Digital Sportspage

Talk about sports gaming
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NBA Season 2019/20
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
Preseason started yesterday and my Heat's preseason starts tonight. Can't believe the NBA has eclipsed my interest more than the NFL. What a mess the Jimmy Butler trade has become. The owner wants it to go away and Thibs wants him to stay because his asking price is unrealistic. The rumor is he told Philly he'd swap Ben Simmons for Butler and it's possible he wanted more in return.

So Philly is going to give up their 20 yr old star player on a cap friendly contract for a 30 yr old star player with a pending max contract? As the saying goes GTFO Thibs. :lol:

Hopefully he lands in Houston so the Heat don't have to give up any of their in house players like J Richardson, Adebayo or Winslow.


Last edited by Rodster on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 32669
Location: Syracuse, N.Y.
The aspect of Butler's game that everyone forgets or doesn't want to discuss: Dude is injury-prone. He has played more than 70 games in a season only twice in his seven-year career.

Not as many teams as Thibs thinks want to give up young assets and pay a max deal to a guy who can't stay on the floor and who is rumored to be a negative presence in the locker room.

Roll on, NBA. Can't wait for the season to start. The NFL is just an appetizer for me until the NBA starts. :)

_________________
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XBL Gamertag: pk4425


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
Yeah, good call PK I forgot that he's been pretty injury prone and the rumor is he and Towns had a falling out when Towns learned JB was allegedly boinking his girlfriend. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8398
Location: Pennsylvania
I saw the Butler for Simmons stuff last week. Comical. Absolutely comical. I hope that was some bullwinkle media talk rather than an actual offer.

As far as the Sixers, Fultz looked solid in the pre season opener the other night. Jumper looked smooth. Hopefully all the negative is behind him. He is barely 20 so we need to show patience with him. He has always been able to get to the rim. If he can add the perimeter game he is going to be a keeper. Ben and Joel looked like they have grown (basketball wise) over the summer. Both need to have jumps in their game for the Sixers to get deep in the playoffs.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 2082
Location: St. Louis
Jalen and Jacoby were doing t here Soft Move/Boss Move segment and showed a fan that saw Jimmy Butler working out on a court somewhere. So he filmed him and yelled out, "Hey, Butler, you just got traded to Sacramento!" just to get a reaction from him. Butler was unfazed, but his buddy looked shocked.

I would assume in Butler's case, he's not getting traded to a team he has not spoken to. But it was kind of funny, even if it was really a soft move.

_________________
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:52 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 9360
Location: San Jose
Well Wolves will have to settle for something, rather than letting him walk after the season for nothing.

Supposedly, the owner wasn't willing to give Butler the max he could have gotten because he doesn't want to pay luxury tax. The owner has a history of some questionable decisions but you can't blame him unless the Wolves outlook was a lot greater.

Butler wants to make sure he gets paid so he's seeking out the teams with cap space.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 2821
Location: : Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Celtics!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
Well it looks like the Wolves want Richardson, Adebayo and Miami’s 2019 1st rd pick. And if Pat Riley gives Thibs that package he needs to be sent into retirement. Butler is a nice player but he’s not LeBron James or Dwayne Wade, good. Next year Butler will be on the wrong side of 30 and how in the hell is Miami going to resign him when they are already over the luxury tax and the two players they need to send are cap friendly.

Thibs is up against a wall and the Heat need to be playing hardball not giving away the farm to a player that is a 50/50 chance of staying in Miami next year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:30 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 9360
Location: San Jose
What about Winslow?

So much hype when drafted.

Do Heat keep him after this year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
wco81 wrote:
What about Winslow?

So much hype when drafted.

Do Heat keep him after this year?

Yes, lot's of hype and promise in his 1st year. He is no question a shutdown defender but the offensive side still needs work and consistency. I was reading today that the Heat might decide sometime next year what to do with his extension. He is after all a restrictive FA after next year so they may let him test the FA market and match any offers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 9360
Location: San Jose
If Riley made that trade for all the picks Boston was offering, the trajectories of the Celtics and the Heat would be vastly different now.

It was only 3-4 years ago?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:54 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
wco81 wrote:
If Riley made that trade for all the picks Boston was offering, the trajectories of the Celtics and the Heat would be vastly different now.

It was only 3-4 years ago?

Yup but Riley is a lot like George Allen of Redskins fame. Both coaches preferred to go with veterans instead of youth and Riley sucks in picking in the Draft. How he managed to guess right and pick Dwayne Wade in 2003 is still a mystery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 20981
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
At least the Suns are on their way back to prominence! Oh wait, they rebuild for 5 years and then fire their GM a week before the season starts because he can't get a starting caliber PG even with all of the assets they have in the stable. Guess I won't re-up my League Pass Subscription after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
dbdynsty25 wrote:
At least the Suns are on their way back to prominence! Oh wait, they rebuild for 5 years and then fire their GM a week before the season starts because he can't get a starting caliber PG even with all of the assets they have in the stable. Guess I won't re-up my League Pass Subscription after all.

Have them call Miami, they would love to unload Dragic contract, as well as Waiters and Whiteside.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 20981
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
At least the Suns are on their way back to prominence! Oh wait, they rebuild for 5 years and then fire their GM a week before the season starts because he can't get a starting caliber PG even with all of the assets they have in the stable. Guess I won't re-up my League Pass Subscription after all.

Have them call Miami, they would love to unload Dragic contract, as well as Waiters and Whiteside.


One thing Phoenix doesn't have is cap space...so would have to be even money along w/ some assets. So probably won't happen. Plus, definitely don't need Waiters or Whiteside...overstocked with wings and bigs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 9360
Location: San Jose
Saw a blurb that the Suns owner has been getting more involved in day to day operations before the GM was fired.

So lets see, last year, the Cavs owner declined to re-sign their long time GM and then did the Kyrie trade.

This year you have the Wolves owner handling the trade proposals for Butler, almost making a deal but then demanding more.

When some teams gave the head coach power over personnel matters, you had guys like Stan Van Gundy who didn't have a lot of success.

Hiring a GM and giving him final say seems to be the best model.

Then again, the Nets owner gave the power to Billy King and he made a horrible trade and Divac gave Cousins away for little and then maybe made a questionable pick of Bagley over Doncic.


Better to be lucky than good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:11 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 20981
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
wco81 wrote:
Saw a blurb that the Suns owner has been getting more involved in day to day operations before the GM was fired.


That's what everyone in Phoenix dreads. Sarver is a banker, not an NBA guy. He's meddled before and that resulted in this current rebuild disaster. He's driven away all of the smart basketball people...most of whom have gone on to have success elsewhere. Steve Kerr and Mike D'Antoni most recently. Ugh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8398
Location: Pennsylvania
dbdynsty25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Saw a blurb that the Suns owner has been getting more involved in day to day operations before the GM was fired.


That's what everyone in Phoenix dreads. Sarver is a banker, not an NBA guy. He's meddled before and that resulted in this current rebuild disaster. He's driven away all of the smart basketball people...most of whom have gone on to have success elsewhere. Steve Kerr and Mike D'Antoni most recently. Ugh.


Sounds like a Jerry Jones type of guy.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
“I believe we can be the No. 1 sport in the world,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said. “When I look at the trajectory of growth, the fact that young people, boys and girls, continue to love this sport, are playing this sport, are engaged in the sport of basketball on social media or with online games, I don’t know what the limit is.”

The numbers touted by the NBA are impressive: 300 million people playing the game for fun in China alone, rapid growth in India over the past decade as that country is on pace to become the world’s most populous by 2025, an estimated 1 billion people around the globe – that’s basically 1 out of every 7 people alive – having some access to the NBA Finals."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/13/ou ... ationally/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8398
Location: Pennsylvania
Rodster wrote:
“I believe we can be the No. 1 sport in the world,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said. “When I look at the trajectory of growth, the fact that young people, boys and girls, continue to love this sport, are playing this sport, are engaged in the sport of basketball on social media or with online games, I don’t know what the limit is.”

The numbers touted by the NBA are impressive: 300 million people playing the game for fun in China alone, rapid growth in India over the past decade as that country is on pace to become the world’s most populous by 2025, an estimated 1 billion people around the globe – that’s basically 1 out of every 7 people alive – having some access to the NBA Finals."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/13/ou ... ationally/


All sounds great. I enjoy the NBA a lot. My beef with the game is the officiating. I f***in hate the blatant favoring of stars, etc. It needs to change. James Harden fouls and walks just like TJ McConnell.

Rant over.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
Diablo25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
“I believe we can be the No. 1 sport in the world,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said. “When I look at the trajectory of growth, the fact that young people, boys and girls, continue to love this sport, are playing this sport, are engaged in the sport of basketball on social media or with online games, I don’t know what the limit is.”

The numbers touted by the NBA are impressive: 300 million people playing the game for fun in China alone, rapid growth in India over the past decade as that country is on pace to become the world’s most populous by 2025, an estimated 1 billion people around the globe – that’s basically 1 out of every 7 people alive – having some access to the NBA Finals."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/13/ou ... ationally/


All sounds great. I enjoy the NBA a lot. My beef with the game is the officiating. I f***in hate the blatant favoring of stars, etc. It needs to change. James Harden fouls and walks just like TJ McConnell.

