The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

I hate that I missed the Reston Hills Country Club tournament this past weekend. My Thanksgiving travel plans extended beyond my original plans and I was just too burned out to play when we got home last night. I'm trying to get a tournament set for today, but the search by text tool isn't working properly and I can't get any courses to come up. I'll keep plugging till I get it. It's an interesting looking course called Surtsey Island Golf Club. Hopefully it will be posted later today.

BTW, those of you who've played this game with an Elite 2, do you stick with the Elite 2 once you have? I know with my Elite there was no going back, and now that it's broken I really struggle with the stock controller and tempo. I've also lost some feel in the putting game.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Okay, I was finally able to get today's tournament at Surtsey Island Golf Club set.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:Okay, I was finally able to get today's tournament at Surtsey Island Golf Club set.
Thanks for setting the tourneys. I don’t have an elite 2, still playing with my wonky LS/RS and trying to participate whenever I can. Will try to play the daily today but will be off town again til Friday.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Been getting back into this game...I just love how many different courses are in the game and relaxes me during my late night video game sessions.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:Been getting back into this game...I just love how many different courses are in the game and relaxes me during my late night video game sessions.
Good to see you back out there Zlax. I played with your and Joz's ghost balls today in round 1 at Twisted Island. Course has some sneaky tough holes. I thought Joz was becoming human there at one time, as he was +3 in his round. He wound up -6 for round one, so nice recovery Joz!

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Thanks John. Really like that course.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:Been getting back into this game...I just love how many different courses are in the game and relaxes me during my late night video game sessions.
Good to see you back out there Zlax. I played with your and Joz's ghost balls today in round 1 at Twisted Island. Course has some sneaky tough holes. I thought Joz was becoming human there at one time, as he was +3 in his round. He wound up -6 for round one, so nice recovery Joz!
Oh I hack it around

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Today's DSP Society tournament at Stonecutter GC (a FRIENDBOMBER LiDAR course, btw) will be the last of this current season, as we hit the 55 event limit today. I'll start a new season tomorrow morning that will get us through the end of the year. Vader, when do you want to sync back up with the PGA TOUR schedule? We might want to start a new season once we do...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Messed up the settings for the 4 day tournament that should have ended tonight, such that it ran through last night. I set up a new 36 hole tournament that will run today and end Monday night at Fisheye Bay. I'm reading a lot of good reports on it, but haven't played it myself.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Damn 10s, you lit it up on Ballyowen today. Nice round!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JOZ wrote:Damn 10s, you lit it up on Ballyowen today. Nice round!
Got lucky with a couple of eagle pitches from the rough on par 5’s and putted well.

Thanks!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Got lucky with a couple of eagle pitches from the rough on par 5’s and putted well.

Thanks!
Dang it... I freakin' fell asleep after that enthralling Orange Bowl game ( :wink: ) last night and didn't get my round in. I really wanted to play this course after reading all the praise for it. I'll create a round and play against you guys ghost balls from last night's round and post my score here, just to give me some added sense of significance for the round as I play it 8)

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
10spro wrote:

Thanks!
Dang it... I freakin' fell asleep after that enthralling Orange Bowl game ( :wink: ) last night and didn't get my round in. I really wanted to play this course after reading all the praise for it. I'll create a round and play against you guys ghost balls from last night's round and post my score here, just to give me some added sense of significance for the round as I play it 8)
It was a good course....I missed my putts so if you want some crappy golf, add me

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote: It was a good course....I missed my putts so if you want some crappy golf, add me
You're right, this was a good course, surprisingly good in fact. We had a decent turnout for this one so I couldn't get everyone's ghost ball in my foursome. Joz and I tied for second at -8 in my foursome, but 10spro and his four freakin' eagles and -14 total left the rest of the field in his dust!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I set a 36 hole tournament to run for the next four days at friendBOMBER's newest LiDAR course, Oconomowoc Golf Club today, but I accidentally hit the "Done" button before I was really done. The tournament, unfortunately, will play from the shortest tees, using default conditions and the same pin settings both rounds, under the same weather conditions. The course is short even off the black tees (6,500 yards) but plays to something like 5,430 yards off the red tees... it might get kinda boring, but if you want to help your scoring average, you might want to play this tournament :)

I apologize for not checking my work before hitting that button, but once you do, there's no turning back. friendBOMBER's courses are always a must-play, and this one looks to be no different in the LiDAR family.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

J_Cauthen wrote:I set a 36 hole tournament to run for the next four days at friendBOMBER's newest LiDAR course, Oconomowoc Golf Club today, but I accidentally hit the "Done" button before I was really done. The tournament, unfortunately, will play from the shortest tees, using default conditions and the same pin settings both rounds, under the same weather conditions. The course is short even off the black tees (6,500 yards) but plays to something like 5,430 yards off the red tees... it might get kinda boring, but if you want to help your scoring average, you might want to play this tournament :)

I apologize for not checking my work before hitting that button, but once you do, there's no turning back. friendBOMBER's courses are always a must-play, and this one looks to be no different in the LiDAR family.
Sounds like I need to give this one a shot! Thanks!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Today's tournament at Rocky Fork Ridge might be one worth playing. The course is from two of TGC's most talented designers, who publish together as "VctryLnSprts". It's getting a lot of praise from some of the game's harshest critics.

