The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by 10spro »

JOZ wrote:Oh, and have fun on the 10th hole of the final round in this weekend's tournament guys :evil:
Completely forgot about your warning, and was fooled with the maximum allowed. Frustrating hole for sure in an otherwise fine course. :evil: When you’re an inch way from the hole you should not roll down 10 ft, come on...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
JOZ wrote:Oh, and have fun on the 10th hole of the final round in this weekend's tournament guys :evil:
Completely forgot about your warning, and was fooled with the maximum allowed. Frustrating hole for sure in an otherwise fine course. :evil: When you’re an inch way from the hole you should not roll down 10 ft, come on...
I remembered his warning, dropped a lofted approach shot in a good 18 feet short of the hole, and watched in horror as it rolled 32 feet past the hole, after brushing the edge of the hole. Vader had a putt that was within a foot from where my ball was and I watched it as he played his. He missed the hole on the low side because there was an inconspicuously big break to the left about three feet from the hole. His putt came to rest in a little "pocket" about a foot past the hole.

Having seen that last second break to the left on Vader's putt, I played mine a wee bit further out to the right. I didn't think about the fact that my adjustment was going to present a slightly more uphill putt for me. I liked the putt when it left the club because it started out at what appeared to be the same speed as Vader's. I took a deep gulp when the ball came to rest, less than a foot from the hole and right on line, only to tumble all the way back down to from whence it came, 32 feet away.

Meanwhile, Vader was tapping in his < 1 footer in for par, while I was preparing my bogey putt attempt from exactly the same spot as my previous 8O To my right, Jozarus was playing see-saw with the green, as I saw him go back and forth twice. I made myself miss my next putt in the same manner that Vader's had earlier. I knew risking making the putt could put me right back where I was. I managed to hit the identical putt to Vader's, and sure 'nuff, it wound up in exactly that same little 'safe' pocket in the green that he'd found earlier.

I was elated to walk away from that hole with anything less than a triple! And to think, that was on medium speed greens!? I wish I could go back over all four rounds of the Traveler's this past week to see if they had a pin placement remotely close to this one in round 4. That was absurd :x
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Yep, and that was the closest I've come to rage quitting without doing it. :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote: I was elated to walk away from that hole with anything less than a triple! And to think, that was on medium speed greens!? I wish I could go back over all four rounds of the Traveler's this past week to see if they had a pin placement remotely close to this one in round 4. That was absurd :x
Even if that was an accurate pin position, you wouldn't see the same issues IRL because real life doesn't have the insane physics of this game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

And.......rage quit. Did elevation on the greens even matter on that course? Apparently 9 inches uphill on a 9 ft putt doesn't. Putting physics on this game are batshit crazy sometimes.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:And.......rage quit. Did elevation on the greens even matter on that course? Apparently 9 inches uphill on a 9 ft putt doesn't. Putting physics on this game are batshit crazy sometimes.
I take it that you rage quite at some point while playing the 5th hole? I was playing with Vader's ghost ball, and I saw how he played it, so I cowered under a slinked away with a par... if you didn't keep your ball on that upper tier, you were dead meat, from what I could see. This was a LiDAR course that's supposedly got very accurate topography. I did see some slopes on both 5 and 6 that had me scratching my head.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Somewhere around there. I know I hit the first part 5 in two and proceeded to bogey. I was about to 4 putt (at least) another hole when I quit. I didn't feel like I was putting hard at all, but the ball seem to be shooting off my putter like a cannon. I just can't get putting down for the life of me.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Somewhere around there. I know I hit the first part 5 in two and proceeded to bogey. I was about to 4 putt (at least) another hole when I quit. I didn't feel like I was putting hard at all, but the ball seem to be shooting off my putter like a cannon. I just can't get putting down for the life of me.
The Royal Hague G&CC had firm, fast greens so that contributed to what you were seeing. I had played a nine hole practice round there earlier in the day, so I had an idea of how fast the greens were. I had a one stroke lead on Vader, as shown on the mini scoring status display in the upper left corner which is current. Unfortunately, I accidentally looked at the main leaderboard after 17, and I could see that Vader bogeyed the 18th. That took a lot of the drama out of the hole, but I figured, if he bogeyed it, then certainly I was capable of bogeying it.

I watched his 15 footish birdie putt miss just on the low side of the hole, and then fall off and get collected by a nasty slope that took his birdie putt attempt off the green. He got down in two from there, but I was able to leak my 10 foot birdie putt into the hole, which fortunately was slightly uphill.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So story on green speed. I played a course this weekend where the greens were a 14 on the Stimpmeter. Just for comparison the typical PGA Green speed each week is around 12. It can range anywhere from 8 or 9 up to 13 in majors. Occasionally you will see a 14 at least from my research.

In my personal opinion a course does this to up it's challenge rating when the layout is easy. I hit every green in regulation which I seldom do. There was maybe a 5 foot patch of flat surface on these greens the rest had peaks and valleys. I pared the first hole thanks to my approach being 18 inches from the cup. I birdies the next by making a 30 foot putt, that honestly when I hit it thought would be 20 feet short.

On the 3rd hole I had a 10 foot slightly downhill put for par. I barely tapped it but pushed it a bit. It missed the hole, proceeded to roll 35 feet by and off the green and then down into the fairway about 5 yards. Needless to say I 4 putted that green and several others on this course.

I play a lot of golf, I've never played a course with worse tricked up greens. That said it got me thinking maybe the physics aren't so much out of whack but that their fast greens are probably set at a 14 and I bet no one has ever hit a putt on greens that fast. Then throw in 90% of the courses are set to fast and that's what you get.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I was actually thinking last night that most of my issues when putting are when the greens are set to fast. I know I have bitched about the game before, but I know it more has to do with the course designers trying to artificially up the difficulty by setting up fast greens and ridiculous breaks

With all that being said, I know it's like that for everybody and I just have to get better. Love the game and I hope they look at that for the next version.

Speaking of which, has anybody heard anything?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Guys, please welcome "Flightwhite24" to the DSP-Digital Sportspage Society. He submitted his DigitalSportspage Forum membership request today and I've alerted Jared of his pending registration. I know Flightwhite24 from the Operations Sports forum and he will be a valuable addition to our forum and our Society. You may have noticed his participation in the Travelers tournament this past weekend, but at that time he was unaware of the requirement to be a member of the DSP Forum to be in the DSP Society. Now that this has been remedied, he's a member in good standing.

UPDATE: Jared has just confirmed with me that Flightwhite24 has been confirmed as a member of Digital Sportspage forum. Welcome Flightwhite24 and jump on in here!

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Got my first ace on the 6th hole today. Pretty awesome considering I had almost rage quit again over the 3rd hole quad bogey. Went back and forth on the green, then forgot to change to a chip shot and hit a full lob wedge pass the green. :oops: Came back to shoot a pretty decent round, but I noticed Vader was like -6 under through eight holes when I was done :lol:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Got my first ace on the 6th hole today. Pretty awesome considering I had almost rage quit again over the 3rd hole quad bogey. Went back and forth on the green, then forgot to change to a chip shot and hit a full lob wedge pass the green. :oops: Came back to shoot a pretty decent round, but I noticed Vader was like -6 under through eight holes when I was done :lol:
I doubled the 3rd myself. Wound up with 3 bogeys and a double on this course. My putting confidence is AOL right now. It was an interesting course though.

That was a heck of a recovery on your part Joz!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

We've had two top tier winning performances in the last two Dailies of the DSP Society. Dbdynsty25 posted a -12 score to beat Jozarus by two shots at Peavine Palms and Vader29 carded a -10 at Portrush (2019 Open), once again edging Joz by three shots. Peavine Palms somehow left me with a lot of long birdie putts, and made me play timidly. Portrush looked innocent, especially off the Green Tees (not by design, BTW), but I couldn't figure the greens out to save my neck.

I 3-putted the first hole from 16 feet, after hitting a weak ass par putt so weakly that it broke 3 feet to the right and finish 5 feet below the hole. I rimmed in the bogey putt. I then proceeded to 4-putt the 3rd green from 32 feet, after running my birdie putt, 81 feet past the hole and in the fairway :oops: I wound up with a double bogey and 4 bogeys on that course. I enjoyed it though, but I now wonder if I wouldn't have played it better from the tips!?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

"The TRUTH" is back in the field this week at Detroit... we'd all better be ready to up our game! This course has a really good tournament atmosphere and provides a good challenge.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

The greens this weekend. Ugh! When Vader isn't in the double digits after 1 or 2 rounds, you KNOW it's a tough course...

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:The greens this weekend. Ugh! When Vader isn't in the double digits after 1 or 2 rounds, you KNOW it's a tough course...
Yep those were the most frustrating greens I've played in a 4 rounder yet. They weren't tricked up greens or anything cheap, was just hard to get a consistent feel for the speed and break on them, really tough course.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Actually good to hear that everyone thought the greens were tough. I just figured it was my sucky putting. :D

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

J_Cauthen wrote:"The TRUTH" is back in the field this week at Detroit... we'd all better be ready to up our game! This course has a really good tournament atmosphere and provides a good challenge.
Ha, I wish! I jump back on occasionally to see if the feel has changed on master clubs. I still feel like it has random crap to make you have miss hits or something. I can have what to me feels like the same swing and I get different results a lot. It just feels like I’m not controlling it and I just can’t get into it.

And I’ve had about 4 putts where the ball goes diagonally off the face of the putter. Drives me crazy. These greens are tough too.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

TheTruth wrote:Ha, I wish! I jump back on occasionally to see if the feel has changed on master clubs. I still feel like it has random crap to make you have miss hits or something. I can have what to me feels like the same swing and I get different results a lot. It just feels like I’m not controlling it and I just can’t get into it.

And I’ve had about 4 putts where the ball goes diagonally off the face of the putter. Drives me crazy. These greens are tough too.
I tried getting back on board with the Master clubs after round 1. I shot even par both days, but I'll bet I had less than 20% of my shots go with "perfect/perfect" tempo. I did see a few of the seemingly random "Very Fast" downswing tempos that are usually fatal.

I played round 3 under radically different conditions. I left after round 2 for a family vacation and the house which we've rented ostensibly has wireless internet service. I brought my XBox One X and figured I'd get a few founds of TGC 2019 in while I was here... I've done this in years past without issue at the same beach. Well, at this particular spot, the internet connection comes and goes. It's to the point where it's actually connected less than 50% of the time, at various intervals and durations.

I'm also having to play on a 2012 vintage Vizio 42" LCD display without a game mode, and I'm not used to the 60 to 70ms input lag it has, compared to the 17ms input lag of my 55" TCL 55R617 @ 1080p. It's a different game all of the sudden. Anyway, I finally gave up trying to play the final round of this tournament after it took me 3 or mores sessions, interrupted by internet service disruptions of various periods. I couldn't even connect to HB Servers for round 4, even though the XBox One X was reportedly "connected" in its network condition report.

I wasn't going to challenge in this tournament though. I was -3 after 54 holes. If I had been able to connect, I was going back to the Pro clubs... I'd had enough of Master club tempo requirements, and a 60 ms input lag as I could tolerate!

This experience is going to really make me appreciate the internet connection quality I have at home, as well as what a 17ms input lag means to an analog thumbstick swing golf game. I miss seeing the game on a 4K HDR OLED display screen more than I thought I would. I'm going to drop down on my hands and knees and worship it when I get home! ;D

I *think* I managed to schedule a Daily for today between service disruptions. Did 10spro hold on for the win here? I'll try to connect later today... meanwhile, that 2 1/2 surf is calling my name at Sunset Beach, NC 8)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I remembered asking Vader during our weekend skinz game what he shot for the last round when he responded: ‘You have to finish your play to find out’. After that statement I knew he probably shot to the moon and back on what we all agreed was a tough tournament. The reason why I asked him was because I was in uncharted territory leading him by two strokes after three rounds.

Sure enough, he shot like a -7 or something like that on the final round whereas I just couldn’t buy a birdie. I thought I would choke eventually, but give Vader all the credit scoring that low on the 4th round. I played well the whole tournament but couldn’t convert where it mattered the most.

So still, screw you Vader... :twisted:

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

10spro wrote:I remembered asking Vader during our weekend skinz game what he shot for the last round when he responded: ‘You have to finish your play to find out’. After that statement I knew he probably shot to the moon and back on what we all agreed was a tough tournament. The reason why I asked him was because I was in uncharted territory leading him by two strokes after three rounds.
Next time you play with him ask him how he consistently scores such low rounds in our tournaments (other than playing a lot). :wink: :?:

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MERACE wrote:
10spro wrote:I remembered asking Vader during our weekend skinz game what he shot for the last round when he responded: ‘You have to finish your play to find out’. After that statement I knew he probably shot to the moon and back on what we all agreed was a tough tournament. The reason why I asked him was because I was in uncharted territory leading him by two strokes after three rounds.
Next time you play with him ask him how he consistently scores such low rounds in our tournaments (other than playing a lot). :wink: :?:

-MERACE
It’s called the Vader bounce.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MERACE wrote:

-MERACE
It’s called the Vader bounce.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I just don't get the greens these guys make. Good courses ruined by ridiculous greens.