. 4 pick, which was Josh Jackson, they would’ve gotten him.”

That’s a tough pill to swallow looking back on that exchange, especially for how low the cost would’ve been before Porzingis even tore his ACL. Instead of still giving false hope to having the Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss selections panning out, the Suns could have paired Booker with an affordable young star making them immediately more marketable for free agents if all went well.

Remember, Phoenix also was the team who backed out of trade talks that would’ve sent Kyrie Irving to Phoenix for just Eric Bledsoe and Jackson.

Within a one-month span during the summer of 2017, it’s now been confirmed that the Suns backed out of deals where they would’ve been able to get Porzingis or Irving on a cost-controlled deal until 2019. And the main price point in both deals was only the rights to Jackson.

Gonna go cry now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Why in the F are the Suns trading for Tyler Johnson and his RIDICULOUS contract? Makes no damn sense. Doesn't fit with the team at all. That said, no one really fits in Phoenix so it doesn't matter, but why waste money on TJ? He's terrible for the money.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Why in the F are the Suns trading for Tyler Johnson and his RIDICULOUS contract? Makes no damn sense. Doesn't fit with the team at all. That said, no one really fits in Phoenix so it doesn't matter, but why waste money on TJ? He's terrible for the money.
Is Ryan Anderson any better than TJ? It looks like a salary dump for the Heat. From what I read, Anderson in his final year will cost the Heat $15 mil vs close to $20 mil for TJ. TJ isn't a bad player, he's not a star but a good complimentary player. At least he hustles when he plays, lack of teeth confirms that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Is Ryan Anderson any better than TJ? It looks like a salary dump for the Heat. From what I read, Anderson in his final year will cost the Heat $15 mil vs close to $20 mil for TJ. TJ isn't a bad player, he's not a star but a good complimentary player. At least he hustles when he plays, lack of teeth confirms that.
Ryan Anderson hasn't gotten his ass off the Phoenix bench since November. He's done. He used to be a useful player, but no longer. So clearly this trade is a salary dump type trade that really won't benefit either team on the actual court.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well at least James Jones hasn't helped the Lakers trade successfully for AD.

Yet.

Lets see if he's as loyal to Lebron as some people suspect.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Well at least James Jones hasn't helped the Lakers trade successfully for AD.

Yet.

Lets see if he's as loyal to Lebron as some people suspect.
If it nets the Suns Ball, then I'm cool with it. Can't wait to watch he and Sarver go at it in the media.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It’s too late for an April Fools joke but CBS Sports is saying Magic has stepped down from his Lakers post and there are reports no one has seen him for weeks. The Lakers are a mess and it’s something LBJ did not signup for. They traded D’Angelo Russell who had a breakout year and became an All Star for Lonzo Ball.

Does The Brow want to even go to LA anymore?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Apparently he’s telling the media he’s stepping down but hasn’t even told the owner.

He said he can’t be a statesman of the game while working for the Lakers.

I think he wants to be in studio to talk about the playoffs.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Apparently he’s telling the media he’s stepping down but hasn’t even told the owner.

He said he can’t be a statesman of the game while working for the Lakers.

I think he wants to be in studio to talk about the playoffs.
I wouldn’t doubt that. Few former players have found success switching to the front office, including Phil Jackson who was a disaster in NYC. Pat Riley is the only former player and Coach who’s had success who I can think of. There could be others, though.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Look at MJs track record.

A lot of bad draft picks and now, they may pay too much for Kemba. But they don’t have anything else so he may have no choice.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I forgot about Isaiah Thomas, he was also a disaster in NYC coaching and running the Knicks front office.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:It’s too late for an April Fools joke but CBS Sports is saying Magic has stepped down from his Lakers post and there are reports no one has seen him for weeks. The Lakers are a mess and it’s something LBJ did not signup for. They traded D’Angelo Russell who had a breakout year and became an All Star for Lonzo Ball.

Does The Brow want to even go to LA anymore?
LeBron is part of the problem. He's one of the greatest players in NBA history, but he's also one of the worst GMs. Look at the signings made in Cleveland (part II) and LA with his approval.

Hell, just look at the Lakers' signings this year. JaVale McGee? Rajon Rondo? Lance Stephenson? KCP? All ridiculous signings, all blessed by LeBron. You're blind and ignorant if you think Magic and Pelinka didn't vet every one of these potential signings with LeBron before making the deals.

The Celtics, Knicks and Clippers all can make more attractive offers to the Pelicans for Davis than the Lakers. The only scenario in which the Lakers move to the front of the AD Derby is if they fulfill their 3 percent chance to get the top pick in the lottery. Zion in LA changes EVERYTHING.