The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:I just don't get the greens these guys make. Good courses ruined by ridiculous greens.
I thought the Detroit course presented a tougher putting challenge in the game than it would in real life. I had at least three, 3-putt greens in each of the rounds I completed.

BTW, there's something really strange about the internet connection I have at the vacation house I'm renting for the week. TGC 2019 frequently flashes up a disconnect message. I have to go back and manually reconnect via the main menu, but sometimes I have to quit the game and restart it to get a reconnect. We tried watching a Netflix movie last night and it would stop and rebuffer, for about a minute, every three minutes. I sat through three of those before I'd had enough. It's cable modem, but I just checked and it shows 5.77 Mbps download and 4.16 Mbps upload. I got to the 4th hole in yesterday's Daily before throwing in the towel. This is sooooo going to make me appreciate what I have at home much more! 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:I remembered asking Vader during our weekend skinz game what he shot for the last round when he responded: ‘You have to finish your play to find out’. After that statement I knew he probably shot to the moon and back on what we all agreed was a tough tournament. The reason why I asked him was because I was in uncharted territory leading him by two strokes after three rounds.

Sure enough, he shot like a -7 or something like that on the final round whereas I just couldn’t buy a birdie. I thought I would choke eventually, but give Vader all the credit scoring that low on the 4th round. I played well the whole tournament but couldn’t convert where it mattered the most.

So still, screw you Vader... :twisted:
I made two birdies in round 3, but what really burned me up was hitting two par 5's in two, and then 3-putting both of them for pars. Vader shot a 64 in the final round, but I never got the final round due to my connection problems here. That son of a gun can putt though... I don't know that I've played with anyone regularly who makes more 25 foot plus putts than he does. Putting is what is sorely lacking in my game right now. I have no confidence it seems, but I've been through fits with putting before and got through them.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I'm just in a place now where I am lost putting. Not that I was good anyway, but now it's to the point where nothing even makes sense.

It doesn't help that every place on every green has a significant break. I'm guessing the designers make a course and are not happy with the low scores so they just trick out the greens? Gets old.

I guess I need to try playing with Vader's ghost and maybe get some kind of clue.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:I'm just in a place now where I am lost putting. Not that I was good anyway, but now it's to the point where nothing even makes sense.

It doesn't help that every place on every green has a significant break. I'm guessing the designers make a course and are not happy with the low scores so they just trick out the greens? Gets old.

I guess I need to try playing with Vader's ghost and maybe get some kind of clue.
Those of you who played the tournament at Medinah yesterday, how impressed were you with the course appearance? While on vacation, I'm using a 1080p 2012 Vizio LCD display and it looked pretty bad. I'm not a fan of the Harvest theme in TGC 2019 to begin with, but the reds and yellows of the Autumn turning trees looked really heavy and blurred to me. I also thought the course looked a little flat and lacking in definition, even though it was LiDAR. Was that just me, or did anyone else pick up on that?

BTW, I've got Arctic Fury's latest course, set in Romania, for today's daily. I haven't played it yet, but I'm reading some very solid reports on it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

JOZ wrote:I'm just in a place now where I am lost putting. Not that I was good anyway, but now it's to the point where nothing even makes sense.
I think it just lacks consistency. You look at the way the lines move and you think you have it down but the next time you encounter that setup it reacts differently. I hate the glitch where the ball just goes left off the putter face, I get that at least 3 or 4 times a round.

