The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:The streaked ended for ManU against PSG who were the better club even without drama boy Neymar.
And I'm sure the knee-jerk narrative among the English media will be that OGS isn't up to the ManU job due to this defeat. Maybe PSG is just pretty damn good?
Bingo !

And aren’t the two managers (MC and Spurs) he’s being compared against were former players? In fact the Spurs mgr is the one linked with the job. Also isn’t former player, Zidane a successful mgr as well?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:And aren’t the two managers (MC and Spurs) he’s being compared against were former players? In fact the Spurs mgr is the one linked with the job. Also isn’t former player, Zidane a successful mgr as well?
Pep played for Barcelona and served as captain for four or five years. Pochettino played most of his career in La Liga. He also played for PSG and Bordeaux in Ligue 1 and in Argentina.

Zidane managed Real Madrid to success but isn't coaching any teams now. He remains an attractive managerial free agent.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Anyone see the incident where Kepa refused to come out of the game and his manager went ballistic? I’ve NEVER seen anything like this!!

https://youtu.be/GZ-1G_bfKbs

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:Anyone see the incident where Kepa refused to come out of the game and his manager went ballistic? I’ve NEVER seen anything like this!!

That was beyond bizarre. Proves that Sarri has lost that dressing room.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:Anyone see the incident where Kepa refused to come out of the game and his manager went ballistic? I’ve NEVER seen anything like this!!

That was beyond bizarre. Proves that Sarri has lost that dressing room.
Yes and no. By trusting Caballero back in between the pipes today, he showed the team who’s still in charge. Chelsea played very well today, it was like a rejuvenated team. The veterans showed their leadership, Willy, Pedro.

Whatever was said in that locker room, they had a clear focus vs Spurs who are looking rather indifferent lately even with Kane back. What the hell happened on the second goal?

I thought Azpilicueta being the captain and on the field should have had a stronger say last week when Kepa was having a tantrum, yet he was just a passive passenger. But again, whatever was said in that locker room, it cleared the air and you can just keep warming up that chair from now on Kepa as long as Sarri is still the manager.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What a race this year for the title and the top 4:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/table/_/league/eng.1

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:What a race this year for the title and the top 4:

ManU still undefeated and that was with several first team players out with injuries. If Ole doesn't get the permanent job there will be a mutiny at Old Trafford and Lukaku scored two against Crystal Palace.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:

ManU still undefeated and that was with several first team players out with injuries. If Ole doesn't get the permanent job there will be a mutiny at Old Trafford and Lukaku scored two against Crystal Palace.
There will be some who still question OGS' nous, with his botched substitutions in the first half Sunday against Liverpool as an example. There's no way he should have replaced Mata with a recovering Lingard, expecting he could play 75 minutes, especially with a fit Sanchez on the bench.

I think OGS should get the job. But it's not a slam dunk. That said, Pocchettino's reputation must be tarnished a bit after the two recent losses and his continued lack of silverware during his career.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:

There will be some who still question OGS' nous, with his botched substitutions in the first half Sunday against Liverpool as an example. There's no way he should have replaced Mata with a recovering Lingard, expecting he could play 75 minutes, especially with a fit Sanchez on the bench.

I think OGS should get the job. But it's not a slam dunk. That said, Pocchettino's reputation must be tarnished a bit after the two recent losses and his continued lack of silverware during his career.
And he also recently said it could take the Spurs 10 yrs to win the PL trophy and was recently beat by OGS. Onto OGS subs, I don't disagree with you OTOH his team lost a sh*tload of players and he somehow managed to pull off 11 wins and two draws. So until his substitutions hurt his cause it's tough arguing with his luck/success and you can be sure Alex Ferguson is mentoring him as he wants to see one of his former players succeed as a ManU mgr.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:And he also recently said it could take the Spurs 10 yrs to win the PL trophy and was recently beat by OGS. Onto OGS subs, I don't disagree with you OTOH his team lost a sh*tload of players and he somehow managed to pull off 11 wins and two draws. So until his substitutions hurt his cause it's tough arguing with his luck/success and you can be sure Alex Ferguson is mentoring him as he wants to see one of his former players succeed as a ManU mgr.
His harebrained substitution arguably did cost United last Sunday. Rashford was forced to play hurt for nearly the entire game because OGS subbed with the injured Lingaard, who lasted less than 20 minutes before getting hurt again.

Liverpool was vulnerable Sunday, arguably there for the taking of three points. But the Solskjaer mistake cost United.

OGS has done a fantastic job. He deserves the permanent job. But to infer he got away with a dumb tactical move Sunday because the game ended up 0-0 is a bit simplistic, I think.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

He did admit bringing in Lingaard was a mistake and it's the reason all of his injured players are not back until healthy and it's why he inserted 3 of his teams youthful prospects into the game.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I still cant believe that Liverpool didnt get a lift from the Manu fiasco, if your juices dont get flowing knowing your biggest rival is on the ropes dazed.
I know it was a weird game but they had to win that game after that first half.
The way they played against Watford is how they should have aproached that game and all games. I think Klopp throttles them a bit in the big games, i dont understand it, well i do but i think maybe take this league by the scruff of the neck and play on the front foot.
They need to play balls out against Bayern , they wont know what hit them.

The right side for Liverpool where outstanding against Watford, loved every minute of it.

Gonna be a fun ,nerve wracking run in thats for sure.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Jimmydeicide wrote:I still cant believe that Liverpool didnt get a lift from the Manu fiasco, if your juices dont get flowing knowing your biggest rival is on the ropes dazed.
I know it was a weird game but they had to win that game after that first half.
The way they played against Watford is how they should have aproached that game and all games. I think Klopp throttles them a bit in the big games, i dont understand it, well i do but i think maybe take this league by the scruff of the neck and play on the front foot.
They need to play balls out against Bayern , they wont know what hit them.

The right side for Liverpool where outstanding against Watford, loved every minute of it.

Gonna be a fun ,nerve wracking run in thats for sure.
The difference between those two games was that Watford, even after going down a goal or two, was still trying to play football. Too much so, in that their midfielders were indifferent at best at tracking our FB's runs.

United set up like Jose was still calling the shots. They countered well, but they consistently had all 11 behind the ball which neutralizes our FB's. Klopp compounded it by mistakenly using Milner at RB instead of TAA.

Without Firminho running like mad to open space, we were effectively strangled. We don't have a traditional 10 who can pick apart a packed defense. Our only chance was winning 1 v 1's and for some inexplicable reason Shaw had Salah in his hip pocket all night. Just a bad combination of tactics, team selection and having a bad day. Those missed points are going to gnaw at my gut all season.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Last year they took the Watford attitude into the big games, the united game was flat from the beginning it was the whole pace of play.
If we had 3 different runners as options against Man u and the tempo was up they would have broke thru.

Its frustrating because in the 5 biggest games we've had this season against the big teams the team Starts out flat or cautious whatever it is, Klopps preparation, players not controlling emotions but whatever was said before the Watford game needs to be the way forward or its City again i fear.

Ill be watching closely at the first 10 mins of the Bayern game to see which team has showed up.

Just venting some nervousness :D

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If OGS were a cat he'd have 18 lives.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Real Madrid is a mess, a club in crisis. Not long ago they were the king of Europe, doing very well in the CL. Although they never managed to replace Ronaldo, they still have some quality players that can create damage to any team.

They were embarrassed a week ago vs their eternal rival at the Copa del Rey, played well by couldn’t bury their chances. Lost again a close match over the weekend against Barca at La Liga kissing good bye any chance of catching up to the top.

Now losing 4-1 vs Ajax at home in the latest CL game? Wow, something is wrong.

Game of the day, ManU vs PSG.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, Ajax! I'm pleased any time Real Madrid is eliminated from a tournament.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Real Madrid is a mess, a club in crisis. Not long ago they were the king of Europe, doing very well in the CL. Although they never managed to replace Ronaldo, they still have some quality players that can create damage to any team.

They were embarrassed a week ago vs their eternal rival at the Copa del Rey, played well by couldn’t bury their chances. Lost again a close match over the weekend against Barca at La Liga kissing good bye any chance of catching up to the top.

Now losing 4-1 vs Ajax at home in the latest CL game? Wow, something is wrong.

Game of the day, ManU vs PSG.
Supposedly "The Special One" is on speed dial to coach the team again.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Good call IMO...

Tho still have no idea how ManU advances given how badly they got outplayed today. Took advantage of mistakes obviously. Yikes.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

On the flip side, bad call in Porto/Roma game...by VAR too. Eeesh.

Never would have expected both games to be decided by a computer screen.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Good call IMO...
Disagree. The handball rule in the laws of the game says there must be "intent" to use the hand or arm to block the ball. There is no way in HELL that the ref could have deduced nefarious intent of the PSG defender, who turned his back and clearly made an attempt to avoid the ball. I watched the game last night. I watched the replay at least 10 times.

No. Way. In. Hell.

The answer is simple, and it's a rare moment of agreement I have with Alexi Lalas: Change the laws of the game so that any contact with the ball by the arm or hand by a defensive player results in a handball call, and a penalty if it's inside the 18-yard box. Sure, that would give more of an advantage to the offense, but what's wrong with more offense?

Sure, PSG outplayed United for long stretches. But all of those attacks were blunted by just how careless PSG was on Lukaku's first goal and how badly Buffon botched the rebound on Lukaku's second goal. Those weren't flukes -- they were major errors that were punished fairly, by goals.

Still, as bad as PSG's errors were last night, I also watched the Ajax-Real Madrid game last night. Madrid made U10-level AYSO defensive mistakes during that game. It was pathetic. What's even worse is that Madrid's players seemed so insouciant about it all. They didn't even seem to care.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Change the laws of the game so that any contact with the ball by the arm or hand by a defensive player results in a handball call, and a penalty if it's inside the 18-yard box. Sure, that would give more of an advantage to the offense, but what's wrong with more offense?
I'm with PK on the HB laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47471380

But what are the rules?

As it stands from the International Football Association Board (Ifab) rulebook:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

The movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
The distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
The position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence
However, Head of Uefa referees Robert Rossetti told the Times in January that - when VAR was introduced into this season's Champions League - officials would penalise any unnatural arm movement that makes contact with the ball.

"The big challenge is the position of the arm. When the arm is totally out of the body above the shoulder it should be penalised. If the defender is making the body bigger in order to block the ball it is not fair.

"It is different if the defender is challenging or playing the ball and it rebounds. But if he is looking to block a cross or a shot on goal and the player is trying to spread his body then it is a handball.

At the weekend, Ifab - football's law-makers - said handball will be given against a player if their arms extend "beyond a natural silhouette" - even if it is accidental.

Ifab chief David Elleray explained: "If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

"Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette."

That new interpretation will come in from 1 June - the date of the Champions League final.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

I don't think it was intentional handball either. It would be interesting to hear the ref actually talking us through the decision. PK's also right in that PSG made some terrible blunders to gift United the first two goals but, even so, with the chances they created, they should have been well out of sight long before the penalty was awarded. The gulf in class between the two teams makes the result almost impossible to believe. Such is soccer and all credit to United for sticking to the task and making their own luck...or some of it at least.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What a rally for victory today by Newcastle! Down 2-0 at half, rally to win, 3-2.

Season-changing victory for confidence. Plus just about every other team trying to avoid the last relegation spot in the EPL won today, so this was MASSIVE.

Howay the Lads! :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Don’t know why Watford or any other team that thinks wearing green on the pitch is cool. Horrible for tv watching.

Let’s see if City can maintain their 1 point lead, it’s coming down to the crunch folks.