The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by Danimal »

If this last course is your guys idea of fun then I'm not good enough to have the same fun. Some of the holes were ridiculous and I loved how on one hole I putted the ball uphill past the hole and it rolled back below the hole for a 5 footer.

Changes to the game make it feel like TGC 2 and that is not a good thing in my opinion. Yeah flop shots now spin back but you sometimes end up at a distance where your between shot types. You can't hit the ball well out of the rough anymore if this last course is any indication. Also it appears they speed up the greens, again my sample size is this last ridiculous course.

I was enjoying this game, minus the no receptive greens and my 3 rounds (I couldn't stomach a 4th) this weekend are making me shelf it. I've got too much other good stuff to play.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:If this last course is your guys idea of fun then I'm not good enough to have the same fun. Some of the holes were ridiculous and I loved how on one hole I putted the ball uphill past the hole and it rolled back below the hole for a 5 footer.

Changes to the game make it feel like TGC 2 and that is not a good thing in my opinion. Yeah flop shots now spin back but you sometimes end up at a distance where your between shot types. You can't hit the ball well out of the rough anymore if this last course is any indication. Also it appears they speed up the greens, again my sample size is this last ridiculous course.

I was enjoying this game, minus the no receptive greens and my 3 rounds (I couldn't stomach a 4th) this weekend are making me shelf it. I've got too much other good stuff to play.
My best round at Valmont was +6. It was a sight to behold aesthetically, but it played like a fantasy course. It was built to be a difficult course and push elite players to break par, but it did feel 'tricked up' to me in a lot of places. I'll take care not to put an over the top, fantasy course in the mix again, at least in my time filling in the admin role. I didn't enjoy getting beaten down in this tournament either... this course broke my will :? I only chose it because it was an Arctic Fury course, who usually releases playable course.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm not asking you to change it for me if everyone enjoys it and it was beautiful looking but man it felt tricked up a lot.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

No, it was tricked up... I probably wouldn't have picked it to play had I known it was that tricked up. I selected it based on Arctic Fury's reputation and the playability of most of his courses. Jupitor Ridge might be the best playing course in the game.

Dan, try out today's DSP 18 holer at Holyoke Links. It's a believable layout that's reasonably challenging to play. The green speed is moderate, as is the terrain and green firmness. I enjoyed my round there today, even though I posted a score that I know isn't going to stand up. I couldn't blame any missed shot on a trick in the course design or construction though.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'll give it a shot, thanks JC!
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Valmont would have been OK as a single round daily, 4 rounds was a bit much.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Valmont would have been OK as a single round daily, 4 rounds was a bit much.
Yeah... agreed now that I've played Valmont, but then again, I believe I recall seeing Tim at something like -6 through nine holes or so of the first round, which is phenomenal! He apparently didn't finish out anything beyond round 1 because I never saw his name on the leaderboard from the second round on. Tim, you doing okay? I know I haven't seen you posting much here over the past two weeks...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Sorry guys, but I simply forgot to set a tournament for Tuesday. I'll get back on it this afternoon and set one for Wednesday and then Thursday through Sunday, if Vader's still taking a respite.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yesterdays course was much better, I can see for the guys shooting -13 that is must be too easy I'm just not at that level or not using the right techniques because I still have chips that I unexpectedly blade. Call me crazy but a perfect / perfect straight chip that is supposed to go 12 yards and ends up going 26 yards, well I just don't get it. I guess they want you to use feel like in real golf but that is kind of hard with a thumb stick.

I've also seen some of the contraptions online for getting perfect shots, I wonder how many people in the official tours do this. Amazing what 2 popsicle sticks and some tape can do.

Anyway I enjoyed that round much more, I still feel like they did something to putting. It felt perfect at release, I wasn't crunching numbers I was just looking at break and if it was uphill or down hill and making a lot of putts or leaving it close. I felt like it was the best putting model I've ever played. Well just 4 rounds after the patch I don't feel that way and I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe the adjust how much the ball breaks because they certainly ratcheted up the wind effect on ball flight.

I'll still play the game but I felt like it was almost perfect before and now they fixed the one thing that needed fixing but tinkered with other things and idk, just not feeling the same.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

That was a heck of a round Diablo... good win! Holyoke is gettable, but now that way I'm playing over the last month. I did manage to get a round up today at 3:30 PM EDT at Coeur De Alene... see if you can top my perfect/very fast, very slow/perfect tee shot at the island green par three, where I limped off with a 7 :oops: Man I suck of late, but still having fun playing the game :? :)

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Having fun recalibrating my swing with the Master Clubs. I'm curious, are most of you already using Master?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:That was a heck of a round Diablo... good win! Holyoke is gettable, but now that way I'm playing over the last month. I did manage to get a round up today at 3:30 PM EDT at Coeur De Alene... see if you can top my perfect/very fast, very slow/perfect tee shot at the island green par three, where I limped off with a 7 :oops: Man I suck of late, but still having fun playing the game :? :)
Thanks! Finally got a win :). Caught a lot of breaks and I’ve been swinging the club well. Been in a good groove lately.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:That was a heck of a round Diablo... good win! Holyoke is gettable, but now that way I'm playing over the last month. I did manage to get a round up today at 3:30 PM EDT at Coeur De Alene... see if you can top my perfect/very fast, very slow/perfect tee shot at the island green par three, where I limped off with a 7 :oops: Man I suck of late, but still having fun playing the game :? :)
Thanks! Finally got a win :). Caught a lot of breaks and I’ve been swinging the club well. Been in a good groove lately.
Are you one of those guys with popsicle sticks that Danimal mentioned? :twisted:

Awesome shooting dude...

I enjoyed today’s course JC. Despite me going into the sea three times due to my fast/slow tempo, I thought the course speed was fair.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote: Are you one of those guys with popsicle sticks that Danimal mentioned? :twisted:
I've played with his ghost at times, he is definitely not cheating. :D
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
vader29 wrote:Valmont would have been OK as a single round daily, 4 rounds was a bit much.
Yeah... agreed now that I've played Valmont, but then again, I believe I recall seeing Tim at something like -6 through nine holes or so of the first round, which is phenomenal! He apparently didn't finish out anything beyond round 1 because I never saw his name on the leaderboard from the second round on. Tim, you doing okay? I know I haven't seen you posting much here over the past two weeks...
Hey JC and others.

Yeah, I have played 9 holes in the past 3 weeks. Health issues all over again, related to both cancer and non-cancer.. I’m on the sidelines, but I’m trying to get my rounds in this week.

Thank you for asking, and I’ll add more to the prostate cancer thread.

Tim

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Does the weekend tournament end earlier now? Just couldn’t finish it as I got back in town this afternoon, wanted to play the last three rounds but it prompted me to a daily.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Does the weekend tournament end earlier now? Just couldn’t finish it as I got back in town this afternoon, wanted to play the last three rounds but it prompted me to a daily.
I got my start dates and times screwed up when I set last Tuesday's Daily, early in the afternoon. I didn't recognized that the end date for the weekly was actually going to end the tournament on Sunday morning rather than Monday morning. I'll make sure I don't fall into that trap again.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I kind of gave up this weekend, they set the rough and sand play back to TGC 2 standards and it was enough to make me not want to play this game. Every change they made kind of shifted this game closer to TGC 2 which I guess is what people wanted.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I kind of gave up this weekend, they set the rough and sand play back to TGC 2 standards and it was enough to make me not want to play this game. Every change they made kind of shifted this game closer to TGC 2 which I guess is what people wanted.
I agree that the carry loss changes to the heavy rough (light rough is fine, IMO) and bunkers, especially bunkers that are rolled into, were both extreme... almost to TGC 2 levels. There have been a number of complaints about it in the official forum. HBS is reportedly working on a patch that will include changes to the swing tuning. I'm getting the idea that they are going to tweak some of the overly punitive heavy rough and clean bunker lie issues.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote: I agree that the carry loss changes to the heavy rough (light rough is fine, IMO) and bunkers, especially bunkers that are rolled into, were both extreme... almost to TGC 2 levels. There have been a number of complaints about it in the official forum. HBS is reportedly working on a patch that will include changes to the swing tuning. I'm getting the idea that they are going to tweak some of the overly punitive heavy rough and clean bunker lie issues.
That's good I guess, I just wonder what kind of game they are aiming for. Years ago I couldn't hit out of the rough or sand, I would club up and then the ball would go no where because I'm trying to hit a 5 iron out of a lie that is impossible, where a 7 iron would get me further. Today I'm a better golfer, so I can play out of these conditions better but there are still times when you just need to take your punishment for a bad lie. PGA golfers can generally hit the ball out of almost any conditions, the good ones anyway.

There is the problem in my onscreen avatar a armature, a semi-pro and PGA golfer? The absence of stats which I'm fine with and the only differential being clubs makes it hard to figure out TGC identity. I still don't get why club distances change on level, it should just be hard to hit them, not a distance advantage. I'll never understand the logic in this other than harder clubs should have a reward, when in fact harder clubs should be there for the challenge.

The second issue is you really don't know your lie. It will say heavy or light rough or sand and you can look at a bunker sometimes and say I need to hit a short iron or I will hit the lip but other than that you get a a name and percentage. Heavy rough 65-75%. So i have a 120 yard shot, my club is going to go relatively half it's normal distance so I would need to his something 210 to get there.

Let's examine this scenario, in TGC 2 I am on the PGA tour, do you know a PGA player that has to hit a hyrbid out of the rough from 120 yards? Now from a game play standpoint, I do all the math my ball should go the distance and it end up going 105 yards. Why? Is the club choice affected by the lie? I don't know the game doesn't give any indication this is happening but it must be.

As I said before my only problem at launch was green receptiveness, now I have a list of issues that all where present in TGC 2. I feel like this is the case of HBS listening to their fans and trying to please everyone and yes I know this includes me. Pick a vision and stick with it, if you want this to be a PGA game then make my guy capable of hitting a 140 yard shot out of the rough, because this amateur hack can do it on the weekends in real life.
Follow Me on:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

DivotMaker wrote:Hey JC and others.

Yeah, I have played 9 holes in the past 3 weeks. Health issues all over again, related to both cancer and non-cancer.. I’m on the sidelines, but I’m trying to get my rounds in this week.

Thank you for asking, and I’ll add more to the prostate cancer thread.

Tim
Hey Tim, our thoughts and prayers are with you brother. Keep fighting like you have been. If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

-Don

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote: Hey Tim, our thoughts and prayers are with you brother. Keep fighting like you have been. If there is anything we can do, please let us know.
-Don
Yeah Don, it's been a week since I've heard anything from Tim. I'm praying that all will be well with him and he'll be back trudging the virtual links with us again soon!

Tim, if you're tuned into to this - stay strong brother and know that we are praying for your full recovery!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Indeed, thinking of you as well hope all is well...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Our 72 hole tournament this week is at J.W. Fickett's Atlantic Inn & Beach Club. J.W. is known for hit detailed topography sculpting. This one took its toll on me in round one, on the first par 5 hole (I think it's the fourth hole). I was 16 yards away from the pin in two, hitting a flop shot with a lob wedge from the heavy rough between the bunker on the right front and the green. I had the ball return back to my feet twice, after not getting enough of it.

I have serious problems getting consistent tempo with flop shots... anyone else?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:Our 72 hole tournament this week is at J.W. Fickett's Atlantic Inn & Beach Club. J.W. is known for hit detailed topography sculpting. This one took its toll on me in round one, on the first par 5 hole (I think it's the fourth hole). I was 16 yards away from the pin in two, hitting a flop shot with a lob wedge from the heavy rough between the bunker on the right front and the green. I had the ball return back to my feet twice, after not getting enough of it.

I have serious problems getting consistent tempo with flop shots... anyone else?
Are you saying people will be rage quitting this weekend John? 8) I find the accuracy on my flops shots somewhat misleading. If I am on the sand trap at 70% or less deep in the sand, I should lose some yardage yet it seems that the ball carries a bit further than what the conditions warns you to be in that particular case.

From the rough it simply just sails on me, again hard to judge the distance with the default clubs that you’re given so it’s all about feel and correct tempo. In most cases I am at fast/slow with flops shots.