NBA Season 2019/20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2019/20

Post by wco81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Going to Lakers/Clips tonight...gotta get in my visit to Staples when both Lebron and AD are healthy. So first game of the season it is. :)
Turns out Lebron wasn't healthy.

Or so he says after a game in which he was outshined by Kawhi.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Going to Lakers/Clips tonight...gotta get in my visit to Staples when both Lebron and AD are healthy. So first game of the season it is. :)
Turns out Lebron wasn't healthy.

Or so he says after a game in which he was outshined by Kawhi.
Date and time stamp.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

RIP David Stern

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Only Rozelle had greater influence and power as a North American sports commissioner in the history of pro sports. RIP, indeed.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Only Rozelle had greater influence and power as a North American sports commissioner in the history of pro sports. RIP, indeed.
Many players still hold a favorable view of him today despite ruling the NBA in an autocratic manner. He propelled the NBA into a global sport and created the WNBA and G-League. The bottom line is, he had a vision of what the league would become. Good comparison with Pete Rozelle, another giant.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So it looks like NO is getting restless and are expecting to start Zion Williamson next week against the Spurs. IMO, they should protect their investment and shut the kid down for the rest of the year and put him on a diet but what do I know.

If he has another injury they might quickly figure out, no matter his potential, he might not be long for the NBA.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Any thoughts on the recent Miami Heat pickup of Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder and Solomon Hill? Are the Heat a MUCH better team that can challenge for the ECF with Iggy in the mix or is he too old?

I hated to see Justise Winslow get traded but he was injured way too much the last couple of seasons. But Pat Riley as he always does comes up with these deals you shake your head.

He traded Winslow and got rid of two bad contracts by sending off James Johnson and Dion Waiters as part of the deal. And even Memphis doesn't want Waiters as the rumor is they are looking to buy him out.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:Any thoughts on the recent Miami Heat pickup of Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder and Solomon Hill? Are the Heat a MUCH better team that can challenge for the ECF with Iggy in the mix or is he too old?

I hated to see Justise Winslow get traded but he was injured way too much the last couple of seasons. But Pat Riley as he always does comes up with these deals you shake your head.

He traded Winslow and got rid of two bad contracts by sending off James Johnson and Dion Waiters as part of the deal. And even Memphis doesn't want Waiters as the rumor is they are looking to buy him out.

Some podcasters were saying Heat missed a chance by not getting Gallinari. If they got him, they thought the Heat could win the East.

I haven't seen Gallo this year so surprised to hear he'd make that much difference.

But Riley wanted to keep a lot of cap space for two years from now to go after Giannis.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Some podcasters were saying Heat missed a chance by not getting Gallinari. If they got him, they thought the Heat could win the East.

I haven't seen Gallo this year so surprised to hear he'd make that much difference.

But Riley wanted to keep a lot of cap space for two years from now to go after Giannis.
Agree with all of this. Gallo would have made Miami contenders in the East. Right now, I don't think anyone is touching Milwaukee unless there's a major slump or an injury to one of its top players. The Bucks are scary good. The MVP race is over -- Giannis is that much better than everyone else.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I like how you guys (and media pundits) claim Gallo would have been the answer to putting a team over the top or in contention. Has he ever been an integral part to a contender? Has he ever stayed healthy? Come on. Gallo is a mirage.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I take it, this is the same player the Knicks drafted and had high hopes for. What's the biggest knock on Gallinari? Personally, I'm glad the Heat did not cave because next year they have enough cap space to resign Dragic, Derrick Jones Jr and another Heat FA or possibly go after a mid level veteran.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I like how you guys (and media pundits) claim Gallo would have been the answer to putting a team over the top or in contention. Has he ever been an integral part to a contender? Has he ever stayed healthy? Come on. Gallo is a mirage.
Gallo's not an all-star. But he would have given Miami enough depth and skill to possibly move up in the East. You make a guy who is averaging 19 points, nearly six boards and two assists per game sound like he's a bench player. Oh, and the dude is 6-10 and shoots 40 percent from three-point range.

Problem is, the East is much better this year than in recent years. Yeah, there's a significant drop in quality after No. 6, but I'll stack the top six in the East with the top six in the West almost any night. But the West still is deeper.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I take it, this is the same player the Knicks drafted and had high hopes for. What's the biggest knock on Gallinari?
He's very injury-prone. He's played 70 games in a season only twice in his career and zero times since 2012-13.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I like how you guys (and media pundits) claim Gallo would have been the answer to putting a team over the top or in contention. Has he ever been an integral part to a contender? Has he ever stayed healthy? Come on. Gallo is a mirage.
Gallo's not an all-star. But he would have given Miami enough depth and skill to possibly move up in the East. You make a guy who is averaging 19 points, nearly six boards and two assists per game sound like he's a bench player. Oh, and the dude is 6-10 and shoots 40 percent from three-point range.

Problem is, the East is much better this year than in recent years. Yeah, there's a significant drop in quality after No. 6, but I'll stack the top six in the East with the top six in the West almost any night. But the West still is deeper.
He’s making 22 million a year! He SHOULD be an All-Star, top 2-3 guy on a contender for that kind of scratch. He’s not. Never has been, never will be. I didn’t say he was a bum, I just said he’s not worth what everyone thinks he is...even if he does stay on the court “healthy”.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Can any of you NBA aficionado's explain in layman's terms what a plus/minus player rating means and why it's so important? I tried reading up on it but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. For instance in the last two games Iguodala has played he's scored a few points but supposedly his plus/minus rating on defense is "elite".

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Just means that to have a POSITIVE rating, when player X is on the court, his team outscores the other team...if he's got a NEGATIVE rating, then his team gives up more points than it scores. It's really that simple.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Season suspended until further notice. A Utah player tested positive for covid-19

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rudi Gobert.

His teammates and players who played against him in recent games may be at risk.

Jazz and OKC Thunder players currently quarantined at the arena.

Warriors were going to play in an empty arena against the Nets tomorrow because San Francisco imposed a ban on gatherings of more than 250 people.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

And that f*cking dipshit Gobert touched every reporter's microphone Monday in a parody of the coronavirus when reporters asked him about it when he said he wasn't feeling well.

I went to Marist College in the early to mid-80s with Gobert's dad, who played basketball there and wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. The apple fell from the branch right to the base of the trunk with Rudy Jr.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looks like Thibs will be running the Knicks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:11 pm
Looks like Thibs will be running the Knicks.
Typical hire of a retread by Dolan.

Thibs is one of the bigger myths in the NBA. Everyone talks about the "culture" he brings. You mean the ranting, screaming, balls-out at all times ethos? You mean grinding up young players with 40+ minutes per game? That doesn't work in the NBA -- or at any workplace.

Yeah, people like to say Thibs brought the T'wolves to the playoffs. Jimmy Butler had nothing to do with that? Thibs also retarded the development of young players in Minnesota.

The outcome of this hire is so predictable. The Knicks will improve under Thibs in the first year. Then his ranting will cause him to lose the locker room, and the Knicks will sink in the standings. Idiot Dolan will get impatient and fire Thibs either after the second season or sometime during his third season.

Mark it down.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I heard the other candidates were Kidd and maybe Mark Jackson?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:39 pm
I heard the other candidates were Kidd and maybe Mark Jackson?
Nobody loves a retread more than Dolan.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Unreal numbers by Luca Doncic and he’s only 21 yrs old. A triple double and dropped 43 pts on the Clippers and topped off with a 3 pt buzzer beater. People in the NBA knew he was going to be really good but he has to be in the conversation for best player in the League. And he did it on the day after an ankle sprain which forced him to leave that game early and there were questions if he would even play today.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What a Game 1 between Miami and Boston. Did any of you guys expect Denver to beat LA? What happened to Paul George? He basically disappeared in the playoffs.