The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Not much happening really when you have a game calling for this much attention. What has Mahrez done so far for City? You want to talk about an overrated player? Give both teams credit for trying to get the 3 points, the intensity was there but not many chances really.
I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is only one of the few games he’s actually started. Sure he’s play a bit, but not consistently. He was the only guy creating chances for Man City at least...he had a couple shots just go wide...no one else did a damn thing, so overrating him in his short stint with the team is a little much. At Leicester he was spectacular. He’s still trying to fit in at this point. Like Keita and Fabino at Liverpool. Hard to just work yourself into a stacked team when you’re used to being a stud. Even CR7 has had his share of issues @ Juve.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Not much happening really when you have a game calling for this much attention. What has Mahrez done so far for City? You want to talk about an overrated player? Give both teams credit for trying to get the 3 points, the intensity was there but not many chances really.
I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is only one of the few games he’s actually started. Sure he’s play a bit, but not consistently. He was the only guy creating chances for Man City at least...he had a couple shots just go wide...no one else did a damn thing, so overrating him in his short stint with the team is a little much. At Leicester he was spectacular. He’s still trying to fit in at this point. Like Keita and Fabino at Liverpool. Hard to just work yourself into a stacked team when you’re used to being a stud. Even CR7 has had his share of issues @ Juve.
The past is past. Whatever he goes on to win at City won’t remotely compare to the scale and the satisfaction of what he achieved at Leicester, where he was a major part of the most unlikely title winning campaign in the history of PL.

City didn’t need Mahrez, to me he’s another piece in a rather crowded yet star studded front. And no he’s hasn’t done much since his arrival there. Not sure who the designated second PK is for City but Jesus did look pissy while his mates tried to talk Mahrez out of it. For what was at stake, you take your best kicker there.

I don’t have a specific affiliation to any PL team but to my recollection Mahrez missed 3 of his last 5 kicks there. With Aguero gone, if I was the captain I would have let Jesus do his thing. Different team, different players, you got to respect the players that won the title last season.

He’s got talent, but he’s not as good as he thinks he is.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

This thread really is keeping from breaking my TV watching the Rams today.

Thank you all for the comedy.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Insanity!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:Insanity!
You think?

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That was incredible.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
You think?
Was pretty bad ass. Never saw anything like that.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

RobVarak wrote:
You think?

Divoc Origi, clap clap clapclapclap.

Englands Englands Number one, Englands Number one.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Disgusting...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

That goal was perfection after the Everton fans threw a flare into the handicap section of Liverpool supporters thinking they'd earned a draw moments before conceding, and immediately after their ridiculous "murderers" chant. "Friendly derby" my a$$ :evil:

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Lol. Yeh the Murderers is their go to when they dont have nothing.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So the longest Copa Libertadores evah will take place finally this coming Sunday in Madrid between the eternal rivalry between Boca-River/River Boca. The first ever finals in this prestigious tournament in SA, the Euro Cup version of Latin America.

Forget the recent boring Merseyside encounter, forget the Manchester derby, gee wiz the best rivalry these days in the PL is probably in North London between the Spurs and Arsenal. Inter-Milan, Barcelona-Real just pales when it comes to true hatred and bad blood between Boca and River.

See, the first leg took place in La Bombonera a month ago with a thrilling 2-2 tie. The last game was supposed to be played two weeks ago in River only to be suspended hours before the encounter due to the violence by River fans attacking Boca’ bus arrival at the Monumental.

Hooligans and Barbarism in full display putting Argentina to shame and uncapable of hosting a huge finals like this one.

Marcelo Gallardo is banned from coaching in the sidelines, Boca wanted the easy win by default complaining to Conmebol that River should be punished for its actions.

Which takes us to Madrid. A neutral country to host the Classico of all Clasicos and define the Champion of LatinAmerica. I’ve been waiting forever and the true moment will take place in the next 48 hours.

Or will it? Vamos Boca...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RIVER, you f*ck, James! :)

I agree with James. Every other derby on Earth pales compared to Boca-River for the stakes, the passion, the ferocity. Shame the final must be played in Spain, but that's another indication of the lunacy of this rivalry.

Vamos, vamos, vamos River Plate!

P.S.: I miss the days, 15 years ago, when Max Bretos (now with ESPN) called Argentine League games every Sunday night on Fox Sports World. I watched every damn weekend. LOVE that league.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Boca! Boca!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:RIVER, you f*ck, James! :)

I agree with James. Every other derby on Earth pales compared to Boca-River for the stakes, the passion, the ferocity. Shame the final must be played in Spain, but that's another indication of the lunacy of this rivalry.

Vamos, vamos, vamos River Plate!

P.S.: I miss the days, 15 years ago, when Max Bretos (now with ESPN) called Argentine League games every Sunday night on Fox Sports World. I watched every damn weekend. LOVE that league.
Agreed Paul, he was the man. And screw the Gallinas... :twisted:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

10spro wrote:So the longest Copa Libertadores evah will take place finally this coming Sunday in Madrid between the eternal rivalry between Boca-River/River Boca. The first ever finals in this prestigious tournament in SA, the Euro Cup version of Latin America.

Forget the recent boring Merseyside encounter, forget the Manchester derby, gee wiz the best rivalry these days in the PL is probably in North London between the Spurs and Arsenal. Inter-Milan, Barcelona-Real just pales when it comes to true hatred and bad blood between Boca and River.
Is this really a good thing to say about the state of the rivalry and the culture at large?

Maybe Argentina would be better off if it didn't have such old tribal feuds still going after all this time.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:
10spro wrote:So the longest Copa Libertadores evah will take place finally this coming Sunday in Madrid between the eternal rivalry between Boca-River/River Boca. The first ever finals in this prestigious tournament in SA, the Euro Cup version of Latin America.

Is this really a good thing to say about the state of the rivalry and the culture at large?

Maybe Argentina would be better off if it didn't have such old tribal feuds still going after all this time.
Define rivalry. What’s wrong with bad blood, pure hatred against each other in the oldest bitter feud? We are talking about almost a century. Is this good? You bet, rivalry at its best.

I tell you what’s embarrassing though. That the hooligans take it literally at heart and want to harm the parties involved. That a passionate country like Argentina can’t host a finals of this dimension because of security ignorance. Why? To my knowledge the recent G20 meeting went without any incidents.

But if the clubs can’t control both Barra Bravas then yes, I have a problem with that. Would I be surprised if in Real some kind of violence develops? Not really but those fans are not footie fans. Part of the corruption.

But the dislike among both teams is real, pure and in your face. Since forever and I have no problems with that.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Look there are ultras on several European clubs who openly espouse fascist or racist stances.

Then there are soccer hooligans.

Just because it's part of some long tradition or the fact that some of these extremists are the most rabid fans isn't what makes the sport great.

Using history, tradition to excuse things like the Confederate flag is weak.

You have to ask whether the factions represented by those clubs divide more than just the fan bases of those clubs. I don't know a lot about Argentine history but during this 100 years old rivalry, Argentines committed horrible crimes against each other.

If you want to keep some parts of the country's history alive, support things like Asociación Madres de Plaza de Mayo rather than blood rivalry.

Maybe because widespread violence between sports fans is unknown in this country -- though if you're wearing the wrong jersey in the wrong part of some stadiums, you may be risking your well being -- but continuing to cultivate hate for any reason, least of all over sports, seem to be the wrong way to go.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

It's great, probably the craziest, but there are plenty of insanely tribal rivalries: Palmeiras-Corinthians, Flu-Fla, Rangers-Celtic, the Istanbul derby... But I'd rather watch one of the "boring" EPL derbys featuring the most elite players than two fired-up fanbases cheering on teams comprised of has-beens and not-yet-beens like you get in the Argentine league.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Liverpool's finishing today has been atrocious thus far - with like 5 min. remaining.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And I said that...and Mane has went ahead and missed two POINT BLANK shots. But alas, survive and advance w/ PSG's win.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Story of the whole season. Missed chances, its pathetic the amount they miss. Salah is the worst of the bunch , his goal was a pass to Mane. :oops:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Story of the whole season. Missed chances, its pathetic the amount they miss. Salah is the worst of the bunch , his goal was a pass to Mane. :oops:
All three forwards were terrible today. Firmino couldn’t complete a pass, Salah had a couple errant shots and Mane was just awfully finishing. It’s amazing they advanced really. The midfield was exquisite today at least.

Not sure how they are atop the PL table really.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

You guys are out of you Goddamned minds. :lol:

Everybody misses sitters. Every week in every league there are a TON of missed tap-ins. A few years ago, in an effort to get the dipshit parents of the girls whom I coach to stop giving their kids a hard time, I put together a video of just Messi and Ronaldo missing wide-open shots. (The message being, maybe give your 9 year-old a break when she bashes one off the woodwork of an open goal.) It was nearly 5 minutes long and each clip was like 20 seconds. Everybody misses sitters.

This is the most balanced, fastest, deepest, Liverpool team in the Premier League era. They're top of the Premier table and they're through to the knockout stage of the Champions league and you guys are seriously moaning? How are we top of the table? We're scoring and we're not conceding. Liverpool averaged 2.2 goals/game last season. This season they're at 2.175. They've conceded 6 goals in 16 EPL matches!!

There will be a rough patch or two. A bad injury will crop up or some crazy night in Watford we'll have an off night, but after watching this club for 20 years I do not for the life of me understand how you can find anything to bellyache about. It's still going to take a hell of an effort to fend off City, but we have a damn good shot.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:You guys are out of you Goddamned minds. :lol:

Everybody misses sitters. Every week in every league there are a TON of missed tap-ins. A few years ago, in an effort to get the dipshit parents of the girls whom I coach to stop giving their kids a hard time, I put together a video of just Messi and Ronaldo missing wide-open shots. (The message being, maybe give your 9 year-old a break when she bashes one off the woodwork of an open goal.) It was nearly 5 minutes long and each clip was like 20 seconds. Everybody misses sitters.
You cannot tell me that Mane had a good game today? He made some nice runs to get in perfect position multiple times...so yes, I can b*tch that a professional football player can bang one in from the 8 when it's he and the goalie. LOL. So call me crazy (or out of my goddamned mind). My statement was about today's game, not the season as a whole. It's been rough in the CL, but as far as PL goes, they've been fine.