Racing 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing 2018

Post by Rodster »

Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage is a little perturbed at Formula One for scheduling their race next year the same day Nascar is having their race at the TMS. First off Eddie doesn't realize or admit that this issue has come up before and Bernie Eccelstone to them to task saying, they schedule their races geographically and have to fly 7 or 8 747 Jumbo planes to setup a race whereas their series is based in the US.

But the bigger issue I see is that Formula One probably sees Nascar as whining because their racing series is in decline and the owners of Liberty Media want a bigger presence in the US so they would be happy to knock Nascar off that pedestal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No one should question the Halo's effectiveness. But you can question the aesthetics until Armageddon.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage is a little perturbed at Formula One for scheduling their race next year the same day Nascar is having their race at the TMS. First off Eddie doesn't realize or admit that this issue has come up before and Bernie Eccelstone to them to task saying, they schedule their races geographically and have to fly 7 or 8 747 Jumbo planes to setup a race whereas their series is based in the US.

But the bigger issue I see is that Formula One probably sees Nascar as whining because their racing series is in decline and the owners of Liberty Media want a bigger presence in the US so they would be happy to knock Nascar off that pedestal.
That's Eddie's MASSIVE ego talking. Eddie thinks he's a major player on the world motorsports stage. Liberty barely knows who Eddie Gossage is, much less what he thinks about F1 scheduling.

In this situation, Eddie is a little terrier yapping at a Great Dane.

Plus, is there really overlap between the two series' fanbases? VERY little. Does it hurt Eddie a bit in media coverage? Maybe. Very few mainstream American sports outlets cover racing anymore due to the decline in NASCAR ratings and crowds. Motorsport is back to a niche sport on these shores.

Mike Zizzo does such a great job at PR at Texas Motor Speedway that the Dallas media will stay in town to cover Cup at TMS instead of going to Austin to cover F1. TMS is the local track, and Ziz is a true ace -- one of the absolute best track PR guys in North America.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

From a front Ferrari lockout to Lewis "Hammer Time" Hamilton winning the race. Don't you just love it when a driver gets tapped and spins out it's always the other guys fault? :lol:

I saw the replay and it was a racing incident between Lewis and Seb. Lewis gave plenty of room and Seb understeered into Lewis' car. Which result in no penalty which was the right call.

I'll say this, if Seb doesn't win the Championship this year with the car they gave him, he won't win it ever. Lewis is still much too dominant in the sport. And if Seb doesn't win it either this year or next I can sense, Ferrari will move on which is why I think they made a HUGE mistake not bringing in Ricciardo. They wanted to keep the status quo and not rattle Vettel's cage but Seb is coming unglued just like last year only this time with the best car on the grid.

Now you know why I don't hold Vetel's skills in the highest regard even with his 4 championships.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

In my opinion, it wasn't a racing incident but as a Ferrai fan, driver error by Vettel. Lewis really did leave a ton of room. His not winning a championship will certainly be of his own making. Samegoesforsomeone like Verstappen. Sure he is a quick driver, but half a decade into his F1 career he still drives like he has rocks in his head at times. The moves to the left on Bottas under braking was a well deserved penalty. Quit your moaning Max. You screwed the pooch as you often do.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:In my opinion, it wasn't a racing incident but as a Ferrai fan, driver error by Vettel. Lewis really did leave a ton of room. His not winning a championship will certainly be of his own making. Samegoesforsomeone like Verstappen. Sure he is a quick driver, but half a decade into his F1 career he still drives like he has rocks in his head at times. The moves to the left on Bottas under braking was a well deserved penalty. Quit your moaning Max. You screwed the pooch as you often do.
Agree 100 percent with this assessment.

VERY entertaining race on a REAL circuit, not some bullsh*t Tilkedrome.

Verstappen's problem is that his father was one of the larger assh*les in recent F1 history, and Jos clearly raised Max to think that he walks on the same water as his dad and Christ himself.

Max is a spoiled little kid with prodigious talent who never has had to work for sh*t and has had every door opened for him in his career by his father. And nothing is EVER his fault, just like "Jos the Boss" during his incredibly overrated F1 career.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I agree with PK on Max the spoiled kid and Jos being an A-Hole. But Max is what 20 or 21 yrs old and has a few race wins under his belt this early in his career with an underpowered car? I say give him time, right now it appears to me he's trying to compensate for the cars lack of performance and his desire to win. I have no doubt this kid unlike his dad has the talent to be one of the best provided he can get a winning car. If Honda can make for Red Bull what Helmet Marko told them, "just build us the fastest engine you know how and we'll find a way to make it fit", then Red Bull could have a VERY serious package next year if Honda pulls thru. We are already in agreement that it wasn't so much Honda as it was McLaren who told Honda how to design their engine so as to fit in the McLaren.

I believe Max's contract runs out at the end of the current regulations so expect every team on the grid to want his services especially if Vettel can't bring Ferrari a championship. That said i'm not a fan of the kid but he is a bonafide star in F1 and at 20 or 21yrs old, sure it can get to a kids head, pump up his ego with everyone catering to him.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well this could get interesting. Supposedly Charles LeClerc signed a deal to drive for Ferrari next year, except the dude that signed him is now dead and the dude who took over for him is good friends with Kimi. :P

And Lando Norris has been confirmed to partner Carlos Sainz in 2019 at McLaren.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:And Lando Norris has been confirmed to partner Carlos Sainz in 2019 at McLaren.
Underwhelming lineup for a team trying to right the ship.

Sainz is a steady pair of hands -- nothing more. The Spanish Nick Heidfeld or Nico Hulkenberg.

Norris has proven nothing. Remember the F2 starlet marked for F1 stardom right before Leclerc? Stoffel Vandoorne. Yeah, that worked out well for McLaren.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:And Lando Norris has been confirmed to partner Carlos Sainz in 2019 at McLaren.
Underwhelming lineup for a team trying to right the ship.

Sainz is a steady pair of hands -- nothing more. The Spanish Nick Heidfeld or Nico Hulkenberg.

Norris has proven nothing. Remember the F2 starlet marked for F1 stardom right before Leclerc? Stoffel Vandoorne. Yeah, that worked out well for McLaren.
Funny, that ESPN just did a piece on that very same subject: "The case of Stoffel Vandoorne should be a warning to the F1 hype brigade"

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/245 ... pe-brigade

"Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel is a man who knows a thing or two about making it in Formula One. The Ferrari driver said this in Belgium when asked about Force India's Esteban Ocon qualifying third: "I think, unfortunately it's our times, a new guy comes in and he's the superhero, then another guy comes in and he's the superhero, then another guy comes in and then he's the superhero, and then another guy comes in and he's the new superhero.

And by that time, the first guy is easily forgotten, even though he's doing a very, very good job but not really considered any more, as in talked about and written about, so that's why I think it's good for him to have this result today, and he should get mentioned."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hand on Bible: I promise I didn't know about that story before my post! :)

I also don't get the hype about Sainz. He's proven to be a competent professional driver so far in F1, nothing more. You knew Alonso was special when he dragged the Minardi to places it didn't belong. The same this season about Leclerc and the Sauber.

Sainz has done nothing like that during his career.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Hand on Bible: I promise I didn't know about that story before my post! :)

I also don't get the hype about Sainz. He's proven to be a competent professional driver so far in F1, nothing more. You knew Alonso was special when he dragged the Minardi to places it didn't belong. The same this season about Leclerc and the Sauber.

Sainz has done nothing like that during his career.
While not disagreeing with you, here's my thought on that. If you discover a talent the ONLY way to really find out if they are Championship material is to put them in a top team and see them in action. There are certainly standouts, like you said Alonso even more so Hamilton who just killed it the first year and if not for inexperience could have been World Champion. So those two are special but there are others on the grid that look to have the goods but you won't know until they are in a top team. I also put Mad Max at an early age in the future Champion group because of what he achieved at Torro Rosso and his 1st win for Red Bull on his first attempt. Ricciardo is another one who could be a Champion and we only found out when he got to Red Bull and dominated Vettel and scored 3 wins in his first year.

That said, I thought Bottas would have made the leap as I love Finnish drivers, my favorite being Kimi followed Hakkinen. But Bottas has shown he's a good number two, Eddie Irvine was another one as well as Rubens, good number two's. People thought Felipe Massa was a good number two and he was World Champ for about 6 secs in 2008, so you never know.

I think it's a HUGE mistake putting LeClerc in a Ferrari, notwithstanding his teammate Vettel who will be pissed seeing Kimi lose his seat but even more the Italian media pressure for him to produce. It could be too much at such an early age. We'll find out if he gets it but man driving for Ferrari is like playing for ManU or the NY Yankees. The spotlight shines bright.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:While not disagreeing with you, here's my thought on that. If you discover a talent the ONLY way to really find out if they are Championship material is to put them in a top team and see them in action. There are certainly standouts, like you said Alonso even more so Hamilton who just killed it the first year and if not for inexperience could have been World Champion. So those two are special but there are others on the grid that look to have the goods but you won't know until they are in a top team. I also put Mad Max at an early age in the future Champion group because of what he achieved at Torro Rosso and his 1st win for Red Bull on his first attempt. Ricciardo is another one who could be a Champion and we only found out when he got to Red Bull and dominated Vettel and scored 3 wins in his first year.
Exactly. Alonso in the Minardi. Vettel winning in a Toro Rosso. Max doing well in a Toro Rosso. Leclerc dragging a Sauber into Q3.

But what have we seen similar from Sainz? Nada. And beating Lando Norris will prove nothing next year.
Rodster wrote:I think it's a HUGE mistake putting LeClerc in a Ferrari, notwithstanding his teammate Vettel who will be pissed seeing Kimi lose his seat but even more the Italian media pressure for him to produce. It could be too much at such an early age. We'll find out if he gets it but man driving for Ferrari is like playing for ManU or the NY Yankees. The spotlight shines bright.
Disagree, for two reasons.

One, I think Leclerc is special.

Two, I don't think anyone in Maranello expects him to beat or even equal Vettel next season. But maybe Ferrari sees a fast, young, hungry teammate as the fulcrum to pry free Vettel's true worth.

Ferrari management has gone out of its way to kiss Vettel's ass the last few seasons by pairing him with the fading, yet non-threatening and non-dramatic Kimi, and what has Vettel produced for the Prancing Horse during that span? Zero titles.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Regarding Sainz he has faded this year against the Hulkster. Something tells me Alonso had something to do with him getting his seat.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on LeClerc. His last few races haven’t matched what he did before the summer break, some DNF’s and some other so-so racers. Agreed regarding Vettel and i’ve been saying the same thing for the longest time. Yes he won 4 WDC in a row but it was in a pretty dominant trick car thanks to Adrian Newey. He’s not a great driver in the wet “Hockeheim”, he cracks under pressure “Baku 2017” and the rest of the 2017 season afterwards and now Monza 2018. I still think Ricciardo was the best choice but rumor has it they consider him too “jokey” and not a good fit for their image. He’s a proven talent like Gerhard Berger was without a championship. I think he would beat Vettel again.

If they do bring in Leclerc, I expect Vettel to try real hard to beat him on the track. My other guess is Vettel is out of contract including Verstappen when the new regulations start in 2021. If Max is available i’m sure that’ll be their priority.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Agree with every point except Leclerc, Rod! Damn it -- I want to debate! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Agree with every point except Leclerc, Rod! Damn it -- I want to debate! :)
Actually I don't disagree with you regarding Leclerc, he has been a surprise in 2018 and he does have talent. I think where we disagree is, him going to Ferrari this early in his career. I say no even if he's shown potential. Look what happened to Checo Perez promising career when he went from Sauber to McLaren. He flamed out when going against Jenson Button, even Sergio admitted he shouldn't have gone to McLaren that early in his career. He almost was shown the door out of F1 if not for Force India and he revitalized his career. And Sergio is a really solid driver who probably won't get another sniff at a top three team.

That's what could happen to Charles Leclerc because it happened to Stoffel Vandoorne. So there's a 40/60 chance he could succeed and it's not because he doesn't have the talent but because he's now under the Ferrari and Media spotlight. Then you have Vettel who will lose his best buddy and wingman and Vettel will do everything possible to show up Leclerc at every possible opportunity. So it becomes more a question of pressure vs talent. Now he could be the rare breed that thrives on pressure and produces but the odds are not in his favor.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

"Why Ferrari must share blame for Sebastian Vettel's mistakes"

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420/ ... s-mistakes

Mark Hughes trying to put lipstick on a pig. First off Vettel is no longer a kid, he's a well seasoned Formula One world champion so let's stop with the excuses. He lost the race in Germany not because it was Ferrari's fault but because he's not as good as Max Verstappen in the rain. He screwed up Monza because he buckled under pressure just like Lewis Hamilton did in Brasil back in 2007 and lost the championship.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ferrari confirms Leclerc and Kimi goes back to Sauber where it all started on a two year deal. I do agree with Martin Brundle that those seats like Sauber and Torro Rosso should be reserved for up and coming talent. So young drivers with talent like Esteban Ocon and Stoffel Vandoorne are out of a seat and I think Vandoorne got a raw deal driving in a crappy McLaren. He should at least get another try in F1 and then there's George Russell coming up thru Formula 2.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a HUGE Kimi fan but he's not going to offer Sauber any podiums or wins in that car. At least the car shows no signs of being capable to do that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brundle is wrong and should know better. What driver will be more of a magnet for sponsorship -- THE most important component of any F1 team -- Kimi Raikkonen, or an anonymous F2 driver or sh*tty rent-a-rider with backing from a Russian petro-oligarch?

I would FAR rather see a guy with true passion for racing like Kimi race with Sauber than the alternative. Kimi will do more to develop Sauber's car over a season than any young kid or talentless hack backed by Daddy's money or a corrupt regime.

Vandoorne got f*cked, indeed. But he only has McLaren to blame, not Sauber or other backmarker teams that didn't take him.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ross Brawn introduces the 2021 F1 concept car. It's not the final product but the front wing is definitely simplified !

https://twitter.com/Shazzeraz/status/10 ... 08/photo/1

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A look at the 2021 F1 Concept car. There are some sideplates still on the car and that design was made so as to vastly remove or eliminate the turbulent draft wake the cars create so as to make overtaking easier without a DRS device.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ugly car. Still too many flip-ups and right angles. A great-looking race car has a sensual woman's curves.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I think Concept 1 and Concept 2 are better-looking than Concept 3, which Rod posted. More curves. Smoother lines.

https://racer.com/2018/09/14/f1-reveals ... -concepts/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:I think Concept 1 and Concept 2 are better-looking than Concept 3, which Rod posted. More curves. Smoother lines.

https://racer.com/2018/09/14/f1-reveals ... -concepts/
Woo all three concepts look the same to me but I seem to like C#3.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It always bums me out to reach the end of an IndyCar season, the wait for the next one is always too long.

Congrats to Scott Dixon for championship #5, he's truly an all-timer. Hard to believe it is the same guy who, as an extremely shy rookie, allowed a ham-fisted intern to make up all of his pre-race quotes for a summer. Leading up to Sonoma, part of me wanted to see the next generation of IndyCar to grab another title, but after the race I found such joy seeing Scott celebrate with Emma and talk so fondly of Poppy and Tilly.

I really hope Alonso comes to IndyCar full-time next year and part of it is for the world to discover what bad-asses guys like Dixon, Rossi, Newgarden, and Power truly are. There isn't a galactic talent like Hamilton roaming the paddock, but I have a hard time believing IndyCar's best couldn't regularly beat guys like Hulkenberg, Grosjean, Perez, etc.

One final take-away from the finale--Pato O'Ward is going to be a f*cking superstar. He might have as much personality as he does pace, and that's saying a whole hell of a lot. Can't wait to see what he does over the next few years.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven