Racing 2018

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing 2018

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Miami got the green light from F1 and is now waiting for city approval to be added to the F1 calendar starting in 2019-2028.
What a joke. That race's lifespan will be four years, tops.

Nobody in South Florida gives two sh*ts about racing. Look at the lineage of failed races in the area. Ralph Sanchez's CART-IMSA downtown Miami Grand Prix. Formula E near American Airlines Arena. IndyCar at Homestead. Hell, the NASCAR finale at Homestead, which seats only 46,000, doesn't sell out until race week.

Combine that apathy with the big sanctioning fee that Liberty will charge, and there's no way the race will make money. Even billionaire Stephen Ross won't willingly lose money as the race promoter for very long. Rich guys stay rich by making smart investments.

Hosting an F1 race is almost a guaranteed money-loser without government funding, even if the era of Bernie's automatic annual 10 percent escalator clauses in sanctioning contracts may be over.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Reports are that Nascrap is looking to sell. The Frances were handed down a sustainable racing series that was growing and instead they chose and made bad decisions after another. Nascrap is going to have problems finding new owners. They are losing their title sponsor, team sponsorship is way down because the big players like Lowes etc are leaving the sport. Team operations and costs of running a Nascar team is way up. The superstars like Earnhardt Jr and Jeff Gordon are gone and the young guns don't create a lot of interest and attention.

Then you add how Nascrap gave the middle finger to their loyal southern fanbase by spreading out across the US and it just raises more questions if Nascar is actually in worse shape than Indycars. At least F1 has the offseason and in-season soap operas and is still followed by close to a billion fans around the world. Yup way back in 2003 when Nascrap went with Nextel and signing those mega TV contracts and getting the playoff series did I see serious red flags. I'm surprised it took 15 yrs to get to this point. Supposedly the Dover race scored a 1.7 TV rating down from 1.9 last year. All the numbers Nascrap is looking at spells trouble.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Reports are that Nascrap is looking to sell. The Frances were handed down a sustainable racing series that was growing and instead they chose and made bad decisions after another. Nascrap is going to have problems finding new owners. They are losing their title sponsor, team sponsorship is way down because the big players like Lowes etc are leaving the sport. Team operations and costs of running a Nascar team is way up. The superstars like Earnhardt Jr and Jeff Gordon are gone and the young guns don't create a lot of interest and attention.

Then you add how Nascrap gave the middle finger to their loyal southern fanbase by spreading out across the US and it just raises more questions if Nascar is actually in worse shape than Indycars. At least F1 has the offseason and in-season soap operas and is still followed by close to a billion fans around the world. Yup way back in 2003 when Nascrap went with Nextel and signing those mega TV contracts and getting the playoff series did I see serious red flags. I'm surprised it took 15 yrs to get to this point. Supposedly the Dover race scored a 1.7 TV rating down from 1.9 last year. All the numbers Nascrap is looking at spells trouble.
Not surprising. What's the old adage about the third generation of family ownership ruining the family business? That's certainly the case with NASCAR.

Brian France is a moron. He doesn't care about racing, doesn't go to many races. It's the worst-kept secret in racing that the France family's power in Daytona Beach has kept Brian's follies after "chemical dalliances" out of the papers and police blotter.

But NASCAR is going nowhere. It's still the most popular form of motorsport in the United States, by far. The bubble has burst, and the sport is returning to the norm. The problem is that the floor of the norm is much lower for all forms of motorsport in the U.S. than it was 15 years ago.

Racing is dying in America. Legions of 30 and youngers don't care about the car as anything but an Uber or Lyft medium. The fan base of nearly every major form of racing in America -- NASCAR, IndyCar, NHRA and IMSA -- is 50-year-old white men. That's unsustainable.

IndyCar is growing, but it's very incremental and from almost a subterranean nadir. Still, I'm happy to see my favorite form of North American motorsport on the up, especially since the company I work for owns it! :)

I love the sport. I'm incredibly grateful that I have made a living in it for 30 years. But I'm glad I'm almost 53 and not 33, as I don't think professional, big-league racing will sustain in 30 years half of the jobs in America it does now.

Kills me to write that. But the truth always stabs deepest.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I’m afraid you’re right which explains why the FIA has made Formula 1 more road relevant, even dropping the iconic noise level to appease and appeal to public perception of what motor racing needs to be. Then you have the major car mfgs saying Formula E is the future and how car ownership in the future might change as well doesn’t paint a rosy picture for motor racing going forward. It’s good to see Indycars coming back even with all the drama during and after the split.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One other sign of the shaky future of auto racing: Ford announced 10 days ago that it will sell only two car models in North America in 2020, the Mustang and a Focus crossover. Every other vehicle in the Ford lineup will be an SUV or truck, and those vehicles will comprise 90 percent of Ford sales on these shores.

When a company is selling almost nothing but SUVs and trucks, why would it spend nine figures per year on various car racing programs? You don't see GMC in auto racing, right?

Chilling.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:One other sign of the shaky future of auto racing: Ford announced 10 days ago that it will sell only two car models in North America in 2020, the Mustang and a Focus crossover. Every other vehicle in the Ford lineup will be an SUV or truck, and those vehicles will comprise 90 percent of Ford sales on these shores.

When a company is selling almost nothing but SUVs and trucks, why would it spend nine figures per year on various car racing programs? You don't see GMC in auto racing, right?

Chilling.
Chilling indeed but you missed one besides Uber and Lyft and that is autonomous vehicles and supposedly Ford wants a piece of that pie. So add Uber, Lyft and driverless cars and your average gearhead has been replaced by tens of millions who no longer have ANY connection to car ownership and look at autoracing with both hands up and just shrug.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:One other sign of the shaky future of auto racing: Ford announced 10 days ago that it will sell only two car models in North America in 2020, the Mustang and a Focus crossover. Every other vehicle in the Ford lineup will be an SUV or truck, and those vehicles will comprise 90 percent of Ford sales on these shores.

Chilling.
Chilling indeed but you missed one besides Uber and Lyft and that is autonomous vehicles and supposedly Ford wants a piece of that pie. So add Uber, Lyft and driverless cars and your average gearhead has been replaced by tens of millions who no longer have ANY connection to car ownership and look at autoracing with both hands up and just shrug.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bull's eye, Rod. Well said, sadly.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:Racing is dying in America. Legions of 30 and younger don't care about the car as anything but an Uber or Lyft medium. The fan base of nearly every major form of racing in America -- NASCAR, IndyCar, NHRA and IMSA -- is 50-year-old white men. That's unsustainable.

IndyCar is growing, but it's very incremental and from almost a subterranean nadir. Still, I'm happy to see my favorite form of North American motorsport on the up, especially since the company I work for owns it! :)

I love the sport. I'm incredibly grateful that I have made a living in it for 30 years. But I'm glad I'm almost 53 and not 33, as I don't think professional, big-league racing will sustain in 30 years half of the jobs in America it does now.

Kills me to write that. But the truth always stabs deepest.
Hey, I resemble that remark! :) However, you are exactly correct, which is why my attitude for the last several years is just to enjoy every bit of racing that I can while it is still around. I am super excited for the month of May and to kick it off a look back 50 years to a great video released by Indycar of the 1968 Indy 500, which saw the end of the turbines and the first win of one of my early hero's Bobby Unser! I will also add Robin Miller's Tough Guy series on Uncle Bobby.

1968 Indianapolis 500

Robin Miller's Tough Guys: Bobby Unser

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I could watch BTCC 24/7. love that series.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Miami’s City Council approved the F1 race for next year. Now it moves into the negotiation phase.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

2018 Indianapolis 500 Practice: Tuesday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (LIVE)

Oh Yeah! Practice is underway for the 2018 Indy 500! Live streaming below. Man, I love that yellow Helio Castroneves Pennzoil car!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the heads up DChaps 8)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Here's your 2018 Indy 500 Digital Spotters' Guide:

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.c ... tter-guide

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

DChaps wrote:Oh Yeah! Practice is underway for the 2018 Indy 500! Live streaming below. Man, I love that yellow Helio Castroneves Pennzoil car!
Everyone calls it the yellow submarine, but to me that's Rutherford's Chaparral. I wish they would put the Z-7 Special name on the entry list to tie it back to the legendary Rick Mears rides the scheme emulates.

Man there are some good looking rides this year.

Going to be interesting to see which two cars are on the outside looking in come Saturday. If I had to make bets, my money would get spread between Kaiser, Leist, the Carlin guys, and Pippa.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Going to be interesting to see which two cars are on the outside looking in come Saturday. If I had to make bets, my money would get spread between Kaiser, Leist, the Carlin guys, and Pippa.
Agree on Kaiser and possibly one of the Carlin guys. Foyt's team was fast in the test, so I think Leist will get in. Pippa is in a Coyne car, and they were fast last year. Although Pippa's car had an electrical problem today, and she missed her refresher test. So she's already on the back foot.

