The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by 10spro »

Really enjoyed Philly Cricket today. Tough as nails, yet fair. Beautiful course.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Thought the exact opposite. Course was tough enough in a good way, but the unrealistic greens turned me off quick. Fast greens and constant huge breaks pretty much ruin the game for me at this point. I lost interest and started messing around after hole 15 or so. Glad you like it though. Must have been putting well.

Any tips on putting for the guys that putt well? I looked on YouTube, but good God counting the lines like what I saw makes it a chore to play, which I have no interest in.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just shot a -1, putting was tough.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Thought the exact opposite. Course was tough enough in a good way, but the unrealistic greens turned me off quick. Fast greens and constant huge breaks pretty much ruin the game for me at this point. I lost interest and started messing around after hole 15 or so. Glad you like it though. Must have been putting well.
Philly Cricket is a LiDAR created course. From the sound of it, the designer may have set the green speed too fast. I went with the default values, decided by the creator, but if they're like most default green speed values, they went with fast or very fast. A course with undulated greens of the magnitude you're describing should be med-fast, at the most, and probably more like medium.
Any tips on putting for the guys that putt well? I looked on YouTube, but good God counting the lines like what I saw makes it a chore to play, which I have no interest in.
I don't think anyone who's seen me play over the last three weeks would want any putting advice from me. I have NO confidence when putting now. When I was putting well, the biggest hint I could offer was to always pretend that the hole is about 5% closer to you than the stated distance, and make your power adjustments based on that.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote: It probably was me. LOL.

That was one of my least favorite weekend tourneys. I just played like crap and couldn't do anything right it seemed.
It could have been... I know I had you in my ghost ball foursome. This is normally a fairly easy course for me, with medium greens. I missed a lot of short and medium range putts in this tournament. I was surprised at how authentic this course looks though. I was playing my third round while watching the real tournament live on my 24" HDTV I've got on the wall beside my big screen. I could empathize with what the players were facing at times.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

So I take it the Lidar courses are all real courses using real topography to generate it? That is interesting. I've seen you mention it before but wasn't totally sure what it was. I definitely prefer medium greens. I'm not sure why the designers all default to fast.

Sounds like we are in the same boat as far as putting John. Just need to keep at it. One thing I think I need to try is hitting firmer putts on the 5 ft and under with significant break. Seems like I try to baby them in fear of missing and shooting way past the hole. Of course when I do this, I usually miss short and it still takes off.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

JOZ wrote:So I take it the Lidar courses are all real courses using real topography to generate it?
Yes. The tool created by a forum member named Chad over at Golfsimulator.com has been a game changer. Basically his tools do all the hard work of sculpting a course’s elevations. Cuts the time to create a course exponentially and the courses are more realistic. I’m currently making my first course with his tool. It’s been a fun experience. I’m finishing it up by placing all the trees on the course. Even with the tool it still takes a decent amount of time.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Thought the exact opposite. Course was tough enough in a good way, but the unrealistic greens turned me off quick. Fast greens and constant huge breaks pretty much ruin the game for me at this point. I lost interest and started messing around after hole 15 or so. Glad you like it though. Must have been putting well.
After reading your post, I played the Philly Cricket Club in a very cowardly fashion. Only two of my putts went more than two feet past the hole. Most of my misses were 2 to 4 feet short. However, there was one hole on the back 9, where I almost went postal. Vader and I were tied at -4. I was 32 feet away and a foot above the hole. Vader was about maybe 20 feet away and off to my left with a less downhill putt, but one that would have broke more than mine. He made his putt for birdie.

I placed the putting target 8 feet away from me and tapped the putt with that short range target in mind. The ball missed the cup by about 2 inches on the high side, and rolled off the green, through the fringe, and a yard into the fairway, 14 yards from the hole :o . I managed to chip up and hole the 5 foot putt for bogey, but I was pissed! I limped in at -3 and I think Vader finished -6. The course looked very natural, but I think it would have played better with medium-fast greens at the most.

Oh, I saw you had one of my patented "Jon Daly" moments on 17 and 18 yesterday... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can have a hissy fit every now and then. When I was hitting my par putt on 17, I saw your ball 258 yards away as you were hitting your 5th shot from another fairway!?
When my switch gets flipped, all reason and rationality goes out the window :wink: How did you manage that 28 yard worm burner tee shot off the 18th tee? That was EPIC! :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:
JOZ wrote:So I take it the Lidar courses are all real courses using real topography to generate it?
Yes. The tool created by a forum member named Chad over at Golfsimulator.com has been a game changer. Basically his tools do all the hard work of sculpting a course’s elevations. Cuts the time to create a course exponentially and the courses are more realistic. I’m currently making my first course with his tool. It’s been a fun experience. I’m finishing it up by placing all the trees on the course. Even with the tool it still takes a decent amount of time.
Are you also using the Overhead Street Map tool that's contained in this package Chad had put together? I can't wait to see how your project comes out!

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

:D I dont remember what happened, but I was done after it. Decided to start playing another hole on the course during the 17th. Of course I was about to hit my 3rd putt on a different green when my max shots ended the hole. :D I think on the 18th I was just trying to land it in the next tee box.

My bad day at work didn't help the situation either :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Are you also using the Overhead Street Map tool that's contained in this package Chad had put together? I can't wait to see how your project comes out!
Yes I’m using OSM. Sucks all the greens, fairways, traps, etc. right into your course! Incredible tool. As far as my project, it’s LuLu Country Club in the Philadelphia area. It’s a Donald Ross course that I played last summer. I’m still decorating the course. Hopefully I’ll have it done this weekend. It’s my first course so no clue how it’s going to turn out. It ‘looks’ good...I just hope it plays well. Hope it’s not too easy.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Not sure what happened this weekend's tournament, butt I had more fast swings in these four rounds than I have had in probably the last 20 rounds combined. Even had a very fast swing on a drive which I have never had. Growing more and more frustrated with this game. I know it's me, but it isn't fun. Maybe Vader had some issues since he was only -20 or so under for the tournament :D

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Not sure what happened this weekend's tournament, butt I had more fast swings in these four rounds than I have had in probably the last 20 rounds combined. Even had a very fast swing on a drive which I have never had. Growing more and more frustrated with this game. I know it's me, but it isn't fun. Maybe Vader had some issues since he was only -20 or so under for the tournament :D
I'm putting so badly over the last two months that I've gone back to using Master clubs. I figure if I can't score as well, I might as well have more dynamic fun with the Master club shot results. I am enjoying it more, and honestly, not scoring all that much worse with the Master clubs than I was with Pro.

What I'm seeing is a lot of downswing speed errors that are just one gradient fast, or one gradient slow on the downswing tempo. It seems like when I get a downswing tempo error with the Pro clubs, it's usually three or four gradients high or low. I can usually reconcile the effect a one gradient tempo error induces, so that's making Master clubs a little more tolerable. Naturally, I still get the three and higher gradient tempo errors with Master clubs, and they are more punitive than the same error on the Pro clubs.

I might see one "Very Fast" downswing tempo with the Master clubs every three rounds, but I'm seeing Very Slow at about twice that rate. I've found that the very slows come after I've made a significant loft adjustment, usually on a flop shot. I'm in second place in the tournament after round one earlier this afternoon, but I'm still seven shots behind the Dark Lord 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Seriously, f*ck off with those hole positions in round 4. Suck a fat one designer.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Edit: Deleting because apparently I'm being a jerk. Story of my life
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Also why was there OB just behind one green on that course?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

BS roll at the course in Necedah today, hole #8. Sometimes, I wonder why I am still playing this game.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Crazy course today. It was all over the place but pretty fun. Except hole 15 where I had a 21 ft putt that was 5 inches downhill breaking right. You couldn't hit it too hard or you would roll off the green and down the hill. Apparently you couldn't hit the ball at all since I barely tapped it and it shot off the putter like I had a two foot back swing and off it went. Made no sense at all. DB and I were knotted up until that hole. Took a double bogey.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:Crazy course today. It was all over the place but pretty fun. Except hole 15 where I had a 21 ft putt that was 5 inches downhill breaking right. You couldn't hit it too hard or you would roll off the green and down the hill. Apparently you couldn't hit the ball at all since I barely tapped it and it shot off the putter like I had a two foot back swing and off it went. Made no sense at all. DB and I were knotted up until that hole. Took a double bogey.
Definitely a crazy course. I think I took a double somewhere on the front 9, but don't quite remember what hole it was. Similar result tho...putting on those greens was troubling.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Whew... Deep Southern Greens gave me one of the most humbling face-washings I've had in months! I shot a 15 over par 87. Five balls in the water and 6, 3-putt greens, two double bogeys and a triple bogey were a part of today's humiliation. I was even par after the 4th hole!

As bad as I'm putting right now, this was not the course to be continuing my transition back to Master clubs on. I only came close to making a birdie on one hole, where I missed a 5-footer. This wasn't a pouting, piss my way to the clubhouse 87... I was legitimately trying on each hole. I closed out the round with a triple bogey and double bogey.

I'm going to go back and play this course again under the same conditions, but swap back to Pro clubs this time. I don't think it would have mattered that much the way I played in this round today. All phases of my game were a mystery to me. It's days like this that keep the game from getting stale for me though :?

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Decent course today. Had a BS moment on the early par 5. There is a long brick fence somewhat close to the fairway down the left-hand side. I hook my drive but stays to the right of the fence. Somehow that is out of bounds and costs me a double bogey. Tried to battle back but came up short.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Decent course today. Had a BS moment on the early par 5. There is a long brick fence somewhat close to the fairway down the left-hand side. I hook my drive but stays to the right of the fence. Somehow that is out of bounds and costs me a double bogey. Tried to battle back but came up short.
I played along with your ghost ball in this round. I think it was the 7th or 8th hole was the hole in question. There were a number of anomalies about the way this hole played out for you, from my perspective. First, I never saw your tee shot "live" off the tee. It only showed mine and Vader's shot. As I was addressing my second shot, I hit the B button to bring up the overhead map. Your ball was not shown anywhere that I could find.

I went back and hit the replay button for your player at this point. The replay showed your tee shot hooking way over the brick wall and into somebody's front yard. It was at least 10 yards to the left of the brick wall down the left side of the fairway.

I went ahead and hit my approach shot with the idea that I'd go back and watch what I thought would be your third shot, based on what I'd seen happen with your tee shot, after my shot came to rest. It still showed you playing your tee shot, just as I'd seen before. I went ahead and hit my chip shot, and then my birdie putt, going back to watch the latest replay of your subsequent shots, yet after each one, it continued to show you hitting your tee shot... on four separate occasions. Your tee shot played out the same way every time :?

On the next hole, everything was back to normal as far as your shots being portrayed live. The mine scoreboard did show that you had double bogeyed the previous hole. I think the code gets whacked sometimes and the player playing the shot will see something different than what the others in the group see. How many times have you been playing in a group and you think you're going to get a read off another player's putt, only to find that their ball is actually resting 10 feet away and off to one side of where you thought it would be when they actually hit the putt?

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Shot a 59 in the first round of this weekends tournament at Southwind. If *I* did that, I can't imagine what scoring is going to be like this weekend! 8O

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

JOZ wrote:Decent course today. Had a BS moment on the early par 5. There is a long brick fence somewhat close to the fairway down the left-hand side. I hook my drive but stays to the right of the fence. Somehow that is out of bounds and costs me a double bogey. Tried to battle back but came up short.
Stop f***in whining when something doesnt go your way.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Sure man. Whatever you say cool guy.

Anyway, I knew that -5 under on the last round wouldn't be enough. Nice one Vader!