Super Mega Baseball 2

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Super Mega Baseball 2

Post by Teal »

I can't talk about it explicitly yet, but I can tell you that, if you liked the first one, you're going to love the new one. I'm in the closed beta, and of course we're on lockdown, but man... Get ready... :D
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Super Mega Baseball 2

Post by sportdan30 »

Teal, you’re a damn tease man! But I get it. Can’t wait for this release

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

sportdan30 wrote:Teal, you’re a damn tease man! But I get it. Can’t wait for this release
I know. It's killing me not being able to talk about it...

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Woot! I applied, but didn't get an invite to the beta. :-(
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I just got an invite also, will give it a try. Luv the first game.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

My 9 year old played SMB 1 to death and is SO excited for 2, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they wouldn't release this on the Switch? It would make a killing on that system.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

This one should get the attention of any baseball fan, not just the younger crowd. I played SMB here and there, but never really could get past the goofy characters and models. This, I play multiple times per day. It's just that good.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

May 1st, 29.99.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Teal wrote:May 1st, 29.99.
Sold!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Great in depth video for those of us who weren't lucky to get in the beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cikfNqD0II

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

sportdan30 wrote:Great in depth video for those of us who weren't lucky to get in the beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cikfNqD0II
Damn, haven't played a baseball game in forever but that looks like it plays great.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Beta gameplay impressions from a big fan of the series. Includes a lot of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELg658mgbOI

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Holy crap, this is awesome! SMB2 will be May 2018 Games with Gold.Gonna get a huge user base with this approach. https://www.reddit.com/r/SuperMegaBaseb ... it-android

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Teal wrote:Holy crap, this is awesome! SMB2 will be May 2018 Games with Gold.Gonna get a huge user base with this approach. https://www.reddit.com/r/SuperMegaBaseb ... it-android
Nice!
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Alright, since they've announced the release date and all that, I'm gonna get into details a bit. The YouTube video above is correct in that it feels almost exactly like the first game, but they've managed to improve on the system in a great many ways and make it better. The fielding, batting, and pitching are all smooth as butter, there's more speed to the pitches, and more variety in what the ball does off the bat. We only got to play one stadium in the beta, but even those are much improved, with more animated crowds, that even sport your customized looks. Speaking of customization, that's probably my favorite new thing along with the more realistic player models. On the Reddit feed, people have shared their created MLB teams, and most are spot on. You can edit the player models individually with all sorts of things, including the different body styles and male/female characters, rename them, hair, beards, everything. I created the Braves, and it's indistinguishable from the actual logos and uniforms. I can't tell you how stoked I am for this thing finally arriving. It's deep enough to be a proper baseball game, yet the kind of pick up and play that I've gravitated toward in my sports games recently, that I can play with my nine year old daughter, and both of us enjoy. If you had any enjoyment at all with the first, you'll love this one. Plus, now I can play y'all online. And it'll be free with games with gold in May!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Well apparently I got a beta invite on April 5th and didn't realize it until yesterday. I downloaded and played a couple of games. Feels a lot like the original but looks better and the game play is buttery smooth. It looks like there is a lot of customization in it to where you could do whatever you want with it. Good fun pick up and play baseball game but still doesn't give me the excitement or baseball feel that I get from the Show.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yup, it's free for XBL Gold members. I used a 2 day code and was able to download it. I'm sure it'll expire in 2 days but it'll give me a chance to demo it.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Played it last night for a bit. It’s a fun pick up and play game. Definitely better than the first also. I don’t know how much I’ll play it since I have The Show but it’s a no brained for XBox owners.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Really looking forward to playing tonight. I’m actually growing tired of The Show so I’m hoping this rejuvenated my love for arcade baseball. By all accounts, it looks like it does!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Honestly, this is much, much more fun to play than The Show. This just highlights how poor many of the controls in The Show really are. SMB2 does have the advantage of being able to just focus on gameplay and not trying to recreate real life abilities and such. But on the field, the game plays pretty realistic, and the controls are so dialed in that the game is decided on execution and strategy, as opposed to which team let the most balls get by their OF for triples and inside the park HRs.

I'll probably still play The Show some, as I do like real players and such, but there has never been a baseball game that played as well online as SMB2 does. It's outstanding.

Won my first online game 4-3 last night with a HR in the top of the 5th and a my closer slamming the door shut with three K's in the bottom half.

The batter/pitcher battle is so much more intense online. Falling behind in the count is scary, for either side. I hit two HRs in the game. One was with a contact swing, but the one in the 5th to win was a power swing. Risk/Reward is really well done in the mechanics.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Nice impressions Aristo.

I still enjoy The Show and will play the MLB Live feature but getting through a 162 game season is just not in the cards anymore. Hope they one day implement being able to take over a season from a MLB Live game, similar to Madden.

While The Show offers a number of different pitching interfaces, I've simply grown bored of each one. I can't say the same thing for the pitching interface in SMB. It's so simple but feels right.

I see that SMB offers a ton of edits so I'm planning on using the names from Bases Loaded.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Never played the Show, but I know that I had gotten tired of cumbersome sports sims. I adore SMB2. I've created the Braves and the Cubbies so far (haven't named the Cubs roster yet), but there's just a ton of depth that is hidden in a deceptively fun game of baseball here. RBI is barebones, with little to no chess at the plate. There's a real sense of dread getting behind the count, as Aristo says. If I can figure out how to upload captures from XBL, I'll show you what I've done with the team editor. It's fun stuff.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

SMB2 seems to be a little bit harder than SMB. I set Ego to 40 and it definitely gets tough as the AI is more patient at the plate, doesn't swing at bad pitches and makes you pay for bad mistakes. As has been noted, the pitching interface feels right, no gimmicks just select and aim your pitch and hope for the best.

...and you can't beat FREE

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Would like to see Metalhead one day add commentary to the game. I can imagine it getting old like all sports games, but it could add more life to an already fun game. Something a little quirky but exciting all the same.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

How do I capture and upload pictures from my XBL captures on here?