Dirt Rally 2.0 coming 26 February 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Dirt Rally 2.0 coming 26 February 2019

Post by DChaps »

DiRT Rally 2.0 Available Now on Xbox Game Pass, PC Version Available Now on Microsoft Store

http://www.codemasters.com/dirt-rally-2 ... oft-store/

Apparently this is old news, but I did not see it posted anywhere else. There is now no excuse to not have this fantastic rally game. Codemasters has improved it greatly over the last few months via patches, the most recent being a patch that makes Dirt Rally 2.0 VR on the PC one of the best VR racing experiences ever. New DLC of Wales and Greece just continues to impress. Yes, these are rallies that were available by default in the original DiRT Rally, but they are really well done and feel very different somehow. I hated Greece in DiRT Rally 1.0 and love it in DiRT Rally 2.0!

DiRT 2.0: Oculus VR Update Arrives at Last

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ ... st.173836/
It's a great VR experience on Oculus VR via Steam now.

A couple of effects that really stand out:

+++ The cars feel like they pivot around the driver's hips, both the front and rear of the car feel agile especially on loose gravel surfaces. There is a great feeling of being in and connected to the car.

+++ The steering feel (I know divisive DR2.0 subject!) on the TX458 wheel for push on understeer on gravel is just superb, turn in too fast and beyond the grip available and the weight in the wheel is progressively lost, the wheel feel becomes rubbery and in the cockpit the nose of the car pushes wide. Feels superbly real to me. It's such a marked difference when I hook up the car correctly through the corner and the weight and balance of the car remain consistent.

++ Slides can be caught and corrected intuitively, there is a real feeling of weight balance and transfer.

Just one warning, I play and can stomach all the current track and rallycross type racing games in VR. Hours in DCS or ACC leave me with no ill effects but Dirt 2.0...

+ Wales Rally GB is what I'd describe as about as intense a VR experience that remains enjoyable.
-- Argentina, especially at night and/or in bad weather, with all that bouncing around and tight corners is the first game that has caused me the feelings of the start of motion sickness for a long time. 2 stages back to back were enough for me!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Got this on game pass. Quite the improvement over the original. Fun game.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Got this on game pass. Quite the improvement over the original. Fun game.
Definitely, especially the driving model. The driving model in DIRT Rally felt like every surface was ice. I know these are tricky beasts to drive, but it was a hair-pulling experience to finish a stage.

The driving model in DIRT Rally 2.0 remains plenty challenging, but there is more grip. You can really focus on changing surface conditions, the co-driver's calls and hitting your marks and shifts instead of worrying if you're going to slide off the road on every corner.

Brilliant game.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I made the mistake of firing this up last night fairly late, as one of those "I want to turn some laps, but don't know in what...oh, DR 2.0 had an update, let me check that out...." scenarios. I never played DR 2.0 much (only a couple of stages or early career rallies), as it didn't have VR support and there was no DSP league like we had in DR 1. For whatever reason, I never really gave it more than a few minutes a couple different times (my Steam profile shows I only have 3.1 hours on record, and 1.5 hours of that was last night alone).

The Oculus support is flawless now, and I really like one thing in particular they do: just show you a "virtual screen" in the menus and UI, while the driving is actual 3D VR. It works brilliantly, allowing you to watch replays and manipulate the UI like a normal screen (hovering in a black void), while it briefly loads and then you're in 3D when driving. Nice touch, wish other games did it.

But the INSTANT I fired up a career stage and it was something like a Mini Cooper on an ice-covered route...I knew it was amazing. I went to pitch the car into the first corner and couldn't tell if the steering was jacked up or not (I had no idea I was on ice). I pitched the car, it rotated, and then just...slid. I realized it was ice on the road, and adjusted my thought process to match. At that point, I had some of the most zen-like driving moments in a game I've had. I'd pitch the car to and fro from corner to corner, watching snowy ridges pass inches from my inside fender, then rotate the car the other direction to cross another crest or hill.

The VR is absolutely NAILED in this update, and it kept me up way past my bed time messing around with it. I'll say the Force Feedback implementation is some of the best I've ever felt, as well. I'm running it on a Fanatec Podium DD2 wheelbase with the XBox Universal Hub, Fanatec V3 pedals with the load cell dampener, SQ shifter and mounted handbrake....and holy F does it completely sell the Rally experience. I used the recommended settings from the Fanatec forums for DR 2.0, and everything from letting the wheel "spin" and catching it coming out of hairpins to subtle weight transfers over ridges are picked up flawlessly.

I think I put the AI initially on something silly like 75, because I wasn't sure how I'd do with no UI (no indicators for upcoming turns or stage scoring). I ended up blowing away 2nd place by almost a minute and a half on the first rally, so I have to go back and look at that. But I haven't really had an experience that pulled me COMPLETELY out of the real world so well. I was sweating from sawing on the wheel and going nuts for 90 minutes, and I had no idea what time it was. When I took my headset off, I couldn't go to sleep for another 45 minutes, waiting for the adrenaline to die down.

Hell of a game.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

DSP Racing Monte Carlo Rally 2020

To celebrate the start of the WRC 2020 Season, I setup a 12 stage rally at Monte Carlo. Dirt Rally 2.0 is available for free on Gamepass and the Monte Carlo DLC is available stand alone for $3.99 and it is well worth it if you don't want to buy the full season 1&2 passes. I have set this up using the R5 cars which are pretty evenly matched depending on the setup, the rally, and your own personal driving style. I have posted some really good setup links below for anyone who wants to participate. If you are not already part of the old DSP Racing League, follow the Codemasters link below. If you have not done it before you will need to setup an account and then link your Xbox, PS4, or Steam login. The custom online leagues are now supposed to be cross platform. This is my fist attempt in setting this up in DR 2.0 so my apologies if there is anything strange.

This ends on Jan 28th at 10:30am EST

DSP Racing League Site:
https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/443

R5 SETUPS | DiRT Rally 2.0
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AKOCuIwhey

MONTE-CARLO / FRANCE | Country & Setup Guide | DiRT Rally 2.0:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuestCK ... x=2&t=148s

PERFORMANCE RANKING | R5 Rally Class | DiRT Rally 2.0:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8YUgM ... ex=27&t=0s

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

There seems to be no way, or at least no intuitive way to add new members to the DSP Racing Club, so I have temporarily opened it to the public. You will still need to have a Codemasters account linked to your appropriate platform, but you should now be able to join by going to the following link:

https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/443

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Thanks for setting this up DChaps, unfortunately I fell off the mountain on stage 2 & had to retire! Lol

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

WPatrick wrote:Thanks for setting this up DChaps, unfortunately I fell off the mountain on stage 2 & had to retire! Lol
I am sorry. I wish there were more options in the rally league setup to allow for resets. I am fairly certain that in the original Dirt Rally league setup you could set the number of retries allowed for a rally and even be as specific as allow resets per stage, or only for the whole rally. The Dirt Rally 1 league setup had a lot of room for improvement, and unfortunately so far in what I am seeing in the Dirt Rally 2.0 league setup is that it regressed as opposed to improved. If no one else has posted any times yet, I may just re-start it and set if for a week so everyone has more time to participate if so inclined.

Links to the Clubs/League Setup Guides for DiRT Rally 2.0:
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/42 ... -to-clubs/
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/38 ... iscussion/
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/0 ... rally-2-0/

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

WPatrick wrote:Thanks for setting this up DChaps, unfortunately I fell off the mountain on stage 2 & had to retire! Lol
My car must have followed yours lol

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

What's funny is I was running in another league, saw the DSP one had activity, so just jumped in. Saw this thread this morning.

I blew a tire in the first stage, and rather than repairing it, just drove 3/4 of it with a flat :?

After that, the next 2 stages I was SURE it was still flat since there was no service in between stages. I'd come to realize...no, it's just slippery AF and icy.

I spent so many corners facing the wrong way, spun around, damaged, or something horrible, but I managed to make it through. That felt like a minor victory, even though the time was crap :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Holy hell that was a rough rally. Was leading after the first three stages thanks to Terry f'ing up, but couldn't hold on. Too many little penalties and it just added up. Plus, I am not as fast anyway, so it was a short lived lead. LOL.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Thanks for putting that together. I was having fun all the way up to about mid-way through the 2nd stage (lol), where I rolled off the side of a cliff and took terminal damage. :(

Let's do another!
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sorry I missed this. Will try to jump in the next. Every train needs a caboose! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Crazy that Scott and Don raced for roughly an hour and 10 minutes, and ended up separated by less than 5 seconds. 8O

I forgot how much fun these things were. I loved it in Dirt Rally, but hadn't run much of Dirt Rally 2.0 at all with no DSP league :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Crazy that Scott and Don raced for roughly an hour and 10 minutes, and ended up separated by less than 5 seconds. 8O

I forgot how much fun these things were. I loved it in Dirt Rally, but hadn't run much of Dirt Rally 2.0 at all with no DSP league :)
Whoa. Guess my false start on a stage almost cost me. LOL. 10 seconds anyway.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

That was the most intense, fun, rewarding and infuriating gaming experience I have had in awhile! I live streamed the whole thing and did it in one sitting (see link below if you are really bored). I was starting to make up ground and having a decent run on Stage 10 when I swung it just a little wide right before the finish and blew my right rear tire and had to ride it home on the rim. I was expecting to either have to retire, take a penalty, or do a on the run tire change at the next stage since I was already passed the service maintenance area. So I don't know if it was a bug or what, but I started stage 11 seemingly with a new rear tire in place. I even stopped briefly to see if it would let me try to change it, but no go. Scott must have had a bad stage 10/11 because by the end of that stage I had about a minute lead on him. However, I failed to realize that during stage 11, I managed to kill my headlights. Therefore, I started the final long night stage completely blind. In the beginning, it was super slow going and I was sure I was just going to fall down the mountain, but as the stage went on I was managing by really paying attention to the pace notes, any flares from the side of the rode, and just going really slow. When I finished and saw that Scott was 5 seconds ahead I couldn't believe it! :) However, it was all probably fair anyway as I should have had some kind of penalty for that blown tire.

It all goes wrong at 1:27:30 and 1:30:30 in the video below. Edit: Just noticed at 1:40:28 I came to a complete stop for at least 5 seconds. I guess I was trying to see the road.

https://mixer.com/DChaps66?vod=dXEHNECYtUCEx6caqu20fA

It goes without saying that DiRT Rally 2.0 was my game of the year. The patches particularly for improved FFB and VR along with the countless DLC updates have just made it even more awesome. I play it both on Xbox One and PC. I played a ton of Monte Carlo in the original DiRT Rally and this version is far more than just a graphical upgrade. The differences in the road with ice, snow, and dry asphalt is way more pronounced in DR 2.0 and requires much more strategy and tactical approach, even picking different patches of road to try and get more grip. With all the rally games I have played over the years, I have never figured out how to use the handbrake properly, especially on hairpins. I lose so much ground it's ridiculous. Terry, do you use one of the handbrake peripherals and does it do more than just add impressiveness?

Thanks again for competing. I will post full stats and results later, although it appears that the results can actually be viewed online after the rally is finished!! (one big flaw of the original DiRT Rally league website was that once a rally was complete, the results just disappeared from the website and only showed the points earned).

https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/443/results

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

By the way, right now it appears you can get the full Steam/PC package that was originally $119.97 for a total of $36.73 by purchasing DiRT Rally 2.0 for $17.99, and then separately purchasing the DiRT Rally 2.0 - Year One Pass (Season1/2/3/4) for $18.74.

