Dirt Rally 2.0 coming 26 February 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Dirt Rally 2.0 coming 26 February 2019

Post by DChaps »

Ran the first two Daily's and got through my first Rally in Career. The visuals on the One are spectacular. Dusk in Spain was beautiful and immersive. Dead last in my first Rally. Seems just as hard as the original if not harder. I do need to find some good settings for the Thrustmaster TX wheel as the default did not feel all that great, but not enough to kill my overall excitement. Can't figure out yet if there is a way to have a championship league like we did in the original or not. There is a custom setup, but I cannot figure out if it is just setting up a championship for me or what. It's definitely not intuitive from that standpoint. However, the overall UI is actually much improved. Can't wait to see what this will look like in VR.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I ran the first couple rallies in New Zealand late last night. The rallies themselves looked beautiful, the road feels just right in the cockpit mode. Not claustrophobic like the tracks in Dirt 4, but certainly not wide enough to feel like you can drive full bore. The sounds of the car are spot on. Like DChaps stated, this game is hard! I was dead last in both rallies, and that was turning the difficulty down to 60 and 50 respectively. But I'll chalk that up to being past midnight after 3 hours of competitive tennis I played too.

Having a couple drinks after work today, so not sure if I will sink any time into this today, but definitely will get some hours into it over the weekend. So far, so good!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

AcemanPR wrote:Having a couple drinks after work today, so not sure if I will sink any time into this today, but definitely will get some hours into it over the weekend. So far, so good!
Alcohol deters speed? Since when? I only sim race while f*cked up! :) :) :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Played for a couple hours this morning and I am more than happy w/ the tweaks to the handling model. The difference between the cars is way more noticeable and you really have to cater your driving to the specific car. The cars feel a lot more planted and a bit less floaty...which was already one of the Dirt Rally staples. I have been playing a lot of WRC7 lately and it's really been an adjustment to get used to the DR feel again.

And it's absolutely gorgeous on the XB1X - but that said I've noticed a couple of annoying lighting effects that are really distracting. If the sun is low and behind you, you get a lot of pixelated shadows in your cockpit which is really jarring when backed by the smoothness of the rest of the game. Seemed like a lazy shadow implementation. A few of the stages are REALLY dark too, even when driving during the day time. A way to turn on your lights would have been helpful. That said, those are the only complaints thus far.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This is the first game I literally run the rally, then watch almost the entire replay. If only to take in the beauty of it, but also to learn where I lost time on the track. It’s kind of hard during the stage to pay much attention to lost time due to the butt puckering factor, but it’s cool to be able to go back and see where you scrubbed some time.

Also, the BMW E30 M3 Evo Rally is by far my favorite car to run so far. So easy to control and really predictablle for a RWD.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Force Feedback, or lack thereof and inconsistency is definitely a global issue at the moment for those with steering wheels. I made the mistake of going back and running the original DiRT with my wheel for comparison and currently there is a huge gap between 1 and 2.0 , and not in a good way. See posts and quotes below. However, Codemasters has already tweeted about that they are looking into it and reports from beta testers were that FFB with wheels was even better than the original DiRT Rally, so hopefully this will be resolved soon. Have not tried it with a regular controller yet.

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1098952611083010048
Thanks for the feedback - FPS is an issue that has been raised, as is FFB - we're on the case!
DiRT Rally 2.0 - Codemasters Masterpiece
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ ... ce.165214/

FF feels dead in DR2 as compared to DR1
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34 ... ed-to-dr1/

DIRT RALLY 2.0--- post your wheel and ffb setting!
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34 ... b-setting/

DiRT Rally 2.0 Wheel Settings
https://www.codecmoments.com/dirt-rally ... -settings/

FFB Issue - Lack of texture/road feel - FFB FORCE & FFB FRICTION to low
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comme ... force_ffb/
Many have been complaining the FFB has felt very bland or vague when it comes to road feel and texture. Someone has found that the FFB_Force file was set to .9 which is way to low. The default setting is 10. Many have said they fixed this problem with changing the FFB_Force file to anywhere from 5-8 and changing FFB_Friction to 1.5. This must have been a mistake by CM that should be patched asap hopefully. Go into the config files on your drive, the change (depending on device) should look like this:

Original value: <device id="{B677044F-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="tm\_t150" priority="100" type="wheel" />

Updated value: <device id="{B677044F-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="tm_t150" priority="100" type="wheel" ffb_force="5.0" ffb_friction="1.5" />

You can find out more on this steam forum or search on the web: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1663123655
Moving on to the driving experience itself, I need to talk about wheel support for a little while – boring I know, but worth a few moments of your time.
I am using the SimCube OSW Direct Drive wheel for this test, and it needs to be noted that this isn’t a supported device out of the box, so some fun and games need to be had in order to get it working and producing force feedback within the sim. Plenty of google searching and overwriting of internal game files later, the wheel is now a functioning device within DiRT Rally! However, although “working” and producing force feedback, at least at this early stage I’ve been left very underwhelmed by the level of detail the force feedback is producing through my wheel. Ok, I’m getting some weight in the wheel, and the absolutely major hits and jolts are registering, but the very fine detail and the small things that communicate from the road surface to the car just aren’t present at the moment, which has frankly left me feeling a little bit disappointed.

The surface detail just doesn't feel present in the game, leaving me the impression of driving over smooth surfaces no matter what car I choose. I suspect this is specific to my own wheel, however increasingly I'm hearing of others with similar experiences, using different wheels, so that could be something to keep an eye out for as more and more people gain access to the title. What I will say however, is that the physics do feel more convincing than DR1, with more of a weight transfer feel than the previous release, and generally just stepping up the feeling over and above the original release.
We, buyers of the "Deluxe Version", advise you that the FFB is absolutely inconsistant ! (Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer 488 wheel and T3PA-Pro pedals set here). We passed hours (Logitech, Fanatec and Thrustmaster owners) to get some consistant things, no way.
It's a very disappointing and annoying thing, It's a body without a heart !
I found this article and was hoping it would help me since I am using the same wheel as the author. I set everything to just how he has it, but I almost can't feel anything at all. It makes me wonder if my wheel is broken, but it works fine with other games, including DR1. Maybe there is something different between the beta and the full release. Maybe it is a bug. I have done so much tinkering and I can't figure it out. At any rate, it is incredible disappointing.
Hello, it's the same for me : Xbox One X, Trustmaster TS-XW racer.
I can't feel the ground , only the dampers's forces are returned, not the Tyres's Force and vibrations, so driving on tarmac, small gravel or big gravel it's the same, I don't feel the drift either. What I find strange is that it lacks the adjustment options for the felt of the ground, as there was in Dirt Rally 1
It work fine with the same controller on Dirt Rally 1.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Haven't plugged my wheel in yet...just the elite controller. Will have to do some testing later today.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

From Codemasters:
UPDATE:

DiRT Rally 2.0 Deluxe Edition players: we're sorry - we know this weekend didn't go to plan, and we're working flat out to fix it. Positive changes to our servers have already been made... (1/2)

... As a thank you for your patience this weekend, we've given you all 1,000,000 CR in-game. Please rest assured that we're doing all we can to ensure the road ahead is a lot less bumpy. (2/2)

------>Thanks Codies! When is there a patch available for the FFB?

We're looking into it now - once we have more info, our community will be first to know.
Not a good start but hopefully these issues are addressed soon. The steering controls and FFB is a really surprising omission.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

After reading the info about FFB, I'm happy the only thing I tried was the Elite Controller! Worked surprisingly well out of the box with that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:After reading the info about FFB, I'm happy the only thing I tried was the Elite Controller! Worked surprisingly well out of the box with that.
Yup, still haven't pulled out the wheels. It's great w/ the Elite.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I've been down hard with the flu and finally got to run a couple of stages. I don't know if it's my setup (LG OLED55B6) or what, but lighting effects are very distracting and it also appears to be a terrible implementation of HDR. Everything is really bright or extremely dark, to the point I can't even see the road. Transition from bright to dark is distracting and doesn't look realistic at all.

I've got to think I've got something going on with my setup because I haven't seen anything about it. Frustrating for sure and enough of a distraction that if I don't figure it out I won't play the game much on this set. It's terrible (the lighting effects)
GT = Wilk5280

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:After reading the info about FFB, I'm happy the only thing I tried was the Elite Controller! Worked surprisingly well out of the box with that.
Damn, I was hoping to see a post from Terry that would have magic wheel/FFB settings that would save the day! I am still enjoying the game, but there is no point in dynamic course degradation if you feel none of it. :)

I have been trying to run all the Daily/Weekly Racenet challenges and it is hard to believe how bad I am. I mean, I know I am not fast, but I am basically now celebrating 30 years of sim racing that started with Papyrus Indianapolis 500 The Simulation in 1989. When I game these days, it is just racing. Why do I suck so bad? No lie, I think I have been in the bottom 10 or 20 (out of thousands) on each Daily so far. Frustrating.....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:I've been down hard with the flu and finally got to run a couple of stages. I don't know if it's my setup (LG OLED55B6) or what, but lighting effects are very distracting and it also appears to be a terrible implementation of HDR. Everything is really bright or extremely dark, to the point I can't even see the road. Transition from bright to dark is distracting and doesn't look realistic at all.

I've got to think I've got something going on with my setup because I haven't seen anything about it. Frustrating for sure and enough of a distraction that if I don't figure it out I won't play the game much on this set. It's terrible (the lighting effects)
Guess you didn't read my post above...complained about the lighting effects as well, and I'm just on a standard 4K tv w/ the OneX.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Cool tweet from one of my favorite rally drivers:

https://twitter.com/Petter_Solberg/stat ... 9382382596
Great to spend this week up in the mountains with Pernilla & Oliver (and of course Joseph too!), this family time is so special for us tonight we're trying out the new @dirtgame that Oliver helped test, who else is playing?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Petter is my all-time fave! 2003 WRC champion in a Subaru WRX. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Got my mitts on DIRT Rally 2.0 for the Xbox One last night, and I'm in rapture.

This is perhaps the best racing sim out of the box that I've ever played, and I don't say that lightly. I made two changes -- switched to manual transmission and adjusted the damage to simulation. Otherwise, everything is stock out of the box -- 70 percent difficulty, cockpit view, etc.

The tactile feel on the road is sublime. Cars are more stable and float less in DIRT Rally 2.0 than the original, which is a good thing. There's more weight to the cars, which also is a good thing. But the cars are NOT easy to drive. You will crash often if you're not completely focused or overdrive.

Graphics are gorgeous. Yes, some of the darker areas are pretty shady, but maybe I'm getting a break here by running DIRT Rally 2.0 on an OG Xbox One with a 720p plasma TV. I can still see without problem, unlike some cats here running this game in 4K on an Xbox One X.

Sounds are spectacular. Unique, angry turbo whine. Normally aspirated grunt. And PHIL MILLS! PHIL MILLS! PHIL MILLS! The longtime WRC co-driver for 2003 WRC World Champion Petter Solberg reads the notes in this game. His notes are spot-on, and it's so nice to hear Phil's familiar dulcet tones again. Mills' notes and cadence rival that of Nicky Grist's in the Colin McRae games.

Richard Burns Rally is the benchmark for all rally sims. I was lucky enough to play it on the PC with a wheel back in the late 2000s, complete with a bunch of superb mods from the community. The feel of dancing with an angry, powerful car over a variety of surfaces was unmatched by any other sim.

Colin McRae 2.0 is the benchmark for console rally games. Excellent physics and realism.

Those were the kings -- until now. DIRT Rally 2.0 is the first game I can mention in the same breath as RBR and not feel slimy or deceitful. And move over CMR 2.0 -- DIRT Rally 2.0 is the new badass among console rally sims.

If you have even the slightest interest in rally, run to buy this game. If you have even the slightest interest in racing sims, run to buy this game. It was a superb experience for two hours last night, and I can't wait to play it again tonight.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Agreed on all fronts PK...this game is damn near perfection.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So we have a WRC7 killer?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:So we have a WRC7 killer?
Depends what you're looking for in a rally game. WRC7 is still awesome, it's more casual and A LOT easier to run clean stages. Obviously has all the real stages and drivers, so if authenticity is important it's still the way to go. WRC8 comes out in the fall too, so an upgrade is coming.

However, if you want the best handling, best visuals, best feel...DR2 is where it's at. I'll play both, but definitely not back to back. Way too different to be able to be consistent going back and forth.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Paul's remarks are spot on. This game feels perfect as far as how the cars and tracks feel. Definitely fair, but punishable if you lose focus. My times are slowly improving now that I am getting that feel down. I'm starting to place in the 3rd tier of the Daily challenges now. As far as a WRC7 killer, like db said, they are two different feeling games. WRC7 is certainly more authentic, but it's also way more forgiving. Both are great rally games, and I am looking forward to seeing how WRC8 fares in September.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So it's still Dark Souls: Rally Edition, just with better controls and feel? :D I'm not sure I'm up for that level of punishment again...lol
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:So we have a WRC7 killer?
I think so, much more so than DIRT Rally. Contrary to many reviews' opinion, I think DIRT Rally 2.0 has a far more predictable driving model with more weight to the physics.

Rally cars have a lot of grip even on loose surfaces, especially modern cars with state-of-the-art tire technology. And I don't think DIRT Rally did the best job simulating the more predictable nature created by that grip.

Codemasters increased difficulty by reducing grip and increasing skittishness, sometimes too much. There were times when I crashed in DIRT Rally and thought: "Why the f*ck did that happen? It makes no sense," much like I still feel at times when crashing in Isle of Man TT.

That sensation is gone with DIRT Rally 2.0. I have an easier time keeping the car on the stage than with DIRT Rally. But that doesn't mean the game is easier. It's just more predictable and understandable. When I sailed off a stage last night, which happened often, I knew exactly why: I missed a note, missed a corner, braked too late, understeered on exit, etc. No shunts surprised me. But if you f*ck up, you will pay, unlike other console rally games not named DIRT Rally or DIRT Rally 2.0.

There's simply no comparison between this game and WRC 7. Sure, WRC 7 has the official license, with real rallies, stages, cars and drivers. I like that as a WRC fan who watches every rally on Red Bull TV.

But DIRT Rally 2.0 is far superior as a driving experience and challenge in EVERY possible way. Only Richard Burns Rally on the PC has transported me into the zone I was in at times last night, where I felt an almost telepathic connection from my thumb on the joystick, index fingers on the triggers and right thumb on the gearshift buttons to what was happening on the screen.

It was remarkable. Can't wait to drive again tonight!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DR2.0 is definitely on my buy list, just waiting for a Steam sale.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

While I'm still just a top-five car in rally stages at difficulty level 70, I slaughtered the field last night in my first event of Rallycross Career at that level. Maybe it will get tougher at 70. If not, I'll take the ego boost for now! :)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph: This game is such a splendid driving experience.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:While I'm still just a top-five car in rally stages at difficulty level 70, I slaughtered the field last night in my first event of Rallycross Career at that level. Maybe it will get tougher at 70. If not, I'll take the ego boost for now! :)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph: This game is such a splendid driving experience.
In one of the dailies last night I ran the cleanest, fastest run I've ever had in a rally game. 8 minutes of pure bliss. Too bad I was still over a minute behind the leader. LOL. No idea how guys run that fast...in fact there were about 1500 guys faster than me. Sad.