NHL 19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NHL 19

Post by GameSeven »

Bad first impression for me.. first game couldn't get 5 seconds in because of the faceoff loop bug (really?) and second game locked up at start outright. Needed to close and restart bets. Hopefully third time's the charm..

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Watch for those sticks guys. Easy calls into the penalty box if you spam the poke button. You’re warned.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Ok, third game was a much better experience as I notched a hat trick in a 5-4 loss.

Quick thoughts.

I like the skating engine. Definitely far less floaty. Guys seem to interact with the playing surface better. I saw a couple of nice keeps at the blue line that I don't think would have come off the same way in recent years.

I am not a big fan of the "everyone wears there own gear" nature of the current casual drop-in play. Maybe if everyone wears an appropriate light/dark jersey, but right now with hoodies and parkas, it's sometimes challenging to tell teammates at a glance. Returning to club unis will be welcome tomorrow.

There were a TON of penalties. But I only took one and I've been known to be careless with stick infractions before. It's going to take discipline to defend without ending up in the box... Until EA gets a ton of grief and nerfs it again.

Hitting seemed pretty good. Managed to deal out a couple of big, satisfying checks. Was on the receiving end of a couple, but nothing seemed crazy over the top...

Looking forward to a club night or two to see what you guys think.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Watch for those sticks guys. Easy calls into the penalty box if you spam the poke button. You’re warned.
Point blank there are too many tripping penalties. As I stated above, I took 15 penalties in an online versus game. Just typical use of the poke check and 15 penalties. Ridiculous. There were at least 5 called on me that that were straight up a joke. I have no problem with toning down poke checks but come on. I blame Trump.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

GameSeven wrote:Looking forward to a club night or two to see what you guys think.
I think the overall skating engine and player movement has improved. Pivoting and turning seems more fluid. We’ll see how that translates in general among club games but as you mentioned trying to find the right opening with everyone wearing different gears and colors was strange and different.

Try to get the Club customized if you got the time Seven, or Vader, let’s meet around the usual time but hopefully with everyone already set with their proper characters, looks and settings ready to go. Get your favourite camera angles, visual aides that we all know by now turned off, all those things take about 15 minutes to set up.

I played a couple of games and it’s fair to say that everyone tries to feel the game in the beginning, but the parade to the box is too much for me and you really have to be careful how you poke at your opponent. In a way it’s good, it warns people to play better positionally, but you will get called always if you’re just a step behind the opponent and try to play catch up.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I set the club up last night, didn't play any games only interested in playing EASHL club games.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If you want to sharpen your skills both in defense and offense, ‘Ones’ is a fun mode to play.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Played a bit of the 1v1v1. meh so far. probably needs to have the area expanded by 10 feet or so in order to get enough space to make it a bit more fun.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Ok Dragons, it was certainly a new experience last night. At the end of the day, we must all remember that this is a Beta. We must all adjust to the new gameplay or we’ll be killing penalties forever. That’s where the stamina meter becomes so important. There were periods when I was telling myself that that my player was slowing down considerably and when I checked on my meter and realized that I was just killing penalties 2-3 times in a row, it all made sense.

I think it’ll get toned down a notch when the game gets release. But let’s not forget how much we used to whine as to how people would spam the poke button. I am all for learning how to play D again, and learning how to time properly the poke check.

When you poke and don’t hit the opponents stick-nor the puck itself, you’ll get called 100% of the time. I am fine with that, so playing positionally sound is more important this year.

I like the new skating physics, there are things we must adjust to and let’s be aware that this is the way EA is going to make us play this year, like it or not. I personally like it. Then I ran into this...

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Played a couple of games this afternoon. The personal gear is growing on me for drop-in games as A change of pace.

Code still seems buggy since I still run into the odd lockup on starting games here and there.

Penalties abound, but almost everytime I take one I sense it just before I hit that button. On the other hand, I've been rewarded with takeaways through good body position. I've been able to get inside position on a puck carrier and the game sometimes grants you a bit of separation of the man from the puck.

The loadouts have grown on me. The interface is annoying (why can't I assign equipment changes to both my pro and casual builds at the same time?), but I like that we're back to having some level of customization to differentiate ourselves from one another. I like speedy forwards with offensive and defensive stickwork and I can build that now by shaving off a bit of height and weight and use of perks.

Yes, the perks are a bit like "CHEL of Duty" but once you setup a couple of loadouts for a forward and d-man, you can leave them unless you like to tinker.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Vader be like:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Accept my Club request. Vibrantorange.

I've done pretty well at the 1v1v1 so far. Can be a fun mode.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Last night. That was a blast. At least that is how I remember it.

Dragons!

Edit: She audio taped me for a stretch last night. Listening OMG ... :lol: :lol:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Looks like there can be one more Friday night with Beta Tiny Tapper. :)

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

The deep dive into poke checking mentioned in that piece is also a good read.

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion ... d-feedback

Talks about the variables and physics that go into the action as well as the design philosophy about defending the puckcarrier in general.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Damn, wished they extended it until the whole weekend to see the new changes. Really enjoyed the Beta.

Out of town still boyz, will see you probably tomorrow.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I hate that in the 1v1v1:

-that if you go to pull the puck out of the corner in the end away from the next you get pinned in there.
-players can hit you away from the puck and take you out without repercussion.
-the f***in clown gear. just give me CCM standard warm-up gear and different skates. I don't want the virtual me to look like a f***in d*****.

I do love dropping into the EASHL and finding players who play real hockey. Just a blast when you get players who use the points, pass and just know what they are doing. I need to get into the DSP hockey nights more often. I can play any position and am happy to play the stay at home D role as well, f*** playing goalie though. I suck at that.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Xbox One EA Access 10 hour trial available now, 29.51 GB download.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Quick Dragons night tonight then? Who’s in?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

10spro wrote:Quick Dragons night tonight then? Who’s in?
I’m in if we get enough players, got the team set up and ready to go.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

vader29 wrote:Xbox One EA Access 10 hour trial available now, 29.51 GB download.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

vader29 wrote:
Seven, XXXIX, Diablo, British guy...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looks like HUT is a lot more like MUT this year. That is a good thing.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

10spro wrote:
vader29 wrote:
Seven, XXXIX, Diablo, British guy...
Downloading... Won't be able to get on until around 11 my time, plus need a few minutes for setup, but will try to be quick if we're going to hop on tonight.