The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Newcastle 2, Manchester City 1 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I've supported Newcastle United since 2000, and I can't remember a bigger upset. I'm in RAPTURE.

All you Liverpool supporters can send your cards of thanks to St. James' Park, Newcastle, UK. :)
Incredible. Wish we got to see more than the last minute or two of "extra" coverage after the ManU/Burnley snoozer. Midweek Premier League coverage is really lacking on the major cable providers.
I listened to the entire match at my desk live on Talksport for free, via TuneIn. The theater of the mind was almost as compelling as moving pictures. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Newcastle 2, Manchester City 1 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I've supported Newcastle United since 2000, and I can't remember a bigger upset. I'm in RAPTURE.

All you Liverpool supporters can send your cards of thanks to St. James' Park, Newcastle, UK. :)
Incredible. Wish we got to see more than the last minute or two of "extra" coverage after the ManU/Burnley snoozer. Midweek Premier League coverage is really lacking on the major cable providers.
I listened to the entire match at my desk live on Talksport for free, via TuneIn. The theater of the mind was almost as compelling as moving pictures. :)
Well yes, of course there are ways, legal and otherwise, to get all the games. Just saying normal people will never get to really enjoy all that the Premier League has to offer. And I'm still super pissed that DirecTV dropped the BeIN network, which carries La Liga. F*ck them.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There seems to be a bar on any EPL team winning the league more than one year in a row.

Chelsea looked like a juggernaut a couple of years ago and then couldn't repeat.

City looked similarly dominant last year. They're still very good but they weren't pulling away from the pack like last year.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:There seems to be a bar on any EPL team winning the league more than one year in a row.

Chelsea looked like a juggernaut a couple of years ago and then couldn't repeat.

City looked similarly dominant last year. They're still very good but they weren't pulling away from the pack like last year.
Balance is refreshing. It must be pretty damn boring to be a Ligue 1 fan and see PSG win every year or be a La Liga fan and see Real Madrid or Barca win nine titles out of 10. Same with Bayern in the Bundesliga.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well Man U. dominated in the last few years of Ferguson's tenure IIRC.

And that was within 10 years?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Couldn't capitalize on the opportunity in tough conditions.
Leicester where good.
Damn it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Ugh. Hopefully the midseason swoon doesn't continue through the champions league matchup with Bayern. Eesh. Got a couple weeks to figure it out.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I know it’s very rare these days in the EPL but at the beginning of the season I did pick MC to repeat after looking at their rosters. Every team goes thru hiccups during the season. Liverpool has been dropping alarming points for the past month as the so called beatable teams are finding ways to neutralize their speed.

When the opponent parks the bus to defend their point, they just don’t seem to have any answers at the moment. Those 6-7 points cushion at one point seem like a distant memory as City can share the lead this week with a win over Everton or at the very top based on goals differential.

Whichever case, it sets up for a beautiful finish.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Deja vous

Mane early goal and a draw.

Liverpool do better.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:I know it’s very rare these days in the EPL but at the beginning of the season I did pick MC to repeat after looking at their rosters. Every team goes thru hiccups during the season. Liverpool has been dropping alarming points for the past month as the so called beatable teams are finding ways to neutralize their speed.

When the opponent parks the bus to defend their point, they just don’t seem to have any answers at the moment. Those 6-7 points cushion at one point seem like a distant memory as City can share the lead this week with a win over Everton or at the very top based on goals differential.

Whichever case, it sets up for a beautiful finish.
Don't sleep on Spurs. Only five points back and playing without Kane or Alli. Tottenham will be even better when those cats return from injury.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So based on the small sample size, would you give the MUN job to Solskjær? The last two high profile mgrs didn’t do so well.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:So based on the small sample size, would you give the MUN job to Solskjær? The last two high profile mgrs didn’t do so well.
Why not? Players definitely have responded to him better than Jose.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Why not? Players definitely have responded to him better than Jose.
Gary Neville and Paul Ince both have said it's still to soon. Ince still thinks that Pochettino should get the job regardless. Me personally, I think Ole has done enough and looks like he could be a really good mgr for ManU.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I would but its the players not Solkjaer. It will wear off dont worry.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Does not get any better than that goal.

Beautiful!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Doesn’t appear Chelsea is in the same league as City. Whoa.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MC need to quit sand bagging.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Doesn’t appear Chelsea is in the same league as City. Whoa.
Thought City would win. But 6-0? No effing way.

Just play the theme from "Jaws" outside Anfield and Liverpool's training ground for the rest of the season. City is circling in the water, waiting for the slightest bit of bleeding from Liverpool before devouring it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Doesn’t appear Chelsea is in the same league as City. Whoa.
Thought City would win. But 6-0? No effing way.

Just play the theme from "Jaws" outside Anfield and Liverpool's training ground for the rest of the season. City is circling in the water, waiting for the slightest bit of bleeding from Liverpool before devouring it.
Getting KDB back and fully fit makes them so ridiculously deep. I mean Mahrez, Jesus and David Silva coming off the bench today? Holy hell.

Their defense still worries me tho...really thin and injury prone.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I still think Spurs could be a sleeper. Only five points back despite missing their two best players. If Pocch can hold it together until Kane and Alli return, Spurs could be a dark horse.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:I still think Spurs could be a sleeper. Only five points back despite missing their two best players. If Pocch can hold it together until Kane and Alli return, Spurs could be a dark horse.
Spurs have been playing better in the last two weeks as they have adjusted to those guys being out. Weirdly.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If City wins the league again and possibly wins CL, would Guardiola be the greatest club manager in history?

He’d have won multiple league titles in La Liga, Bundesliga and EPL.

Though he’s only won the CL at Barca.

Have there been any other manager who’s won multiple titles in three of the biggest leagues in the world?

OTOH, he’s kind of like Phil Jackson, always landing on loaded teams and teams with a lot of money to spend.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:If City wins the league again and possibly wins CL, would Guardiola be the greatest club manager in history?

He’d have won multiple league titles in La Liga, Bundesliga and EPL.

Though he’s only won the CL at Barca.

Have there been any other manager who’s won multiple titles in three of the biggest leagues in the world?

OTOH, he’s kind of like Phil Jackson, always landing on loaded teams and teams with a lot of money to spend.
That depends if you consider the German league better than the Serie A. It’s tight but I much prefer the Italian league.

Landing on a loaded team is a luxury always but dealing with those egos are not an easy task. In fact, more difficult. So yeah he’s gotta be up there with the likes of the ‘Special One’, C. Ancelotti and even Rafa Benitez.

You mention he only won the CL when he was in Spain. Those years he was blessed with the best Messi at his disposal repeating many titles in the Spaniard league.

Last season it was a walk in the park, this year he had to deal with a key injury very early in the season in KDB, their motor, a guy that controls their midfield, the tempo of a match.

I don’t think they would be fighting for the top as tightly contested as it is now if DeBryne was healthy.

Some managers win the PL only to fail qualifying in the CL, but Pepe is very well prepared. He’s top two material for sure but too early to ask that question when I have him winning many more titles yet.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The streaked ended for ManU against PSG who were the better club even without drama boy Neymar.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:The streaked ended for ManU against PSG who were the better club even without drama boy Neymar.
And I'm sure the knee-jerk narrative among the English media will be that OGS isn't up to the ManU job due to this defeat. Maybe PSG is just pretty damn good?