Racing 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing 2018

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but watching cars go dozens of times around the same oval is boring to watch too.

That POV shot going through the tunnel showed how fast the cars were moving.

In the post-race interviews and comments, they made it sound like the winner just had the best car for this race.

Who makes the Red Bull car anyways?

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I enjoyed the race this morning as there were a handful of things that kept it interesting. Daniel's power unit issue and those chasing the wounded car having tire issues. It kept things interesting despite it being Monaco and not exactly a circuit that see's much in the way of overtaking.

Per the tunnel.. Exiting the tunnel is hair-raising in video games, can't image what it's like in real life driving into that brief bit of over-exposed blindness at that speed.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

20 laps into the 500 and another commercial break. I’m watching on the espn app. Are they showing this many commercials on the abc broadcast?

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Exciting finish! I’m happy for power, but I wish Carpenter had won it. He had the best car all day long by my eyes. It was cool seeing how emotional powers wife got when her husband won it.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:My top four choices are Bourdais, Pagenaud, Dixon, or Kanaan. Going to be a slippery track on Sunday unless the forecast drastically changes and I think Bourdais and his engineering team work so well together that they can figure out how to deal with it as well as anyone.
NAILED IT :cry:

"Show me some respect, motherf*ckers!" Probably won't be joining Little Al's "you just don't know what Indy means" line in NBC's promos next season.

Power had the car to beat and executed all day long. Had a little slip-up on the last restart but Dixon couldn't get under him into 2 and that's all she wrote. Rossi is my driver of the day for his insane restarts.

Very different race than the last 5 years, maybe the new car could use a little extra downforce to spice up the show but maybe it looks different on a 75 degree day.

Still waiting for a meaningful pass for the lead in one of the other big races of the day...
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danny Ricciardo drove it like a champion. Gotta feel for Leclerc losing his brakes and slamming into the back of Hartley's car. The whinging continues as several of the top drivers said the race was boring and Hamilton said Monaco needs a rethink because the racing stinks.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

The racing in Monaco flat-out sucked, my kid asked "can we turn off the boring race" during breakfast. Not if we could put on Lion Guard instead or something, but just turn the TV off so nothing was going on while he played with cars at the table.

Heck of a drive by Ricciardo though, for sure.

Fernando Alonso live-tweeting the 500 was a highlight of the weekend. Those "McLaren comes to IndyCar with Alonso in '19" rumors are tasty, would be unbelievable if it happens.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dave wrote:Fernando Alonso live-tweeting the 500 was a highlight of the weekend. Those "McLaren comes to IndyCar with Alonso in '19" rumors are tasty, would be unbelievable if it happens.
I can see Alonso switching to Indycars in 2019. McLaren has Stoffel Vandoorn and I believe a British driver by the name of Norris is getting a lot of headlines every time he jumps into a McLaren for being super talented.

I think Alonso just wants to flatout race and F1 isn't allowing that to happen. It would be a great boost for Indycar because he has such a huge following around the world.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Rodster wrote:I think Alonso just wants to flatout race and F1 isn't allowing that to happen. It would be a great boost for Indycar because he has such a huge following around the world.
I agree 100%. And it has to be deflating to see Red Bull winning races with the same engine, just doesn't look like a World Championship-level car is coming from McLaren under this round of regulations.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:The racing in Monaco flat-out sucked, my kid asked "can we turn off the boring race" during breakfast. Not if we could put on Lion Guard instead or something, but just turn the TV off so nothing was going on while he played with cars at the table.

Heck of a drive by Ricciardo though, for sure.

Fernando Alonso live-tweeting the 500 was a highlight of the weekend. Those "McLaren comes to IndyCar with Alonso in '19" rumors are tasty, would be unbelievable if it happens.
It's very believable, Dave. I put it at 50/50 right now, with the odds swaying toward it happening the more McLaren continues to suck in F1.

Alonso LOVES everything about IndyCar and the 500. I noticed his Instagram picture from Sunday wasn't from the Monaco GP -- it was a photo of Fernando watching the Indy 500 on an iPad. Alonso also interacts with the social teams from IMS and IndyCar all the time and likes and shares our social content.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't have the inside scoop that PK has but i'd bet this is his last year in F1 and he'll make the switch to Indycar in 2019, just a hunch based on no facts or sources. He'll be what, 37 next year and he finds F1 boring and his chance at another world title, well that ship has sailed cause none of the top teams will take him.