I think Servia could be at risk if the Rahal team gets lost.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Good point about Foyt's cars, but I figure someone's going to end up in the wall Friday or Saturday morning and really mess up their chances. Leist seems like a candidate to do that.

The last couple years a team could just dial in a ton of downforce to get through 4 laps if that happened, not an option this time around.

I'm hoping Dreyer & Reinbold gets off to a good start, want to see both Hildenbrand and Karam make the show. But that's a team that doesn't have time to waste if they get lost on the setup.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:I'm hoping Dreyer & Reinbold gets off to a good start, want to see both Hildenbrand and Karam make the show. But that's a team that doesn't have time to waste if they get lost on the setup.
JR is a solid pair of hands who will make the show.

Karam is a prime candidate to be a pre-qualifying Harvey Wallbanger. The kid is incredibly brave and incredibly reckless. He nearly drove up half of Sato's gearbox in traffic today in a big-time near-miss.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I’m pretty pumped to be working from home on Friday, should be fun to watch practice with the boost turned up

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Rodster wrote:As for Leclerc lets hope and i'm sure Ferrari is watching that this isn't a Lance Stroll moment where he shined once. There was a lot of carnage in that race, lets see what he does in a semi-normal race environment.
A week late with this, but I've just emerged from the stupor induced by the Spanish Grand Prix and fancy banging my Charles Leclerc drum one more time. Neither out of place among nor overawed by the company he kept on race day, delivering a result somewhere above the car's natural position again.

Robert Kubica being 1.2 seconds faster than Lance Stroll in FP1 was interesting. Stroll got another 90 minutes in the afternoon and remained slower, as did Sergey Sirotkin, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just write $ergey $irotkin instead and have done with it. With that said, I think Stroll is doing a very good job of getting the maximum from his Sunday afternoons and suspect the spirits of Fangio, Rosemeyer and Senna combined night struggle for regular points in that thing.

Other than that...Crofty works for a digital satellite company whose business model is subscription-driven, so he's obliged to tell you that it wasn't that bad a race and that we've seen worse in Barcelona. Spouting a load of bollocks repeatedly doesn't stop it being bollocks.

Which SPM driver is going to find themselves swapping places with Hinch next Sunday, then? I'm assuming nobody's going to be all that pleased if the quick, marketable Honda spokesman isn't seen outside of a commercial break?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Crofty’s got nothing on Darrell Waltrip when it comes to shilling. Boogity, mate.

My immediate thought is that Jay Howard gets a check and moves aside. Seems the easiest move, a one-off from the same team without the Shank partnership. Are there any other Hondas that could be for sale? De Melo, Daly, Servia would seem to be the only options. Coyne could probably use some extra cash since Mann didn’t make it.

Chevy turned my expectations upside down, expected to see Honda leading the way this month.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I tend to be a traditionalist when it comes to all things Indy, but I have thought since the 90's that bumping should only be for the one offs or maybe if you are in the top 20 in points you can't be bumped unless you just get no qualifying time whatsoever. Rahal missing in 1993 when he was the defending Indycar champ, and the Penske's in 1995 made bump day interesting, but it hurt bad for the drivers and the fans. I have absolutely no quotes or articles to back this up, but I have always thought Little Al missing in 1995 when he was the defending Indycar champ and 500 winner, followed by the split in 1996 and him not getting back to Indy for several years, had to have had something to do with his eventual downward spiral. When you had 26 to 30 cars and teams competing every race and Indy racing was healthy, it was cool to see the little guy make it, but it just seems detrimental to the sport now when everyone is barely hanging on to sponsorships. Still a pretty enjoyable week so far!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:2018 Indianapolis 500 Practice: Tuesday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (LIVE)

Oh Yeah! Practice is underway for the 2018 Indy 500! Live streaming below. Man, I love that yellow Helio Castroneves Pennzoil car!

DChaps, do you have a link to the other Indy 500 events on Youtube? I can't find them.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

All the official Indycar videos and streams at the link below. I think some of the weekend coverage since it was ABC/ESPN could be found in the ESPN app:

https://www.youtube.com/user/indycars/videos

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:All the official Indycar videos and streams at the link below. I think some of the weekend coverage since it was ABC/ESPN could be found in the ESPN app:

https://www.youtube.com/user/indycars/videos
Thanks !

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Anyone know if there will be any Isle of Man tv coverage in the states?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected