Sea of Thieves

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Sea of Thieves

Post by Teal »

Okay. I only played about 20 minutes of the open beta, I have no idea what I'm doing, and...I absolutely love this thing. The graphics, especially on the water, are really gorgeous. I've killed a few skeletons, shot a cannon, danced to my crew mates accordion playing, slept on the deck, and watched a sunrise from the crows nest while a thunderstorm lit up in the distance. Wasn't even much on the radar. It is now.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sea of Thieves

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Okay. I only played about 20 minutes of the open beta, I have no idea what I'm doing, and...I absolutely love this thing. The graphics, especially on the water, are really gorgeous. I've killed a few skeletons, shot a cannon, danced to my crew mates accordion playing, slept on the deck, and watched a sunrise from the crows nest while a thunderstorm lit up in the distance. Wasn't even much on the radar. It is now.
I felt the same way Jason but then the “what else is there" feeling set in. The game does have a "chill factor" to it and it is beautiful. All things considered, there wasn’t much action. Maybe that was because the world wasn’t too populated during the betas. I need to see more if I am going to purchase. Far Cry 5 has jumped up my list and it arrives 3/27. Add in MLB The Show dropping 3/23 and you have the recipe for Sea of Thieves...drifting out to sea. Time will tell.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Teal wrote:Okay. I only played about 20 minutes of the open beta, I have no idea what I'm doing, and...I absolutely love this thing. The graphics, especially on the water, are really gorgeous. I've killed a few skeletons, shot a cannon, danced to my crew mates accordion playing, slept on the deck, and watched a sunrise from the crows nest while a thunderstorm lit up in the distance. Wasn't even much on the radar. It is now.
I felt the same way Jason but then the “what else is there" feeling set in. The game does have a "chill factor" to it and it is beautiful. All things considered, there wasn’t much action. Maybe that was because the world wasn’t too populated during the betas. I need to see more if I am going to purchase. Far Cry 5 has jumped up my list and it arrives 3/27. Add in MLB The Show dropping 3/23 and you have the recipe for Sea of Thieves...drifting out to sea. Time will tell.
I can certainly see all that. FC5 is up on my list now too, so that matters.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Looking forward to Sea of Thieves and will play it since it will be on Game Pass on Day One. Far Cry 5 does look like tons of fun!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I will probably do the XB Game Pass 14 day trial so I can give Sea of Thieves a good luck. Hopefully its got some more depth than the betas.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'll give it a shot mainly because it is different and not the 26th shooter to come out this month. XB needs some different types of games.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I tried to play Sunday, only to find that the beta was over. My reaction to this reality let me know that I am probably getting this game. If there's not a lot of action (which I doubt), it's still something that I put in hours just sailing around and exploring. Great chill out game. The sea is calling me... :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:I tried to play Sunday, only to find that the beta was over. My reaction to this reality let me know that I am probably getting this game. If there's not a lot of action (which I doubt), it's still something that I put in hours just sailing around and exploring. Great chill out game. The sea is calling me... :lol:
This. ;) I'm with you.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I didn't play the beta, so I'm only judging based on gameplay videos and previews I've read. But this game looks to me like a cross of Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Sunset Overdrive. I thought both of those games were somewhat fun but overrated, so I think I'm passing.

Having WAY too much fun with Isle of Man TT, and I'm overdue to dig into Elite Dangerous and the copy of Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain I just bought.

Enjoy the high seas, fellas. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It was a lot of fun with my wife and daughter sailing a Galleon around. Having to worry about individual mast sail furls and angles (3 masts on that beast), as well as navigating while the person steering (usually me) can't see where we're going...it required a lot of team work. Just pulling into port was fun, and we really got into it.

That being said, I can see it getting old quick.

I liked the treasure hunting and repairing the ships. Even getting ganked didn't bother me too much. Most players would just shoot on sight, which also gets old, but I got one of them back. They sank our Sloop (when you're in a sloop, you're a target. Galleons are generally avoided by small teams) while we were on the island, and then this guy came on shore to hunt the owner down.

Well, I killed him, and then there's about a 30 second delay before he can respawn. So I ran down the pier, hopped on his ship, pulled the anchor, set sails to full and angled them to catch the wind, and turned his ship out to see. It started hauling ass, so I hopped off and swam back to shore. I watched him paddle furiously after his ship, unable to catch it. No idea what happened to him, but it was sort of a funny end to a gank story, watching this cartoon character flail wildly out to sea, chasing his runaway sloop. I felt great.

But then there was a time where we got no gold for turning in like 7 chests. It seems like the whole game is just inventing your own stuff, a la Minecraft. There's no story, nothing other than "sail out, grind loot and equipment, try and look awesome and show off". That sort of things won't have legs, I don't think. I'm playing through Assassin's Creed Origins AGAIN with the DLC coming soon, and while this seems like a fun co-op diversion, I definitely think it will be a fairly small (and very dedicated) player base in the long haul, once the honeymoon wears off.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:I tried to play Sunday, only to find that the beta was over. My reaction to this reality let me know that I am probably getting this game. If there's not a lot of action (which I doubt), it's still something that I put in hours just sailing around and exploring. Great chill out game. The sea is calling me... :lol:
I’ll be using the 14 day free trial of the Xbox Gamers pass. A solid 2 weeks of the game should be a good indication of whether its a keeper. I will say this, there is more to the game than what was in the beta. The videos from Gamespot and the developer below explains a lot of what is to come. Look for me Jason :D

http://www.ign.com/videos/2018/03/09/se ... final-beta
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'll probably start with the 14 day trial too, just to make sure... :wink:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Picking this one up to mess around with until MLB and Far Cry arrive. Looks interesting

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

The beta looked nice and the sailing felt authentic, but it was missing the fun factor for me. Most of the game play felt tedious and cumbersome. I'm going to skip this one.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So downloading now and it is 3 gigs bigger on my PC then on my XB1. Wonder why?
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just downloaded....servers are currently down :(
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Servers are up!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Servers are up!
Well, I got in but I can’t get out to sea. Just keeps spinning on the “Searching the seas” screen. :x
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Holy s***, what a blast I had tonight!! I mean really, Bill and I had a ton of experiences with this thing I've never had in a videogame. The thunderstorm that threatened to sink our ship as we frantically patched ever increasing holes and bailed water that was filling up the bottom two decks, the exhilaration of getting our treasure chests on land and sold before another pirate ship started blasting the ship to pieces, the terror and joy as a kraken came up from the depths and grabbed me in a tentacle and thrashed me about way up high over the ship...holy crap, this damn game rocks.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Holy s***, what a blast I had tonight!! I mean really, Bill and I had a ton of experiences with this thing I've never had in a videogame. The thunderstorm that threatened to sink our ship as we frantically patched ever increasing holes and bailed water that was filling up the bottom two decks, the exhilaration of getting our treasure chests on land and sold before another pirate ship started blasting the ship to pieces, the terror and joy as a kraken came up from the depths and grabbed me in a tentacle and thrashed me about way up high over the ship...holy crap, this damn game rocks.
That sure as hell was fun! Definitely more in the final release than the beta. Rogue waves, shark attacks, and the Kraken. Great stuff!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Keep in mind I never tried the beta. Here was my experience last night.

Join game in a sloop and to sale alone since I don't know how to play.
Stare at the loading screen searching the seas or whatever it says
Finally get in, spawn on an island. Run around talk to people, get voyages.
No ship to be found, see mermaid swim out hit X to return to ship. He teleports me back to the island.
Rinse repeat above 6 times.
Finally see a ship off shore just sitting there, try to swim out. Shark kills me.
Go to ship of the dead, respawn on ISLAND
Try mermaid thing again, respawns me on ISLAND
Scuttle ship, nothing happens.
Leave game
Try to join a new game get loading screen for 15 minutes.
SHUT IT OFF AND WALK AWAY.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Even with the enjoyment of yesterday’s adventures I still worry about the ‘rinse repeat’ potential that this game has. Perhaps there is more in store. Time will tell.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So did i do something wrong or was that a glitch?
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

No ship to be found doesn't sound right, no. The ship is always off the pier where you spawn.

If it wasn't there, then somebody blew it up (which would give you the mermaid to port to your ship)...but you'd typically hear the cannon fire unless you were really engrossed in talking to NPCs or just had no idea it was YOUR ship they were blowing up.

Trying to get into the game was a disaster, so I've only been able to sail and complete a few voyages. I sent you a party invite last night but I think it was right as you were logging off, not sure.

I know myself, my wife, and my daughter are all intending to play it tonight. If you want to try to be a 4th on a galleon, we'll have an extra spot, Dan.

The game is ONLY really fun with other people, and I'll say it again (and echo Diablo's comments)...I have no idea how long the fun will last, but I've had fun with it in the beta, and the couple of missions I ran in the live version.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I was on the PC version last night so I didn't see an invite, I don't even know if that is possible. My kids have taken over the 4k TV which my main Xbox is on so I barely get on that. I would like to try and play though, any idea of time?

Someone told me the sloop is on the other end of the island. i walked and swam around that island several times and saw nothing. Must of been a glitch.
Follow Me on: