NFL 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NFL 2018

Post by Danimal »

I didn't see a thread for this so started one.

Not sure who watches Hard Knocks anymore but holy s***. If you want to know why the Browns are 1-31 under Hue Jackson then watch episode 1. Pretty much every coach in the room was like "these guys are f***in soft and we are letting them get away with it" Hue, "It's my team b*tch, my way or the highway" Hell even your top free agent is in the training room telling his teammates they are soft as s*** in week 1 of training camp!!

Also Baker Mayfield is a f***in tool, I knew I didn't like this guy but last night confirmed it. Loved the part when he was asked what time he gets up in the morning. :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Diablo25 »

I watched episode 1 and didn’t get that vibe. Landry’s speech was just him setting the tone in the WR room as the new veteran acquisition. I’ve got no problem with Mayfield. He looked pretty good actually. The coaches meeting where they voiced concerns about Jackson being soft was a little concerning but he handled it well. All things considered, let’s see how they do in the first preseason game. My favorite part of the show was the “financial seminar” by the d-lineman (name escapes me). More f bombs in that meeting than the rest of the episode.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hue Jackson may not be a good head coach, but relying on the advice of Todd Haley and Gregg Williams as brilliant football sages is a mistake. Those guys are both Neanderthal morons.

And maybe hiring Haley and Williams says something about Jackson's judgment.

I wanted to hate Mayfield. But like Bill, I didn't see anything in the episode that caused me to retch in horror. He's a kid who has had his ass kissed his entire young adult life. Now he's learning that football is a job and a serious profession. He'll grow into the responsibilities.

My admiration of Tyrod Taylor is growing after episode one. I never cared for Ty much as a QB with the Bills, but I always read and heard he was a quality guy and very hard worker. The first episode only reinforced that.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I find it absolutely hilarious that in the coaches meeting you guys speak of, Jackson had to do things HIS WAY because it's his bus. His bus crashed into a flaming pile of 0-16 last year. Might be time for him to take some advice instead of jumping in lakes to cleanse themselves of that bus crash. The Browns will be the Browns.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:Hue Jackson may not be a good head coach, but relying on the advice of Todd Haley and Gregg Williams as brilliant football sages is a mistake. Those guys are both Neanderthal morons.
Not claiming they are top coaches but Haley has a better record as a Hc than Jackson. Plus he might of been the one speaking but you could see all the coaches faces. The fact the Browns let that air on TV says volumes, they might not have editorial control but I'm sure they could of squashed it.

I'd be willing to bet a beer with you that Mayfield's spoiled ass will never develop into a top tier QB
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Chiefs preseason starts tonight. The one good thing about the Rams getting out of town is Chiefs football i the Lou!

I've watched this like 17 times now. Can't wait.

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:I'd be willing to bet a beer with you that Mayfield's spoiled ass will never develop into a top tier QB
Depends on your definition of top-tier. Pro Bowler? No, I'm not taking that bet. Starter in the league for at least five seasons? You're on.

Mayfield suffers from far too many Manziel comparisons. Mayfield is far more talented than Manziel, and while he may be immature, he's nowhere as near the bottom of the gene pool as Johnny Football.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I'd be willing to bet a beer with you that Mayfield's spoiled ass will never develop into a top tier QB
Depends on your definition of top-tier. Pro Bowler? No, I'm not taking that bet. Starter in the league for at least five seasons? You're on.

Mayfield suffers from far too many Manziel comparisons. Mayfield is far more talented than Manziel, and while he may be immature, he's nowhere as near the bottom of the gene pool as Johnny Football.
Agreed....I think he's going to be a special player. He's got some magic in him and a will to win and be great. Manziel had some magic but never had the will to want to win and be great.....he just thought he was great.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

OK so what's this so-called helmet rule all about? I just watched Crowell lower his head getting into the endzone in the Jets/ATL game and there was no infraction. I thought that would have been called back when he lowered his helmet.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I watch a few plays here and there now but I stopped watching preseason football as a " football game" many many years ago.

Owners charging people real money to watch back ups practice.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:I watch a few plays here and there now but I stopped watching preseason football as a " football game" many many years ago.

Bingo. I watch every Bills' regular-season game. I barely watch a minute of preseason.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:I watch a few plays here and there now but I stopped watching preseason football as a " football game" many many years ago.

Bingo. I watch every Bills' regular-season game. I barely watch a minute of preseason.
Co signed.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I only watch preseason if there is a particular player or position battle I am interested in. So watched Pat Mahomes' mediocre performance Thursday night in t he 1st quarter, and then deleted it.

In the third game, when it is likely both teams have a lot of starters playing well into the 2nd quarter, I will watch. but again, I'm not looking for wins and losses, just to see how the first team is progressing. And I still watch with am massive grain of salt, water the preseason goes well or poorly.

