The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

I just got through listening to a TSN 1290 interview with The Golf Club 2019's Executive Producer, Shaun West. The interview was triggered by the renewed interest in video games, and particularly sports video games. It's a 12 minute interview and it's really professionally done, but for the first 11 minutes and 40 seconds it rehashes what most of us already know about the game... things get really interesting in the final 40 seconds, when Shaun is asked:

Is there another Golf Club coming up in the future?" Shaun's response started out like I thought it would with "I assumed you would ask me that and right now we don't have any info (or news... there's a warp in the audio and I can't tell whether he said info or news - I could hear both of them depending on how I'm listening) about what we're working on". We've read that here in the forum on a couple of occasions.

What I totally didn't expect to hear was what he followed that up with: "but you can stay tuned and I think there's some cool stuff coming up that we're in the works with... with 2K and PGA TOUR on to get some new content out there" :o

Now let the discussions of what he meant by "new content" begin, as I struggled right away with whether he meant new game, or new DLC PGA TOUR courses and possibly PGA Tour player models incorporated into the game? Either way, it's good to hear something new is coming, although I'm hoping strongly that it's a new game, updated with the thought of the XBox Series X and PS5 in mind!

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/ ... -1.1464491

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I just got through listening to a TSN 1290 interview with The Golf Club 2019's Executive Producer, Shaun West. The interview was triggered by the renewed interest in video games, and particularly sports video games. It's a 12 minute interview and it's really professionally done, but for the first 11 minutes and 40 seconds it rehashes what most of us already know about the game... things get really interesting in the final 40 seconds, when Shaun is asked:

Is there another Golf Club coming up in the future?" Shaun's response started out like I thought it would with "I assumed you would ask me that and right now we don't have any info (or news... there's a warp in the audio and I can't tell whether he said info or news - I could hear both of them depending on how I'm listening) about what we're working on". We've read that here in the forum on a couple of occasions.

What I totally didn't expect to hear was what he followed that up with: "but you can stay tuned and I think there's some cool stuff coming up that we're in the works with... with 2K and PGA TOUR on to get some new content out there" :o

Now let the discussions of what he meant by "new content" begin, as I struggled right away with whether he meant new game, or new DLC PGA TOUR courses and possibly PGA Tour player models incorporated into the game? Either way, it's good to hear something new is coming, although I'm hoping strongly that it's a new game, updated with the thought of the XBox Series X and PS5 in mind!

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/ ... -1.1464491
This game is a little old but I don't think I have ever put in 225 rounds in a golf game before this one.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It was definitely an interesting course. I didn't have too many problems w/ the elevation calculations and got a few good bounces.

I'll likely never play it again tho...fantasy courses are just too bizarre for me.
I'd say you didn't have any problems with the elevation calculations... or anything else in the -8 round you posted - sssssssooooonn, that is killing it on that course. You put 14 strokes between you and second place in that one... phenomenal round!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm putting Firethorn National (the clv24's renamed "Magnolia National") course on the schedule for what would have been this week's Masters. I'm going to tag it a Major to give it a little extra weight. I'll stick to the two rounds over four days convention we've started, as we seem to get a little more completed tournaments that way.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I figured I’d post this here for you guys :D Since it’s Masters week I played Firethorn on my simulator yesterday and shot a super round. Keep in mind, I had the greens on SLOW with no wind. Be sure to watch my approach shot on #7. Enjoy. And yes, my username on my sim is Bake McBride.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I sucked last weekend playing that course on the TGC Tour and I sucked again playing it this afternoon for this one. I just can't do the greens, not good enough or it doesn't fit my game

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:I sucked last weekend playing that course on the TGC Tour and I sucked again playing it this afternoon for this one. I just can't do the greens, not good enough or it doesn't fit my game
You talking about Firethorn National or Domino Links? I'm all over the park at Firethorn (Augusta), but I consistently sucked at Domino. I had three 3-putt greens and 2 4-putt greens. I blew up and went "Daly" on the last hole at Domino and got a 'shot limit exceeded' on the last hole. I was seething from a 4-putt green on 17, from 16 feet :oops:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Guys, I screwed up the settings for this weekend's Masters. I forgot to extend the duration from 1 to 4 days, so the current tournament will end at 4AM tomorrow. I'll set a new Masters tournament for tomorrow that will run 3 days and will still contain our usual 2 rounds. Sorry about that!

Also, I'd like to introduce our newest member, GreensboroRob to the DSP Society. Some of you may know him from his participation in various golf game forums. Rob's coming over to TGC from a heavy run with Perfect Golf. Welcome to the fold Rob!

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Diablo25 wrote:I figured I’d post this here for you guys :D Since it’s Masters week I played Firethorn on my simulator yesterday and shot a super round. Keep in mind, I had the greens on SLOW with no wind. Be sure to watch my approach shot on #7. Enjoy. And yes, my username on my sim is Bake McBride.
What is your simulator setup?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My launch monitor is a Skytrak. I hit into a net and my gaming laptop projects it thru a 43” TV I have right next to the mat.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

J_Cauthen wrote:
fsquid wrote:I sucked last weekend playing that course on the TGC Tour and I sucked again playing it this afternoon for this one. I just can't do the greens, not good enough or it doesn't fit my game
You talking about Firethorn National or Domino Links? I'm all over the park at Firethorn (Augusta), but I consistently sucked at Domino. I had three 3-putt greens and 2 4-putt greens. I blew up and went "Daly" on the last hole at Domino and got a 'shot limit exceeded' on the last hole. I was seething from a 4-putt green on 17, from 16 feet :oops:

Firethron, I'm just never on the right side of where I need to be on the greens.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

J_Cauthen wrote:I'm putting Firethorn National (the clv24's renamed "Magnolia National") course on the schedule for what would have been this week's Masters. I'm going to tag it a Major to give it a little extra weight. I'll stick to the two rounds over four days convention we've started, as we seem to get a little more completed tournaments that way.
It looks like you've got a good setup there. Is Skytrack the most popular choice right now in the simulation world?

One thing that I think about as I watch people play using launch simulators is this... how much of a hassle is it set mess with the interface between shots so as to select club, shot type, aim, etc.? Whatever the case, it looks like you were enjoying yourself with what I've seen of the video so far. I'm going to watch it all the way through later today. It looks like such a great escape!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DSP Society members, I've got the new Firethorn (Augusta) National tournament set and it's underway presently. It's 36 holes and is now properly set to run 3 days. Sorry for not double checking that in my original tournament creation on Wednesday night. I set the pins to 3 and 4, and changed the wind from default to "Medium" in round 1 and "Low" in round 2. I also changed the wind direction to North for round 1 and South for round 2.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:I'm putting Firethorn National (the clv24's renamed "Magnolia National") course on the schedule for what would have been this week's Masters. I'm going to tag it a Major to give it a little extra weight. I'll stick to the two rounds over four days convention we've started, as we seem to get a little more completed tournaments that way.
It looks like you've got a good setup there. Is Skytrack the most popular choice right now in the simulation world?

One thing that I think about as I watch people play using launch simulators is this... how much of a hassle is it set mess with the interface between shots so as to select club, shot type, aim, etc.? Whatever the case, it looks like you were enjoying yourself with what I've seen of the video so far. I'm going to watch it all the way through later today. It looks like such a great escape!
I believe Skytrak is the best combo of price and function. There are better launch monitors but the are ridiculously priced. Then there are cheaper ones that are just bare bones. As far as setting shots up....it’s a piece of cake. I have all the hot keys for TGC listed right next to my Tv. Setting up shots is just like in the game. Align the cursor where you want the shot to go then execute it. Putting...same. Read the green then hit the putt. Takes minimal effort to do those things. Plus you don’t have to get in your cart, drive to your shot. As you can see in the video I can play a round of 18 in under an hour.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Awww man, I wanted to see this thing in action. Video unavailable!
Diablo25 wrote:I figured I’d post this here for you guys :D Since it’s Masters week I played Firethorn on my simulator yesterday and shot a super round. Keep in mind, I had the greens on SLOW with no wind. Be sure to watch my approach shot on #7. Enjoy. And yes, my username on my sim is Bake McBride.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

DChaps wrote:Awww man, I wanted to see this thing in action. Video unavailable!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBe7mY8sZg
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Thanks for the invite and hello to all. As for the golf well let's just say in round 2 at Firethorn on number 7 I thought I was at 7Eleven as I fired an 11 on the hole. Lol. Enjoyed it tho and look forward to the next event.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Greensboronclion wrote:Thanks for the invite and hello to all. As for the golf well let's just say in round 2 at Firethorn on number 7 I thought I was at 7Eleven as I fired an 11 on the hole. Lol. Enjoyed it tho and look forward to the next event.
My second round was a disaster also and the conditions were not that difficult. No clue why

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:Thanks for the invite and hello to all. As for the golf well let's just say in round 2 at Firethorn on number 7 I thought I was at 7Eleven as I fired an 11 on the hole. Lol. Enjoyed it tho and look forward to the next event.
Rob, I was playing with your ghost ball, among a few others, and I saw you were tallying a few strokes on that hole, but you were only at "5" when I tapped in for par. On the next hole I noticed you were suddenly like +9!? I've had more than my share of 11s and 12s here recently, so I can relate. I got a "shot limit exceeded" ruling on the 18th hole of our last tournament :oops: It happens, but it makes me respect the game more knowing that it can make me lose my cool probably worse than the real thing!

Oh, I tallied a triple bogey 6 on the 12th hole. I tried to loft an 8-iron to the 20 feet of landing space in front of the pin. I had a slow backswing with a perfect downswing, and well... you know the rest. I missed a 2 foot putt for a double bogey there, to add insult to injury.

I was five over par for the round at that point. I then eagled 13 from 12 feet, parred 14 from 10 feet, birdied 15, and had an epic, 15 feet past the pin landing on 15, from which the ball slowly trickled back down the hill and fall for an ace. I parred 17 and then chipped in from just off the green for a birdie on 18. It was the best stretch of 6 holes I've played in months.

Joz (Major Bubs) beat the field by double digits in this one. I think he shot like a 64 in the final round? The course played tough, even though I had the wind set to low. Those Augusta National round 4 pin placements took their toll on me in the first 12 holes.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:
My second round was a disaster also and the conditions were not that difficult. No clue why
Zlax, I think it was the pin placements. I know shooting at the pin on 12 was a bad idea, but I went for it anyway. I started off with a 3-putt bogey on 1 because I didn't respect that pin, and let my right to left breaking downhill 35 foot putt for birdie, finish up 20 feet below the hole. I was thinking make not "lag" over that treacherous birdie attempt. I deserved what I got though :D

I'd forgotten what a magnificent recreation of Augusta National this course is... even handicapped by the limits of HB Studios' theme concept, theclv24 managed to capture the flavor of AN! 8)

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

The 7th hole was a total disaster. I hit good tee shot but 2nd ended up in right side bunker which I then hit my 3rd long and had tough downhill putt which I thought I hit great putt but just kept rolling back into trap. I then repeated the whole sequence again and then left shot in trap before hitting away from hole to get different putt. It carried over to #8 where I was on in 2 and proceeded to 5 putt. You can't a mistake on that course and if you do it smacks you right in the face. Good fun tho and just got to get better.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rob, I've had that same scenario happen to me on the 7th at AN. I'm always thinking "how do I make par" when I play that hole. I know I never want to leave myself a downhill putt on that hole!

I should remind you that our current formal for Society events is to have 18 hole tournaments Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and then we'll play a 36 hole event over Thursday through Sunday. We were doing 72 hole tournaments over that four day span earlier, but the consensus was that was getting to be a bit much. We're getting more multi-round tournament completions now as a result.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Got it. Played today's event and had a couple bad holes but made some birdies also. As for number 7 at AN it's always been a tough par for me on any game as it's just real hard to hit that green and very tricky to putt there.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Today's Daily is at Bandon Dunes 2019 (LiDAR). This was a very popular course in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 7 and it's also getting a lot of praise from those I know who've played it.

Just curious, have any of you noticed how much longer it takes to load the Society up and get a course to load once you've selected the tournament now? It seems like a lot more people are playing this game now since the COVID-19 lockdown and it's taking its toll on the servers. I also noticed that I get more "perfect/very slow" tempos now. I'm having to be extra cautious during backswings, looking for any stutter or hitch in the animation, knowing that more often than not, when I try to complete a shot that begins that way, it's going to have a much higher likelihood of an out of whack tempo :?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot, I battled you tooth and nail for that tournament last night. You holed an eagle putt on the back nine from the parking lot and that's when I knew it was on! I really liked Baanne Resort as a course; it was a very unique, natural creation!