The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by JOZ »

No thanks Bay Hill. That was a joke.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:No thanks Bay Hill. That was a joke.
Golf is a strange, cruel game Joz. I went from shooting an 82 at Cog Hill #4, two nights ago, to a 66 in round one at Bay Hill this evening. Here over the las 7 or 8 months, I've been happy just to break par on many courses. I don't know where this 66 came from tonight, and I was even using Master clubs!?

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

One of those rounds I guess. Nothing went right or made sense, so I was done. :D

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I decided to end the season after the major championship at Sawgrass this past weekend. We would have hit the event limit this week and ended the season at an awkward point. The new season started Monday, as Joz sets out to defend his title as reigning DSP Society Champion. Joz is the most intrepid putter I've evern played a round with... I play with his ghost quite often and even when I get a hint of the line from watching his putts, I still can't execute them with anywhere near the regularity he drains them. And Joz... how many hole-out from the fairway eagles do you average a week? I know I'm astonished at how many times I see you hole approach shots out 8O

I'm still enjoying playing this game and in this Society. It's nice to have familiar names and stories out there in the playing field. I'm on a huge roller coaster ride with this game as far as my performance goes, but I still get a kick out of playing it, even when I royally suck! I've been flashing hot here on occasion and playing some rounds in a Daly-esque tirade :oops: But then I'll follow it up with a round like I had at Croisdaile Country Club yesterday.

NOTE: Below is the average score of each player for the season. I'll post the points board later when I get a chance.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I have definitely came along way on my putting from when the game first come out. I felt I was awful then, and I am really not sure what changed besides just getting used to the game I guess. Still don't feel I am close to what Vader did with the putter. Also still have the moments where the green felels like it has been sprayed with Clark Griswold's spray he used on the sled.

I had more hole outs and aces this season then I had anytime before combined. Weird too considering I feel like I was better at approach shots before I switched controllers this year.

Still enjoy playing the society and have noticed the courses seem to be getting more and more difficult. I am ready to move on to the next version of the game though. I am hopeful that will happen. I'm hoping for a much better single player experience to go along with the society.

And thanks for the work running this as well.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I decided to end the season after the major championship at Sawgrass this past weekend. We would have hit the event limit this week and ended the season at an awkward point. The new season started Monday, as Joz sets out to defend his title as reigning DSP Society Champion. Joz is the most intrepid putter I've evern played a round with... I play with his ghost quite often and even when I get a hint of the line from watching his putts, I still can't execute them with anywhere near the regularity he drains them. And Joz... how many hole-out from the fairway eagles do you average a week? I know I'm astonished at how many times I see you hole approach shots out 8O

I'm still enjoying playing this game and in this Society. It's nice to have familiar names and stories out there in the playing field. I'm on a huge roller coaster ride with this game as far as my performance goes, but I still get a kick out of playing it, even when I royally suck! I've been flashing hot here on occasion and playing some rounds in a Daly-esque tirade :oops: But then I'll follow it up with a round like I had at Croisdaile Country Club yesterday.

NOTE: Below is the average score of each player for the season. I'll post the points board later when I get a chance.

Hey I got a victory in the latest season!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:Hey I got a victory in the latest season!
Indeed you did and it will be forever seen as a step toward greater parity in the DSP Society. ESPN is already asking for rights for the recorded round of your tournament victory for an upcoming 30 for 30 :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I had the most up and down round I've ever had in TGC 2019 in yesterday's round at The Marshes at Gulfwater. I drowned a ball on each of the first three holes, double bogeying two of them and bogeying the other. I then played holes 4 through 13 in seven under par. At the 14th I put two balls in the water on my way to a quintuple bogey, put one in the drink on 15 for a double bogey. Another one in the drink on 16 for a bogey, followed by another two balls in the water for another quintuple bogey on 17. I holed out a chip on 18 to avoid another bogey :oops:

Oddly enough, I couldn't get any of my posts in the Society message board to pass the profanity filter after three attempts, even though the last one simply said. "Two Quintuple, three double bogeys, and a bogey... nothing I can post passes the prof. filter"... Yes, even after that I got the message that it didn't pass the profanity filter!? :?

On a positive note, I did have the longest drive of the tournament, at 349 yards :) I think it's time I go back to Pro clubs. Master clubs are dynamic, but they're a little too dynamic for someone having the tempo regulation problems I'm having right now. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to retire my Elite 2 controller and go back to my OG stock controller. I can regulate tempo more consistently with it, but my putting touch suffers with it a bit.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Must be the Master clubs John. You probably thought that I was teasing you when I said that I enjoyed the course then but I don’t think you had played it at that point yet. I went to the drinking fountain only once, one of those courses that definitely favored strategy first compared to the temptation of ripping it straight.

But the fairways were so narrow that I constantly kept saying to myself ‘Drive 4 show, Putt 4 dough’. Missed some easy putts too with no breaks at all but the key on this course was placement.

The wind was strong too so my personal strategy was to play it safe first. And trust me, my controller is not any better, I have no distance on my Drives as my sticks are as loose as ever from playing other sports games which also explains my inconsistency in the putting department.

So yeah, fighting against your controller besides the course du hour is part of the game. 8)

No events today?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Must be the Master clubs John. You probably thought that I was teasing you when I said that I enjoyed the course then but I don’t think you had played it at that point yet. I went to the drinking fountain only once, one of those courses that definitely favored strategy first compared to the temptation of ripping it straight.

But the fairways were so narrow that I constantly kept saying to myself ‘Drive 4 show, Putt 4 dough’. Missed some easy putts too with no breaks at all but the key on this course was placement.

The wind was strong too so my personal strategy was to play it safe first. And trust me, my controller is not any better, I have no distance on my Drives as my sticks are as loose as ever from playing other sports games which also explains my inconsistency in the putting department.

So yeah, fighting against your controller besides the course du hour is part of the game. 8)

No events today?
All good advice James... thanks for weighing in, an no, don't think I took your praise of the course wrong. I gave the course four stars and thought it was unique. I was -3 through 13 holes, so I was pretty happy at that point. I think I will go back to Pro clubs just to get my bearings back

I just posted a tournament 20 minutes ago. I failed to post it last night before midnight, and when I do that it locks me out from creating a new tournament until 4 AM... I just flat out forgot about doing it until late this afternoon. Today's a new ColinMafia links course that's very popular right now, Dundonald Links in Ayrshire, Scotland. I haven't played it yet, but it looks really slick.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I really liked Bushwater. Really would like that one to come back as a 2 rounder one weekend.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:I really liked Bushwater. Really would like that one to come back as a 2 rounder one weekend.
Yeah, we really outta do that now that the PGA TOUR is on hold. I've been trying to maintain Vader's tradition of playing the current week's PGA TOUR venue (where a playable version of the course is available) for our weekly tournament. That has less significance now though... I'll make it the venue for the 4/9 - 4-12 weekly. I'll make both rounds conditions and pin settings different from default, since we've already seen them once. I'll also make sure I take those Master clubs out of my bag for this one, in the interest of not feeding the fish too much surlyn :)

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Hey John,

How about adding some of Arctic Fury's courses in the mix too. :wink:

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:Hey John,

-MERACE
Sure, come to think of it... I haven't played his latest yet. How about I put that up for Monday, and how about an AF favorite for this week's 36 hole tournament. My favorite is Jupitor Ridge, but there's probably some more recent ones that are more widely popular. Any suggestions?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:Hey John,

I just added AF's Scarlet Inn - Germany as this week's 36 hole tournament. It's my second favorite of his behind Jupitor Ridge. The attention to detail in the village that surrounds this course is as impressive as the course itself!

I still want to do Jupitor Ridge on Monday. It has LiDAResque topography even though it was created in the days before the LiDAR tool was in existence!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

James, I saw you opt for an alternative route to either the 15th or 16th, I believe it was, off the tee. You went left into an adjoining fairway, which left you a lot more green between you and the hole. The hole's fairway required a more precise carry over a bunker with precious little green between it and the hole. So, monkey see monkey do, only in my case the monkey didn't exactly do... I pushed my drive just enough to catch the adjoining hole's fairway bunker, which left me a shot that I couldn't clear the lip and make it to the green from. I wound up making a bogey there, and fell of a tie with JOZ :( That's what I get for trying to emulate greatness! :D

Joz would have won even if I'd made par there though, as I failed to birdie the 18th from 12 feet. One thing that really steamed my gourd was a 4-putt bogey I had on the second par 5 hole. I had put the first putt, a 62 footer, 7 feet from the pin, and then friggen 3-putted from there... I had to drop the bogey putt from 5 feet to avoid a 5-putt green! :oops: :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, I think it was #15. I am playing on Pros and as I mentioned multiple times, my controller just doesn’t have the distance compared to most of you for whatever reasons. I would say it robs me of about 10 yards per drive so on a course like yesterday where I kept falling into different bunkers, I just kept looking at different alternatives. The last 8-9 holes trying to get par was my strategy after witnessing the disaster in trying to get out of those deep sand traps earlier.