I will tell you that in '99, I watched the Rams preseason and was sure the team was going to be competitive, and probably over .500. Kurt Warner was a question mark after Trent Green went down, but he clearly was able to get the ball to playmakers. I moved to St. Louis from KC in '98, so I was viewing it as on outsider. I can say that pretty much less than 5% of Ram fans in St. Louis thought they would even win more than a few games. It was surreal. After they lost their first two preseason games, fans turned on them.

I picked up Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk in week one in one of those fantasy leagues in which player's values go up or down throughout the season. There was a cap, so if you got a guy before his value went up, you had him cheap. f***in ESPN changed the rules mid season and reset all salaries, in part because everyone that had Warner was destroying everyone. He was worth peanuts, allowing teams to spend way more on other stars.

Last year, I watched preseason for Mahomes, but it was Kareem Hunt that caught my eye and made him a target in fantasy, again since he had a low profile, but the upside was clear in preseason.
Last edited by Aristo on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Aristo wrote:
I'm picked up Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk
Good on you!

Two HoFers for nothing. I wasnt that quick but I was super happy.

Fantasy is great but watching them win that season was even better.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

It's hard for me to watch NFL football at all anymore. Has nothing to do with players kneeling or anything like that. I can't stand all of the rules that even refs can't comprehend and replay after every fumble, interception, touchdown, sneeze, fart, you name it. There's no flow to the game anymore and it makes it very difficult for me to watch. Bring back the late 80's to mid-90's era and I'll be on the couch all day long.
GT = Wilk5280

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Wilk5280 wrote:It's hard for me to watch NFL football at all anymore. Has nothing to do with players kneeling or anything like that. I can't stand all of the rules that even refs can't comprehend and replay after every fumble, interception, touchdown, sneeze, fart, you name it. There's no flow to the game anymore and it makes it very difficult for me to watch. Bring back the late 80's to mid-90's era and I'll be on the couch all day long.
They are ruining the game yes.

I would love to go back to the mid late 70s myself.

It was a war. 8)

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

The Patriots are f***ed if Brady goes down. Hoyer is a 3rd stringer and Etling is not an NFL QB.

Also, did anybody watch the QB1 series? That was a super interesting series. I loved when the Ohio State QB coach asked Martell about what classes he was taking his senior year... b&w photography, office work, weight lifting... Hope they do a season 2.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote:
Wilk5280 wrote:It's hard for me to watch NFL football at all anymore. Has nothing to do with players kneeling or anything like that. I can't stand all of the rules that even refs can't comprehend and replay after every fumble, interception, touchdown, sneeze, fart, you name it. There's no flow to the game anymore and it makes it very difficult for me to watch. Bring back the late 80's to mid-90's era and I'll be on the couch all day long.

It was a war. 8)
You'd have a better chance of seeing the opening premier of Blazing Saddles 2 before that happens. Too many players citing brain injuries to go back to the 70's rule of play. I remember watching Jack Tatum with his clothesline tackles and Deacon Jones smacking the side of the OL helmet when the ball was snapped. Bradshaw a couple of years ago said you won't recognize the NFL in 10-15 yrs. There's even talk of eliminating kickoffs in the near future. What made the NFL popular in the past won't work today ergo, the NFL has got a huge problem.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

It was a war. 8)
You'd have a better chance of seeing the opening premier of Blazing Saddles 2 before that happens. Too many players citing brain injuries to go back to the 70's rule of play. I remember watching Jack Tatum with his clothesline tackles and Deacon Jones smacking the side of the OL helmet when the ball was snapped. Bradshaw a couple of years ago said you won't recognize the NFL in 10-15 yrs. There's even talk of eliminating kickoffs in the near future. What made the NFL popular in the past won't work today ergo, the NFL has got a huge problem.
All you say is true. I miss it the true barbarian that I am.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

It was a war. 8)
Very true. I played in ‘81 and the game is unrecognizable today.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

It is what it is. The game needs to change.

If the game wants to retain its ultimate toughness image while scaling back big hits, it needs to drastically reduce padding and go to something equivalent to the old leather helmets. Players won't be able to launch themselves like missiles anymore, but without protection, the hits will still seem vicious.

The other option is to full on flag football. Make it it a display of acrobatic catches and big plays. This is what the Pro Bowl ought to be. if they want me to waste a minute watching the Pro Bowl, it needs to be a real game. So flag football or a series of competitions like the old Superstars TV show.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Double post

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:All you say is true. I miss it the true barbarian that I am.
Simple solution: Watch more of the greatest sport on earth -- BOXING! :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:All you say is true. I miss it the true barbarian that I am.
Simple solution: Watch more of the greatest sport on earth -- BOXING! :)
The last fight I saw was in the movie Ocean's 11 :D
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:The last fight I saw was in the movie Ocean's 11 :D
You're missing out. Boxing is flush with talent right now! Too bad the sanctioning bodies and promoters couldn't promote free water in the Sahara.