Racing 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing 2018

Post by Dave »

Kimi!!!
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Kimi!!!
What a cool result for a SUPERB race. Might have been the best of the season.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Marcus Ericsson in at SPM. He seems a very nice fella and I wish him well. If he actually goes on to do well, though, then the pool of IndyCar driving talent is shallower than I think.

Had that engine not gone pop in Malaysia, or had Ron not completely lost his sh*t at the back end of 2007 (apologies: had Ron not suffered from the sudden and cataclysmic misplacement of waste matter resulting from the internal processing of sustenance), that'd be seven titles in the books for Lewis Hamilton already, and you could make a compelling case for another couple having fallen by the wayside in 2010 (his fault) and 2012 (McLaren's). His ability to deliver a lap time that seems beyond his vehicle is unmatched in this era, his racecraft is without peer and over the last year or two, he's eradicated those off weekends where an entirely different, much slower driver used to turn up in his place. How exactly, I wonder, do you go about beating him over a season these days?

I also wonder, if I ever arrive at the boarding gate and find Daniel Ricciardo waiting in line there, how easily I'll be able to change my flight. The lad could fall into a barrel of tits tomorrow and come out sucking his thumb.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK probably already knows this, both McLaren and Alonso have confirmed their entry for next years Indy 500. Supposedly they will race under McLaren Racing or something like that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK probably already knows this, both McLaren and Alonso have confirmed their entry for next years Indy 500. Supposedly they will race under McLaren Racing or something like that.
Uh, yeah. I was just a bit busy yesterday getting the news to IMS.com and IMS social channels. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Alright fellas, give me your Verstappen/Ocon takes.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I didn’t watch any of the race but read about the incident. It appears Ocon was to blame, he was trying to unlap himself while Mad Max was going for the win. Shades of Senna and Eddie Irvine and Senna punched Irvine in the face for being disrepectful. :)

There was NO reason for Ocon to mess up Verstappen’s race, although some conspiratorial theorists claim he was looking to please his Mercedes boss Toto Wolff and gift Lewis a win. Which I call BS as Lewis already won the Championship and could have been at the beach the next two races. It wouldn’t change a thing.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

You lead with the jab, surely? All that pushing him in the chest achieved nothing.

I originally had this down as being about 100% Ocon's fault, but earlier today I saw an on-board video that starts half a lap before the crash and had a big old change of heart.

Being that close and with a tyre advantage, Ocon would likely have got by on the back straight with DRS (seek out the on-board if you can - his closing speed down the main straight was enormous), so had no particular need to force the issue in the Senna S. However, there wouldn't have been an issue to force if Verstappen hadn't taken up a defensive position halfway down the straight. Defence from what exactly?

Whether Max let his long-standing lack of fondness for Esteban cloud his judgement, I know not. What I do know is that he should have let the Force India pass cleanly in a straight line and that, having chosen to block instead, he should have recognised that the car running dead level with him halfway around turn 1 was not likely to have disappeared before turn 2. Had he done either of those things rather than choosing that moment to remind us who his father is, he would have won the race.

Should Esteban have forced the issue as far as he did? No, I don't believe so, but the issue existed in large part because Max was not situationally aware, picking an imaginary fight with an opponent he didn't have. There is more to winning a championship than simply being bloody quick, and Max has plenty of time to learn it, but you sometimes wonder whether he's the learning type.

In fact, you'd have thought Max would have been keen to let the backmarker come by before he got any further around the lap. His dad can tell him all about the pitfalls of dealing with lapped traffic down the back straight, after all.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I’m biased against Max. He drives with the belief that he’s entitled to the track he feels is his, whenever the moment. Kimi should have slowed to avoid hitting him, now Ocon should just give up since Max wants the apex, etc, etc, etc

So clearly I’m not coming into this incident without prejudice. Ocon could have been more patient, but does anyone think Max would have just pulled aside on the next straight?

And the pushes after the race were some Kevin Harvick-level tough guy posturing.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I find the idea of Joey Logano: NASCAR Champion about as wet and disappointing as the time I played Formula 1 '98 for 3 days straight just in case it miraculously ceased to be bloody awful. Am I being unfair?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:I find the idea of Joey Logano: NASCAR Champion about as wet and disappointing as the time I played Formula 1 '98 for 3 days straight just in case it miraculously ceased to be bloody awful. Am I being unfair?
A bit. Logano is a damn good driver who got hot at just the right time, in the playoffs. That's the system now in NASCAR, and Logano and his team mastered it better than any other pairing.

Blame the system, not the driver, if you dislike that the winningest driver of the season didn't win the title.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Oh, I do.

While I understand this is very much My Problem, the more I watch it, the less I enjoy it. If it built to some kind of crescendo, that'd be one thing, but I increasingly find that the resets every 3 races rob the playoffs of any kind of momentum. In saying that, British Superbike has The Showdown, where the top 6 regular season riders become the Title Fighters for the last 7 races with no further eliminations, and I find that to be a load of old cobblers too.

Meanwhile, in Abu Dhabi, there remains no word on the final available F1 seat for 2019, the Racing Point Force India vacancy. Lance Stroll tested for the team part-owned by his father today, and we must now wait to see if he did enough to secure the drive.