NFL 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Aristo »

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Who thought GB were done after Rogers was out albeit temporarily. What a thriller, Fuller must be feeling terrible. Big game by Mack, as I was saying earlier I am looking forward to this rivalry all over again.

Packers are my favourites to advance to the SB with Rogers healthy.
Last edited by 10spro on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Chiefs’ Andy Reid: Anthony Sherman is a sausage with hands

Sherman capped his rare scoring opportunity with an emphatic spike because, as he summed it up, “I don’t really have any moves. I’ve only got the spike.”

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Look at Nathan Peterman and please tell me how he's a better player than Kaepernick. Yeah, yeah, I know: Nobody has a right to a job, and the PR fallout would be huge. But Peterman is abominable.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Last night was the most excited and dejected as a Bears fan in a long while. Lots of positives and some negatives and questionable decisions. Mack hadn't played football in 9 months, has 1 week of practice and was a force in the first half. The 2nd half the Packers were just getting the ball out quicker, likely got away with blatant holds as they typically do and he was probably gassed. Still that's 1 week of practice.

Secondary looked sketchy, at least the 2 guys who got deals. Fuller catches that ball game over. Jackson doesn't over play a WR no TD. The secondary has worried me all off season so we will see how it goes.

Mitch looked good to me, missed some throws but he is progressing and overall Nagy's offense is way more suitable for him and the modern NFL but I still don't know why the Bears can't get this through their heads. 20 point lead, run the f***in ball with Howard. Guy rushed 15 times for 86 yards and with the exception of one 3rd and 1 were the DT blew up the play was gashing the Packers. So when it goes to 20-3 what do we do, 3 and out with 3 straight passes. When we are eating clock and it's 3rd and 1, what do we do throw it to Simms who isn't smart enough to get across the line to gain. Finally the worst one is another 3rd and 1, a TD salts the victory and Howard is not even on the field and we pass and kick a field goal.

I put this loss more on the coaching staff than the players. You want to stay aggressive but still be smart. You can do both, you've got to do better than that. Packers got a gift last night to a young team still not knowing how to win, they should enjoy it because I don't think their year is going to go like they think.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:Look at Nathan Peterman and please tell me how he's a better player than Kaepernick. Yeah, yeah, I know: Nobody has a right to a job, and the PR fallout would be huge. But Peterman is abominable.
Why did they let Taylor go, didn't want to pay him?

Ot they just want to rebuild so the worse record the better?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Danimal wrote: Mitch looked good to me, missed some throws but he is progressing and overall Nagy's offense is way more suitable for him and the modern NFL but I still don't know why the Bears can't get this through their heads. 20 point lead, run the f***in ball with Howard. Guy rushed 15 times for 86 yards and with the exception of one 3rd and 1 were the DT blew up the play was gashing the Packers. So when it goes to 20-3 what do we do, 3 and out with 3 straight passes. When we are eating clock and it's 3rd and 1, what do we do throw it to Simms who isn't smart enough to get across the line to gain. Finally the worst one is another 3rd and 1, a TD salts the victory and Howard is not even on the field and we pass and kick a field goal.

I saw only the second half but Trubitsky looked frazzled. When he looked good, he used his feet to keep plays alive, either running for yards or waiting until receivers broke wide open. Seems to leave the pocket a lot.

A couple of passes sailed way high.

Now maybe they coached him to protect the ball at all costs, don't take risks. That was working for awhile with the defense playing well. But maybe the defense was out there too long and they couldn't pressure Rodgers later in the game.

But quite a contrast from Mahomes who was slinging it yesterday, though he has a couple of great weapons in Hill and Kelce. But Andy Reid is an aggressive play caller.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Look at Nathan Peterman and please tell me how he's a better player than Kaepernick. Yeah, yeah, I know: Nobody has a right to a job, and the PR fallout would be huge. But Peterman is abominable.
Why did they let Taylor go, didn't want to pay him?

Ot they just want to rebuild so the worse record the better?
Taylor was owed a $6 million bonus and $10.4 million in salary if the Bills kept him past March 1 of this year. There was a general belief after last season that Taylor didn't carry the team to the playoffs and was mediocre at best, so they traded him to the Browns for picks and more cap space.

