OOTP Baseball 19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OOTP Baseball 19

Post by Danimal »

So is anyone playing this game. I stopped buying text sims about 4 or 5 years ago but my interest is peaked because they have 3D animations now. Remionds me of the old Microleague Baseball for those old enough.

However reviews are mixed on the animations, some say they are awesome. Some say they don't even represent the play. Just curious if anyone has this and your opinion on them.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OOTP Baseball 19

Post by sportdan30 »

I was a huge fan of Microleague Baseball. I used to input the daily stats for my beloved Cardinals that I got from the daily newspaper. Later on, we'd have a league with friends that was always a good time.

But that's not your question. This is definitely heads and shoulders better than Microleague Baseball, and of course the animations are better. With that said, it's a starting point for this dev team. You can definitely tell there's only a number animations that is being utilized. It still looks quite good, but it can be better. The stadiums are fairly detailed. I have a hard time following the action and reading the text. I would love audio one day so you could simply concentrate on the game play. You can play the game similarly to M.L.B. and it's certainly my preference rather than simming.

Now, I've only played a few games since The Show came out. I need to get back to this game of course. The interface looks much nicer and overall it's a nice looking game. It's a little overwhelming in terms of being a GM as I don't always understand all the nuances of the job.

This is probably the best sports text sim out there. If you're a pretty big baseball fan, I don't see what's not to love. For me, I'll play The Show 9 times out of 10, but that's just my personal preference.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Did you ever play Ernie Harwell's APBA Baseball? another text sim where he did the entire broadcast and you could listen to him call the game.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Did you ever play Ernie Harwell's APBA Baseball? another text sim where he did the entire broadcast and you could listen to him call the game.
I played APBA Baseball -- the board game, with dice -- religiously as a kid. I lived and loved that game and Strat-O-Matic Hockey.

Good memories.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I played in an APBA league back in the early 90's. It was on computer, but we had to mail the disk around to each team. You played your home games against the listing teams' AI, which had been set up by the team's owner. And by mail, I mean snail mail.

Never did get a chance to check out the Ernie Harwell stuff.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

OOTP 19 is good- but truth be told Im almost exclusively playing sports board games at this time. Loving history maker baseball as its a little different than start and apba.
Tony

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Animations are ok but not nearly as good as Football Manager. Yes, it's better than whatever those things were last year but it's not a reason to buy the game in my opinion.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MUTTS wrote:OOTP 19 is good- but truth be told Im almost exclusively playing sports board games at this time. Loving history maker baseball as its a little different than start and apba.
Tony
I just placed an order for APBA Golf Game last week, I wasn't even aware they were still in business. Of course nothing has shipped and no response to emails so maybe they aren't :D
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Appreciate the information guys, I think I will pass for now. OOTP has always been a little too micromanagement for me, I thought the animations might give me graphics and I could do a manage only season. I guess I will continue to look to the past.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:Did you ever play Ernie Harwell's APBA Baseball? another text sim where he did the entire broadcast and you could listen to him call the game.
Late reply. No, I never played that game but that game would have been ahead of its time in terms of presentation. I think from Microleague Baseball, I played a little bit of Earl Weaver, Hardball, High Heat, etc.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Any of you OOTP folks playing the Perfect Team mode? It's really enjoyable. For anyone unfamiliar, it's like Ultimate Team for OOTP. Games take place every 25 minutes. Games are all simmed but you can change your lineups and submit those changes at any time before your next game. Seasons start On Monday and playoffs conclude on Sunday. There's also relegation and promotion at the end of the season.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

OOTP 20 has mocap animation improvements so there should be another decent leap in the 3D.

I have 213 hours on record with OOTP 19, easily my most played Steam game to date. I'm in 2027 and still have not managed a World Series title with the Cardinals. Signing Harper was a huge mistake and left me strapped for cash for several years.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I'm looking forward to it. Perfect Team 2.0 will see some nice upgrades as well.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

MUTTS wrote:OOTP 19 is good- but truth be told Im almost exclusively playing sports board games at this time. Loving history maker baseball as its a little different than start and apba.
Tony
I am loving HMB, just started playing it last month.
-BK

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

bkrich83 wrote:
Tony
I am loving HMB, just started playing it last month.
You guys just made my day seeing HMB being mentioned on DSP. :)