The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: Can it get any worse!!?? This has got to be so embarrassing for HB Studios, and certainly their new partner, 2K Sports :roll:
My outside, totally uninformed opinion on HBS is that they don't give a crap how they are perceived. I'm willing to bet this game carries a $59.99 price tag as well.
What I have seen posted that is still up is that the price is $49.99 USD.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I just watched a stream of someone playing the game on the PS4 Pro. He was seeing 10 to 13 MPH winds, and the trees were buffeting as if they were in 35 mph winds, but worse than that, they weren't blowing in any specific direction. It really looked kinda spastic, IMO. You couldn't tell which way the wind was blowing from their behavior, it just looked like they were being shaken from their base :?

It really made for a disruptive kaleidoscopic effect on the greens with the shadows that resulted from this. They've got to get a handle on that! The trees behavior isn't spastic in sub 10 MPH winds, although you still can't gauge the wind direction from looking at them them then either.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DivotMaker wrote:As DChaps stated, I was agreeing with you 100%.....

As JC stated, what a fustercluck.
10-4. Hope this doesn't affect sales of the game.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: Can it get any worse!!?? This has got to be so embarrassing for HB Studios, and certainly their new partner, 2K Sports :roll:
My outside, totally uninformed opinion on HBS is that they don't give a crap how they are perceived. I'm willing to bet this game carries a $59.99 price tag as well.
HBS appears to be filled with code monkeys and golf fanatics with total blindness to PR and marketing. The company could use some outside help in those areas, something 2K will deliver if and when this alliance becomes reality.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:HBS appears to be filled with code monkeys and golf fanatics with total blindness to PR and marketing. The company could use some outside help in those areas, something 2K will deliver if and when this alliance becomes reality.
Paul, they need to hire you! I'll be a reference for you if you want to offer your services, for an appropriate financial compensation to them :)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
pk500 wrote:HBS appears to be filled with code monkeys and golf fanatics with total blindness to PR and marketing. The company could use some outside help in those areas, something 2K will deliver if and when this alliance becomes reality.
Paul, they need to hire you! I'll be a reference for you if you want to offer your services, for an appropriate financial compensation to them :)
I think maybe Don Mattrick is their PR guy. :P
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For the desperate golfers on Xbox, you can set your console to Australia, put an address there, pay via credit or PayPal and you got the game. Although, probably with no servers working until midnight.

Not me. I can wait til tomorrow. I’ll be busy with PES too.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

vader29 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
I think maybe Don Mattrick is their PR guy. :P
Oh, man: Forgot about that dude! Mr. You No-Internet Luddites Can Keep Your 360 and Go F*ck Yourself! :)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

pk500 wrote: Oh, man: Forgot about that dude! Mr. You No-Internet Luddites Can Keep Your 360 and Go F*ck Yourself! :)
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That's classic, Vader! :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Game is out on Xbox. $49.99. 2K is listed as the publisher.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:Game is out on Xbox. $49.99. 2K is listed as the publisher.
Let's do some real MP play tonight boyz. Who's in?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Game is PRETTY. I love that the ball is bigger...don’t need ball trail. I’m just playing a practice round because it’s late here. I definitely want to play some multiplayer tomorrow. Also going to start the career mode tomorrow.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Chipping is way better. The fast forward feature is a super feature. Gonna shave time off rounds. Loving it so far.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Everything looks very promising, from the improved visuals to the hitting mechanics. It seems more forgiving even if you shank a shot, although I am playing with standards clubs. Probably a different story on tour.

The yardage on the shorter clubs have changed but they all seem to carry more yardage than anticipated. For example a chip shot on TGC2 would carry about 12 yards, yet here it goes about 9 yards but when you chip the shot it seems to just sail on you and is not as easy as the previous game.

Putting feels the same which is good, there’s this cursor now to help you adjust your shot. On flop shots, I’d like to see more backspin on the shots as it seems almost non existent.

Also, some of the over the top animations are gone here, I mean don’t take it totally out of the game, but if I hit an eagle there should be some excitement, right?

I enjoyed the three rounds that I played, there’s some adjustment in calculating the proper yardage, but everything looks very promising...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

James, I'm onboard with your impressions myself. I got so mired in creating my golfer and experimenting with settings that an hour and half had gone by before I played my first hole. I'd have liked to hook up with you for some multiplayer. I've done something to screw up my headset and I wasted 20 minutes trying to get it to work... to no avail. I'm going to have to hit the net tomorrow to troubleshoot.

Here are my thoughts on the game thus far:

I've now played 63 holes on my XBox One X, all with Master clubs. I'm really diggin' this game on the X! It looks and feels fantastic. I'm really shocked at just how good it looks in 4K. I had prepared myself to be really disappointed with the looks of the SpeedTrees from watching most of the 1080p streams and videos of the game being played on standard and S XBox Ones. They look like a different generation on the X at 4K, and they show very little pop-in, and it's really not "pop-in" it's more like phase-in as some trees appear in the extreme distance. Everything with 350 yards appears naturally looking as the trees are brought into the scene during scrolling.

What really got my attention was how good the "Full" camera setting looks and how it adds so much to the intimacy I feel with my on-screen surrogate now! 8) I use the "Full" camera option from tee to green and as much as it makes me feel connected to pelting a drive off the tee, it draws me more into moment when putting... it just feels like I'm controlling my player, rather than a remote control golfer who is further removed from the swing camera in the default, "Wide" view.

I just played a Society tournament round at TPC Boston in the official "Open" society, and shot a 71, with six birdies. I put two balls in the water due to not getting my tempo right and losing distance... it felt totally natural and believable - I loved it! I am having considerably more trouble getting perfect/perfect tempo in TGC 2019. In fact, I say that so far it's probably only 15% of the time, whereas in TGC 2, it's like 80%, for me.

My two biggest disappointments so far is that there are no quality/performance options for the X. While the 30 FPS locked frame rate the game has at its 4K res on the X is smoother than I thought it would be, I can't help but wonder if my inability to manage the tempo any better than I am is because my senses can't adapt to the drop from the 40 to 45 FPS frame rates I was used to in TGC 2? I'll keep playing at it and see if this isn't something I adapt to over time.

The second major disappointment is that the spoiler leaderboards of TGC 2 haven't been fixed. When I played the Open Society tournament at Boston, I chose a ghost to play with. After we finished the first hole, which he'd bogeyed, the mini-score status in the upper left corner showed him at +1 through 1. The leaderboard then came up between holes and showed him at +2 after 2 holes. His score was reported throughout the round as one hole ahead of the hole we were actually playing through the finish :(
I just don't understand why the game can't recognize which ghosts I've selected to play with, and adjust their score reporting status on the leaderboard to the hole being played with me ???

Oh, and the new offset playing companion cameras are just awesome. It gives the multiplayer experience so much more personality and perspective realism. I wish they could be tweaked by the player a bit more to get a little more down to head level, but it's far cry better than watching them from their swing camera. It's cool to watch a long approach shot from the right rear of a right handed golfer when you can see the shot in its entirety from that angle. The ball trajectory looks so cool from that perspective!

I've played two TPC courses, Boston and Deere Run, and there's some special ambience about them. I think HBS has done a really good job with them as they've got a presence that feels like a TPC course.

Finally, I started playing Arctic Fury's The House on the Cliff after seeing it an a stream on the XBox One S, and being concerned over the barren look of the SpeedTrees. They look fabulous on the XBox One X, and better yet, their erratic 11 MPH wind behavior doesn't look quite as spastic in the 4K res, for some reason.

I need to play a round on a course in high wind where the trees are going to be casting shadows on the green, to see what sort of kaleidoscopic effect that has at 4K. I'll report back on that later. For right now though, I'm as tickled as I've been with a golf game since PGA Championship 2000 on the PC! I think there's a challenging learning curve ahead of me. This game produces a greater variety of shot results for a player of my average skill, and I can reconcile them all to this point.

I've also had a number of cases of one error offsetting the effects of another error. Like Gdog, I'm prone to go "perfect/fast" on my tempo, but I'm often spared by my fade swing path that negates it. That reflects reality pretty well, IMO. I'm relishing in the fact that not much feels regimented to me right now. That probably will not be the case with more skilled players, but all I can do is share my experience.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I read that virtual currency is implemented in TGC 2019 which has garnered a lot of flak recently. Is that a good or bad thing in 2019? If NBA 2K is any indication, I wonder if from TGC 2020 and on, you'll need to buy VC in order to improve your golfer? I've boycotted NBA 2K because of VC.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:I read that virtual currency is implemented in TGC 2019 which has garnered a lot of flak recently. Is that a good or bad thing in 2019? If NBA 2K is any indication, I wonder if from TGC 2020 and on, you'll need to buy VC in order to improve your golfer? I've boycotted NBA 2K because of VC.
If you got the Mula to buy those currencies so that your player can look better, get the cool cap tha you want, I am OK with that. Eventually the more you play, the game rewards you with updated equipment which frankly I am not sure if it really makes you hit further or putt straighter. You’re not forced to buy it. Unless, they’ve changed things (I only played three rounds) I don’t think it makes your created player hit better.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Nice impressions John. Do you have the in depth of field feature on or off under the graphics tab? I think I decided to turn everything off for better performance and will try that full camera you’re mentioning.

Don’t worry about your headset not working, it would be nice to get a foursome going just for giggles.

I guess I have to try the Master clubs now...

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

How does the "real time" multiplayer work in this game? Can I play with someone from my friends list in real time? In other words, he watches me hit then I watch him? Stroke play.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Spooky wrote:How does the "real time" multiplayer work in this game? Can I play with someone from my friends list in real time? In other words, he watches me hit then I watch him? Stroke play.
Yes you can do this with up to a foursome.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:James, I'm onboard with your impressions myself. I got so mired in creating my golfer and experimenting with settings that an hour and half had gone by before I played my first hole. I'd have liked to hook up with you for some multiplayer. I've done something to screw up my headset and I wasted 20 minutes trying to get it to work... to no avail. I'm going to have to hit the net tomorrow to troubleshoot.

Here are my thoughts on the game thus far:

I've now played 63 holes on my XBox One X, all with Master clubs. I'm really diggin' this game on the X! It looks and feels fantastic. I'm really shocked at just how good it looks in 4K. I had prepared myself to be really disappointed with the looks of the SpeedTrees from watching most of the 1080p streams and videos of the game being played on standard and S XBox Ones. They look like a different generation on the X at 4K, and they show very little pop-in, and it's really not "pop-in" it's more like phase-in as some trees appear in the extreme distance. Everything with 350 yards appears naturally looking as the trees are brought into the scene during scrolling.

What really got my attention was how good the "Full" camera setting looks and how it adds so much to the intimacy I feel with my on-screen surrogate now! 8) I use the "Full" camera option from tee to green and as much as it makes me feel connected to pelting a drive off the tee, it draws me more into moment when putting... it just feels like I'm controlling my player, rather than a remote control golfer who is further removed from the swing camera in the default, "Wide" view.

I just played a Society tournament round at TPC Boston in the official "Open" society, and shot a 71, with six birdies. I put two balls in the water due to not getting my tempo right and losing distance... it felt totally natural and believable - I loved it! I am having considerably more trouble getting perfect/perfect tempo in TGC 2019. In fact, I say that so far it's probably only 15% of the time, whereas in TGC 2, it's like 80%, for me.

My two biggest disappointments so far is that there are no quality/performance options for the X. While the 30 FPS locked frame rate the game has at its 4K res on the X is smoother than I thought it would be, I can't help but wonder if my inability to manage the tempo any better than I am is because my senses can't adapt to the drop from the 40 to 45 FPS frame rates I was used to in TGC 2? I'll keep playing at it and see if this isn't something I adapt to over time.

The second major disappointment is that the spoiler leaderboards of TGC 2 haven't been fixed. When I played the Open Society tournament at Boston, I chose a ghost to play with. After we finished the first hole, which he'd bogeyed, the mini-score status in the upper left corner showed him at +1 through 1. The leaderboard then came up between holes and showed him at +2 after 2 holes. His score was reported throughout the round as one hole ahead of the hole we were actually playing through the finish :(
I just don't understand why the game can't recognize which ghosts I've selected to play with, and adjust their score reporting status on the leaderboard to the hole being played with me ???

Oh, and the new offset playing companion cameras are just awesome. It gives the multiplayer experience so much more personality and perspective realism. I wish they could be tweaked by the player a bit more to get a little more down to head level, but it's far cry better than watching them from their swing camera. It's cool to watch a long approach shot from the right rear of a right handed golfer when you can see the shot in its entirety from that angle. The ball trajectory looks so cool from that perspective!

I've played two TPC courses, Boston and Deere Run, and there's some special ambience about them. I think HBS has done a really good job with them as they've got a presence that feels like a TPC course.

Finally, I started playing Arctic Fury's The House on the Cliff after seeing it an a stream on the XBox One S, and being concerned over the barren look of the SpeedTrees. They look fabulous on the XBox One X, and better yet, their erratic 11 MPH wind behavior doesn't look quite as spastic in the 4K res, for some reason.

I need to play a round on a course in high wind where the trees are going to be casting shadows on the green, to see what sort of kaleidoscopic effect that has at 4K. I'll report back on that later. For right now though, I'm as tickled as I've been with a golf game since PGA Championship 2000 on the PC! I think there's a challenging learning curve ahead of me. This game produces a greater variety of shot results for a player of my average skill, and I can reconcile them all to this point.

I've also had a number of cases of one error offsetting the effects of another error. Like Gdog, I'm prone to go "perfect/fast" on my tempo, but I'm often spared by my fade swing path that negates it. That reflects reality pretty well, IMO. I'm relishing in the fact that not much feels regimented to me right now. That probably will not be the case with more skilled players, but all I can do is share my experience.
Very close to my thoughts after 27 holes.

Game is very polished and runs beautifully on the X.

I likely won’t need the PC version based on my short time with it.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

vader29 wrote:
Spooky wrote:How does the "real time" multiplayer work in this game? Can I play with someone from my friends list in real time? In other words, he watches me hit then I watch him? Stroke play.
Yes you can do this with up to a foursome.
Great news! Thanks.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Played a round before bed last night. Very impressed with the improvements, especially around the green w/ the swing. The greens aren't nearly as crazy with the roll and the physics seem a lot more realistic so far. The graphics, as mentioned before, on the X are fantastic. Looking forward to getting back into the DSP society and getting more rounds in with the boys.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Anyone have a link so I can buy while at work and have it download to my XB1X?

:D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation