NBA Season 2019/20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2018/19

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
wco81 wrote:Apparently he’s telling the media he’s stepping down but hasn’t even told the owner.

He said he can’t be a statesman of the game while working for the Lakers.

I think he wants to be in studio to talk about the playoffs.
I wouldn’t doubt that. Few former players have found success switching to the front office, including Phil Jackson who was a disaster in NYC. Pat Riley is the only former player and Coach who’s had success who I can think of. There could be others, though.
Magic and Phil shared a common trait as GMs in L.A. and N.Y., according to many sources -- neither wanted to work very hard. Working as an elite GM requires a ton of flights, trips around the world to scout players, constant contact with scouts, etc.

Magic and Phil wanted the adulation and respect without putting in the long hours.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
wco81 wrote:Apparently he’s telling the media he’s stepping down but hasn’t even told the owner.

He said he can’t be a statesman of the game while working for the Lakers.

I think he wants to be in studio to talk about the playoffs.
I wouldn’t doubt that. Few former players have found success switching to the front office, including Phil Jackson who was a disaster in NYC. Pat Riley is the only former player and Coach who’s had success who I can think of. There could be others, though.
Magic and Phil shared a common trait as GMs in L.A. and N.Y., according to many sources -- neither wanted to work very hard. Working as an elite GM requires a ton of flights, trips around the world to scout players, constant contact with scouts, etc.

Magic and Phil wanted the adulation and respect without putting in the long hours.
Chris Bosh said he was being recruited for a Miami front office gig and turned it down because he said if you take that job seriously you are basically working 24x7 365 days a yr.

Here's what he said: "While it’s not uncommon for retired players to transition into a front office role, Bosh said he doesn’t want to deal with the busyness so soon. “I could easily plug back into the game and try to regain that life that I once had, in some kind of way, in the GM office or the front office,” the NBA champion said. “Those guys work hard. You can’t have a life, working 24/7.”

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Epic shot, epic ending to game 7. Congrats to Raptors fans, Kawhi was a beast. Now Philly is faced with a ton of questions about Brett Brown and their FA’s.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I listened to Zach Lowe's NBA podcast two weeks ago with shooting coach David Thorpe, and he said nobody in the NBA puts more straight rotation on their shot than Kawhi because he has HUGE hands and strong wrists.

We saw what that rotation can do once the ball hits the rim last night. Incredible shot. I'll never forget it.

Two ridiculously entertaining Game 7's to cap a fantastic second round after a sh*tty first round. I'm afraid the conference finals won't be as good as the second round. Predictions: Golden State in 5, Milwaukee in 6.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Offseason is going to be huge.

That will be at the beginning of July but it kind of starts with the draft lottery on Tuesday — though NBA May already have determined which team wins it already.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Predictions: Golden State in 5, Milwaukee in 6.
With the Kahwi factor i'm holding out hope for Toronto. I don't think they've ever been to the NBA Finals.
wco81 wrote:Offseason is going to be huge.

That will be at the beginning of July but it kind of starts with the draft lottery on Tuesday — though NBA May already have determined which team wins it already.
Agreed, lots of movement to be expected from Philly and Boston. Then there's rumors of AD and KD going to the Knicks. What I think would be a wrong move is to gamble on trading Zion Williamson if the Knicks get the 1st overall pick to acquire AD. Supposedly Zion is the type of generational player LeBron was coming out of High School.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Offseason is going to be huge.

Another frozen envelope for the Knicks, baby! :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Golden State in 5. Milwaukee in 6. Zion to the Knicks courtesy of Frozen Envelope II.

Book it. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Zion to the Knicks courtesy of Frozen Envelope II.

Only to be used as trade bait for Anthony Davis so they can sign KD and or Kyrie Irving. Knicks ownership will find someway to screw up a good thing, they always do. And this is from someone who grew up watching the Knicks in their heyday. Patrick Ewing was about the only thing they got right in a long time that they didn't find a way to screw it up. They even managed to screw up KP and ship him off to Dallas.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Zion to the Knicks courtesy of Frozen Envelope II.

