The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by Greensboronclion »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:34 pm
Greensboronclion wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am
Kind of surprised that the price will be 59.99 vs 49.99 and no early purchase discounts either. I think I will sit back and wait till it's released and see if gameplay has been overhauled especially the ground effect.
The $59.99 price is hard to justify from a game that's not going to allow you to play a round as one of the featured pros, it's likely not going to let you play against their AI models, head-to-head in Career challenge matches. I've already learned that you won't get to play with their AI models in a Career mode tournament. You'll get their scores on a leaderboard, and occasional cut-scene highlights of them playing a hole elsewhere on the course. It's stacking up more like a $49.99 game, at most, IMO.

I'll buy it a $59.99 because I'm a golf game junkie, but when more people learn that they're not going to be able to even play with their AI models in tournaments, or possibly even against them in career mode challenges, they're not going be willing to part with $60 for it. :?

I have to agree that as good as the video looks and how much better the gameplay will be it could be a real breaker for most with the limitations you have stated.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Yesterday we played Arctic Fury's latest course, Carinthia Club, Austria. It has been a while since AC released a course and I set this one up sight unseen. This one had a bit of a tricked-up, fantasy flavor to it, IMO. As will any AC course, it looked fantastic; the guy has an artistic eye and touch that is truly extraordinary! I went back to Pro clubs for this one as I had a hunch I wouldn't be able to keep Master clubs in play on this track (and I wouldn't have) and played okay.

What hurt me the most in this round was missing 3 birdie putts of 5 feet, or less - one of which was a 3 footer :evil:
My putting has just gotten horrendous over the recent months. I can recall only one round in the last two months in which I haven't had a 3-putt green. It mostly comes from overpowering the birdie putt and running well past the hole. I like that the game has me going through this right now. Even though I'm generally not scoring well because of my putting woes, I enjoy wrestling with it.

On a final note, 10spro, I could feel your pain at Carinthia Club. I had you in my ghost ball foursome last night there. I think the rest of our foursome was teeing off on #9 while you were still playing the 8th :) You may have drowned more balls in that round than I did in my final round at Harbour Town last weekend, where I shot 79 in the final round, despite 6 birdies. I simply lost my cool and stomped my way around the final 4 holes with a 'tude. No other video or computer game I play puts me anywhere on the emotional roller coaster ride this one does!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, it was a nightmare for sure. Can’t remember how many swims I had but for that hole it was a quad I believe. Agree on your assessment for putting during the par 5’s it was definitely trickier than it looked. The reason why I didn’t rage quit despite the fantasy feel was because I agree, it was a beautiful course.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:17 pm
Yeah, it was a nightmare for sure. Can’t remember how many swims I had but for that hole it was a quad I believe. Agree on your assessment for putting during the par 5’s it was definitely trickier than it looked. The reason why I didn’t rage quit despite the fantasy feel was because I agree, it was a beautiful course.
I wound up giving the course five stars, but didn't favorite it. It's a work of art, but not a course I would want to play regularly.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm
After watching this video I am really excited for this game. It's like a totally new game and they really have put work into the gameplay and graphics. Watch the video and you will see what I mean.

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0
That's the best sales promotion I've seen for 2K21. Respawn points out details I'd overlooked. I know the swing looks different and it's no doubt going to feel different. I just hope the difference is a more intuitive one that doesn't produce a power fade from a slow downswing.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just some more Lidar Course creation help if anyone is looking to create a Lidar course.

https://golfcontrolbox.com/tgc2019-buil ... lf-course/
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:23 am
Just some more Lidar Course creation help if anyone is looking to create a Lidar course.

What a fantastic link... everything you need is right there! I rolled up my sleeves this morning and decided I was going to try my local course again, but after doing some reading there, I realized quickly that I've built a bad foundation and will be better off starting over again. I haven't wasted my time with what I've done because it's at least help me learn how to use the tools. Thanks again!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'd like to throw out an idea to see if it sounds like something you guys would like to try. How about a tournament on Monday where the scout cameras and green grids are off? I played a round with both disabled and had some fun with it. Turning the scout camera off actually helps you when going with gridless greens because it allows you to get a low look from behind the golfer by pressing "Y", then "R3" (L3 if you're a right stick swing player) gives you a 180 degree look from down low, back to the ball. You can even pull the stick back to get the camera down even lower, almost to ground level.

My beef about playing gridless in the past has been that I'm too impatient to go though the process I was using, the elevation sweep method using the targeting cursor, but this Y/R3 method winds up taking maybe three to five seconds to get a good read.

Anybody up for this, just on Monday?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Why not? I’ve been struggling for the past week or so, might as well try something new.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:40 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:23 am

What a fantastic link... everything you need is right there! I rolled up my sleeves this morning and decided I was going to try my local course again, but after doing some reading there, I realized quickly that I've built a bad foundation and will be better off starting over again. I haven't wasted my time with what I've done because it's at least help me learn how to use the tools. Thanks again!
Glad it helped.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Did anyone try to play their round(s) for the weekly tournament late last night? I started trying at 9:30 PM EDT, but I would get disconnected from XBox Live, time after time. I got no further than the second hole in my final round, and it took 4 reboots to get that far. The rest of my internet service was fine. I was able to connect to Steam and play a game there. This must have at least been a regional XBox Live issue for me.

As a reminder, today's Daily is an experimental, no green grid, no scout camera event. It actually helps to turn the scout camera off when you go gridless because it makes it possible to get a good, low look at the putt from both sides of the hole by pressing "Y" and then clicking the non swing stick (R3 in my case) to get a low look from the opposite side of the hole.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I got the vibe that Monday's gridless greens/no scout cam experiment didn't go over very well? Fsquid and I finished in a tie for first at even par on a course that was just above average in difficulty. The reason I thought it might be worth a try was that a friend put me onto that quick "Y"/"R3" green reading technique and I was able to get a quicker, more informative view of the green by using it.

I had four, 3-putt greens yesterday, one of them from six feet, but in each case it was because I didn't take sufficient time to look at the slope from both sides of the hole. I liked the look of the course without the grid lines. I'd forgotten how obtrusive they are. I'm still up in the air about gridless/no scout cam, even after this. I played in a Society that used them exclusively, and quit after two months because I was getting frustrated with them. Maybe the textures and lighting in 2K21 will help make gridless greens more practical?

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I’ve tried no grid putting in the past but I’ve given up on it. :(

It takes me too much time and patience to read the greens. I also have a depth perception problem with my eyesight so I need all the help I can get attempting to come close to reading the breaks on the green. :?

-MERACE

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Links 2003 and PG have the BLI which I wish this game had as I hate the grid but it is what it is. The BLI was my favorite way at Links and playing RAW was much better and to be honest was more accurate than the grid. Hopefully someday this game will have something like it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm not sure what's happening to me, but this afternoon I shot a 66 in the opening round of the official True Sim Tour event at Southwind (most every aid off, including the elevation indicator on the putting cursor), and I'm tied for second!? 8O

Mark, I lost my patience with gridless greens when I was using the elevation sweep method to gauge slope. I learned today that method won't work in True Sim Tour play, with the elevation tool off. That forward and backwards look from a low level using Y/R3 takes most of the work out of that and even with my impatience, I can manage it. It wouldn't work well for you if you have a depth perception issue with your eyesight, however, sorry to hear that.

Rob, I remember the BLI very well, but I think it tells me more about what I need to do with the putt, overall, than the grid lines. I might not tell you about the subtle left and right breaks it might take along the way, but it seems to be giving away too much in the end result. That's my recollection of how it worked anyway...

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm
I'm not sure what's happening to me, but this afternoon I shot a 66 in the opening round of the official True Sim Tour event at Southwind (most every aid off, including the elevation indicator on the putting cursor), and I'm tied for second!? 8O

Mark, I lost my patience with gridless greens when I was using the elevation sweep method to gauge slope. I learned today that method won't work in True Sim Tour play, with the elevation tool off. That forward and backwards look from a low level using Y/R3 takes most of the work out of that and even with my impatience, I can manage it. It wouldn't work well for you if you have a depth perception issue with your eyesight, however, sorry to hear that.

Rob, I remember the BLI very well, but I think it tells me more about what I need to do with the putt, overall, than the grid lines. I might not tell you about the subtle left and right breaks it might take along the way, but it seems to be giving away too much in the end result. That's my recollection of how it worked anyway...

The BLI does give you more info than the grid and I putt better when using it. I would say the best players at PG only use the BLI to Putt and I know that for a fact at Links. Been playing TGC 2019 on my Laptop while gone this summer and the putting of the game to me is better with the feel and if ground effects get fixed in next game it will be killer. Really starting to understand the distance control much better.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Detroit GC or whatever it was called KILLED me in this weekends tourney. Terrible game all around. And those greens... definition of deceptive.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm
Detroit GC or whatever it was called KILLED me in this weekends tourney. Terrible game all around. And those greens... definition of deceptive.
Yeah, it's the North Course at Detroit Golf Club, where they're playing the Rocket Mortgage Classic for the PGA TOUR this week. It's the highest rated of about six different versions of the course. I played two of the highest rated through the first 3 holes to make the decision to go with this one. It definitely looked better than the second highest rated one, and had more tournament props, so I went with it.

I haven't had a chance to play my first round yet, but thanks for the warning about the greens. Maybe it help me to convince myself to putt more defensively. Most of my numerous 3-putt greens are attributable to my overaggressive putting. I should take a hint from watching Joz play and just chip everything in... seriously Joz, you have to average two chip-ins per round at the very least! :o

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 pm
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Yeah, it's the North Course at Detroit Golf Club, where they're playing the Rocket Mortgage Classic for the PGA TOUR this week. It's the highest rated of about six different versions of the course. I played two of the highest rated through the first 3 holes to make the decision to go with this one. It definitely looked better than the second highest rated one, and had more tournament props, so I went with it.

I haven't had a chance to play my first round yet, but thanks for the warning about the greens. Maybe it help me to convince myself to putt more defensively. Most of my numerous 3-putt greens are attributable to my overaggressive putting. I should take a hint from watching Joz play and just chip everything in... seriously Joz, you have to average two chip-ins per round at the very least! :o
I figured I have a better chance of making chips than long putts most of the time :)

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I had a chance this weekend as I was 2 back with 3 to play at the Detroit course. Boy was I wrong. Hit a good drive on 16, then it fell apart. Couldn't do anything right from then on.

Great second round Vader. It was a tough go that second time around.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
I see what you mean about Detroit's greens Leadfoot. I had a four foot par putt in round one, and it was a double breaker. I couldn't pick up the second break, even with grids on! I did good to shoot 3 or 4 under in that round, but I missed a lot of short putts even at that!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:08 pm
I had a chance this weekend as I was 2 back with 3 to play at the Detroit course. Boy was I wrong. Hit a good drive on 16, then it fell apart. Couldn't do anything right from then on.

Great second round Vader. It was a tough go that second time around.
I'm too far behind both of you to be a factor, but I'm going to play my second round with both of your ghost balls just do I can get a good spectator's seat!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I thought I was above average on the first round of the Detroit Open only to find myself in a totally different scenario in round two. Kept hooking on my Drives, missing 3’ putts and a couple of holes where double bogeys were the norm. That last hole was certainly tricky. Thought I had a great shot 6’ of the hole only to roll down all the way to the fringe. There was also one particular hole also where I chose the right club for the distance required only to overshoot it by miles.

It was a frustrating 2nd round for sure.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Ugh. Those greens were like putting on a kitchen floor.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Sudz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:50 am
Ugh. Those greens were like putting on a kitchen floor.
I haven't played round 2 yet, but I was starting to get a hint of what you're talking about over the last three holes of round 1. Knowing that "Pin 4" settings are in effect for round 2, I'd better put my lag putter in the bag for it!