The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

Guys, I just found out I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the swing path affects fade/slice and draw/hook in this game. I reported it as a bug in the official bug reporting section and here's the response I got:

Draw/hook is applied with a fast downswing tempo. Fade/draw is a result of a slow downswing tempo.

As a righty, if your desired shot is a draw on target, swing to the right with a fast downswing. This push the ball and draw it back on target.

You can also check out our swing basics video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JgnN7-eb3rY&t=6s

It explains why so many shots were doing the opposite of what I thought I was doing with the swing. If you're like me, you're going to have to recalibrate your understanding of terrestrial physics to cope with it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It says that on the tip screen, quite often. LOL. RTFM to the highest degree.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, glad to hear you got your mic working. I sent you a message via Live a couple of days ago, wonder if you saw it.

I don’t want to put too much thoughts into my swing. Yesterday was a better day as my downswing was on path 80% of the time. On the second round of the tournament, I just kept getting a slow downswing where a lot of my shots just fell short of he target.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It says that on the tip screen, quite often. LOL. RTFM to the highest degree.
:oops: It shows how much attention I pay to the tips screen, because I think I know it all already... WRONG! I need a remedial session in RTFM I reckon :D

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:John, glad to hear you got your mic working. I sent you a message via Live a couple of days ago, wonder if you saw it.

I don’t want to put too much thoughts into my swing. Yesterday was a better day as my downswing was on path 80% of the time. On the second round of the tournament, I just kept getting a slow downswing where a lot of my shots just fell short of he target.
I must have missed your message. I'm more often likely to be fast on my downswing tempo, which is bailing me out many times because I tend to push shots (now that I finally understand the basis for the swing mechanic) quite a bit with a swing path that comes in between 12 and 1 on the dial.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

TheTruth wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Lead- where do you have the game installed? On the internal drive or an external? I’m getting quite a few jitters when the ball rolls on the green, especially close to,the hole. I’m on an external.

Rage worthy putts: I had a easy 6 footer on 17 for birdie to tie Divot for the second round lead and my putt leaked right even though every bead was moving the opposite direction. And the beads were moving fairly slow. I thought it was a gimme pretty much. NOPE! And pretty sure my swing was dead on. :twisted:
Internal. And I've also never seen any putting issues like you've seen, where the ball moves opposite than the break indicators...

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote: Leadfoot, I played round 3 last night with your turn enabled ghost. You've got a good handle on the putting... that was quite a show. Heck of a chip in you had on 11, I believe it was? I'm glad you weren't playing me live last night... you would have laughed your ass off at the "10" I posted on the par 3 16th.
Funny, I played that round with DB's ghost and he smoked me. :) My favorite part of this game is how my consistency comes and goes just like my real life game. My putting in the 4th round was horrendous!!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Couldn't do anything in the DSP Society event and now have played 5 rounds at TPC Boston and they have all been over par, really don't like that course now. Played the 2 round Official HB Open Society event at TPC Scottsdale and ended up with an ace in each round. :)
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: Leadfoot, I played round 3 last night with your turn enabled ghost. You've got a good handle on the putting... that was quite a show. Heck of a chip in you had on 11, I believe it was? I'm glad you weren't playing me live last night... you would have laughed your ass off at the "10" I posted on the par 3 16th.
Funny, I played that round with DB's ghost and he smoked me. :) My favorite part of this game is how my consistency comes and goes just like my real life game. My putting in the 4th round was horrendous!!
Yeah I went like +1 and +2 then reeled off a -7 and a -2...waaaay up and down. LOL.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:Couldn't do anything in the DSP Society event and now have played 5 rounds at TPC Boston and they have all been over par, really don't like that course now. Played the 2 round Official HB Open Society event at TPC Scottsdale and ended up with an ace in each round. :)
I was playing the last round of the DSP event at Boston and saw you tearing Scottsdale up!

Congrats!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

What are the chances that they will add officially licensed courses to the game going forward? I'm guessing slim to none, but a guy can hope.

My guess is the new 2K partnership will be something more prevalent in future editions of the game with hopefully a bigger budget put forth in development.
GT = Wilk5280

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Wilk5280 wrote:What are the chances that they will add officially licensed courses to the game going forward? I'm guessing slim to none, but a guy can hope.

My guess is the new 2K partnership will be something more prevalent in future editions of the game with hopefully a bigger budget put forth in development.
Pre-2K they indicated they would be adding more licensed courses. We shall see what impact 2K may or may not have on this.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Wilk5280 wrote:What are the chances that they will add officially licensed courses to the game going forward? I'm guessing slim to none, but a guy can hope.

As popular as these licensed courses are turnout out to be, I'd be willing to bet we'll see licensed PGA TOUR courses or course pack premium DLC s. If they're of the same quality as those included with the game, I'd be willing to buy them, provided the price is reasonable.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Now that I've discovered how the swing interface really works, I'm finding it to be more satisifying, but I'm also still finding all sorts of ways to miss a shot. I can't believe how many more fairways I miss in TGC 2019. If the rough was as punitive as it is in TGC 2, I'd never break 80! I'm enjoying the heck out of it though 8)

I decided to play the 2 round, official Open Society even today, but I only had a 45 minute window to play them before leaving for work. Using the fast forward button, I was able to get them both in under 41 minutes and shot 63, 64. It's not the way I want to play when I want fully enjoy the experience, but in a pinch, it was a benefit today.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:

As popular as these licensed courses are turnout out to be, I'd be willing to bet we'll see licensed PGA TOUR courses or course pack premium DLC s. If they're of the same quality as those included with the game, I'd be willing to buy them, provided the price is reasonable.
Not wanting to be cynical but something tells me that's why 2K wanted to be their publisher, cha-ching goes the cash register !

That said it could be a good thing if they include more than a handful of free official courses in TGC 2020, like EA did with the Tiger Woods series. If they have maybe 15-20 free official courses and you can buy additional courses that would seem fair as long as they are priced right. The only question mark I have is, will they meaning 2K Sports in the future eliminate course creation and go strictly with free and paid courses like EA did with Tiger Woods because it's on a yearly release? I know some of you might say, no way in hell is that going to happen but then again we are talking about money grubbing Take Two Interactive which 2K falls under their umbrella and it's all about post purchase sales i.e. micro transactions for them.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

So whats the consensus on this thing. I hear the graphics are improved but seems green physics seems like the same s***.
Watched Vaders 8 iron hole in one and its into a wind and it rolls out like 30 yrds into the cup, seriously? even on the hardest greens surely an 8 iron isnt rolling that far.
I want to get this game but unless you tell me otherwise no way im forking out 60 for the same unrealistic game play.
Its an artificial difficulty its not realistic at all they need to build difficulty into it some other way rather than on green physics.

tell me how wrong i am.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:So whats the consensus on this thing. I hear the graphics are improved but seems green physics seems like the same s***.
Watched Vaders 8 iron hole in one and its into a wind and it rolls out like 30 yrds into the cup, seriously? even on the hardest greens surely an 8 iron isnt rolling that far.
I want to get this game but unless you tell me otherwise no way im forking out 60 for the same unrealistic game play.
Its an artificial difficulty its not realistic at all they need to build difficulty into it some other way rather than on green physics.

tell me how wrong i am.
It has true multiplayer this time, I've only played stroke and skins so far and both were fun, would be good to get a foursome together for alt shot. Oh and the game is $49.99 so you just saved $10.01 for your unrealistic game play. :P
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

so am i right thinking the ball acts the same on the green.
Is the deloft lofting of clubs to dial in distance the same? That would be one way they could make it harder naturally, i mean who delofts a 2 iron to get less distance.
wedges are the only clubs realistically you would add and take away loft.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:So whats the consensus on this thing. I hear the graphics are improved but seems green physics seems like the same s***.

tell me how wrong i am.
It's much better than the previous iteration. Graphics, load times, animations, controls are all improved. As for the green physics, putting feels 100% better than last year. Very intuitive and rewarding.

Yep, the roll out on the greens takes some getting used to, and I was complaining at first about it just like many others. That said, after about 20-30 rounds, I don't consider it a game killer AT ALL. It's reasonably easy to compensate for and it's made me learn how to use the loft adjustment with my irons.

I'm extremely happy with the game and am looking forward to our weekly tournaments again.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Definitely liking TGC19 more than TGC2. I just shot a -17 in the DSP Society event :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Leadfoot5 wrote:

tell me how wrong i am.
It's reasonably easy to compensate for and it's made me learn how to use the loft adjustment with my irons.
See this is a problem. Do you do that on a real course when your playing?

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:

tell me how wrong i am.
It's reasonably easy to compensate for and it's made me learn how to use the loft adjustment with my irons.
See this is a problem. Do you do that on a real course when your playing?
Actually, no, but only because I'm not good enough (-18 hc). That said, I *do* play my irons naturally shallow (hardly ever get a divot with my mid irons - need to work on that) so I am used to aiming for the front of the green and letting the ball roll up... :)

But I hear you. Just isn't that big a deal for me. Besides, I feel the roll is pretty realistic when you get down to the short irons (9, PW, SW, etc)

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I hear yeh. but the pros arn't doing it i guarantee you that, so you shouldn't be.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:I hear yeh. but the pros arn't doing it i guarantee you that, so you shouldn't be.
I am with you Jimmy. Irons hit from the fairway should hit, check and stop. I just think the devs realized that would make the game too easy. Hell, there are still people shooting crazy scores even with the rollout.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Right, its that stupid loft deloft to get it close BS. Take that out and the game gets harder.
People are always going to master stuff but at least keep it honest.