TheHunter: Call of the Wild

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

TheHunter: Call of the Wild

Post by Teal »

Guys, we've been gushing about this game in the Xbox/PS4 thread, but it deserves it's own thread. I'm gonna make a bold statement: I have never been as utterly shocked and amazed at a game in my entire gaming life. The Hunter absolutely owns me. I have always played the Cabela's games, and have found enjoyment in them despite their shortcomings. This game lays waste to the best Cabela's game. By a metric ton.
The Hunter is a simulator in the best sense of the word. There is no bullet cam, no x-ray impact shots, and very few easy kills. You will earn your trophies, and you can't run and gun and expect to do anything but walk by yourself. This game requires patience, timing, the right gear, careful aiming, and a bit of luck. All just like real hunting.
The AI is phenomenal. Animals behave like they should, herd together like they should, buck and run when shot, slow to a limp when they're almost dry of blood, kick up their heads when a noise startles them... It's just something to behold. A wounded bear, bison, elk, and moose will charge you if they see you, which means you have to be ready to defend yourself.
The sights and sounds are just glorious. This is easily one of the best looking games I've ever seen, besting or at least on par with far cry 5 imo. The vistas are simply stunning, from the early morning light filtering through the fall leaves, to the majestic mountain ranges, to the grass blowing gently in the breeze. The sound is on par with the visuals. Gun shots have appropriate distance filters, so that your partner firing a gun 500 yards away sounds very different from 5 yards. The wind through the trees, the rain, hell you can even hear the snow fall if you're quiet enough.
The three maps are gigantic; each could be a single map in a single game and no one would complain about the size. They are all distinct from another in style, too. Upper northwest US mountains, English countrysides, and Siberian wilderness all compete for your time wandering through them, and each are worthy.
I just can't say enough good things about this game. Its not going to scratch an ADD itch, but will reward the diligent. It's absolutely my surprise of the year, and my new favorite game. Long, long legs.
Last edited by Teal on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: TheHunter: Call of the Wild

Post by pk500 »

Can't sing "GIVE ME A HALLELUJAH, PEOPLE!!!" any more to Teal's post. This game challenges, pleases and astonishes me the more I play it. And I'm not a hunter. I've never fired a firearm in my life. Just BB guns as a kid.

theHunter owns me right now, too. It's to me what Fortnite is to my 13-year-old son right now -- the only game I'm playing. :)

If you want a chill game that is challenging, rewards patience, stealth and thought, and is flat out GORGEOUS, please hunt with Teal and me. We're not hard to find: We're hunting together from about 11 p.m. (ET) until who the hell knows damn near every night. :)

FYI -- theHunter: Call of the Wild is available on Xbox Game Pass, which is only $1 this month, I believe. Please try this game if anything we've described in these two posts scratches any itch even the slightest. You may be just as blow away as us.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Alright...I'll bite. The wife is out of town for a few days so I have some extended evenings to give it a shot. Damn you guys. LOL.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I DL it but I am in the Dominican on vacation so I will be giving it a go when I return. You guys have me excited for it.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Alright...I'll bite. The wife is out of town for a few days so I have some extended evenings to give it a shot. Damn you guys. LOL.
What time can you hunt tonight? :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Alright...I'll bite. The wife is out of town for a few days so I have some extended evenings to give it a shot. Damn you guys. LOL.
What time can you hunt tonight? :)
It’s downloading now...slow as F. If not tonight, tomorrow. I know it’s getting late out there on that side of the country. LOL.

Plus, probably need to get my feet wet with some tutorials or something first anyway. Amateur hour over here.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Not much in the way of a tutorial. Just kinda throws you in and says "good luck"... Lol. But PK clued me into some British dudes YouTube channel that plays the hell out of it. That's been helpful.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Lol - this thread. I love it too. What a wacky surprise. My gamer tag is DrPartytime.

I echo everyone else’s comments. A great game that is REALLY hard at first, but is worth the effort. See you fools online!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Teal wrote:Not much in the way of a tutorial. Just kinda throws you in and says "good luck"... Lol. But PK clued me into some British dudes YouTube channel that plays the hell out of it. That's been helpful.
Yeah, the DSP Effect strikes again--at least it's not something I have to actually buy this time!

I got a deer in that mini-tutorial and then essentially wandered around clueless for about 20 minutes before I shut it off. Seemed cool, but I had no idea what I was doing, and I'm damned sure not a hunter in real life, so I had no idea what I was doing :lol:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Hop in with us soon and we can run you through the paces.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:
Teal wrote:Not much in the way of a tutorial. Just kinda throws you in and says "good luck"... Lol. But PK clued me into some British dudes YouTube channel that plays the hell out of it. That's been helpful.
Yeah, the DSP Effect strikes again--at least it's not something I have to actually buy this time!

I got a deer in that mini-tutorial and then essentially wandered around clueless for about 20 minutes before I shut it off. Seemed cool, but I had no idea what I was doing, and I'm damned sure not a hunter in real life, so I had no idea what I was doing :lol:
I got the first deer too, then wandered for 2 hours, tracking other deer, and only saw and got off one single shot and missed. Yeah...noooooo idea what's going on, lol. Seemed cool however. Need to watch some youtube.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Terry, Scott, Gregg and everyone else buying this game:

Let Teal and I know when you want to hunt. I'm only a Webelo to his Eagle Scout, but we know our way around the hunting neighborhoods in this game and can show you the ropes.

VERY effective to team hunt. Guy with best shot takes it, and then you track together. Shooter gets to claim trophy when you find the downed animal. Fun, too!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Oh, and go ahead, Teal: Please brag about the massive animal you downed last night after I went to bed. You F*CKER. :) :) :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:Oh, and go ahead, Teal: Please brag about the massive animal you downed last night after I went to bed. You F*CKER. :) :) :)
LMAO, okay. If you insist. I tracked and took down a 1221 pound monster bull moose last night after I had to end our session to track a coyote in real life out on our farm... Lol.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:Oh, and go ahead, Teal: Please brag about the massive animal you downed last night after I went to bed. You F*CKER. :) :) :)
LMAO, okay. If you insist. I tracked and took down a 1221 pound monster bull moose last night after I had to end our session to track a coyote in real life out on our farm... Lol.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Teal wrote:
I tracked and took down a 1221 pound monster bull moose last night
Should be an automatic "pics or it didn't happen" requirement for these brags!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

TCrouch wrote:
Teal wrote:
I tracked and took down a 1221 pound monster bull moose last night
Should be an automatic "pics or it didn't happen" requirement for these brags!
Is this why my ex mother-in-law has been quiet on Facebook today?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

ScoopBrady wrote:Is this why my ex mother-in-law has been quiet on Facebook today?
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beautiful hahaha

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal texted me a pic this morning of the moose kill. CONFIRMED! :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal take Pk on a real hunting trip and video tape it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Teal take Pk on a real hunting trip and video tape it.
That would be VERY dangerous to Teal's health if I was in the same mental shape as I am when we play theHunter almost every night. :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:Teal take Pk on a real hunting trip and video tape it.
That would be VERY dangerous to Teal's health if I was in the same mental shape as I am when we play theHunter almost every night. :)
Lol, SH*T no. Though it would likely make for must see TV... :lol:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Bagged three does and a fox today. Not a bad day by any stretch. One thing about this game: ALL game is good game to hunt. There's a tendency to want to jump in and go straight for the big boys, but it's largely fruitless. The .243 you start with simply isn't gonna take down your bull elk, moose, and bison. Your proficiency score with each weapon determines when you are able to upgrade your weapon, along with making the coin to afford it. So every opportunity, be it Jack rabbit, coyote, fox, or puny doe, adds up. No, they aren't as sexy as a big buck or 1200 pound moose, but this game clearly wants you to progress, which is why the higher level weapons are locked behind progression. I took the moose with a crossbow and broadhead bolts, both of which were DLC. Even then, it took two shots to bring it down, which is rare to do with a crossbow. The moose was stunned by my first shot just enough for me to crank the bow for another shot.
So first rule of the hunter? Track, earn points, and money, and buy a new call or scent before the big gun. Then call in those fox, and coyotes, and there money will add up, as well as the XP. You'll earn perks and skill points to apply to things that WILL make you better.
If you get the DLC, (which I recommend, both packs) you'll get a fantastic Siberian wilderness, and some new gear, including ATVs. They're great for getting around, but will spook game for 300 yards in every direction. So keep that in mind. Stay upwind from game, if at all possible, within 150 yards. If you find "very fresh" or "just now" droppings, crouch, begin using calls, and move slowly, avoiding underbrush as much as possible. There are three indicators in the lower right of the screen, heart rate, visibility meter, and noise level. Watch those constantly. If you're pegging the noise meter, your going to scare the game. If they spot you, they're bolting. If you're running around, your heart rate will make your sights jump all over the place. The left stick needs to be finessed to move slowly enough that you don't make a sound when you're close to game. Hiding near trees and brush can make your visibility flatline, which renders you invisible. After a successful kill, the area you're in on the map will turn purple. That means the animals will be more skittish and scarce in that area. Move away for awhile and let it "reset".

Okay, enough tips for now... Lol. I'll be on tonight, jump in and join me if you can!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal and I will be online hunting after midnight ET tonight if anyone wants to join us!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

God damn...I am on vacation and I’m jonesing to get home and try this damn game.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25