Rant over.

Agreed but what sport isn't like that? Look at the sh*t Neymar tries and does get away with. The NFL has made rule changes to keep guys like Rodgers playing the entire season. Pretty much every star in any sport will get their share of favorable calls because of who they are in the sport.

Most recently was the Canelo fight where even PK thought he marginally lost to Triple G but was given the fight because of his status and where he was fighting. So the NBA really is no exception but yeah i'm with you on the favored calls, they do suck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 8398
Location: Pennsylvania
Rodster wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
“I believe we can be the No. 1 sport in the world,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said. “When I look at the trajectory of growth, the fact that young people, boys and girls, continue to love this sport, are playing this sport, are engaged in the sport of basketball on social media or with online games, I don’t know what the limit is.”

The numbers touted by the NBA are impressive: 300 million people playing the game for fun in China alone, rapid growth in India over the past decade as that country is on pace to become the world’s most populous by 2025, an estimated 1 billion people around the globe – that’s basically 1 out of every 7 people alive – having some access to the NBA Finals."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/13/ou ... ationally/


All sounds great. I enjoy the NBA a lot. My beef with the game is the officiating. I f***in hate the blatant favoring of stars, etc. It needs to change. James Harden fouls and walks just like TJ McConnell.

Rant over.

Agreed but what sport isn't like that? Look at the sh*t Neymar tries and does get away with. The NFL has made rule changes to keep guys like Rodgers playing the entire season. Pretty much every star in any sport will get their share of favorable calls because of who they are in the sport.

Most recently was the Canelo fight where even PK thought he marginally lost to Triple G but was given the fight because of his status and where he was fighting. So the NBA really is no exception but yeah i'm with you on the favored calls, they do suck.


The NFL and the NBA are exponentially worse. Well, the NFL doesn’t necessarily favor stars...they are just stupid.

_________________
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 9360
Location: San Jose
There are complaints in every sport. Red Sox manager got thrown out for arguing a called third strike yesterday in the playoffs.

Soccer also has all kinds of complaints about the refereeing.

That isn't to excuse the inconsistent or suspicious refereeing. Lebron gets to bowl over defenders often but then he complains that the offici8ating is biased towards perimeter players -- chicks dig the long ball.

I don't think officiating is going to be an obstacle to the growing popularity of the NBA. The favoring of superstars began in the '80s with Bird and Magic. Today, a lot of NBA fans complain about what the Warriors supposedly get away with but you can find videos of Curry being run through on shot attempts with nothing called.

NBA will never be as popular as futbol in Europe and Asia but it could become more popular in those continents than soccer is in US and Canada. However, it doesn't seem to be popular at all in Latin America so that may limit its revenues.

The teams which gross the most revenues in the world are soccer clubs -- Man United, Real, Barcelona, Bayern, etc. NBA has a long way to go before approaching anything like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12823
wco81 wrote:
There are complaints in every sport. Red Sox manager got thrown out for arguing a called third strike yesterday in the playoffs.

Soccer also has all kinds of complaints about the refereeing.

That isn't to excuse the inconsistent or suspicious refereeing. Lebron gets to bowl over defenders often but then he complains that the offici8ating is biased towards perimeter players -- chicks dig the long ball.

I don't think officiating is going to be an obstacle to the growing popularity of the NBA. The favoring of superstars began in the '80s with Bird and Magic. Today, a lot of NBA fans complain about what the Warriors supposedly get away with but you can find videos of Curry being run through on shot attempts with nothing called.

NBA will never be as popular as futbol in Europe and Asia but it could become more popular in those continents than soccer is in US and Canada. However, it doesn't seem to be popular at all in Latin America so that may limit its revenues.

The teams which gross the most revenues in the world are soccer clubs -- Man United, Real, Barcelona, Bayern, etc. NBA has a long way to go before approaching anything like that.

For me the BIG takeaway is that the NFL is once again being challenged for sports supremacy in the US. Nascar tried and failed due to a bunch of missteps and now NBA is feeling confident enough to make some noise. Their numbers and data must look good enough to make that claim. I know they've converted me away from interest in the NFL. Now the only reason I look forward to the start of the NFL season is that it means it's 6 weeks to the start of the NBA season.

Where the NBA has played it smart is that they're actively recruiting and drafting players from around the world, so it's no longer based on US Colleges. What the NBA may need to consider is creating another League or leagues say the NBA of Europe or even NBA of Asia to grow the sport internationally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NBA Season 2018/19
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 2082
Location: St. Louis
I love the idea that, somehow, the rest of the world is unaware of the concept of refs blowing calls, like it is an American thing. I can hear futbol fans around the world dying from laughter, you monster.

_________________
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group