NFL 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NFL 2018

Post by TCrouch »

I actually like the Jets' QB room, strangely. You have the young rookie who showed promise week 1, then fell back to Earth a bit last night. He doesn't seem to want to let it rip downfield, but he tries to take care of the football (with the one exception being when he should have thrown that ball away on his last throw last night). Those are things rookies learn from, hopefully.

I think Bridgewater was very good in Minnesota, and somebody I pull for. I don't know what that injury looked like, but for pro players (who have everything from dislocated fingers to broken bones consistently) throwing up when they saw it...no thanks. All indications are that his arm is still strong--and has accuracy deep downfield--and he could run around a bit, which is likely good for his confidence.

If either one of them absolutely stinks it up next week, they still have old-reliable Josh McCown in the mix. He'll never set any records or light the world on fire, but he was doing pretty well for them last year before he got hurt.

I'm actually curious to see who's tabbed as the starter in week 1, because from top to bottom, their QB room is pretty serviceable. You have a very highly-regarded developmental prospect who has already flashed some ability, a comeback player of the year potential who's always possessed talent (but it remains to be seen if the knee holds together), and a reliable-yet-unspectacular vet.

That's better than a lot of QB depth charts around the league.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Jets didn't have much luck with its previous USC QB whom they drafted too high.

Turnover prone.

So they draft another one, whose last season at USC was also turnover prone?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Sure, but teams passed on Aaron Rodgers because he was a Cal QB who didn't win enough and "had flaws", just like Kyle Boller, another Cal QB who didn't win enough and "had flaws". Darnold hadn't thrown an NFL pick until that 4th down attempt (which I could forgive a rookie for trying to force a ball on a 4th down try in preseason), and both the rook and Bridgewater had less-than-stellar pass protection all night.

I'm no Jets fan, and I'm not going to defend what they choose to do, but I don't think just predicting Darnold will be Sanchez 2.0 is the connection I'd immediately jump to, personally. It is funny how high or low we can get in the preseason with our OWN teams, even though we know it's pointless (not saying you're a Jets fan, though, I know you're not). They're not doing anything even remotely similar to what they'll do in the regular season, so you just want the effort and decisions to be good. In that light, I suppose you'd like to see Darnold make the "throw it away" decision, even on 4th down, because he had the issue in college, and you'd like to see progress.

I don't know. I think for showing up late, and through his first start and most of that start (8 of 11 with a bunch of dink and dunks without really doing much downfield), he didn't look out of sorts. Time will tell, I guess.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'm not predicting he will be like Sanchez.

Just noting the coincidences.

This was suppose to be one of the best QB classes in several drafts so it'll be interesting to see how these guys pan out.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The whole QB is turn over prone argument is a terrible argument. Unless you look at every INT and determine it was a throw that shouldn't of been made. Half the time the WR is responsible but gets none of the blame.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:The whole QB is turn over prone argument is a terrible argument. Unless you look at every INT and determine it was a throw that shouldn't of been made. Half the time the WR is responsible but gets none of the blame.
B-I-N-G-O. It's far easier to detect the QBs who hold onto the ball too long than the guys who make senseless passes.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: B-I-N-G-O. It's far easier to detect the QBs who hold onto the ball too long than the guys who make senseless passes.
All I've heard for 3 weeks is that Trubisky has thrown a ton of INT's in camp. That's all they are reporting, guys paid to cover camps who you would hope know a little about football. Fans ranting on it too, Nagy comes out and says he wants him to make those throws now in camp since it is a new offense so he gets a feel on what throws he can make, he encourages it. Does that satisfy the mob..Nope!

No idea if he will turn out to be good but the kid works his ass off, has the respect of teammates and coaches at the very least he deserves fans wanting him to succeed rather than fail, not here. Welcome to Chicago.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This might be not PC to say in 2018 but Cleveland's Offensive line coach is one fat dude, seriously that's not healthy at all get that guy some help.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:This might be not PC to say in 2018 but Cleveland's Offensive line coach is one fat dude, seriously that's not healthy at all get that guy some help.
Yeah he is obviously grotesquely obese. And he drives a Maserati...figure that one out.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I am really enjoying this Hard Knocks. The guys they are following on the show are interesting stories. I am officially a Baker Mayfield fan. You can tell his teammates like what they see. Cajuste is also a cool story. His dad seems like a cool dude. Hope he doesn’t get cut. The one guy I just cant seem to figure out or get on board with is Hue Jackson. I dont claim to know s*** about how to run an NFL terms but he just seems off. I am sure Hayley doesn’t like him. When they lost the game to the Bills you could hear Hayley mumble something like, “when you practice the way we practice you get what you deserve.”
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

He seems to be good at befriend8ng the players. He did that when he was RB coach for the Bengals when they were on Hardknocks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:He seems to be good at befriend8ng the players. He did that when he was RB coach for the Bengals when they were on Hardknocks.
Exactly. That's all fine and dandy when you're a position coach, but a head coach must have an air of authority, of gravitas, even if he doesn't need to be a cliche-spewing buffoon like Gregg Williams.

Jackson lacks that weight with his players. Nice guy. I see players liking him. Not so sure if they respect him. They definitely don't fear him.

The Carl Nassib show is getting old, sadly. He knows the cameras are on.

But like Bill, I'm enjoying the Browns' edition of "Hard Knocks." Lots of interesting characters on this team, and the show isn't as dominated by Mayfield as I thought. Compliments to the HBO producers for maintaining some sort of balance.