On another note, I noticed a fantasy course called ‘Vader’s Helmet’. Haven’t played it yet but thought of our own Vader that it was perhaps his creation. I doubt it as I personally don’t play much fantasy courses but you may want to give it a try...

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I did enjoy Scaret Inn this week

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Yeah, I think it was #15. I am playing on Pros and as I mentioned multiple times, my controller just doesn’t have the distance compared to most of you for whatever reasons. I would say it robs me of about 10 yards per drive so on a course like yesterday where I kept falling into different bunkers, I just kept looking at different alternatives. The last 8-9 holes trying to get par was my strategy after witnessing the disaster in trying to get out of those deep sand traps earlier.

On another note, I noticed a fantasy course called ‘Vader’s Helmet’. Haven’t played it yet but thought of our own Vader that it was perhaps his creation. I doubt it as I personally don’t play much fantasy courses but you may want to give it a try...
Can you test the range of motion on your controller on your PC? I know on mine I can go in under control panel and test the controller response. I think you can also do this using the XBox Accessories App in Windows 10. I noticed your tee shots were coming up surprisingly short on occasion. I just chalked it up to you may have been laying up for a full shot. I know I'd rather leave myself a 94 yard shot with a full lob wedge, than an 78 yard pitch in this game.

As for Vader's Helmet, I've seen it promoted. It looks pretty creative, but it's pure fantasy. I'd be willing to try it for a single round if anyone else is interested... I generally don't go for fantasy courses, although I did have a fascination for Central Park on Tiger Woods 07 on the XBox.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:I did enjoy Scaret Inn this week
I like Scarlet Inn also, but I'd forgotten there was like three trees out in the middle of various fairways (like the 1st hole) I'd like to take a chain saw to! :twisted: :) I become more of a tourist than a golfer when I play this course, as my score reflects :oops:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Okay, we've got Jupitor Ridge (Arctic Fury's best course, IMHO) in today's daily, and at the behest of Zlax, I've got Vader's Helmet on tap for tomorrow. Guys that normally don't go for fantasy courses are giving this one a lot of praise. I'm hoping it might draw Vader out of his mini-retirement to claim the championship that's named after him! :)

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Okay, we've got Jupitor Ridge (Arctic Fury's best course, IMHO) in today's daily, and at the behest of Zlax, I've got Vader's Helmet on tap for tomorrow. Guys that normally don't go for fantasy courses are giving this one a lot of praise. I'm hoping it might draw Vader out of his mini-retirement to claim the championship that's named after him! :)
We could try some other courses also...this guy on YouTube plays way too many courses and most of them are fair but might have some crazy elevations

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChIzqoow ... _oA/videos

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Okay, we've got Jupitor Ridge (Arctic Fury's best course, IMHO) in today's daily, and at the behest of Zlax, I've got Vader's Helmet on tap for tomorrow. Guys that normally don't go for fantasy courses are giving this one a lot of praise. I'm hoping it might draw Vader out of his mini-retirement to claim the championship that's named after him! :)
I didn't mind Vader's Helmet. The elevation changes are just crazy and makes it fun!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:I didn't mind Vader's Helmet. The elevation changes are just crazy and makes it fun!
I had no idea that it had anywhere near that sort of elevation changes to it... there was one hole where the landing area was 324 feet below the tee! I don't have a clue how to factor that, and it showed in the form of a 3-iron carrying 300 yards into the water 8O I wound up putting 4 balls in the water because I couldn't factor the elevation changes properly.

The course didn't look as "Star Warsy" as I thought it would. A lot of the Star Wars objects required you to look out of your way to find. It was an interesting diversion, but I just didn't feel like I was playing golf all that much. It felt more like a physics lab experiment :?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It was definitely an interesting course. I didn't have too many problems w/ the elevation calculations and got a few good bounces.

I'll likely never play it again tho...fantasy courses are just too bizarre for me.