The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

greggsand wrote:So when it comes to picking the type of clubs, it’s (something like) rookie, pro, master, etc.. I choose Pro, but I have no idea what the differences are. Anyone?
The key differences in club sets are the carry and the sensitivity to swing path errors and tempo variances. With the beginner clubs, the driver carry is like 254 yards, with the Pro it's 268 yards, and the Master clubs it's 284 yards. The rest of the clubs you can pretty much scale from the driver carry.

The beginner clubs are very forgiving of swing path and tempo errors. You have to try to hit a bad shot almost. Pro clubs ratchet the effect of swing path and tempo errors up a bit, and it probably a good place for most gamers to start. Master clubs get considerably more intolerant of swing path errors, particularly in the short game. They are also more punitive of tempo errors in terms of both hooking and slicing, as well as loss of distance on slow and very slow errors, as well as adding distance on fast tempo errors in the downswing.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Good lord what was that course today? twice I hit a ball that didn't go in the water but I was forced to take a drop
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:
10spro wrote:I saw the black screen on/off in my second round with the odd choppiness and dare I say some frame rate issues. Was slightly better in the third round where it was nice to see some rain.
I played my third round last night and saw major frame rate issues... like averaging in the mid to high teens in the FPS department. It was royally screwing up my tempo, as in lucky to shoot an 82. I rebooted my XBox One X twice to try to remedy it, to no avail. I haven't tried it today yet, but I will and I'll report back.

I'm trying to imagine how server or connectivity issues could affect frame rate that bad? I thought once all the hole data was loaded, it resided locally in RAM and was played out from there??
I was having the same issue and it was also the same playing in my other Society (Open).

Thankfully, it was only temporary because I had to quit playing as it was that bad. :(

-MERACE

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Patch #2 and DLC Course coming out Thursday of this week.
The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR will be releasing patch 2 on Thursday, October 4th on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Below includes a new featured course along with patch notes for the release. HB Studios and 2K are also announcing today that the physical disc release will be available in November 2018!

Atlantic Beach Country Club – Host of the 2018 web.com TOUR Championship can be found along the beautiful Florida Coast. The course features 18 holes playing 6,815 yards and is inviting to all levels of player. Come challenge yourself in The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR, now including an official replication of Atlantic Beach Country Club and the web.com Tour Championship!

General
• Fixed the menu background moving unnecessarily when switching between the main menu and the character editor.
• Added support for viewing the clubs of ghosts from the View Golfer menu.
• Added support for editing local guests directly from the Character Editor button in the main menu, when there are local guests in the user's golf group.
• Added support for local guests to edit and customize their clubs in the character editor, via the Edit Golfer button in the popup when clicking the guest's name in the match setup screen.
• Fixed hangs related to rapidly navigating leader boards.
• Fixed incorrect capping of handicaps.
• Expanded character customization options. Available skin tone options expanded. New licensed clothing added including PGA TOUR and Tattoo Golf Hats.
• Improved stability throughout gameplay and course designer.
Gameplay
• Fixed a framerate hitch that could occur shortly after entering gameplay.
• Fixed the hole cup casting a shadow on the ground.
• Fixed certain cases of terrain shadow flickering on hole 9 of Kipahulu Reserve.
• Fixed the "Club Only" shot suggestion setting not working properly.
• Improved lighting and wind effect on trees.
Societies
• Fixed users not being able to join private online societies.
• Fixed the display of Society Purse payout for first prize.
• Fixed issue of Online Society restrictions carrying over and overwriting the round 2 settings if advancing from the end of round screen.
• Fixed mini leaderboard not showing the users score if they’re outside of the top 5.
• Fixed mini leaderboard between rounds displaying totals for the event.
• Fixed mini leaderboard to properly display the users rank for the round/event.
Career
• Fixed FedExCup Points not being rewarded correctly in the season Championship.
• Users will now play in the final groupings throughout Career and Solo Societies.
Matchmaking/Private Match
• Added Support for Wagers Playlist for users to play Skins matches in matchmaking.
• Fixed awarding of points in points-based skins when there is a carry-over skin from a previous hole.
• Fixed users in a party being split up when playing team based matchmaking games.
• Fixed Skins matches ending when one user quits before the end of the round.
Course Creator
• Fixed entry/exit flows when transitioning between tools.
• Replace incorrect sign icons.
• Updated button callouts to address missing icons.
• Fixed the green grid to refresh when making height edits on a course.
• Fixed alternate surface's secondary options to be correctly based off of the primary surfaces type
• Fixed brush dragging to create a smooth look after generating.
• Fixed scale speeds when toggling between advanced mode and normal mode for objects and brushes.
• Fixed brushes to no longer have their scale reset when entering and exiting brush tools.
• Fixed height brushes to no longer have their height value change when entering and exiting the tools.
• New Course flow sets the values for a theme properly before your first edit. Fixes issues of disappearing water on some themes.
• Fixed the overwriting of course thumbnails with every save.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... 080.0.html

