NBA Season 2019/20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2018/19

Post by Rodster »

Butler to Philly for 3 players (Saric, Covington and Bayless) and a 2022 2nd rd pick. CBS Sports is already declaring the Sixers as Elite in the East. Well the Celtics have been playing non-elite BB and the only really Elite team are the Toronto Raptors. Honestly i'm glad he's not headed to Miami. He is talented no doubt but man does he have Thibs mileage on him. He was recently complaining about Thibs playing him 41 minutes in a game.

At 34 if he's even remotely the same player at that age Philly will be on the hook for at least $40 plus million the last two years of his contract. I don't know if he's worth $190 million. Nice pickup for the Sixers right now but be careful what you ask for because although he's talented, he's a lightning rod and can be disruptive if things don't go right.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No love for the Bucks as elite, Rod? They just beat the Warriors by 20 in Oakland. Draymond was out for GS, but that was still a statement win.

There are four elite teams in the East -- Toronto, Philly, Boston and Milwaukee. Significant drop-off after that.

Don't sleep on Milwaukee. Far more to that team than Giannis. Budd is an excellent coach, Middleton is one of the more underrated players in the NBA, and Henson, Brogdon, Lopez, Bledsoe and Ilyasova are solid NBA players. Plus Connaughton and DeVincenzo give a nice boost deep from the bench.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:No love for the Bucks as elite, Rod? They just beat the Warriors by 20 in Oakland. Draymond was out for GS, but that was still a statement win.

There are four elite teams in the East -- Toronto, Philly, Boston and Milwaukee. Significant drop-off after that.

Don't sleep on Milwaukee. Far more to that team than Giannis. Budd is an excellent coach, Middleton is one of the more underrated players in the NBA, and Henson, Brogdon, Lopez, Bledsoe and Ilyasova are solid NBA players. Plus Connaughton and DeVincenzo give a nice boost deep from the bench.
I forgot about Milwaukee and the Greek Freak but still it appears the only really Elite team atm that can go to the NBA Finals in the East, is Toronto. Although it’s still early in the season, I can’t see any of the other teams beating Toronto. That said a lot can change but I definitely can’t wait to see Toronto and Philly play.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Long season left.

Hard to draw conclusions from just a dozen games.

There was an ebb and flow last season. Boston started out hot, stalled when Kyrie got hurt and then got hot in the playoffs.

Philly finished the season strong and then had its flaws exposed in one series.

Philly may not necessarily sign Butler unless they get farther than last year.

It’s a big FA market so they may want to keep their powder dry.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What did Philly see in Markelle Fultz? I watched the game last night between the Sixers and Miami and Fultz has got to have one of the more unconventional shots in the NBA. His FT mechanics are cringe worthy. I can't see this ending well with Butler getting all over teammates who can't shoot the ball.

After watching the game last night, the Butler pick was the right move for them. Ben Simmonds can't shoot either unless he's at close range. The only guys who can shoot 3's are Embiid and Reddick.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:What did Philly see in Markelle Fultz? I watched the game last night between the Sixers and Miami and Fultz has got to have one of the more unconventional shots in the NBA. His FT mechanics are cringe worthy. I can't see this ending well with Butler getting all over teammates who can't shoot the ball.

After watching the game last night, the Butler pick was the right move for them. Ben Simmonds can't shoot either unless he's at close range. The only guys who can shoot 3's are Embiid and Reddick.
Before Fultz got hurt he was one of the most dynamic guards to come out of college in quite some time. Something happened to him...just not sure what. Mentally or physically he still doesn't look right. I'm sure he's going to get traded and someone is going to take a shot on him. We'll see.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:What did Philly see in Markelle Fultz? I watched the game last night between the Sixers and Miami and Fultz has got to have one of the more unconventional shots in the NBA. His FT mechanics are cringe worthy. I can't see this ending well with Butler getting all over teammates who can't shoot the ball.