Man, I want Devon Cajuste to get a roster spot. What a good guy! Also pulling for Nate Orchard.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: Man, I want Devon Cajuste to get a roster spot. What a good guy! Also pulling for Nate Orchard.
They do this every year on Hard Knocks. They find you someone to like and cheer for that likely will be cut.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hard to argue with Richard Sherman on this: "If you don't want the quarterbacks to get hit, put flags on them," Sherman says. "If you put flags on quarterbacks, I guarantee guys will master snatching flags off them. But to handicap a defense this way is just ridiculous. You have running backs putting their heads down, and the defense is penalized for initiating contact at the head."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rich ... rterbacks/

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I love all the signings the Rams have done but my god sign Aaron Donald or I will have you ll put down.

Pay the man his money assholes!

Its disgraceful that you have not !!!!!!!!!

It really makes me angry that I have to be angry you f***in c***!

Pay him! you mother f***in assholes!!!!!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:Hard to argue with Richard Sherman on this: "If you don't want the quarterbacks to get hit, put flags on them," Sherman says. "If you put flags on quarterbacks, I guarantee guys will master snatching flags off them. But to handicap a defense this way is just ridiculous. You have running backs putting their heads down, and the defense is penalized for initiating contact at the head."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rich ... rterbacks/
Right, kind of the stop sign in Juniors on hockey players at the back of the jerseys when they are in a vulnerable position along the boards. Yet, it still happens.

But when one is about to tackle, your body and head is lunging towards an opponent how does a helmet not make contact first?

Stupid rule.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The problem is the offensive player lowering their head and changing the angle is what causes a good number of helmet to helmet hits. So you have to start calling the player with the ball for the penalty as well. I can tell you from experience even if my head is up and I'm going in for a tackle, if the guy coming at me lowers his head, instinctively I'm lowering my head. So you either have to call the offense for the penalty as well or not flag inadvertent contact.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:The problem is the offensive player lowering their head and changing the angle is what causes a good number of helmet to helmet hits. So you have to start calling the player with the ball for the penalty as well. I can tell you from experience even if my head is up and I'm going in for a tackle, if the guy coming at me lowers his head, instinctively I'm lowering my head. So you either have to call the offense for the penalty as well or not flag inadvertent contact.
Right !

I watched a few of the preseason games this past week. I believe it was in the Jets v Giants game where a ball carrier lowered his which caused the defender to lower his head and the defender got his bell rung and got called for helmet to helmet contact. I don't know why it slips the NFL's thinking that the equipment/armor a player wears can become a weapon and could be part of the problem?

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XXXIV wrote:I love all the signings the Rams have done but my god sign Aaron Donald or I will have you ll put down.

Dude, it's just a game played by veterans. This is a perfect opportunity to sit out camp, join during the last week of preseason, and still be ready to go and fresher for not having beat himself up during camp. I think there is zero chance he is not playing week one. I also think he is not worth the extra money the Rams would have to pay for him to show up at camp instead of for the last week.

I think this is a case of both sides knowing what the deal is and just letting it happen.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:Right !

I watched a few of the preseason games this past week. I believe it was in the Jets v Giants game where a ball carrier lowered his which caused the defender to lower his head and the defender got his bell rung and got called for helmet to helmet contact. I don't know why it slips the NFL's thinking that the equipment/armor a player wears can become a weapon and could be part of the problem?
Almost every rule the NFL has made in recent memory favors the offense. They want high scoring, no defense and no injuries that could lead to them getting in legal trouble. Think about the face mask penalty or hands to the face. A ball carrier is the only one who constantly gets away with this rule, how many times have you seen them stiff arm someone and grab the face mask.

However this rule could affect viewership, I'm as avid an NFL fan as there is and I don't think I can watch it this continues like it is. I read this morning that these calls were significantly down in week 3. I did see a lot of guys tackling without leading with their helmet. However my scenario will occur, it is naturally instinct to duck when a 230 lb RB is coming at you full tilt and lowers his head. You will never see that RB get called for the penalty.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Aristo wrote:
XXXIV wrote:I love all the signings the Rams have done but my god sign Aaron Donald or I will have you ll put down.

Dude, it's just a game played by veterans. This is a perfect opportunity to sit out camp, join during the last week of preseason, and still be ready to go and fresher for not having beat himself up during camp. I think there is zero chance he is not playing week one. I also think he is not worth the extra money the Rams would have to pay for him to show up at camp instead of for the last week.

I think this is a case of both sides knowing what the deal is and just letting it happen.
I tend to agree with you.

That was Mr Hyde posting. 8)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2451 ... er-trading

The king of NFL investment advisors, Carl Nassib of the Browns, must be next. Right? :)

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XXXIV wrote:
Aristo wrote:

I tend to agree with you.

That was Mr Hyde posting. 8)
LOL!

Called it!

Rams agree to record deal with Aaron Donald
The Los Angeles Rams and defensive tackle Aaron Donald have agreed to a six-year deal, the team announced.

The deal is worth $135 million, including $87 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

It's the richest defensive deal in NFL history and could keep Donald with the Rams for the next seven years, through the 2024 season.

Donald, who has held out of training camp this season, will be ready for the team's Monday night opener against the Oakland Raiders on Sept. 10, according to Schefter.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Yes you did.

Super Rams Super Bowl.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star