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

So no fixes to the code for short irons? All of the talk about the crap short iron play from you cats has scared me from a purchase for now.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:So no fixes to the code for short irons? All of the talk about the crap short iron play from you cats has scared me from a purchase for now.
It's real. Hasn't changed since the first game. In fact, it's gotten worse with the lack of spin. Literally impossible to stop the short irons on the green, they just keep rolling. You have to aim for the fringe to get any type of stoppage on shots. It's ridiculous. Every shot has to be short or you're in trouble.

disclaimer: I suck at the game so maybe it's me

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I could make wedge shots stick to the greens like Velcro with proper backspin in the first game. Not quite as grippy in the second game but still felt realistic.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

We will be making adjustments to the ball flights via the server once the patch has been released. The patch will be required for us to make the changes we want to push out. We're also putting a lot of testing into these changes before they're rolled out to the live build. I will provide an update once these are available.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... ote=318985

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good to hear, Tim. I really want to buy TGC 2019, but not until these problems are fixed. Thanks.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Furthermore......
Let's keep the speculation to a minimum, now that we have things in place and a timeline for the patch. Here's what I can confirm for you, on the gameplay side of things, that wasn't covered in the patch notes - because these changes will be updated via the server after the patch goes live. We're targeting next week for the following gameplay tunings going live:

- Trajectories and RPMs increased to align with PGA apex's and spin rates.
- Surface penalty tunings to reduce the launch speed and spin rates for light rough, heavy rough, and bunkers. These should play between TGC2 and TGC2019 release values.
- Shot shaper distance affects (loss/gain) reduced to a more realistic range.
- Accompanying this will be all of the distance charts for base/min/max loft, for all clubs, for all 3 sets. So all the folks who spent the time charting things out already, don't have to do it again.

Now, again, this is the plan. We want to get this to you guys asap, but we also want to make sure it's solid before we do so. It's a significant change so bear with us while we get right.

Further swing difficulty tuning is something we're waiting for feedback on with the new club tunings before we push forward with that aspect of gameplay updates.

We are listening/reading. I'm on here every single day. I just don't engage that often because A) I have limited bandwidth with all the tuning and changes on the go and B) I refuse to promise or commit to something until its a sure thing. I hope you guys can understand that.

I look forward to getting these changes in your hands and hearing all of your feedback.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... n.html#new

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

1) Patch is out.

2) Don't look for swing or ball physics improvements until next week when they roll this out through their servers.

3) We need to do a better job setting up tournaments. "Default" conditions suck and minimize the challenge of most courses. I am willing to help set the conditions as an Admin as needed.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

DivotMaker wrote:1) Patch is out.

2) Don't look for swing or ball physics improvements until next week when they roll this out through their servers.

3) We need to do a better job setting up tournaments. "Default" conditions suck and minimize the challenge of most courses. I am willing to help set the conditions as an Admin as needed.
Added you as an admin. I will take a break from setting up events and leave it to you and John to run it, look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vader29 wrote: Added you as an admin. I will take a break from setting up events and leave it to you and John to run it, look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
I think you do a great job, liked how we mimicked the PGA tour the last few months. You shouldn't step aside unless you want to.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:

Added you as an admin. I will take a break from setting up events and leave it to you and John to run it, look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
Mark, I think you do a great job as the administrator of this Society! I've done it also and I know it's impossible to vet every course to the extent possible to ensure the best possible play experience. I'll be glad to pitch in because I know it's nice to get a break from it every now and then. I think this game it going to get more attention, and likely the frequency of play will increase in the DSP Society, post server side update next week... it's going to be a different game, and IMO, one that will play more like what many of us had hoped this one was going to be out of the gate.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:

You do a great job Mark. Thank you!

I am just hoping to help a little bit.

Thanks for the confidence.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Mark and everyone who helps run the society, thank you! Something fun to look forward to every day!!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Shaun West just posted this in the official forum concerning the second go at a server side patch, to address ball flight trajectories, backspin, and lie effects in the official forum:

Hi,

I want to thank everyone for their patience while we investigated this issues that some of you were having. We believe that we have identified and addressed the problems and will be rolling out another server change for the swing this afternoon. I'm going to lock this thread in the meantime and will open it back up once the changes have been pushed allowing feedback and ensuring you're not seeing the same issues as earlier in the week.

Thanks
Shaun W.

Based on what I saw in the one round I played when the patch was in effect on Tuesday, I think the game is going to play a little harder with it in play. Yes, it was easier to stop the ball on the green with a short to medium iron approach, but the rough and sand penalties were pretty brutal, and many people's opinion, overstated. They took a lot of feedback to that effect and I wouldn't be surprised to see the rough penalties dialed back a bit with this afternoon's release.

I'm really looking forward to it because I liked the dynamics the more believable trajectories, and especially the properly scaled backspin brought to the game.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

The new ball and lie physics changes have been implemented today via a server side update. I'm totally digging the way the game plays now... you can hit an 8-iron approach pin high, and have it hold a moderate green now. I actually had a full lob wedge approach hit a moderate green, and back up a couple of feet! I don't know how to explain it, but the game feels so much more elegant now!

Keep all this in mind as you play your next rounds.... oh, and I've found that now that the 3-wood only carries 248 yards now, the "driver off the deck can just about take its place, as long as it's off the fairway. It will show 84 to 88% off a fairway lie for a driver, but I've set myself up for three eagle putts using the driver. Fairway bunkers can now be killers though, so be weary of that.

This is one of the best updates HB Studios has ever offered. I love the way this game plays now... it's like a new, more believable game experience!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:Fairway bunkers can now be killers though, so be weary of that.
I hope they didn't go back to the trash they had in TGC 2. Competent golfers can hit it out of fairway bunkers and the rough without the bullshit they had in the last game.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:Fairway bunkers can now be killers though, so be weary of that.
I hope they didn't go back to the trash they had in TGC 2. Competent golfers can hit it out of fairway bunkers and the rough without the bullshit they had in the last game.
No, it's not as bad as the way TGC 2 handled it, but it's like 5 to 8% more carry. I think they need to up the percentages to more realistic values, especially the clean, fairway bunker lies, and tweak the swing to where swing path and tempo errors are more heavily factored into the shot result.

I can hit a clean lie out of a fairway bunker almost as far as I can off the fairway, but I'm more likely to pull, or pull hook it, and skull it to various degrees when my swing is off. I'd like to see that factored in, but they're saying they can't make that type of adjustment, server side. They are considering all the feedback they're getting, mirroring your and my concerns about it, it will address it in the next downloadable update... whenever that comes.

Still, I'm more pleased with the way this game is playing right now than I've ever been in the franchise' history. It's so nice to know I can hit a 7-iron approach into a normal size green and have it stick, or roll out believably! 8)

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Still, I'm more pleased with the way this game is playing right now than I've ever been in the franchise' history. It's so nice to know I can hit a 7-iron approach into a normal size green and have it stick, or roll out believably! 8)
Co-signed. Really happy about the changes.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Valmont is a beautiful course. I was going decent until the 14th. Then my hooking-itis was in full display from hitting the big clubs to the irons and even short game. Can’t explain it, don’t know what happened, but I hit the water three times alone in #14. Then again on 17and 18th. It was bad.

Finished at +8 in the first round alone but I will continue to play this challenging course. It was damn frustrating.

Just Beautiful.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Valmont is a beautiful course. I was going decent until the 14th. Then my hooking-itis was in full display from hitting the big clubs to the irons and even short game. Can’t explain it, don’t know what happened, but I hit the water three times alone in #14. Then again on 17and 18th. It was bad.

Finished at +8 in the first round alone but I will continue to play this challenging course. It was damn frustrating.

Just Beautiful.
All so true... I'm only one stroke ahead of you so I can relate. This is supposedly Artic Fury's most difficult course, and after one play, I agree that it is. I'm getting a lot of perfect/very fast tempos of late, and I'm getting way too heavy handed on putting on fast greens. I just need some more seat time with the game. I'm still liking the game play more, post server side patch with the ball physics and lie effects though, even though I'm scoring considerably higher.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Are any of you doing the TGC Tour Q-School? I just finished with +8 after 4 rounds. Not sure how it works from this point, but looking forward to two "societies" to be active in...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:Are any of you doing the TGC Tour Q-School? I just finished with +8 after 4 rounds. Not sure how it works from this point, but looking forward to two "societies" to be active in...
I'm glad you reminded me of that... I forgot about it. In playing the current DSP 72 hole tournament at Valmont, and the first round of the Official "Pro" tournament at Salish Ridge, and the lowest score I've had in any of those rounds is +7. My game has gone to hell in a handbasket since about two weeks prior to the server side patch. It's weird... my scoring average has climbed drastically, yet I'm enjoying playing the game more than ever :?

I had two triple bogies at Salish Ridge and two doubles today, after putting a grand total of 4 balls in the water on four different holes. I'm the master of the perfect/very fast and slow/fast tempo... I get way more of those than I do perfect/perfect, and they each are conducive to putting balls in water hazards. Still, I'm enjoying the heck out of playing the game :o