Racing 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing 2018

Post by GB_Simo »

GB_Simo wrote:However...the Red Bull Junior Program only has 6 drivers in it. Of those, the only one anywhere near a Superlicence is Dan Ticktum, who'll qualify if he wins the European F3 championship (which he leads) or the Super Formula championship (which he doesn't). He's only 19, though, and might benefit from a season doing something else, particularly as his experience in the junior classes has been limited by a two-year ban, the second year of which was suspended.

What he did, in case you're wondering, was overtake half the field under an MSA Formula (now British F4) safety car in order to ram the race leader at speed. He had his reasons, all of them nuts.
Since this posting, the good Mr Ticktum has seen his championship lead vanish in the face of a late-season onslaught from Mick Schumacher, who'll be crowned champion as long as he scores one point more than his rival in any of the final three races at Hockenheim. He has greeted these developments with good grace and a steely resolve to do better next time, because it would of course be lunacy to log in to Instagram, create a post about your competitor having "interesting" pace and suggest that you're being screwed out of a championship because your name isn't Schumacher. This would be especially true if your girlfriend, by this point deep enough inside the minibar that she's uncovered the secret passage to Narnia, then logged on and began to suggest that those questioning your racing prowess were jealous of your achievements and, in all probability, desperately sexually frustrated. Thank goodness, then, that he avoided that particular pitfall.

No, not avoided. Fell into. I should imagine Helmut was ecstatic.

Meanwhile, Antonio Giovinazzi is in at Sauber, where I wouldn't expect him to be on the level of Leclerc but would expect him to do just fine. Ericsson remains as third driver, presumably because it doesn't make much sense for his backers to place him elsewhere while still owning Sauber.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Next year we should get a better gauge on Giovinazzi, someone Ferrari feels should be in a red car. Ericsson just wasn't good enough to move into a better car as we saw with Kyvat. It's becoming obvious that Vettel needs to win a WDC before his contract expires or someone else might be taking his seat. But then again Ferrari will be Ferrari and will find a way to muck things up.

They should have replaced Kimi with Ricciardo, that would have lit a fire under Vettel's butt and Ferrari would have a drivers lineup where either of those two would have brought them a WDC plus a constructors championship. I hope Leclerc proves me wrong when I say I don't think he's ready for the pressure of driving a red car.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like Horner and Marko weren't bluffing about Honda, the Torro Rosso cars qualified P6 and P7. And you know the McLaren camp has got to be wondering what they need to do to get their act together. Because after today's showing in Japan the Torro Rosso's were P6 and P7 and the McLaren's were 18th and 19th.

Red Bull has got to be encouraged for next year fitting that Honda in an Adrian Newey design. I wonder if Danny Ricciardo is second guessing his decision to leave for Renault?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Red Bull has got to be encouraged for next year fitting that Honda in an Adrian Newey design. I wonder if Danny Ricciardo is second guessing his decision to leave for Renault?
Probably not, when he looks at his pay stub. Lead drivers at factory teams earn more than being No. 1A or No. 2 at Red Bull.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Red Bull has got to be encouraged for next year fitting that Honda in an Adrian Newey design. I wonder if Danny Ricciardo is second guessing his decision to leave for Renault?
Probably not, when he looks at his pay stub. Lead drivers at factory teams earn more than being No. 1A or No. 2 at Red Bull.
What you say is true but I read and I forgot where that he said he had a better 1 yr deal with Red Bull that he took a paycut going to Renault.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:
What you say is true but I read and I forgot where that he said he had a better 1 yr deal with Red Bull that he took a paycut going to Renault.
Danny Ric wants to be No. 1. He's tired of being Max's bag boy, and he'll never earn matching status as long as Helmut Marko is involved with the team.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Another Vettel screw up, this time he hits Verstappen and ruins his race. Ferrari's patience must be wearing thin.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Another Vettel screw up, this time he hits Verstappen and ruins his race. Ferrari's patience must be wearing thin.
This is the season in which Hamilton has separated himself from Vettel as an all-time great. Vettel was elite for a four-year era in a dominant car; Hammy is an all-timer who is winning this title with an inferior car.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Another Vettel screw up, this time he hits Verstappen and ruins his race. Ferrari's patience must be wearing thin.
This is the season in which Hamilton has separated himself from Vettel as an all-time great. Vettel was elite for a four-year era in a dominant car; Hammy is an all-timer who is winning this title with an inferior car.
I don't think his car is inferior anymore. Merc for the last several races have been out qualifying Ferrari and their recent race pace has been better than Ferrari.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I thought Di Resta missed the point a little in suggesting that Vettel could have waited until Max served his penalty. He could have, yes, but needing to win and not knowing how far up the road Mercedes would be by that point, going for it was reasonable enough. Going for it at Spoon in a position where Verstappen was always going to turn in...maybe that's a bit different and carried an element of desperation.

Would he have been quite so desperate if he'd qualified on the right tyres? We think of Ferrari as traditionally inefficient, Todt era excepted, but they've thrown this championship away with the minimum of fuss.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

GB_Simo wrote:We think of Ferrari as traditionally inefficient, Todt era excepted, but they've thrown this championship away with the minimum of fuss.
They have haven't they? Bernie Eccelstone recently said, Ferrari again is too Italian to win a Championship. Kimi refuses to help Vettel during races to gain points. Mercedes OTOH issued team orders as unpopular as those are with the fans but Ross Brawn came out in favor of Mercedes recent decision.

Too bad Capt Morgan bailed on Ferrari. We could be seeing a totally different Championship with him behind the wheel of this year's Ferrari.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

LOL

Hamilton is the man.

Deal with it.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Not sure we’ll ever get a more Max Verstappen quote than this:

But Kimi chose the wrong line in the chicane — he could have also just waited for me to come back on the track.

Ah yes, clearly everyone should be sure to give Max the space and time needed on the track at all times.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I guess I'm not the only one questioning Vettel's legacy or greatness. Kudos to ESPN F1 for bringing it up.
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/249 ... ected-2018

What impact will the second half of 2018 have on Vettel's legacy in F1?

"It certainly hasn't enhanced his reputation. It doesn't help that, since his run of four straight championships, he's been outperformed by Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014, had incidents in Baku and Singapore in 2017, and has now blown a championship that should have been his. The memory is skewed in favour of more recent events, and Vettel will need to win a fifth championship to end those lingering whispers that his success was solely down to the Red Bull he was driving at the start of the decade."

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Petit LeMans was a fantastic event this year, the race unfolded in a way that made the overall championship story very compelling.

This might be my favorite headline of the year:

Kobayashi to run tribute livery in Super Formula decider

Never thought I'd see the day that anyone would run a Tora Takagi tribute livery, but here we are. To borrow from NASCAR writer Nick Bromberg, what a time to be alive.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

When Alonso makes sense: https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-f1 ... ing-again/

"He believes Formula 1 has lost its way over the past decade as the absence of a tyre war and refuelling as well as the introduction of turbocharged V6 engines have ruined the sport.

“You need to make the sport interesting again,” said Alonso.

“I posted a video of 2005 and I received 3000 comments of ‘this is the Formula 1 I fell in love with and not the thing you have now’, so it’s not me being critical of this Formula 1, it’s the whole world.

“One of the top six cars can start last in every race and will finish in the top six and lap the seventh with whatever guy you put in those cars.

“We miss the noise of the V10, the V8, we miss the creativity on the strategy, the different fuel loads, the tyre competition, so you go into Sunday with some unpredictable feeling of what is going to happen.”

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Alonso is full of sh*t, period. Two teams dominated in 2005 -- Renault and McLaren-Mercedes, just like the duopoly of Mercedes and Ferrari this season.

People maybe were enamored with 2005 because that was the season in which Schumacher's reign of terror ended. But it's folly to suggest the racing was any better that season, especially with that era's horrific grooved tires.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Where I agree with Alonso is the noise from the cars, the tire wars created a certain unpredictability and you forgot Ferrari in your group because it was pretty close between McLaren, Ferrari and Renault in 05 and 06.

But I do agree that Formula 1 got tired of Ferrari's domination and the introduction of the new points and qualifying systems were changed to slow down Ferrari and Schumacher.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Where I agree with Alonso is the noise from the cars, the tire wars created a certain unpredictability and you forgot Ferrari in your group because it was pretty close between McLaren, Ferrari and Renault in 05 and 06.
No, it wasn't. Ferrari was third in the Constructors Championship in 2005, 91 points behind Renault and 82 points behind McLaren-Mercedes.

In 2006, Renault beat Ferrari by five points. McLaren-Mercedes was 91 points behind Ferrari in third.

Duopoly. Both years. The idea of a three-team fight is nothing more than a myth both of those seasons.

Captain Morgan is full of sh*t.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:Alonso is full of sh*t, period. Two teams dominated in 2005 -- Renault and McLaren-Mercedes, just like the duopoly of Mercedes and Ferrari this season.

People maybe were enamored with 2005 because that was the season in which Schumacher's reign of terror ended. But it's folly to suggest the racing was any better that season, especially with that era's horrific grooved tires.
2005, the year of the 6 carriage in the USGP., a definite low light in the history of F1. Yep, bad tires is not something to be celebrated

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:2005, the year of the 6 carriage in the USGP., a definite low light in the history of F1. Yep, bad tires is not something to be celebrated
I worked that race and was near the center of the storm. I'll never forget when the 14 Bridgestone cars peeled off after the formation lap, and I quickly split my pit reporting team into two crews via radio. One was assigned to talk with the drivers who withdrew and try to get comment from Bernie and Max Mosley. The other stayed with the six cars in the race.

I'll never forget telling the race team on the radio, "OK, guys. We still have a race here. Let's cover it like the full field is there."

One of the most surreal days in my career in motorsports PR.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I can’t imagine what it was like from your seat, PK.

My dad and I walked out a few laps into the race, we had been to all of the previous USGPs at Indy and couldn’t believe we paid money for that charade. I’ll never put a set of Michelins on a car of mine again because of that day.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:I can’t imagine what it was like from your seat, PK.

My dad and I walked out a few laps into the race, we had been to all of the previous USGPs at Indy and couldn’t believe we paid money for that charade. I’ll never put a set of Michelins on a car of mine again because of that day.
That's too bad, Dave. You should reconsider. Michelin screwed up that day, but Michelin boss Pierre Dupasquier admitted it publicly that weekend. Plus Michelin bought about 25,000 tickets from us for the 2006 race and arranged an autograph session at IMS during the USGP with all of its drivers, which was almost unheard of at the time.

It's a jarring contrast from Goodyear, which to this day still has taken ZERO responsibility for the tire debacle at the 2008 Brickyard 400, which started the decline of that race. Goodyear blamed the diamond grinding of the track, which was there for the 2007 edition of the race, which ran without any tire problems.

I'll never put a set of Goodyears on my cars for that very reason.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

You're not missing much, Paul.

When I bought my Focus way back when, it came on a set of Michelins that were the best road tyres I've ever driven. Great in all weathers, good on fuel, durable - everything you could want, and grippy enough to indulge your inner wheelsmith as far as 105 horsepower would allow if the fancy took you.

They were replaced by a set of Goodyear Excellence tyres that were to excellence what I am to brevity. Absolutely the only tyre manufacturer I'd never consider trying again. Nowt to do with PR, mind - I've got Pirellis on my current motor, so clearly I'm not paying any attention...

Dave, my favourite thing about that Tora Takagi tribute livery, outside of the fact that there really is such a thing, is that I'd completely forgotten he ever ran those colours.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Dave wrote:This might be my favorite headline of the year:

Kobayashi to run tribute livery in Super Formula decider
http://sportz247.com/news/motor-sports/ ... la-decider

Never thought I'd see the day that anyone would run a Tora Takagi tribute livery, but here we are. To borrow from NASCAR writer Nick Bromberg, what a time to be alive.
Nothing against Tora Takagi, but the first thing I thought of when I saw that livery was Mo Nunn (RIP) and a young Tony Kanaan. That is a sweet looking racecar.