He's supposedly doing a full season of WEC, so that should tell everyone of his priorities. He wants his name on the triple crown and in his debut at Indianapolis it was looking good until his engine went Honda style. It'll be good for Indycar and the free publicity it'll get globally with his following and the racing is 9 miles better than what F1 has produced in the last 10 years. Plus he'll fit right in because the Indycar grid is a mix of drivers from around the world.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And i'll predict that Ricciardo will sign with Red Bull. He's so good (quickly becoming the 3rd best driver in F1) that Lewis doesn't want him neither does Vettel. He would give both drivers fits and Ferrari is eyeing Leclerc while Mercedes seem to have settled in with Bottas who is doing enough to keep Lewis honest.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Alonso will win the second jewel of the Triple Crown this year at Le Mans since the only factory P1 teams are Toyota and ... Toyota.

Alonso's team is stronger than the Toyota "B" team. Plus Toyota will issue team orders with an hour to go if both cars are running with Alonso's car out front, just as it did in the WEC opener this month at Spa. Toyota gets FAR more worldwide exposure and marketing from Alonso winning Le Mans than from any driver on the "B" team.

That victory only will accelerate Alonso's return to Indy. Montoya already has two of the three legs and only needs Le Mans. I'm sure Alonso wants to do it before JPM. Montoya's Le Mans dreams will be on ice as long as Toyota is the sole P1 factory team at Le Mans, as there's no way in hell Acura/Honda will let Penske release him from his IMSA deal for a few weeks to win Le Mans in a car built by its hated Japanese rival.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fatal Crash at the Isle today. Dan Kneen.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

FifaInspected wrote:Fatal Crash at the Isle today. Dan Kneen.
Yep. Sadly probably won't be the last. When I read the course was closed due to fire, I figured the accident was grave. Then again, nearly all of the accidents on the Mountain Course are life-threatening, at the least.

Churchtown, where Kneen crashed, is a crazy-fast section with a blindingly fast left-hander.

Godspeed, Dan Kneen.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

In watching one of the documentaries on the TT one of the drivers (could have been Guy Martin) said something along the line of "that's why we do this, we're inches away from death. That's the attraction."

RIP
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

FifaInspected wrote:In watching one of the documentaries on the TT one of the drivers (could have been Guy Martin) said something along the line of "that's why we do this, we're inches away from death. That's the attraction."

RIP
And that's why the racing cliche, "He died doing what he loved," pisses me off so much. No motorsports competitor wants to crash and die.

I prefer, "He lived doing what he loved up until the last second." That captures the essence of how these riders -- and every driver and rider in racing -- rides the lightning bolt.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RIP Adam Lyon in the Supersport race at the Isle of Man TT. Second fatality of the event this year. Let's hope it's the last.

https://www.motorsport.com/roadracing/n ... h-1044454/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Honda just signed Jorge Lorenzo to partner Marc Marquez for 2 years, that's one helluva rider combo, wow!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Honda just signed Jorge Lorenzo to partner Marc Marquez for 2 years, that's one helluva rider combo, wow!
That's a big "if." We'll find out quickly if adapting to the unique geometry and riding style of the Ducati or if time has slowed Lorenzo.

Plus I don't think Lorenzo will adapt well to being the No. 2 rider on a Spanish team. Lorenzo's ego is more fragile than an eggshell, and he rides like a complete turd when he feels disrespected or neglected. Expect fireworks early next season in the Repsol Honda garage. Lorenzo will take the brunt of it, as Marquez is faster and also doesn't give a f*ck about politics and hurt feelings.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This requires balls of steel to drive an LMP2 race car on the limit at Le Mans in pitch black conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... tOePtCP0iw

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:This requires balls of steel to drive an LMP2 race car on the limit at Le Mans in pitch black conditions.

Very true. But they're still p*ssies compared to Isle of Man TT competitors. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:This requires balls of steel to drive an LMP2 race car on the limit at Le Mans in pitch black conditions.

Very true. But they're still p*ssies compared to Isle of Man TT competitors. :)
And I'll second your 'very true' !

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So I take it Audi bailed on Le Mans this year? The only news I read for the LMP1 class is Toyota. Wasn’t Porsche in that same class with Audi and Toyota?

Geez, Le Mans for me is difficult trying to figure out the rules and how everything works especially how the race winner is determined with different class of cars.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Andy Blackmore has once again produced an amazingly detailed and helpful spotters guide for the 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours:
http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/18_lm/

24 Hours of Le Mans 2018: a guide to the cars and drivers:
http://www.theweek.co.uk/94264/24-hours ... and-driver