I still don't question that move, long term. Taylor isn't that good. But I do question the drafting of Allen, as I don't think he's that good, either. Accuracy problems in college don't improve in the pros.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Taylor isn't that good. But I do question the drafting of Allen, as I don't think he's that good, either. Accuracy problems in college don't improve in the pros.
Against the Dolphins he was HOF worthy. :lol:

Wrt to the Packers v Bears game. Everyone by now should know that Aaron Rodgers is probably the best QB in the NFL and if given enough time he's going to pull off some crazy sh*t for a win.

Edit: Is it just me or is Chris Collingsworth the Tim McCarver of the NFL? The guy tries so freaking hard to be like Madden in the booth. I just turn off the audio.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Wrt to the Packers v Bears game. Everyone by now should know that Aaron Rodgers is probably the best QB in the NFL and if given enough time he's going to pull off some crazy sh*t for a win.
Brady. Period.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote: Edit: Is it just me or is Chris Collingsworth the Tim McCarver of the NFL? The guy tries so freaking hard to be like Madden in the booth. I just turn off the audio.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Wrt to the Packers v Bears game. Everyone by now should know that Aaron Rodgers is probably the best QB in the NFL and if given enough time he's going to pull off some crazy sh*t for a win.
Brady. Period.
They're both GREAT but i'd still take Rodgers over Brady.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:
Brady. Period.
They're both GREAT but i'd still take Rodgers over Brady.
Agreed 100%. There's a reason the Packers have been absolute garbage with anyone else under center in Green Bay. Their coaching is and always has been fairly terrible and their offense relies on the strengths of Rodgers (improv being one of them). In New England, the Pats make the playoffs with any old turd under center (i.e. Matt Cassell????) because the system in place is what's successful. Yes, Brady is very good, but he's not Rodgers good.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Agreed 100%. There's a reason the Packers have been absolute garbage with anyone else under center in Green Bay. Their coaching is and always has been fairly terrible and their offense relies on the strengths of Rodgers (improv being one of them). In New England, the Pats make the playoffs with any old turd under center (i.e. Matt Cassell????) because the system in place is what's successful. Yes, Brady is very good, but he's not Rodgers good.
Rodgers has better arm strength, is elusive as hell out of the pocket, can extend plays with his legs and make some of the craziest throws and connect. IIRC, Rob a few years ago posted a YT video where Rodgers evaded defenders and threw the ball across his body and off his back foot into the endzone for a game winning TD. Brady might called the GOAT but I think Rodgers is the better QB and even better than Favre who also did some crazy sh*t on the field.

------------------------------------------------------
DAMAGE CONTROL ! :P

"According to Jon Gruden, Mack just didn't want to play for the Raiders. And that's why he was traded."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raid ... play-here/

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

That personal foul call on Donald was beyond disgusting.

Lets just play flag football.

GROTESQUE!

A man makes an amazing move that only he can make showing off his amazing talent and this f***in coward throws a flag.

Beyond sickening!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote: I saw only the second half but Trubitsky looked frazzled.
Yeah Mitch is no Mathew Stafford :D

Tru is young and getting better but I know that from watching every game and not a half of football. Worry about the next coming of Christ out there in San Fran Sissy with your boy Jimmy G. LOL
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Refusing to use your best offensive player is a sign of a moron...

I am sickened by the first half

Goff is s*** use Gurley!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Sweet ending

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Something to chew on for the Rodgers' worshippers:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/11 ... ay-packers

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Something to chew on for the Rodgers' worshippers:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/11 ... ay-packers
Interesting article...doesn't change my opinion with regards to Brady vs. Rodgers. And I see Brady play A LOT more. Maybe it's just because Miami handles him pretty well for the most part...that clouds my judgement of Brady, but he sure does seem like he's benefited greatly from his system and the stability there.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Rodgers still gets my vote over Brady. I don't think there's a QB in the NFL who is as lethal when he gets skittish in a collapsing pocket as Aaron Rodgers. Brady will just fall to the ground while Rodgers will just take off and extend the play either running with the ball or throwing it for a positive yard completion.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:Rodgers still gets my vote over Brady. I don't think there's a QB in the NFL who is as lethal when he gets skittish in a collapsing pocket as Aaron Rodgers. Brady will just fall to the ground while Rodgers will just take off and extend the play either running with the ball or throwing it for a positive yard completion.
I take Rogers. I believe Wentz is similar to Rogers (not equal...yet). Wentz has the mobility and the arm. He was the MVP of the league until he got hurt last year. After seeing Wentz play thru like week 5 last year my thought was - he’s the next Rogers.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Rodgers still gets my vote over Brady. I don't think there's a QB in the NFL who is as lethal when he gets skittish in a collapsing pocket as Aaron Rodgers. Brady will just fall to the ground while Rodgers will just take off and extend the play either running with the ball or throwing it for a positive yard completion.
I take Rogers. I believe Wentz is similar to Rogers (not equal...yet). Wentz has the mobility and the arm. He was the MVP of the league until he got hurt last year. After seeing Wentz play thru like week 5 last year my thought was - he’s the next Rogers.
Heck if Russell Wilson ever gets a decent OL I would put him near the A. Rodgers category when it comes to surviving the opponents' rush. Poor dude was sacked 6 times vs DEN over the weekend and still in the end it was a FG differential.

But yeah, I think Rodgers' smarts and ability to scramble out of trouble gets my vote for top QB today.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

This is an article on Pat Mahomes, but I thought you guys might like two of the throwaway comments, since they apply to discussions here.
If I may fire up the hyperbole train: This week, ESPN’s Ian O’Connor dropped the nugget that Tom Brady once told a coach that if Aaron Rodgers played for Bill Belichick he’d pass for 7,000 yards. Brady’s point was that with Belichick’s coaching, Rodgers would be even better than he is. Mahomes is not Rodgers and Reid is not Belichick, but what if Mahomes and Reid are a low-grade version of the Rodgers-Belichick fantasy? Mahomes is not going to pass for 7,000 yards, but they could be one of the league’s most productive pairings.

Reid is one of the most forward-thinking coaches in the game—he destroyed the Patriots with plays rarely run in the NFL in Week 1 a year ago. Giving Reid a smart, athletic, big-armed quarterback like Mahomes is like giving Jon Gruden a franchise player to trade away: The possibilities are endless.
:lol:

As for the article:

Patrick Mahomes II Is Here to Save the Deep Ball—and Destroy the NFL
Few things explain the current state of football more simply than the relationship between field goals and turnovers. In 2017, NFL teams kicked 169 field goals and committed 138 turnovers per 100 team games, according to research by analytics writer Chase Stuart. In 1950, teams made 51 field goals per 100 team games … and committed 373 turnovers. Those numbers remained in favor of the turnover for the next six decades. The story of the NFL is of those two numbers slowly converging, and now field goals have exceeded turnovers in every year since 2011.

What happened?

Quarterbacks are simply better at throwing risk-averse passes and efficiently marching their teams down the field for points. The amount of yards Drew Brees’s passes traveled in the air dropped from 8.3 yards per pass in 2009 to 6.4 in 2017, according to airyards.com. Eli Manning’s dropped from 9.8 in 2011 to 7.3 last year and 6.8 on Sunday against the Jaguars. Today’s quarterbacks are excelling at throwing quicker, shorter passes that not only neutralize the pass rush but limit the chances for turnovers.
According to Pro Football Focus’s Mike Renner, Mahomes’s average depth of target was 14.6 yards per pass on Sunday. The highest mark in the past decade over a season was 13.4. Mahomes is part of the anti-short-passing resistance inside the NFL.
On Sunday, 22 percent of Mahomes’s passes were thrown 20 or more yards down the field, per Pro Football Focus. Tyrod Taylor, at 25 percent, was the only quarterback higher—except Mahomes’s quarterback rating on those throws was 135.4, while Taylor’s was 33.3. For Dallas, just 3.4 percent of Dak Prescott’s passes were deep balls (one of 29). Two of Drew Brees’s 45 attempts were deep (4.4 percent). And three of Nathan Peterman’s 18 attempts were deep—a cool 16.7 percent. He completed zero of those attempts.

The Chiefs are not just running four deep routes and calling it a day, though. Mahomes hit fullback Anthony Sherman—the fullback!—off a wheel route for 36 yards.