Before Fultz got hurt he was one of the most dynamic guards to come out of college in quite some time. Something happened to him...just not sure what. Mentally or physically he still doesn't look right. I'm sure he's going to get traded and someone is going to take a shot on him. We'll see.
I wasn't aware he got injured and really never paid attention to him. It sounds like another Pat Riley/Miami reclamation project.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I wasn't aware he got injured and really never paid attention to him. It sounds like another Pat Riley/Miami reclamation project.
His rookie year he played in 14 games...total. Had a shoulder injury which made him alter his shot. That's why the Sixers shut him down. Never been the same.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Lonzo was drafted #2 in that draft class and his shot is busted too.

Josh Jackson at #4, another bricklayer who’s losing playing time already early in his second season.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

I wasn't aware he got injured and really never paid attention to him. It sounds like another Pat Riley/Miami reclamation project.
Fultz suffered his shoulder injury due to changing his shot mechanics leading into the Draft. I don't know who his advisers are, but they're morons. Unconventional long-range jumpers that go in count just as much as silky-smooth threes by Curry and KD.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/13/1700 ... ap-summary
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Lonzo was drafted #2 in that draft class and his shot is busted too.

Josh Jackson at #4, another bricklayer who’s losing playing time already early in his second season.
Lonzo never had a good shot at UCLA. Fultz could shoot at Washington, and then some "swami" in his crew convinced him he needed to change his mechanics to be a good shooter in the NBA. Fultz obliged and got hurt.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

He shot 41% in college from 3.

But shot under 65% FT. That may be a tell.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The new freedom of movement rules is beginning to suck big time. How's this for a call, roughly 2 secs left in the 1st qtr between the Lakers and Heat. KCP is behind the 3pt line. Tyler Johnson jumps straight up in the air and gives KCP ample space, he's just trying to obstruct his view. KCP then shoots the ball and leans his body in and towards Johnson and makes contact with TJ. TJ gets called for the foul and KCP shoots three FT's.

Man, that just makes me want to go on a XXXIV classic rant :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:The new freedom of movement rules is beginning to suck big time. How's this for a call, roughly 2 secs left in the 1st qtr between the Lakers and Heat. KCP is behind the 3pt line. Tyler Johnson jumps straight up in the air and gives KCP ample space, he's just trying to obstruct his view. KCP then shoots the ball and leans his body in and towards Johnson and makes contact with TJ. TJ gets called for the foul and KCP shoots three FT's.

Agree. A defender has a right to his vertical aerial space, too.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Probably in the playoffs, these new rules will be discarded.

Not officially but the way they will be applied.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:The new freedom of movement rules is beginning to suck big time. How's this for a call, roughly 2 secs left in the 1st qtr between the Lakers and Heat. KCP is behind the 3pt line. Tyler Johnson jumps straight up in the air and gives KCP ample space, he's just trying to obstruct his view. KCP then shoots the ball and leans his body in and towards Johnson and makes contact with TJ. TJ gets called for the foul and KCP shoots three FT's.

Agree. A defender has a right to his vertical aerial space, too.
My biggest beef in the NBA are the officials. Drives me up the wall how they blow the superstars and anticipate fouls that never end up happening.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Move over Embiid, there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Butler. So it appears Embiid is a little perturbed to say the least that he's been assigned the role to stay away from the basket and create space for the slasher Jimmy Butler. Wait a minute, isn't that what Embiid does well? He has an outside game, can attack the rim and slash to the rim. It looks like Brett Brown just wants Embiid to concentrate on his outside game. So now that role looks to have been given to J.B. I'm curious to see how Embiid handles this and whether he gets pissed off and decides he too wants to leave?

Quite a few notable sports writers were also curious to see how the Butler marriage would work out. I'm glad he stayed away from Miami.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Butler has been awesome since arriving...both play wise and teammate wise. Embiid’s role has changed, it will evolve and he will be fine. He is the most important piece.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Problem is Simmons is not a threat to score outside the paint and that is where Embid is most efficient.

Butler gives them another scorer but he's not going to give the team spacing. He also likes to post from about 15 feet out or be a threat to go to the rack.

Sixers played the best at the end of last season when Bellinelli and Irsan gave them shooting from the outside but Celtics exploited the fact that they along with Reddick couldn't take their wings off the dribble.

Big decision looms at end of season on whether to sign Butler but if they end up a top 4 seed and at least get to the second round and are competitive, how can they not sign him?

If they hadn't made the trade, they weren't going to do as well as last season, though Wolves playing well with Covington and Saric now.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:Problem is Simmons is not a threat to score outside the paint and that is where Embid is most efficient.

Butler gives them another scorer but he's not going to give the team spacing. He also likes to post from about 15 feet out or be a threat to go to the rack.

Sixers played the best at the end of last season when Bellinelli and Irsan gave them shooting from the outside but Celtics exploited the fact that they along with Reddick couldn't take their wings off the dribble.

Big decision looms at end of season on whether to sign Butler but if they end up a top 4 seed and at least get to the second round and are competitive, how can they not sign him?

If they hadn't made the trade, they weren't going to do as well as last season, though Wolves playing well with Covington and Saric now.
Embiid is not most efficient from outside the paint. He has incredible touch from the perimeter for a 7’2” C but his bread and butter is on the block and his mid range game.

Belli and Illy were super from outside the arc but horrid defenders. The loss of Roco is a big one defensively. The Sixers definitely got better with the trade...but they also got thinner. Expect Brand to make a trade for another piece soon.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Problem is Simmons is not a threat to score outside the paint and that is where Embid is most efficient.

Embiid is not most efficient from outside the paint. He has incredible touch from the perimeter for a 7’2” C but his bread and butter is on the block and his mid range game.

Belli and Illy were super from outside the arc but horrid defenders. The loss of Roco is a big one defensively. The Sixers definitely got better with the trade...but they also got thinner. Expect Brand to make a trade for another piece soon.
I take back my first sentence. I thought you said from the three point line! Hahah. I love Embiid’s 12-15 foot game. Its lethal some nights.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Entertaining game between the Heat and Lakers. The big takeaway is that finally in his 4th year, Justice Winslow might be turning into the player the Heat and Celtics thought he would be. He’s had 3 or 4 straight games over 20 pts and tonight he led the team with 28 pts. Then there’s Derrick “Airplane Mode” Jones Jr who contributed with points and rebounds. Bam Adebayo continues to grow his game. I hate to see Wade retire but the Heat are beginning to develop a bunch of really good players.

Josh Richardson was given the lead role but it looks like Winslow is chasing him for that spot. I’m glad neither one of these guys were traded for Jimmy Butler. Granted JB is a top 15 NBA player but he’s quickly approaching the wrong side of 30. He’s a better fit with Philly because they didn’t have to give any of their young core players or draft picks which wasn’t the case if Miami traded for him.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I have absolutely no idea what lightbulb went off in Justice Winslow’s head but the dude is quickly blossoming into a star at the age of 22. This is a kid who up until recently deffered shots at all costs, would miss layups and clean open dunks. He was averaging for close to three years around 5-8 ppg.

Now he’s close to averaging in the high teens. Last night he had 22 pts with a few 3 pointers, he was a monster at the rim finishing layups and dunks all while playing from the point position. Against the Lakers he went off with 28pts and his defense has always been elite.

I’m glad he wasn’t doing this at the beginning of the year or he could have been trade bait for the Butler deal.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah good for him.

Kind of weird that he's playing well after signing an extension.

But Riley is fairly generous and Winslow was a much-coveted asset -- Ainge was willing to give up a lot for him.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Yeah good for him.

Kind of weird that he's playing well after signing an extension.

But Riley is fairly generous and Winslow was a much-coveted asset -- Ainge was willing to give up a lot for him.
Miami up until recently had no idea if Winslow would improve or just be an NBA role player off the bench. The contract he got proved that as he was given a 4 year deal with a “team option” in years 3 and 4.

Now it looks like the Heat are the winners with that contract. If he continues to play like he has and even improves he could turn into as many NBA draft experts projected him to be the next Kawhi Leonard.