OT: Out of a Job

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Out of a Job

Post by grtwhtsk »

Sorry guys that I haven't posted in a long time. No excuses, just life...

Then, just over 2 weeks ago, I lost my job. For the past 5 years, I had been an Independent Contractor for Comcast, doing accounting work. Now they are bringing what I was doing, in-house, so no need for me. Being a contractor, I am not eligible for unemployment compensation.

With most of our savings eaten by medical debt, we will be broke at some point in March if I can't find work. I have so far sent out over 140 applications online. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

I thought I had hit rock bottom with my daughter's illness, but not being able to provide for my family, is the scariest thing I have ever felt. The thought of my kids having to leave the area to possibly move in with relatives just turns my stomach. They love where they live, and have a great base of friends. If necessary, I will move anywhere to work, and send money back so that they can live where they love. My kids are everything to me, and if it means living apart to keep them where they love, I will surely do it.

This Christmas will be really rough. In the past, we have just loved to fill up all the room under the tree....with the kids taking their time opening their presents. They are good kids, and they will understand that this year will be different. We understand that we are still more fortunate than many people out there.

Again, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers....and if you know anyone, anywhere....who could use a hard working accountant (willing to do stuff outside accounting), please let me know. Again, I will go anywhere for my family.

Take care guys, and I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Out of a Job

Post by sportdan30 »

Steve,

Very sorry to hear the bad news. Take it from someone who has been there a few times, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. And I hope it happens sooner than later.

I'm going to send you a PM. I have a friend who specializes in recruiting and staffing in the Accounting field.

Good luck and keep your head up!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope it all works out. Hopefully a turn for the better is just around the corner.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

There is never a good time for something like this to happen. I hope you find a new opportunity very soon.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Steve, I know it's hard to think positively now, but I firmly believe that Semisonic's words "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end" fits here. Have faith that a new door will open for you and it will. You've been very proactive so far in marketing yourself and that's a good sign. There's a demand out there for your talents and you'll hook up with something that's even more lucrative than what you had... I'm confident of it.

By the way Steve, ask your wife if she is somehow related to Darrel Burkett. He's a good friend of mine and we only live like 35 miles apart. I told him about Tracy's blog and he somehow thinks there might be a distant relation there.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hang in there, Steve. It's a cliche, but good things do happen to good people. And you're one of the best dudes here at DSP.

Good luck. A great opportunity will arise for you. Believe it!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Damn, good luck Steve. Sometimes the suprise layoffs are the best thing for you. Happened to me last year. Got let go at a hospital where I was doing some data analysis work for the past 3-4 years. Got a similar job working from home, for 60 hospitals nationwide, and making 30% more. Soooo...yeah it works out sometimes. So keep your head up and keep grinding. You'll get something even better.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Life is such a b!tch at times and everything seems more chaotic especially at this time of the year. Wishing you the best of luck in finding a new job, as others have posted a closed door may mean bigger and better things in your near future. Continuous prayers for your family and your daughter. Stay strong and you know the entire DSP family is pulling for you.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:Hang in there, Steve. It's a cliche, but good things do happen to good people. And you're one of the best dudes here at DSP.

Good luck. A great opportunity will arise for you. Believe it!
Co Signed!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

My thoughts are with you and your family. I know this isn't career advice, but a good way to make some money in the meantime is to look into uber or Amazon flex delivery. Amazon flex delivery has you delivering packages in your personal car. I think pay is 20-25 an hour.

A guy I know lost his job and drove for uber for a while. He makes around $1k per week, so not too shabby in the interim.

Good luck sir

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

J_Cauthen wrote: By the way Steve, ask your wife if she is somehow related to Darrel Burkett. He's a good friend of mine and we only live like 35 miles apart. I told him about Tracy's blog and he somehow thinks there might be a distant relation there.
My wife's name is Rachel and she is from Ohio. Where is Darrel Burkett from?

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Thanks all for the kind words of support. I am sure that I will be reading them over and over, as support is what I need right now. I feel so helpless as my family looks to me....holding my tears and fears in are the hardest part.

--Steve

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

grtwhtsk wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: By the way Steve, ask your wife if she is somehow related to Darrel Burkett. He's a good friend of mine and we only live like 35 miles apart. I told him about Tracy's blog and he somehow thinks there might be a distant relation there.
My wife's name is Rachel and she is from Ohio. Where is Darrel Burkett from?
Somewhere in all of this, I thought I'd picked up on a Burkett being in the picture, and a Tracy. Darrel has a cousin in the Concord area, and I thought there might be a connection. It's been a while since I read the earlier stages of your wife's blog, and I'm getting senile in my Autumn years :wink:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

We have an opening https://www.bandwidth.com/careers/openi ... jid=897072

Have a couple others as well that say accountant/auditor.

If you apply, let me know and I can help get you noticed.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Sudz wrote:We have an opening https://www.bandwidth.com/careers/openi ... jid=897072

Have a couple others as well that say accountant/auditor.

If you apply, let me know and I can help get you noticed.
Thank you! I will definitely give it a look!