The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

Looks like we might have a hotly contested tournament going at Torrey Pines this week. The entire field is withing one stroke of each other after round one, or so it was when I completed my round late last night. I'd forgotten what fantastic rendition of Torrey Pines that this "2018" version turned out to be.

Keep in mind that this week's "weekly" tournament is 36 holes, but will span four days.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I picked up the PC versions since it was on sale. Really like it on the PC on my Ultrawide and being able to sit close. Wish tournaments were not system specific.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Looks like we might have a hotly contested tournament going at Torrey Pines this week. The entire field is withing one stroke of each other after round one, or so it was when I completed my round late last night. I'd forgotten what fantastic rendition of Torrey Pines that this "2018" version turned out to be.

Keep in mind that this week's "weekly" tournament is 36 holes, but will span four days.
Of course, I haven't got my rounds in!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I picked up the PC versions since it was on sale. Really like it on the PC on my Ultrawide and being able to sit close. Wish tournaments were not system specific.
Dan, what resolution do you wind up using in ultrawide? I've never had any experience with one, but I am curious about it. I also have to the PC version, which I'm able to play with vsync set to 60, and it really helps with the feel of the swing interface to be able to play at a steady 60 FPS. Do you lock vsync with TGC 2019?

I so wish HBS had given XBox One X owners the option to select a performance setting (1080p 60 FPS) versus the default 2160p 30 FPS we have. It messes up my timing going back and forth between the two versions where one is playing at double the frame rate of the other.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:Of course, I haven't got my rounds in!
No matter what 36 hole total you might wind up posting, I'm still capable of putting up a larger number, the way I'm playing lately. In our Wednesday tournament, I required 37 putts, including three misses of 3 feet, or less :oops: Part of it is stroke execution of it, but I have to attribute more of it to carelessness. :?

I'm playing the game now with Master clubs, as I've learned that I still can't be competitive with Pro clubs, and I enjoy the more dynamic nature of the Master clubs... I get to experiment with more varied trouble shot types :) Ironically, I'm enjoying the game now more than ever, as now, when I break par, I get more gratification out of it than a year ago, when I was averaging in the mid 60's. I'd like to think I can get back to that level though :wink:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Just finished playing today's Daily at "Man of Kent Tour"... WOW - what a course! It's dripping with character and is a sneaky tough golf course. It will lure you into attempting some shots you shouldn't attempt, or at least it did me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Just finished playing today's Daily at "Man of Kent Tour"... WOW - what a course! It's dripping with character and is a sneaky tough golf course. It will lure you into attempting some shots you shouldn't attempt, or at least it did me.
Agreed, what a great course.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I meant to emphasize that the 2nd hole, a 217 yard par 3, might be the scariest par 3 from the tee I've seen on a realistic course. It's got water on the left and behind the green and a boundary wall and a house to the right. I felt like I'd won a victory when I nestled a 4-iron up there about pin high, but I was almost 30 feet to the right of the pin, respecting the water to the left. If I had an all time 18 greatest holes TGC 2019 course, this hole would be on it!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I meant to emphasize that the 2nd hole, a 217 yard par 3, might be the scariest par 3 from the tee I've seen on a realistic course. It's got water on the left and behind the green and a boundary wall and a house to the right. I felt like I'd won a victory when I nestled a 4-iron up there about pin high, but I was almost 30 feet to the right of the pin, respecting the water to the left. If I had an all time 18 greatest holes TGC 2019 course, this hole would be on it!
I was purposely shorting it so I wouldn't go over and landed on that wooden path that circles the green and bounced over anyway!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I was purposely shorting it so I wouldn't go over and landed on that wooden path that circles the green and bounced over anyway!
Oh yeah, the wooden walkway around the green, I forgot about that. It's what gives the hole such a signature look, but it's also an imposing threat. I was playing Master clubs, so I lofted up a 4-iron to get a softer landing and more spin. I'm confident it would have wound up behind the green had I not. Your strategy worked out best in the long run... you bested me by 5 shots in this tournament.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Nice choice John. If only the servers didn’t screw me up on the 17th when I was about to hit a 3 iron I think and as I was completing my downswing it slowed my swing considerably ending myself in a heavy rough and only half the yardage of what was intended, ending up in a double. I was going at -4 at that point but the overall tranquility of the course and challenge made me forget about that hiccup.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Nice choice John. If only the servers didn’t screw me up on the 17th when I was about to hit a 3 iron I think and as I was completing my downswing it slowed my swing considerably ending myself in a heavy rough and only half the yardage of what was intended, ending up in a double. I was going at -4 at that point but the overall tranquility of the course and challenge made me forget about that hiccup.
I had something like that happen to me on a tee shot today on a par 4 hole. I wound up with a "Very Slow" downswing that put me in some heavy rough, 50 yards to the right of fairway. I just can't understand why the swing interface should be so server dependent. The hole is already loaded in memory. What can be happening during the swing that puts that much reliance on the server :? :?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Danimal wrote:I picked up the PC versions since it was on sale. Really like it on the PC on my Ultrawide and being able to sit close. Wish tournaments were not system specific.
Dan, what resolution do you wind up using in ultrawide? I've never had any experience with one, but I am curious about it. I also have to the PC version, which I'm able to play with vsync set to 60, and it really helps with the feel of the swing interface to be able to play at a steady 60 FPS. Do you lock vsync with TGC 2019?

I so wish HBS had given XBox One X owners the option to select a performance setting (1080p 60 FPS) versus the default 2160p 30 FPS we have. It messes up my timing going back and forth between the two versions where one is playing at double the frame rate of the other.
3440 x 1440 Details on Ultra no problems at all for me
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:3440 x 1440 Details on Ultra no problems at all for me
Sweet... and you're running at 60 FPS with that?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Danimal wrote:3440 x 1440 Details on Ultra no problems at all for me
Sweet... and you're running at 60 FPS with that?
Yes but I don't have a standard off the shelf rig so keep that in mind.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I went ahead and picked up the PC version while it was on sale, thanks for the tip Dan. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the Xbox version. The graphics look much better at a true 1920x1080 rez. I still stink at the game with the new swing mechanics. I may retrofit my controller with Dan's suggestion to make the club hit the ball straight.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:I went ahead and picked up the PC version while it was on sale, thanks for the tip Dan. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the Xbox version. The graphics look much better at a true 1920x1080 rez. I still stink at the game with the new swing mechanics. I may retrofit my controller with Dan's suggestion to make the club hit the ball straight.
Are you able to play at a locked 60 FPS on your machine? That makes a huge difference in swing tempo regulation, IMO.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Hate I missed the final round of the Scottsdale tournament. I had to go out of town from Friday until Sunday evening. I got home just in time to see the kickoff of the Super Bowl, and I was just too burned out to play my round after a six hour drive and all the associated Super Bowl activities. :) I love the official version of Scottsdale though, but I wish they could have seen fit to include the stadium on 16 for Society play.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Sorry for the choice to go with Club de Golf Chapultepec, for this past week's weekly tournament. I played the first three holes of it last week when trying to decide whether to use it, and wasn't overly impressed with it. In the interest of trying to keep our weeklies in accord with the PGA Tour, I went against my better judgement and used it. As it turns out, I found it to be a less than average course, with some pin placements in the final round that were borderline insane! I wound up rating the course at 2 stars, and only then because there were a few times where I could tell what hole I was playing, based on what I was seeing on TV. :)

Well, at least I know we've got a quality version of PGA National to play this week's tournament on. 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

A special note about today's Daily tournament in the DSP Society. It's being played at an old, shortish 9-hole course, Fox Hills Country Club in Paragould Arkansas. It's a LiDAR recreation from one of the best course designers in the game, friendBOMBER. This should give some of the less frequent players in the Society a chance to dive back in on a course that's less of a time investment, while getting a taste of what I think could be a very interesting course.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Bought this on PS4. It was on sale for $14.99 last week. Really enjoying the game! Any courses you guys would recommend?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

WPatrick wrote:Bought this on PS4. It was on sale for $14.99 last week. Really enjoying the game! Any courses you guys would recommend?
If you're a fan at all of Augusta National, Firethorn National is one you must play. It's perhaps the most faithful rendition of Augusta National I've ever seen. The creator had to rename it that to prevent a copyright infringement, apparently.

Also try Inverness Club, Man of Kent (Tour), Aronimink Golf Club, Congaree Golf Club, The Purgatory Golf Club, Jupitor Ridge, Orchard Lake GC, Terre Bonne, Trighton Park... for starters :)

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
WPatrick wrote:Bought this on PS4. It was on sale for $14.99 last week. Really enjoying the game! Any courses you guys would recommend?
If you're a fan at all of Augusta National, Firethorn National is one you must play. It's perhaps the most faithful rendition of Augusta National I've ever seen. The creator had to rename it that to prevent a copyright infringement, apparently.

Also try Inverness Club, Man of Kent (Tour), Aronimink Golf Club, Congaree Golf Club, The Purgatory Golf Club, Jupitor Ridge, Orchard Lake GC, Terre Bonne, Trighton Park... for starters :)
This is why I love the game....so many courses!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

J_Cauthen wrote:

Thanks for the info!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Today's Daily might be of special interest to some of you. It's being played at a course called "Red Reef Park Executive", a 9 hole course that's for all purposes a par 3 course, with a couple of abnormally short par 4 holes that are all reachable with irons. It's a LiDAR/OSM, RCR done by the Michelangelo of RCR courses, friendBOMBER. It would up being a fun play and a sight-seeing experience beyond compare... the course is simply beautiful!

friendBOMBER seems to be turning out an average of 1 1/2 of these RCRs a week over the last six months. You'd think with that kind of production, the course quality would have to suffer... it doesn't; he consistently churns out commercial grade courses! 8)