I've started the push towards following the PGA Tour schedule for the rest of the season with this weekend's 72 hole tournament at Waialea Country Club. It launches tomorrow and runs through Monday morning.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:Sounds like I need to give this one a shot! Thanks!
Don, I'm gettin' old... I was playing the final round around the breaks in the action of the NFL playoff games, and wound up falling asleep with 5 holes to play :oops: :lol: It was an easy track, as my 18 under score through the last hole played would attest. Joz wound up winning it at 23 under. It was a very nice course, but it was completely neutered under the default conditions under which we played it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I finally bought an Elite 2 controller last week and played with it in default settings until today. I have found a setup that works considerably better for me than default (which on the Elite 2 is like the stock XBox One controller). I changed the swing stick (which is the left stick for me) tension to 2 (the middle setting) and I went with the "Instant" Sensitivity curve and wound up getting the most consistent "tempo" results by moving the curve response slider 2 clicks to the left of default.

This causes the club to respond quicker to your backswing initiation, but once you're 15 to 20% of the way into the swing it evens out and feels normal from there on out. It's helping me a good bit with chipping as well. I'm getting much more consistent response there. I'd guess I was getting "perfect/perfect" tempo about 30% of the time using my 'truest' stock XBox One controller, whereas now with the settings above it's more like 50 to 60% of the time.

The middle level stick tension on the swing stick is allowing me to track the swing path better with greater fidelity, but I'd say it hurts my putting sensitivity just a bit. It's going to take a good bit of work for me to get around that, but my putting skills have eroded so much over the last half year or so that I'm willing to try something new.

I just love the quality feel and weight of the Elite 2. It's a little bit smaller than the Elite, but I've already adjusted to that. I do know I wouldn't want it any smaller though. I'm pleased with the Elite 2 in all the games with which I've tried it. It's helped me most in Rocket League, although Elite Dangerous isn't far behind.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats on your purchase John. Hope it can help you alleviate all the issues you had with the basic controller. You’ll need that extra boost when you see the putting in this weekends’ event.

Speaking of basic controllers, mine is in such a poor state that I swear when I hit my Drives, it feels like I am just playing with the beginners club, at least distance wise that’s what I am getting.

For now, I rather put that extra cash into the next Xbox personally, looking forward to hear more on your impressions.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Congrats on your purchase John. Hope it can help you alleviate all the issues you had with the basic controller. You’ll need that extra boost when you see the putting in this weekends’ event.

Speaking of basic controllers, mine is in such a poor state that I swear when I hit my Drives, it feels like I am just playing with the beginners club, at least distance wise that’s what I am getting.

For now, I rather put that extra cash into the next Xbox personally, looking forward to hear more on your impressions.
I may go back to the #1 tension setting in light of your warning about PGA West. I find that with the stiffer tension of setting #2, I tend to overpower putts. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer to have my old Elite controller in the "Default" setting. I got the most consistent tempo results from it, plus it was a little bigger and felt better in my hands.

I've still got a ways to go in my TGC 2019 makeover though... right now I can't believe how many 3 to 5 foot putts I miss 8O Yet, I still enjoy playing this game :?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

(Deleted: Duplicate)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just finished the weekend tournament. Geez, that was mentally draining. Already struggling with my inconsistent controller, reading the greens was a struggle on its own. Once your putt would hissed by the hole, it seemed to have another second speed where your putt would just sail away. Whether by design or just the course being challenging, I managed to finish all rounds but was drained.

May I suggest the weekend tourneys to go back to the two day format as I literally forced myself to finish this one

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I would be good with going back to 2 rounds on the weekends as well.

Yea, the course this weekend was frustrating. You had to either make the putt or stop it right next to the hole, or it would be a tough one back. I had several 3 putts that first round. I did not favorite this one :D

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Mentally draining is a good way to describe it. I've lost count of the three putt greens I've had in only 36 holes so far. I've had more occasions where I hit my first putt off the green and actually had to chip my come backer. This is a tough course and I've read a number of people speaking about it being one of the harder courses in the game. It's borderline unfair in spots, IMO, but I always come away thinking I'm being overaggressive with my putts. I need to swallow my pride and try to two putt in more cases.

I'm all for going back to 36 holes for the Thursday through Sunday tournament. It seems that we get more participation when we do. I'll start that for next week's PGA event.