Madden 19 with RPM

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 19 with RPM

Post by pk500 »

The CPU running game does suck. But that's nothing new. When is the last time the CPU ran the ball effectively in Madden?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:The CPU running game does suck. But that's nothing new. When is the last time the CPU ran the ball effectively in Madden?
How is time mgmt in the game, has it improved? In a Madden 18 game I recently played, the CPU was down by 2 scores in the 4th with less than 3 minutes to go. It let me run off the clock twice until I punted. They got the ball back with around 1:20 secs left. Then they called 3 timeouts in a row with some questionable playcalls.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:The CPU running game does suck. But that's nothing new. When is the last time the CPU ran the ball effectively in Madden?
It's new from a standpoint of they'd typically get a 1.5 ypc average or something.

Now, you can hold them to 13 carries for -10 yards. Yet they keep trying, so I guess that's a bonus!

I think Dan gave up 40 yards rushing in 3 games combined, so it's a new level of "bad CPU rushing", IMO.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The only workaround to bad CPU running in the past has been to lower some of the Players defensive sliders and upping the CPU's running stats. That typically gets them to run more and break a few more tackles.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Agreed...but the slider insanity is something I've always tried to avoid. It's so subjective. What can feel great in Play Now vs. one team is impossible vs. another team in CFM.

Gets tiring, so I pretty much want to line up and see what it is out of the box and not adjust anything for a couple of seasons, at a minimum.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yeah the run game is at a new low. It has never been great but not this bad. I've already tweaked the sliders and it hasn't helped much. I at first thought it was the unnecessary juking but they toned that down and it didn't help. I don't know what is causing it but it's not even a threat and screens aren't much of one either so you can game plan on defense and only need to worry about the pass.

Of course head to head not of this is a problem.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

OK so the game is priced at $40 on PSN for the next few days. Have the issues you guys encountered in the game been addressed or is it just better to stick with Madden 18 and my updated rosters?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It got way worse, IMO.

It was almost perfect during beta for me personally. QBs couldn't hot route receivers 7 times at the line, the CPU AI defense was very hard to move the ball against. The only issue I wish they fixed was the CPU running game, but that's existed for years, so I didn't see that getting resolved.

But with the tournament guys whining, patches changed it so that the QB can hot route everything in a nanosecond again, and the CPU defense has been neutered so badly that I can almost always complete 85% of my passes in a game again. It might end up being 29 of 32 with 2 drops and one random play where a CPU defender makes a great play in a 1 on 1 situation and intercepts me.

I'm frustrated beyond words. It's like what I told Dan--never has a game gone from such an elevated status in my mind to pure crap in a shorter time period. This wasn't the "new game smell" wearing off, it was watching it change drastically from patch to patch. I'm back to finding my own personal challenges with the game, by playing from the "zoomed in" camera on offense, and that reversed player-camera on defense, so that I can struggle against the CPU again.

On the plus side, they adjusted the human run blocking/cpu block shed so that you can grind out yards up the middle, now. I will be able to get the 3 to 5 yards up the middle if I've got a seam and hold RB to get skinny, but still get stuffed if it's a stacked box/no lane to run through. I'm consistently getting 80ish yards with my lead back, and not hitting 150 or 200, so for my personal style, it's not overpowered yet.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wow. Sad, but honest and excellent feedback, Terry. Thanks!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sounds like sticking with M18 and updated rosters is the way to go, thanks !

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Sounds like sticking with M18 and updated rosters is the way to go, thanks !
Exactly what I’m doing. Especially since it’s free w EA Access. Haha.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Sounds like sticking with M18 and updated rosters is the way to go, thanks !
Same!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Same!
Of course! :P

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So there was another Patch released on 9/10. For better or worse they nerfed RPM and the game plays pretty much like Madden 18. A lot of people are happy, I'm not. It is hard to go back to unrealistic movement and defenders defying the laws of physics and making plays. It sucks to fix your games issues you basically need to remove it's only realistic feature.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't get to play the closed beta, it was pretty much the best football game ever released in closed beta. How we got from that to this in less than 2 months is beyond me.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:I feel bad for anyone who didn't get to play the closed beta, it was pretty much the best football game ever released in closed beta. How we got from that to this in less than 2 months is beyond me.
Bingo. I went from envisioning myself playing 15 seasons in CFM this year, to barely being able to play a single game, now. It's times like this where I realize what a tiny little niche I am in, demographically. Clearly, their money is made in the online arena and head to head games. I just don't understand why you even include SIM, COMP, and ARCADE modes if you're going to do things that affect them all equally?

It's sad, but I guess the good part is they do this sh*t right in the Fall Release window. I'll have too many other games that will hold my attention through Christmas, and I may fire up Madden now and then when I feel like a football fix. It certainly won't be anything that gets a lot of time in a CFM now, however.

And they won't care. They'll get their money from the MUT and H2H crowds. It is what it is!

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

Is it possible to buy the game and prevent/stop it from being patched to get the original RPM?
Gamer Tag - mmeh97
Owner in the DSP Official League - Eagles

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I haven't really played Madden for an extended time since I was in the Marines back in 1989-1993 on the Sega Genesis, I think it was Madden 93.

I purchase it almost every year and play maybe 4-6 games and then never go back to it. The NCAA series was a different story, that was my football fix.

Enter Madden 19, I played it on EA Access and was like, this isn't a bad game. I purchased the digital copy and started a franchise with the Arizona Cardinals. I play on AP defaults, 15M/16 accel clock with 75 speed threshold. There were issues after release, mainly the CPU could not run the ball. I was the best run defense in the league in 2018, also led in sacks and INTs. We went 10-6 and won the division. We lost to the Rams in the Wildcard game. Earlier in the year I traded Sam Bradford to the Giants and my #2 draft pick for their #1 draft pick. I had first round picks of #9 and #23. I had to improve my OL as we gave up the most sacks. The 9th pick comes around and the best WR in the draft is still there, I draft him and he has 96 speed and 96 acceleration. I take a MLB at #23... probably should have taken an OL. We have a ton of injuries in 2019 but still secure a Wildcard game. We play in Philadelphia and get killed (our #1 and #2 WRs and RBs were out). EA has patched this game every month and I think tuned it as well and now the game is really a challenge. The CPU teams can run the ball, call plays that fit the down, and will also scramble and run the ball.

We had a decent draft, but are 0-3 on the season in 2020. I've benched Rosen, but Glennon's arm is terrible so Rosen will be back in week 4. They really have done a great job streamlining the game, from scouting, progression, free agency, the draft, etc. Nothing slows the game down and certain things you can have the CPU take care of.

I purchased an LG "55 4K UHD TV a couple of weeks ago, as well as an Xbox One X. When I played my first Madden game I was in awe of the lighting and graphics. This game runs great on the XB1 and in 4k HDR.

Overall, I'd have to say this is the greatest Madden I've ever played. Sure I hate those camera shots to the head coach on almost every play and I would like the presentation ramped up, but after several patches, this is such a great game!
Last edited by MizzouRah on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

As with most Madden's it's a great game in December after 4 or 5 patches. However like you I am finding it really good.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:As with most Madden's it's a great game in December after 4 or 5 patches. However like you I am finding it really good.
Each team is different too, which is great. Playing Seattle last night, Wilson was great at avoiding me sacking him and would scramble out of trouble.

Game was tied 20-20 late in the 4th and they held us to a 3 and out. They would get within FG range and kick a 56 yarder to win the game as time ran out. Not sure I should have told my owner we would win 11 games.

Played Gurley and the Rams last season and Gurley ran for 272 yards against me, he was unstoppable. I have injuries on default as well and it's been a struggle, so I've really tried to sign depth at certain positions.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I eagerly await for when Madden 19 drops on EA Access, probably within two months. No chance I'm spending even $30 on a game that will be free for me within six to eight weeks.

Good to hear that the game has improved, as I was less than impressed with the Trial on EA Access back in August.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Beat Washington 34-31 in OT and it was one hell of a game. Of course David Johnson gets injured in the first half, I guess I can applaud him for going two games without an injury. Rosen redeems himself, going 16-16 until his first incomplete pass. He ended up around 70% and no INTs.

We are now 1-3 and head into LA to take on the 2-2 Rams.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

We CRUSH the Rams 41-17 and outscored them 41-7 after being down 10-0 after the first quarter.

That's what I really love about this game, no two games are alike.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Lost the last two games and we are 2-5 and Rosen is out for 5 weeks. I told the owner we would finish 11-5, yikes! I might be looking for a job after this season.

Our defense has went into the crapper, we knocked out Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills last game and their rookie QB lit us up.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

We beat the Lions 37-21 and I had the best run I've had so far in M19.

RB David Johnson ran a sweep to the outside and I did a spin move to leave one DB sliding by and then a great block from our WR Dixon which gave me good room up the sideline, two DB's were coming at me and I hit the RS to the right which caused DJ to sidestep to his right to avoid one DB and then finish the 2nd DB off with a spin move and then he was off 72 yards for a TD. I watched the replay at least 10x.

Backup Mike Glennon threw a pick 6 early in the game, but then would go on to throw 3 TD's. One was an 82 yard TD to our 2nd year playmaker Dixon who has a 96 speed and 97 acceleration. He also had a 41 yard TD to JJ Nelson who's almost as fast as Dixon.

Our defense actually played well with 2 INT's and 4 sacks.

Now 3-5, we head to Seattle (3-4-1), a very tough place to play.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, my 10 hour EA Access trial is just about up. Yeah, it's taken me that long to use up the 10 hours. This game just doesn't grab me for whatever reason. I'll enjoy playing a quarter or two but then ultimately I just become bored with it. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the animations, the robotic movement, weird tackling, etc....In any case, this will be the first time in probably 20 something years I didn't purchase Madden.