Don't get the DiRT Rally 2.0 Super Deluxe Edition which is all this same content for $49.99, or the DiRT Rally 2.0 Deluxe Edition for $23.99 that only includes Season 1/2 DLC and not 3/4.

Don't know why they have it setup that way, and y guess is that this is unintentional and eventually Steam is going to fix this. So get the savings now if you want the full Steam/PC version of DiRT Rally 2.0 for a very cheap price.

And Yes, I paid full price for the whole thing on PC, and the Xbox One version and I still think it was worth it! :)

DiRT Rally 2.0 - $17.99 (70% off)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/6907 ... _Rally_20/

DiRT Rally 2.0 - Year One Pass (Season1/2/3/4) - $18.74 (70% off)
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/388533/
DiRT Rally 2.0 Year Pass and receive all content from Seasons 1-4: 24 cars, 11 tracks & locations, exclusive liveries, credit drops and high reward events. Also includes the latest 2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship season updates.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps wrote:Terry, do you use one of the handbrake peripherals and does it do more than just add impressiveness?
Show and tell time! :lol:

Yeah, my setup is still awfully similar to this, although you can't see the handbrake/shifter side.

And I showed this to a buddy who was trying to understand how I had the actual cockpit set up, but this is how I run most racing sims (I change rims based on the car type being used):

Handbrake is upright-mounted on the right side, so if I come to a hairpin I can just reach over above where the shifter is and grab however much handbrake I think I need. The problem I have with Dirt Rally is that I don't use manual clutch (no way I want to be heel/toeing my way through rally stages), and the car tends to "bog down" quite a bit in those hairpins. Long story short..I lose time, too :D

But the technique I've found is to grab however much handbrake I think I'll need, clutch it, get the revs up, and then drop the clutch so I induce wheelspin. It's not smooth, but it gets the job done. It allows a complete analog axis (and you can set threshold and dead zone independently), so it REALLY helps when I just need a bit more rotation in a corner. I may only grab 15% of it, hold it until the car pitches, and then slowly release/clutch/dump it and go.

It DEFINITELY takes a bunch of practice, because it's so easy to just lose it entirely, or push off track if done incorrectly.

What's cool about my immersion level is that those things above the monitors are the "Power Wind System" from Sim Racing Studio, so those fans kick on based on the speed of the car. So the faster I go, the more "wind in my face" I actually get. That's another thing that helps judge speed, as odd as it sounds. In a game where it's a tin top with windows, it's a bit odd--but things like open wheelers are absolute money with that.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

"If in doubt..." - Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack – Coming to DiRT Rally 2.0 on March 24

This is awesome news!! If I have not convinced you before that this is now the best rally game of all time (sorry RBR), then I don't know what will! :)

http://www.codemasters.com/dr2_mcrae_announce/

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/dr2_mcrae_info/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2koAn-6q8
In 1995 Colin McRae achieved the ultimate honour in rallying and added his name to the history books as a racing legend.

25 years on, re-live his momentous career this Spring with the Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack, coming to DiRT Rally 2.0 on March 24 and FREE to all Season owners.

From humble beginnings to glory on the world stage and epic battles beyond, the stories of Colin McRae are legendary and DiRT Rally 2.0 will celebrate these moments with 40 all-new scenarios.

Relive Colin’s illustrious career from his early experiences in a MINI Cooper S, Peugeot 205 GTI and Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500, all the way up to his championship battles in the blue and gold of SUBARU, and the battles against said SUBARUs later on in his Ford Focus RS Rally 2001.

The scenarios are split across four tiers and take you through the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. Some events see you starting stages with heavy damage, others require you to win, and some of the most difficult challenges in all of DiRT Rally 2.0 dare you to finish a stage above a set average speed. We’ll share more about these scenarios in the future but as a taster, here is an example:

Year: 1995
Car: SUBARU Impreza 1995
Objective: Win by 40 seconds overall.
Excerpt: “Colin won by more than 40 seconds in New Zealand, in 1995. This was an important result in his efforts towards becoming world champion.”