Putting is just bad golf games, always has been. Clearly some guys can figure it out but I'm not one of them. :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I think it just lacks consistency. You look at the way the lines move and you think you have it down but the next time you encounter that setup it reacts differently. I hate the glitch where the ball just goes left off the putter face, I get that at least 3 or 4 times a round.
I've had a couple of putts in the past few rounds break the opposite of what the grid was showing. It's rare that it happens, but it does happen... both on left and right breakers. To add to your observation that the ball goes left off the putter face, yes, I see that occasionally, but I also think the ball begins breaking instantly after impact. I've subconsciously compensated for that in my alignment over the years (it's done it in every version of TGC) so it's not a totally debilitating issue, but one that I wish wasn't there.
Putting is just bad golf games, always has been. Clearly some guys can figure it out but I'm not one of them. :D
I think putting in golf games has a lot of room for improvement. I have to apply compensation factors to deal with the liberties golf games take with putting physics. I still think Sierra's PGA Championship Golf 2000 has the best putting physics of any golf game I've played to date.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I’ve been working on a course with my TGC19 simulator software. I’ve been using the Lidar data tool to import the course and its pretty damn amazing. It literally drops the property down with all the elevations already set. Then you go and decorate it. This tool set cuts the time to build a course exponentially. Im guessing it will show up in the console versions if I publish it. I’m hoping to have the course done this week some time. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I joined the Q-School society in the software and it runs exactly like the Xbox version. Fun as hell. Basically a mini tour with a bunch of normal dudes :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Man, I wish you guys could experience TGC2019 on the simulator. I am in the ProTee Q-School Society on the sim and its very cool. I just shot a 73 in the 1st round at Tarawa. It’s a 2 round tournament so I need to do it again tomorrow. The dude leading it shot a -7 in round 1. I am in 8th place entering round 2.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:Man, I wish you guys could experience TGC2019 on the simulator. I am in the ProTee Q-School Society on the sim and its very cool. I just shot a 73 in the 1st round at Tarawa. It’s a 2 round tournament so I need to do it again tomorrow. The dude leading it shot a -7 in round 1. I am in 8th place entering round 2.
If I had a simulator, I'd be all over this Diablo25. What's your handicap IRL? Do you feel that the 73 you shot at Tarawa (one of my favorite courses in TGC 2019, btw) was comparable to what you would do there IRL, off the same tees? How many are in the ProTee Society?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I simply didn't have enough time to get my final two rounds for this past week's tournament. I was vacationing where I had a lousy internet connection. When I got home my Elite and my next favorite XBox one controller have at least one navigation button that's stuck, somehow, and I couldn't use either of them. I had an older XBox One controller that has lost a lot of its sensitivity, and I wound up with a lot of "slow/slow" and "perfect/slow" tempos, but adjusted to it by aiming left and short.

It looked like Vader was blazing a trail that no one was going to be able to follow anyway... (BTW, has the man ever seen a putt he didn't think he could make!?) so, it would have been a battle for second. I was ahead of Joz by two shots when my backup controller low sensitivity had finally worn out its welcome and I couldn't tolerate it anymore.

I took both of my XBox One Xs on the trip with me so as to minimize competition for them with the kids and grandson. They were both working fine when I shut them down for the last time at the beach. I brought them home in the cargo area of my SUV.

My son hooked the living room X up, while I was hooking up the rec room's X. My grandson came to me about 10 minutes after the one in the living room was powered up, and said the screen started popping, and then displayed full noise. I could feel the heat emanating from it from 2 feet away. I turned it off and let it cool to ambient temp. Then when I fired it up from a cold start, the fan wouldn't come on at the point it usually comes on after startup, so I figure the fan has gone belly-up.

I priced a replacement OEM fan and it comes in at $14. I'm technically savvy and have made repairs to consoles, including multiple XBox 360s over the years, but this will be the first for a fan replacement. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their XBox One, or One X?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid has been accepted into the DSP Society... welcome sir! Today's tournament is at Helmsley Golf Links. I haven't played it yet, but it was recommended to me as an easy course of merit.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:fsquid has been accepted into the DSP Society... welcome sir! Today's tournament is at Helmsley Golf Links. I haven't played it yet, but it was recommended to me as an easy course of merit.
Do you have to keep giving Vader more ammunition? :twisted:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:fsquid has been accepted into the DSP Society... welcome sir! Today's tournament is at Helmsley Golf Links. I haven't played it yet, but it was recommended to me as an easy course of merit.
Do you have to keep giving Vader more ammunition? :twisted:
I want to be a witness when he posts a 52... this might be the venue in which it happens! Heck, I might even be able to post a 64 at Helmsley! :mrgreen:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Man, I wish you guys could experience TGC2019 on the simulator. I am in the ProTee Q-School Society on the sim and its very cool. I just shot a 73 in the 1st round at Tarawa. It’s a 2 round tournament so I need to do it again tomorrow. The dude leading it shot a -7 in round 1. I am in 8th place entering round 2.
If I had a simulator, I'd be all over this Diablo25. What's your handicap IRL? Do you feel that the 73 you shot at Tarawa (one of my favorite courses in TGC 2019, btw) was comparable to what you would do there IRL, off the same tees? How many are in the ProTee Society?
I am about a 6 or 7 handicap IRL. I’m sure IRL I’d have struggled a bit more :D I am currently in the Q-School which has 3 events to est your handicap (I believe). There are about 30(?) guys in the Q School. My guess is there are more in the actual Pro Tee Society. I still haven’t played my 2nd round. I believe I need to complete it by the 10th.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:I’ve been working on a course with my TGC19 simulator software. I’ve been using the Lidar data tool to import the course and its pretty damn amazing. It literally drops the property down with all the elevations already set. Then you go and decorate it. This tool set cuts the time to build a course exponentially. Im guessing it will show up in the console versions if I publish it. I’m hoping to have the course done this week some time. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I joined the Q-School society in the software and it runs exactly like the Xbox version. Fun as hell. Basically a mini tour with a bunch of normal dudes :D
All I have to do is put the trees (and a few other minor things) on my course and it’ll be done. I have all the holes in and OB set. If I get some time this week I’d love to finish it. It’s been fun getting used to the design software. This Lidar tool kit has made the process very fun.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Ok guys here are my last 7 holes of the tournament at Tarawa in the ProTee Q School sim society. Fun stuff. Hope my commentary isn’t too annoying :D

Here is the raw link for those who can’t see the preview below.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:Ok guys here are my last 7 holes of the tournament at Tarawa in the ProTee Q School sim society. Fun stuff. Hope my commentary isn’t too annoying :D

Here is the raw link for those who can’t see the preview below.

Dang that looks like a blast! I can see how that could help you out quite a bit with your IRL game. The commentary was helpful, as it helped clarify what I was seeing on screen. Is a 6 foot gimme the norm with the Pro Tee version? What is it about short putts that make it problematic for the game? Or maybe it's just a way to move the game along a little faster?

Let us know how you finish up in this tournament, BTW. Oh, I couldn't even see your link until I clicked on "Quote" and then had to paste the You Tube URL into my browser. I'm using Chrome, which has a problem with You Tube and this forum, I'm told.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The gimmies are to keep it moving I guess. If you have your SkyTrak lined up correctly short putts aren't that bad. Id put it at 3 feet myself but that's their rule. The tourney ends today so I am guessing I'll be finishing around 9th.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:The gimmies are to keep it moving I guess. If you have your SkyTrak lined up correctly short putts aren't that bad. Id put it at 3 feet myself but that's their rule. The tourney ends today so I am guessing I'll be finishing around 9th.
Thanks, I'm glad to read it's not a technical issue that's driving it. Is it hard to envision a target when you're putting, especially inside of 8 feet for example? I'm just thinking your ball is going to roll off your pad before it reaches the "hole". What are you looking at as you aim and make your stroke?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Epic meltdown at Lake Sofia CC in yesterday's DSP Daily. I was tied with Vader, at -6, going to the 11th hole. I left the 11th at +1 (would have been higher, but the shot limit exceeded rule saved me), while Vader went away at -7. I was playing with Master clubs, and I was keeping the ball in play up to that point for the most part, but I got a "Perfect/Very Fast" tempo off the tee. This time is was legit. I was trying to get a little draw and extra distance out of a 3 wood off the tee, and got over zealous, hooking my ball into the lake to the left.

The 11th hole has the Master club player at a disadvantage, as a normal 3 wood would have to a narrow strip of fairway, while a fully cranked driver would put you so far up in the split 'right' fairway, that a group of trees would have blocked my approach. A Master 3 wood to the right part of the split fairway would be iffy as to whether it would have enough carry to reach the fairway.

The drop was ridiculous. I had to go back to a rocky, rough area, with a cluster of trees between me and the hole. The limbs looked like they were high enough to allow me hit an unlofted 4 iron under them and come out on the fairway, 40 to 50 yards in front of the green. The 4 iron hit branches that I didn't see. Went with a delofted 3 iron and it hit branches I didn't see on my 5th shot. With my 7th shot I hit a punch 4 iron and it reportedly hit "branches" and fell short. With my 9th I hit punch 3 iron and it cleared the water, hit some rocks going forward rapidly only to hit another rock to rapidly rebound and go back into the water. I wasn't even sniffing the green when I ran out of strokes :evil:

I played the rest of my round with my arse on my shoulders and wound up with two more doubles and a triple bogey, although I somehow worked another two birdies in somehow, on my way to a DFL finish at 78... I'm not quite ready for Master clubs yet, at least until I get my Elite controller fixed. It's down D pad button is still on auto fire somehow and I've been too lazy to take it apart :oops:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:The gimmies are to keep it moving I guess. If you have your SkyTrak lined up correctly short putts aren't that bad. Id put it at 3 feet myself but that's their rule. The tourney ends today so I am guessing I'll be finishing around 9th.
Thanks, I'm glad to read it's not a technical issue that's driving it. Is it hard to envision a target when you're putting, especially inside of 8 feet for example? I'm just thinking your ball is going to roll off your pad before it reaches the "hole". What are you looking at as you aim and make your stroke?
I have a piece of tape on the end of my mat as the aiming point for all putts. Every shot I make is at that marker. All of the aiming is done with the laptop.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

This game has me by the cahones here of late. I've had one or two flashes over the last couple of months where I've been able to score in the mid to low 60's, but mostly, I'm having trouble breaking 70. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to stem from the lack of confidence I have when putting. I missed 4 putts of 3 feet (2 of which were from inside 2 feet!), or less in round 1 of the current Deere Run tournament. I think I'm too cavalier about "gimmes" It's almost like I'm too lazy to allow for break on sub 3 footers, which is a new ailment with me.

I wanted to ask some of you if you're experiencing what I'm experiencing with the putting here, or late. In the last two or three weeks, I'm missing a lot of <6 foot putts that show a left to right break by the grid, but go straight. I'd say I'm seeing this on the average of two putts per round. Am I alone in this?
What's ironic about this is that I'm perhaps enjoying the game now, more than ever. I was scoring so badly with Pro clubs that I decided to go back and use Master clubs in round 2, and shot a 67. I think I'm going to stick with them because I like the more dynamic nature of the game when using them.

I still haven't fixed my Elite controller and that's part of my putting woes now. I find it harder to regulate the putt strength with the much less sensitive stock XB1 controller I'm using now.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

All I can say is that personally my putts misses by two hair splits while I see the top dogs sinking every single putt, break or no breaks. 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:All I can say is that personally my putts misses by two hair splits while I see the top dogs sinking every single putt, break or no breaks. 8)
I had three missed putts yesterday that missed by two hair splits, yet resulted in follow-up putts of 20 - 22 feet... on the same freaking hole! :evil: I was playing round 4 of the Deere Run tournament and was -3 going to the 6th hole. I left my approach in the light rough, about 4 feet off the green and maybe 30 feet below the hole. There was yellow slope grids coming down toward me from about a foot and a half below the hole, running down to about 12 feet below the hole. My chip came up about a foot short, and then rolled back to 22 feet below the hole. My next three putts all missed and rolled back to almost the identical spot. I finally holed a 20 footer for a triple bogey 7. If that one hadn't have gone, I'm sure I would have rage quit at that point :x I can't believe one of the licensed official courses has a pin placement that ridiculous!

I wasn't the only DSP'er in my ghost ball group that was victimized by that hole. I wish I'd taken note of who it was, but there was someone else playing volleyball with the slope on that hole as well :) It made me feel better to know that I wasn't alone in the misery that hole caused me 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I wasn't the only DSP'er in my ghost ball group that was victimized by that hole. I wish I'd taken note of who it was, but there was someone else playing volleyball with the slope on that hole as well :) It made me feel better to know that I wasn't alone in the misery that hole caused me 8)
It probably was me. LOL.

That was one of my least favorite weekend tourneys. I just played like crap and couldn't do anything right it seemed.