The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Leadfoot, I battled you tooth and nail for that tournament last night. You holed an eagle putt on the back nine from the parking lot and that's when I knew it was on! I really liked Baanne Resort as a course; it was a very unique, natural creation!
Awesome! :) Felt good to boot up the game again on Monday, it had been a few months.... I moved my xbox into my home office (WFH these days) to give me a break during lunch hour - getting a round of golf in is perfect.

I really like that course too, easier greens. :) Today's greens were tougher, but I was still able to eagle 18 for a good score.... You'll probably clear me by 2-3 strokes today...

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Is there a prize for last place? :lol: It's going to take me awhile to figure this game out but I found out very fast at the top of swing not real good. Oh and three putting a lot not good either. Having fun tho and practicing a lot.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:Is there a prize for last place? :lol: It's going to take me awhile to figure this game out but I found out very fast at the top of swing not real good. Oh and three putting a lot not good either. Having fun tho and practicing a lot.
I have found that if I stop my backswing about 5 to 10% short of the mechanical stop, I'm going to have a better chance at nailing the tempo. Even though I've stopped a little short, it doesn't take any of the shot power away.

I wish I could give you some advice about putting, but my putting game has been on a steady decline for months! Most of the time it's because I've hit the putt too hard and either take the break out of the putt, or run it by a further distance than that of the original putt :oops: :)

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

I really feel the putting with a controller is much better than PG. I really like the feel of it but it takes some getting used to on the speed but I am much better with long putts than I was with controller at PG. Also the roll of the ball on firm settings is what makes it challenging as it can roll forever. Down here in the Myrtle Beach area we have quite a few courses where the roll is very similar and Grand Dunes and Long Bay are like that and very challenging. I have to learn to go to the range and practice before playing rounds to get my swing right and yes I agree a little short on backswing helps. The Very Fast on the top really can send the ball left a lot but working on that also.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:I really feel the putting with a controller is much better than PG. I really like the feel of it but it takes some getting used to on the speed but I am much better with long putts than I was with controller at PG.
The feel of the putting in TGC 2019 is a big part of the reason I prefer playing it over PG. I fear a 3 foot putt in PG more than a 12 footer. I feel like I can't regulate the distance very well on short putts in PG. It's ironic because I feel much more confident that I can pull off a 90% full shot in PG than I can in TGC!?
Also the roll of the ball on firm settings is what makes it challenging as it can roll forever. Down here in the Myrtle Beach area we have quite a few courses where the roll is very similar and Grand Dunes and Long Bay are like that and very challenging.
I know exactly what you mean and last night's round at Bandon Dunes 2019 was a case in point. Even though the greens were normal, they were still fast. I can't talk myself into underhitting a downhill putt a lot of times. I had 5, 3-putt greens in last night's round, one of which started out as a 15 foot putt for eagle :oops: :evil: The birdie putt was from 18 feet... a competent golfer shouldn't run a 15 foot putt, 18 feet past the hole 8O
I have to learn to go to the range and practice before playing rounds to get my swing right and yes I agree a little short on backswing helps. The Very Fast on the top really can send the ball left a lot but working on that also.
Very fast downswings are nearly always fatal in this game, but the very slows, which also result in extra carry can be almost as bad. I've found that I should always have to short, practice takeaway, just to see if the animation stutters at all. It seems that I usually get off a better tempo if I've taken a practice waggle, seen stutter, and reset the swing. Problem is I don't have the discipline or the patience to do that every time!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I went ahead and set this week's 36 hole tournament at Harbor Town. We've got a great rendition of the course in the game and it's where the PGA TOUR would have been this week. In fact, the next four weeks all look good for going with the PGA TOUR 2020 season stops, in terms of having really high quality courses in the game on which to play our virtual tournaments.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I went ahead and set this week's 36 hole tournament at Harbor Town.
Played the first round. Great rendition of the course for sure!! Even dropped a few strokes on the holes where the trees overhang the fairway. Lesson learned for round 2!! :)

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Welcome Greensboro and welcome back Leadfoot

I struggled with the course yesterday, to the point I missed my putt on the 18 and just turned my Xbox off :D

I have been way too inconsistent since we started this season. Almost as if John's praise at the end of last season jinxed me. So I blame you John and my controller. Never my fault :)

So Greensboro, you are telling me there are actual real greens that are as fast as some of these on the game? 8O

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

JOZ wrote:Welcome Greensboro and welcome back Leadfoot

I struggled with the course yesterday, to the point I missed my putt on the 18 and just turned my Xbox off :D

I have been way too inconsistent since we started this season. Almost as if John's praise at the end of last season jinxed me. So I blame you John and my controller. Never my fault :)

So Greensboro, you are telling me there are actual real greens that are as fast as some of these on the game? 8O

Thanks for the welcome and yes sir there are. We got a host of course like that here on the Grand Strand and I once played Long Bay Club which is a Jack Nicklaus design in mid summer and the greens were faster than the asfault in the parking lot. I grew up in Western Pennsylvania and there was only one speed for greens there and that's fast. There are courses there that are even faster than Oakmont. It's a real challenge to stop the ball on these greens in the game when set to firm and very firm I still haven't figured out. Great fun tho.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Good to know. I always assumed the fast setting on the greens was too fast. I thought medium was more realistic. Guess I'm used to the public courses around here.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Zlax45 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:I just got through listening to a TSN 1290 interview with The Golf Club 2019's Executive Producer, Shaun West. The interview was triggered by the renewed interest in video games, and particularly sports video games. It's a 12 minute interview and it's really professionally done, but for the first 11 minutes and 40 seconds it rehashes what most of us already know about the game... things get really interesting in the final 40 seconds, when Shaun is asked:

Is there another Golf Club coming up in the future?" Shaun's response started out like I thought it would with "I assumed you would ask me that and right now we don't have any info (or news... there's a warp in the audio and I can't tell whether he said info or news - I could hear both of them depending on how I'm listening) about what we're working on". We've read that here in the forum on a couple of occasions.

What I totally didn't expect to hear was what he followed that up with: "but you can stay tuned and I think there's some cool stuff coming up that we're in the works with... with 2K and PGA TOUR on to get some new content out there" :o

Now let the discussions of what he meant by "new content" begin, as I struggled right away with whether he meant new game, or new DLC PGA TOUR courses and possibly PGA Tour player models incorporated into the game? Either way, it's good to hear something new is coming, although I'm hoping strongly that it's a new game, updated with the thought of the XBox Series X and PS5 in mind!

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/ ... -1.1464491
This game is a little old but I don't think I have ever put in 225 rounds in a golf game before this one.
Agreed Zlax. Easily my favorite golf game ever, and the single player is pretty bare bones. If they were just to do a large update with more single player content along with real golfers, I'd be more than happy.

Wouldn't be opposed to a new game for the new systems either. Hopefully they would move on from the Unity engine to something more stable.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Anyone want to help me trying to play today's DSP Society round in asynchronous, multiplayer mode using "Turn Enabled"? A lot of people are now discovering this game and are asking how they can play multiplayer with friends in Society rounds and I'm trying to help a few of them out. It's been a while since I've done it and I wanted to make sure I guided them correctly by walking through it again myself.

I'm completing the installation of a ductless HVAC system in my house today so it will probably be later tonight before I'll be able to play. Anyone up for this between say 10 PM and 12 AM EDT tonight?

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I’ll try to be available to play my Society round tonight with you John.

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am 3 hours behind you John. If it helps to have a threesome with Mark or four, I could show up around 19:30 PST.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:I’ll try to be available to play my Society round tonight with you John.

-MERACE
Mark, how about you, James and I tee off at 10:30 PM EDT? I'll start a party and invite you two, and we'll go from there. Look for invites from me between 10:20 & 10:25 PM EDT.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:
MERACE wrote:I’ll try to be available to play my Society round tonight with you John.

-MERACE
Mark, how about you, James and I tee off at 10:30 PM EDT? I'll start a party and invite you two, and we'll go from there. Look for invites from me between 10:20 & 10:25 PM EDT.
Ok, sounds good. :)

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Thanks for your help in joining me for the turn enabled Society multiplayer round last night Mark and James. It worked better than I've ever experienced in terms of syncing up... I've never seen three players sync after the opening tee shots before. I tried to describe how we did it in a post that I shared with people who were asking how to do it on the offcial forum and Operation Sports Golf forum. Here's what I came up with, but I was wanting to see if you guys could add something or clarify what you saw from your end to it. I have a feeling I may have called a menu or menu choice by the wrong name:

Okay, I played a Society round last night with 2 other fellow Society members and it actually worked better than ever. We all hit our tee shots off the first tee pretty much simultaneously, but then got to see the other two players hit their tee shots after we'd done so. We were fully in sync and playing by turn order from that point on!

Here's what we did:

1.) I loaded up TGC 2019 and went to the Society menu. I then went to the event for the day and launched it all the way up to the player selection screen for the round.

2.) I then started a "party" on XBox Live. When I saw that the other two players I planned to play with were online, I invited them to both my party and game.

3.) Once both players had joined my party, they went to the player selection screen for the same round. After they'd done so, I went to player 2 to add player, and selected "Add Rival". Both players showed up in my "Add Rivals" menu. I selected one and then added the other using "Add Rival" as player 3.

4.) Then we all selected "Begin Round" after we'd all done the same thing with the "Add Rival" selection.

5.) Before any of us hit a shot, we hit the start button to bring up a menu which included "Group" as one of its sub-menus. In the "Group" menu is a column (last one on the right) called "Add Player" or "Add to Group" and once again clicked on it to add rival (or it might just have listed the names of the players that was already in the game/party) and I selected each of their names and added to the group. Make sure you check the box called "Turn Enabled" while you're on this menu (it's in the lower right hand corner of the main menu on this same page, IIRC), if you want to play turn base play, which it sounds like you're trying to do. All players need to select turn enabled for this to work.

6.) After doing this, both players now showed up in the scoring/status screen in the upper left corner of the main HUD.

7.) We all hit our tee shots off the first tee before we could see the other players hit theirs, but once we did, we could see them hit their tee shots in virtual tape delay. From that point on, we played full turn order, with what appeared to be a 3 for 4 second delay between the actions of your opponents, and the actual animation of those actions on the screen. IOW, you'll know when they miss a four foot par putt before you actually see the putt roll if you're in voice comms with them :)

Let me add that there might be some overkill (duplication of steps to add rivals) in the process we used last night, but I do know that it worked better than ever in terms of execution and efficiency.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Nice win fsquid... -6 at Kings Wood Open is a heck of a score. I struggled to come in at +1 there last night! I tell you what though, that is one beautiful course that Antiparosjez has created there. I swear sometimes it looks like he's got his own custom objects supply 8O

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Joz (Major Bubs) lit the scoreboard up at Rolling Green Country Club last night with a 58! I managed to tie 10spro for second at 62. Zlax posted a 28 on the back 9 to finish with a 68. The whole field scored well in this one and I enjoyed going after Joz's score. His ghost ball was part of my group and I never looked at the leaderboard in between holes, so I didn't have advanced knowledge of his final score. When I reached to final par 5 in two, leaving myself an 8 foot eagle putt, and then 3-putted for par while he was birdying to hole, I knew it was over. It was fun watching some long birdie putts drop from the ghost balls in my group though... that was electric!

Today we're playing the Daily at Cats Paw Trace. It's getting a lot of buzz in the official forum and with its default conditions has a surrealistic, dark bronze sky. I've seen some screens of it and it's just a very unique looking, yet realistic track.

I went ahead and set TPC Lousiana Open (FIXED) for this week's 36 holer, since the TOUR would have been there this week. Tauno Palo is one of the top designers in the game and TPC Lousiana might be his best RCR he's ever made. This course is certainly in my top 20 for TGC 2019.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

From The Golf Club 2019's official Twitter page:

Tune in tomorrow as @PGATOUR stars @collin_morikawa and @carlosortizGolf throw down in #TGC2019! The virtual challenge will air tomorrow at 12pm ET / 9am PT on PGA TOUR digital platforms, including https://bit.ly/2S10c3M, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and GOLFTV.

https://twitter.com/thegolfclubgame/sta ... 5754861568

I think I'll start with YouTube and if that doesn't work, back to Twitter. GOLFTV isn't available in the USA yet, according to their web page. This will be worth a look-see though. I'd actually only heard the names of both golfers mentioned before, but would not have been able to look at their picture and tell you who it was.

The biggest surprise to me is that they aren't playing it on one of the officially licensed PGA TOUR courses; they're playing it at Tauno Palo's brilliant rendition of TPC Louisiana (TPC Louisiana TOUR FIXED, where we're playing our DSP Society tournament this week). I guess they're trying to follow NASCAR's lead and go with the site where the IRL event would have been for this week.

I'm curious to see how they handle the asynchronous mode lag in a live broadcast. It's going to confuse viewers when they hear a reaction from the golfers to something that is going to show up on their screens at least 5 seconds later... I'm sure the network broadcast lag will add more delay, but it will probably delay the audio and the animation.

I wish them the best with this though and hope it goes well. I don't know how they could ever pull anything off with this game on as massive a scale as eNASCAR with iRacing. The game's just not built to support a full broadcast environment with multiple players in action all over the course. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that this goes well!
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

J_Cauthen wrote:Nice win fsquid... -6 at Kings Wood Open is a heck of a score. I struggled to come in at +1 there last night! I tell you what though, that is one beautiful course that Antiparosjez has created there. I swear sometimes it looks like he's got his own custom objects supply 8O
I made putts, then I went and finished last in the next tournament!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:Nice win fsquid... -6 at Kings Wood Open is a heck of a score. I struggled to come in at +1 there last night! I tell you what though, that is one beautiful course that Antiparosjez has created there. I swear sometimes it looks like he's got his own custom objects supply 8O
I made putts, then I went and finished last in the next tournament!
Yeah, but you won again last night at Cat's Paw Trace! Good win in a hotly contested tournament!

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

I didn't play yesterday's event but am looking forward to TPC Louisiana for the weekend. This is a tough group and not to worry my shoulders are sore from holding up the field at bottom :lol: but learning the swing a little more each day.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Greensboronclion wrote:I didn't play yesterday's event but am looking forward to TPC Louisiana for the weekend. This is a tough group and not to worry my shoulders are sore from holding up the field at bottom :lol: but learning the swing a little more each day.
Finally someone has taken over my spot in last place
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Zlax45 wrote:
Greensboronclion wrote:I didn't play yesterday's event but am looking forward to TPC Louisiana for the weekend. This is a tough group and not to worry my shoulders are sore from holding up the field at bottom :lol: but learning the swing a little more each day.
Finally someone has taken over my spot in last place

I got it covered. :lol: