College Football (not EA) Coming Back...sort of

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

College Football (not EA) Coming Back...sort of

Post by Murph »

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ion-gaming
IVG says the game will have 126 created teams. Users would — wink, wink — be able to customize teams, rosters, and more, meaning eventually, a robust gamer community could create versions of enough real-life, NCAA teams to just about fill out an FBS-like league.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: College Football (not EA) Coming Back...sort of

Post by Danimal »

I'll believe it when it actually happens and not before.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was reading an article but I forget from where that says the Courts want to revisit the laws on collegiate sports which may allow EA Sports to get back and sell College Football games again.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Rodster wrote:I was reading an article but I forget from where that says the Courts want to revisit the laws on collegiate sports which may allow EA Sports to get back and sell College Football games again.
They should. Absolutely stupid ruling before.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:
Rodster wrote:I was reading an article but I forget from where that says the Courts want to revisit the laws on collegiate sports which may allow EA Sports to get back and sell College Football games again.
They should. Absolutely stupid ruling before.
It's the NCAA who's at fault. They make millions off the college kids while paying some Head Coaches more than NFL coaches. Their argument of free education doesn't hold any water because 95% of those college kids are in school to play pro ball and the schools are making millions off their skills. An article I read from Ed O'Bannon makes the point that EA doesn't have a problem paying for naming rights for the players. It's the hypocritical NCAA that won't allow them to get paid. LeBron James rightfully called the NCAA a corrupt organization.

Here's Ed O'Bannon's side of the story if anyone wants to read it. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ideo-games

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Psh. That's getting into completely irrelevant territory. There's no way anyone could ever prove a likeness in a game that doesn't use names or likenesses. It was a cash in by people wanting to whine and make a buck. Plain and simple. This "paying college players" stuff is old and tired.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:Psh. That's getting into completely irrelevant territory. There's no way anyone could ever prove a likeness in a game that doesn't use names or likenesses. It was a cash in by people wanting to whine and make a buck. Plain and simple. This "paying college players" stuff is old and tired.
No it’s actually VERY relevant because that’s why there’s no College sports games anymore.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

No, there's no more college games because some goofball filled a lawsuit over some kind of likeness nonsense. The snowball into hell started there. There's no correlation to EA being willing to pay players. And that wouldn't matter anyway because it's been against the rules since forever. Plus, there aren't any real college players in those games.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Personally, I've advocated for the approach these other guys are taking. Create a sports title, make it completely editable down to conferences, titles, stadiums and arenas, post season play, uniforms, everything. Let the community create and share, and to hell with paying licenses to anyone for anything.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:No, there's no more college games because some goofball filled a lawsuit over some kind of likeness nonsense.
Correct and that Goofball would be Ed O'Bannon. He wanted to get paid for EA using his likeness and they (EA) had to pay $40 million. If the NCAA let players get paid for what they do instead of raking in the dough from their on field performance then this would all be a moot point. Players want to get paid and EA is willing to pay but the NCAA doesn't want the players to get paid. So I take the players side. No need for the NCAA to rake in the profits from the sale of the games and not give the players a cut.

The bottom line is there are no more College sports games and it's not because EA can't sell them or they are bored making those games. It's all about "show me the money".

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Dude, EA filled NCAA rosters with players that looked similar, had similar skills, were from the same hometowns, and had there same numbers and their real life counterparts. What EA did was a violation. That doesn't mean they had to do it that way.

But I suspect EA does not believe that the average user will buy the game ion the teams were legitimately random. That Alabama might be horrible and New Mexico a national Champion.

And they probably are worried about giving gamers too much power to customize and then distribute accurate rosters on their servers. It's not unlike Youtube preventing copyright infringing videos. Can you imagine gamer rage when EA blocks certain rosters for violations?

As for the new game, I have zero confidence this game sees the light of day.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I created a guy in Ghost Recon Wildlands that looks a lot like me. My wife even agreed. Do I need to pursue litigation against Ubisoft to get some cash?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:I created a guy in Ghost Recon Wildlands that looks a lot like me. My wife even agreed. Do I need to pursue litigation against Ubisoft to get some cash?
That's not the point and you know it. Here's what players are upset about and they make a valid point. Did Blake Griffin make any money from the NCAA when EA made him the coverboy?

Look the amateur sports BS is a sham, College sports is big money and the NCAA doesn't want to cut the players in on it. Thankfully the Olympics dropped the amateur vs professional facade sometime ago. Players want a cut if they feel they are being profited from and it's not for you or I to decide. The Courts heard their case and sided with them. So no more College sports games.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Rodster wrote:
Teal wrote:I created a guy in Ghost Recon Wildlands that looks a lot like me. My wife even agreed. Do I need to pursue litigation against Ubisoft to get some cash?
That's not the point and you know it. Here's what players are upset about and they make a valid point. Did Blake Griffin make any money from the NCAA when EA made him the coverboy?