Only to be used as trade bait for Anthony Davis so they can sign KD and or Kyrie Irving. Knicks ownership will find someway to screw up a good thing, they always do. And this is from someone who grew up watching the Knicks in their heyday. Patrick Ewing was about the only thing they got right in a long time that they didn't find a way to screw it up. They even managed to screw up KP and ship him off to Dallas.
The Porzingis deal is looking better and better in hindsight.

One, there's little question the injury shredded his knee. I know the Knicks and Mavs were being careful, but the guy has missed 14 months. Big men usually aren't the same after catastrophic injuries like that, and KP already was injury-prone before his knee was hurt.

Two, KP might not be the nice guy everyone thought. He was accused of rape the night or two after he hurt his knee. He was just involved in a bloody fight in a Latvian nightclub over the weekend. This dude just might be trouble, and his posse may be a bunch of Eastern Euro gangsters.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So somehow New Orleans lucks out and wins the top spot in the lottery and the Knicks pick 3rd. The Lakers jumped up into the top four. I think it would be better if the NBA used the draft model the NFL has. I realize the NBA is trying to discourage tanking but a team like the Knicks with the worse record gets the 3rd pick is not right either or maybe the League needs to redo the odds of the lottery so the team with the worse record has a higher chance of getting the 1st pick..

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:So somehow New Orleans lucks out and wins the top spot in the lottery and the Knicks pick 3rd. The Lakers jumped up into the top four. I think it would be better if the NBA used the draft model the NFL has. I realize the NBA is trying to discourage tanking but a team like the Knicks with the worse record gets the 3rd pick is not right either or maybe the League needs to redo the odds of the lottery so the team with the worse record has a higher chance of getting the 1st pick..
These are the results they want.

Lottery gives the league flexibility to help certain teams at certain times.

Lakers keep getting high picks and now there's already talk about them signing Kyrie, meaning the #2 they used on Lonzo would have been wasted. They already traded away or let go of Russell and Randle, two high picks.

But the NBA will keep giving them high picks until that team is back.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Rodster wrote:So somehow New Orleans lucks out and wins the top spot in the lottery and the Knicks pick 3rd. The Lakers jumped up into the top four. I think it would be better if the NBA used the draft model the NFL has. I realize the NBA is trying to discourage tanking but a team like the Knicks with the worse record gets the 3rd pick is not right either or maybe the League needs to redo the odds of the lottery so the team with the worse record has a higher chance of getting the 1st pick..
These are the results they want.

Lottery gives the league flexibility to help certain teams at certain times.

Lakers keep getting high picks and now there's already talk about them signing Kyrie, meaning the #2 they used on Lonzo would have been wasted. They already traded away or let go of Russell and Randle, two high picks.

But the NBA will keep giving them high picks until that team is back.
OK, but why New Orleans? They are a small to tiny NBA market. If the League was fixing the results, they should have chosen the Mecca of Basketball, the NYK. That’s a team the NBA would love to have relevant again especially with the history of Madison Square Garden.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I don't get it either but they want to keep that franchise viable because if one small market team goes down, it may usher in a lot more failures.

Remember that the NBA had to take ownership of that team for awhile before they got Benson to buy it.

Attendance is bad in a lot of arenas. For instance Detroit has a new arena and a lot of empty seats.

They could easily move one of the struggling teams to Seattle but that only works once.

I guess they want to keep 30 team league at all costs.

You'd think with the hype of Zion, they'd want to get him to a big market.

But they've helped small market teams via the lottery before, like Orlando and San Antonio getting two #1 picks within a couple of years.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It might be too early but the Raptors are looking good for their first NBA title and I hope they get it. The Raptors GM took a MEGA risk in trading for Kawhi Leonard in the hopes they'd get to this point and it's paid dividends. Now the City of Toronto is doing everything they can to convince him to stay even offering him free stuff but I think he'll bail for the West Coast probably the Clippers even if they win the title which they should.

The Warriors part time investment owner didn't do his team any favors when he shoved Lowry. Never give an opposing team incentive or added motivation to beat your team. Not when the opposing team has Leonard on the roster.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Congrats to Toronto fans. Their GM is looking like a genius even if Kawhi doesn't come back.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Hope Toronto has fun...I just cant see Kawahi signing in Toronto. You can get all sentimental if you want but I just don’t see it. If he proves me wrong good for Toronto.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Hope Toronto has fun...I just cant see Kawahi signing in Toronto. You can get all sentimental if you want but I just don’t see it. If he proves me wrong good for Toronto.
And no one in Toronto will really care. They got their rings/trophy...so if he leaves, he's still a hero in Toronto and will never buy a drink again. More power to him really.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

While all signs point to him leaving, no one really knows but him. Look at PG13, everyone thought he was LA bound and he wouldn't re-sign with OKC but he did.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well it was a good run.

I guess the Warriors had enough success. It was going to end eventually but looks like it will be abrupt.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Congrats to Toronto fans. Their GM is looking like a genius even if Kawhi doesn't come back.
Masai might be enough of a genius to sign the $10 million per year offer that Washington is dangling in front of him. The deal allegedly includes franchise ownership equity, too.

Tempting.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Hope Toronto has fun...I just cant see Kawahi signing in Toronto. You can get all sentimental if you want but I just don’t see it. If he proves me wrong good for Toronto.
And no one in Toronto will really care. They got their rings/trophy...so if he leaves, he's still a hero in Toronto and will never buy a drink again. More power to him really.
Yep. Kawhi can't lose regardless of his decision.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Well it was a good run.

I guess the Warriors had enough success. It was going to end eventually but looks like it will be abrupt.
Especially with Klay's ACL tear. The Warriors will start next season with Curry and Mr. "30 Turnovers in Six Finals Games" Draymond as their core.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rumors are that he already bought a house in the suburbs, and that was even before the series with the Warriors. Geez weez, he’s considered a complete hero not only in Toronto but the entire country where the bandwagon started to get longer after their win vs your 76’ers with that buzzer shot that took forever to make the basket.

Imagine the mixed reactions here in Lotus land where we usually hate Toronto, we lost the Grizzlies thanks to the awful job by Stu Jackson (who remembers ‘big country’ Reeves) only to watch our cousin expansion Raptors win it all.

A fantastic run during the playoffs amplified with the win against the Mavs where everyone thought they would get swept after the first game. That series got everyone’s attention.

Kudos for Masai for gathering the right pieces, Gasol was huge during this run, Siakam was big during the first and 6th game, undrafted Fred Vanvleet, Ibaka on the rebounds.

How about hiring Nick Nurse a thinker outside of the box type of guy. Although I still doubt about his timeout in game five when the Raptors were on a bit of a roll.

How about when DeRozan was traded before the season started, hell the team would never make it even to the playoffs, or so everyone thought.

He assembled the right pieces at the right time. The team just rode on Leonard and never let go. Of course any championship team relies a bit on luck too, and they got it with key injuries with GS.

Whether Kawhi comes back or not, the mission is accomplished. In fact, I think a lot will have to do with what Ujiri wants to do with his own future even though he’s still under contract.

Great win by the Raptors, there were many Jurassic parks watching those guys in different parts of this world. Just get rid of Drake. :twisted:

Basketball got the attention back in Canada, and provided that the time is right, with the right owners and better GM, should the league expand again, Vancouver is ready to roam back into action.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So the Lakers became relevant again and wow it cost them big time. The report says The Brow is heading to LA for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three 1st rd picks. So this year New Orleans have the 1st and 4th picks in the draft. Just think that LA gave up on D'Angelo Russell to take Lonzo Ball.