Take a breath, grip the wheel and raise the revs as the DiRT Rally 2.0 – Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack launches on 24th March 2020 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and PC. Players who have purchased either DiRT Rally 2.0 Deluxe Edition or any full Season pack receive the Colin McRae content for free from 24th March as a digital download.

The DiRT Rally 2.0 – Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack features new Scottish location Perth and Kinross with 12 routes, the SUBARU Impreza S4 Rally and SUBARU Legacy RS, and 40 scenarios spanning McRae’s legendary career. Rally fans will test their driving acumen and take Colin’s seat with a range of challenges including time penalties, damaged equipment and mechanical failure. The scenarios take place in nine of the cars made famous throughout Colin’s career, including many iconic vehicles from previous Colin McRae Rally and DiRT games.

New Location: Perth and Kinross, Scotland

Head to Colin McRae’s homeland and tackle the Scottish gravel roads of Perth and Kinross.

This is far more than simply “Wales but further North”, this is the most challenging location in all of DiRT Rally 2.0, a location worthy of Colin’s legend. Narrow roads with deep drains on either side, logs outside of turns and frightening high-speed sections make this the true “final boss” that players must overcome to succeed.

12 Stages in varying conditions will test even the toughest of drivers where simply making it to the end is an achievement in itself.

New Car: SUBARU Impreza S4 Rally

In 1998 DiRT was born, with the release of Colin McRae Rally on PlayStation and Microsoft Windows. 1998 was also the year that one of the most famous rally cars of all time came to life, the SUBARU Impreza S4 Rally.

Colin McRae battled with eternal rivals Tommi Mäkinen and Carlos Sainz throughout the entire 1998 rally season, taking five podiums and three victories in this car. The S4 and its predecessors would also go on to inspire the creation of the iconic SUBARU 22B STi road car, one of the finest cars ever produced by the Japanese manufacture

New Car: SUBARU Legacy RS

Prior to his exploits in the Imprezas, Colin McRae made a mark on the world stage with the SUBARU Legacy RS in the early 1990s.

With strong results in the few rallies he competed in (including victory at New Zealand in 1993), Colin’s drives in the Legacy were a preview of what was to come. Fellow legendary drivers Richard Burns and Ari Vatanen also drove the Legacy during these years, further helping SUBARU to build the foundations of their domination in the Imprezas in the mid 90s.

FLAT OUT and Free to All Season Owners

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

God-dang this game is good! For some reason it didn't floor me when it was released, but after all of the season content and digging into it more I just can't stop gushing over this thing. It's absolutely amazing!
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wilk5280 wrote:God-dang this game is good! For some reason it didn't floor me when it was released, but after all of the season content and digging into it more I just can't stop gushing over this thing. It's absolutely amazing!
The Donald is correct: DIRT Rally 2.0 has finally surpassed Richard Burns Rally as the GOAT of rally games.

I'm in the same camp as you, Wilk. I was cool on this game at launch but now LOVE it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

....why don't we have more Rally Events in the DSP league!? :lol:

I'd be down for some dailies/weeklies/whatever!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I am up for a league if anyone else is. Would you all prefer a rally per week, all 12 stages, with service every 3 three stages? Stick with the same class across the whole season, or mix it up between different classes? Base Car/Rally's only, or mix in full DLC. (DLC is SOOOO worth it!)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm in for whatever you guys decide. I don't have a preference either way.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I haven't done too much, but I'm down for whatever. About the only thing I've driven that I WASN'T a fan of is the R-GTs or whatever insanity that is.

Mixing it up would be fun, though. Unless we're going hyper-competitive and want to get better in a single car class as we go. Then one of those middle-tier 4WD classes might be solid.