Look the amateur sports BS is a sham, College sports is big money and the NCAA doesn't want to cut the players in on it. Thankfully the Olympics dropped the amateur vs professional facade sometime ago. Players want a cut if they feel they are being profited from and it's not for you or I to decide. The Courts heard their case and sided with them. So no more College sports games.
He was a pro when he was made the cover athlete, yes?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Teal wrote: This "paying college players" stuff is old and tired.
Agreed. Crazy to think that just a few years ago some people still thought it economically just and fair to s*** on the free market and set up a closed system that let Universities and their employees make billions from barely-compensated labor.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

NCAA rules are 'incomprehensible,' says Condoleezza Rice
“We believe that students ought to be able to benefit from name, image and likeness but you can’t decide a program until you know the legal parameters,” Rice told USA TODAY Sports.

Both Coach Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh side with the players.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 596549002/

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:NCAA rules are 'incomprehensible,' says Condoleezza Rice
“We believe that students ought to be able to benefit from name, image and likeness but you can’t decide a program until you know the legal parameters,” Rice told USA TODAY Sports.

I am with the the players too.

These fucks make millions and dont allow these guys they feed off of to go on a f***in date.

Im not into the plantation bullshit but it is bullshit.

Let them at least be able to take a girl out....

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I don't give a damn. I want my college football back. Still say the lawsuit was stretching to its fullest.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote:
Rodster wrote:NCAA rules are 'incomprehensible,' says Condoleezza Rice

I am with the the players too.

These fucks make millions and dont allow these guys they feed off of to go on a f***in date.

Im not into the plantation bullshit but it is bullshit.

Let them at least be able to take a girl out....
Right on !

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

You want to pay players I'm fine wit that just do the following.

1 Get rid of their scholarships and make all scholarships academic ones. Let help smart people who might contribute to society go to school

2. Get rid of meal stipends, I got $54 a day on any trips where games were involved that was back in 1986 at a D3 school. I can't imagine what they get now but if you're getting paid buy your own food like every other college student.

3. Stop providing tutors for free. Hold them to the same standards as any other student.

That is just a start, I could go on but the bottom line is if you want to be paid for playing a sport in college then front the bill and responsibility for everything else. However that will never happen because a good portion of these student athletes wouldn't last a semester without the special treatment they are given.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:You want to pay players I'm fine wit that just do the following.

1 Get rid of their scholarships and make all scholarships academic ones. Let help smart people who might contribute to society go to school

2. Get rid of meal stipends, I got $54 a day on any trips where games were involved that was back in 1986 at a D3 school. I can't imagine what they get now but if you're getting paid buy your own food like every other college student.

3. Stop providing tutors for free. Hold them to the same standards as any other student.

That is just a start, I could go on but the bottom line is if you want to be paid for playing a sport in college then front the bill and responsibility for everything else. However that will never happen because a good portion of these student athletes wouldn't last a semester without the special treatment they are given.
Right on!

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'm all for this!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't have a problem with Dan's ideas/suggestions. Take a poll and i'd wager 90%+ of those kids are not in school to learn. The problem is all those schools won't get the best athletes. The underlying issue is that the NCAA is really an "unofficial Pro League". The Olympic committee had to deal with similar issues, who's really a Pro vs an Amateur when the Russian Hockey team was in reality an unofficial Pro team. Now it doesn't matter whether you are a Pro or Amateur in the Olympics.

The first step is for the NCAA to admit it's a money making machine which they won't. Their stance is pretty much, it's an academic environment for students wanting to learn, meanwhile the NCAA along with the universities are making money on TV deals, Bowl games etc, which is why good college HC's are getting paid millions per year. The idea of putting some money in a students/player trust fund is not a bad idea either. The fact that more are speaking up on this subject indicates that there is positive movement on all sides of this debate.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bull's eye. But I did like my meal stipends when I ran Division I cross country and track in the mid-1980s. Bought a lot of beer with those. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Meh...

Dan’s ideas are just way to put a dickhead spin on paying players, as though athletes should be ashamed of themselves.

All that needs to be done are two things. The NBA can apply rules like the MLB or NHL. Either players go pro out of high school or they wait three years, or the NHL route in which players can get drafted but can still stay in college until they are actually ready.

Then, let players use a clearing house to sell their images and autograph. You license the player through an NCAA office that just verifies it isn’t an alumni just funneling cash, then the NCAA forwards the cash to the player.

If you want to instituted bunch of other anti-student athlete stuff, have on. It’s stupid, rude, and clueless, but it makes some people feel better.

But other college students not only have jobs, but get paid by the school to produce work for the school. My brother, after his aerospace engineering masters at Purdue got a free ride offer to go back to KU for law school, and on top of it was offered a cush job in the aerospace engineering department on top of that. He turned it down, because graduating from Michigan Law School was still better.

When architecture students from KU won a national prize in a contest, all the students got several thousand dollars, except the football player, because that would have been unbearable. He got nothing.

All the while, the coaches, schools, and NCAA are pockets billions off the play of kids.

Sorry, just not gonna get worked up when kids take money on the side, or want to get paid legitimately. If the money somehow ruins the experience, the the real fix is simple. Take college sports off TV. Suck the f***in cash out of it and let amateur sports be amateur sports.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL