Xbox One X Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox One X Impressions

Post by Wilk5280 »

Up the difficulty

Tomb Raider is another one with nice improvements on the X. Wow!
GT = Wilk5280

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:So I played a full game of Madden and it is so smooth and fast it might make the game too easy for me. Speedy guys who can cut on a dime are damn near impossible to tackle, I had like 480 yards of offense in the 3rd quarter of a game. Sure looks pretty though.
Similarly, I found NBA2K18 to be ‘easier’ now that its smooth as butter. Hitting jumpers seemed easier. Also, NBA Live 18’s framerate issues are cleared up. The performance of the games are stunning.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

The load times in Destiny 2 are insanely short. What used to feel like mins are now seconds. Nearly worth that alone!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Can't get over how gorgeous Forza 7 looks and plays. Very happy with the X and the game.

Madden looks equally as good. You can honestly be tricked in to thinking the cut scenes are from a real game on tv. I'll have to lower the game speed as it plays too fast for my taste.

The 4K enhancement of NBA Live didn't change my opinion of the game, but it undeniably looks really nice from the broadcast view.

FIFA 18 doesn't look any different IMO from the PS4 Pro version. Still plays a good fun game of soccer.

Watched about 15 minutes of Planet Earth 2 just to get a sense of how the 4K looked.....jaw drop. Truly amazing. Looking forward to watching this.

Looks like I'll be keeping my eye out for an external hard drive. I've passed on some good deals, but it's inevitable that 1 TB is just not enough space for these 4K games.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:Dan,

I ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Drive-St ... xbox&psc=1
Thanks. I probably won't need one that big......hopefully. I think I'm going to pick up the following at lunch:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easysto ... Id=5792405

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

EA Access SWBF 2 available
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:EA Access SWBF 2 available
Started the campaign. Very cool so far :). Gorgeous game. On Endor right now...WOW. Holy s***..Unreal.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looks like you can only play the first 2 or 3 missions in the campaign with the Access trial.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wouldn't know, started my download 3 hours ago and it is at 54%
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Damn, Kamino is... wow.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, I liked the campaign missions that were available. Other than the dragged-out intro where you're sneaking around and cannot be detected yet cannot fly up and simply avoid them, which felt very game-y and forced, I really got into it. I wanted to see more of the story, which was cool.

I could see having some fun lightsaber duels with my kids, as well. The split screen mode is nice. I never played SWBF more than a couple of times, so if they had that, I probably could have played around a bit with it.

But I gotta admit, I'm a graphics whore, but that's no shock to anybody here, probably. I never played SWBF on XBox because it looked like raw ass compared to the PC version. I stayed away from Xbox One games in general for so long because compared to the PS4, they looked horrible, and compared to PC, they were even worse. Why play Ghost Recon in an upscaled 720p resolution (I don't know what it really was, I didn't look it up just now, but I know it looked like sh*t compared to the other platforms) when I can go to PS4 Pro and play it in 4K, or on my PC in ultrawidescreen at greater than 60FPS? Xbox One X has really been a home run for me so far. Everything I throw at it is gorgeous, and while the 30FPS cap on most games is a bit of a let-down (which I expect to change as developers get a better handle on the hardware), at least it's not a 30FPS cap AND a bunch of jagged images everywhere that stick out like a sore thumb to me, because they don't exist on PS4 or PC.

I like the XBox Elite controller, so playing 4K console games on my preferred controller is like putting on a comfortable pair of jeans again. I am looking forward to seeing if the "shiny new console smell" wears off and it takes a backseat to PC gaming again, but I am having a tough time mentally justifying massive PC upgrade costs if I can get games in 4K on my XBox for an already-invested $500. For crying out loud, my video cards in my PC alone were almost triple that when I purchased them, so relatively speaking, it's a steal.

Absolutely LOVE what the X1X has given me so far.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:I like the XBox Elite controller, so playing 4K console games on my preferred controller is like putting on a comfortable pair of jeans again. I am looking forward to seeing if the "shiny new console smell" wears off and it takes a backseat to PC gaming again, but I am having a tough time mentally justifying massive PC upgrade costs if I can get games in 4K on my XBox for an already-invested $500. For crying out loud, my video cards in my PC alone were almost triple that when I purchased them, so relatively speaking, it's a steal.

That's where I'm at now too. Never bought multi-platform games on the Xbox One, now I'm rebuying games on it instead of the PS4/PC versions. Pretty sure I'm not going to be upgrading my PC anytime soon. It's been a year and I really don't play much on it anymore.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yep, dare i saw Ghost Recon looks as good, if not better than my $4000 PC Rig, mainly because of the HDR.

I'm not a big fan of the UI on the system anymore but games look great, plays fast and load times are insane. Can't wait to see a game taking full advantage of the system like Anthem.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:I like the XBox Elite controller, so playing 4K console games on my preferred controller is like putting on a comfortable pair of jeans again. I am looking forward to seeing if the "shiny new console smell" wears off and it takes a backseat to PC gaming again, but I am having a tough time mentally justifying massive PC upgrade costs if I can get games in 4K on my XBox for an already-invested $500. For crying out loud, my video cards in my PC alone were almost triple that when I purchased them, so relatively speaking, it's a steal.

That's where I'm at now too. Never bought multi-platform games on the Xbox One, now I'm rebuying games on it instead of the PS4/PC versions. Pretty sure I'm not going to be upgrading my PC anytime soon. It's been a year and I really don't play much on it anymore.
Have not opened my X yet due to the wife sticking to her guns that I can't open til Christmas....

I'm in the same boat with you guys and what I am hearing about TGC2 on the X is enough for me to start playing on the X exclusively as there is just something about playing on the Elite controller and a 65" 4K HDR screen.....not interested in upgrading my PC anytime soon and hoping the X justifies that....

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DivotMaker wrote:Have not opened my X yet due to the wife sticking to her guns that I can't open til Christmas....
That is absolutely brutal!!!
DivotMaker wrote:I'm in the same boat with you guys and what I am hearing about TGC2 on the X is enough for me to start playing on the X exclusively as there is just something about playing on the Elite controller and a 65" 4K HDR screen.....not interested in upgrading my PC anytime soon and hoping the X justifies that....
I'm confident you'll be pleased. I mean, really...I think Scott, Dan, and myself are probably 3 of the biggest PC-gaming nuts on this board, and I was surprised (or maybe not?) to see that we're all thinking the same thing. Until PCs start doing 8K (and really, what will the big difference be when you go over 4K? How much "clearer" can it get???), there's no benefit to pouring obscene amounts of money into a PC. Developers will never use all of that power, because they have to code for the lowest possible denominator. So you have all of this unused horsepower in the PC that never gets used...you just keep throwing more at it to overpower the developer's under-performing code, and hope for the best.

With this thing, if it's pushing out 4K that's crystal clear, even if I'm sitting 5 feet from a 55" screen, what more do I need? If games start consistently hitting 60FPS AND 4K with HDR...I am probably done with PC gaming outside of MMOs or some PC-exclusive games, of which there aren't many.

And on one hand, I can type this and think we're as far as we can get. But I still remember seeing Madden 2001 on the PS2 and thinking "THAT'S SO REAL!!!". So I realize this could look hilarious in 10 years, but whatever. I really think we've pushed resolution about as far as we can before we start hitting diminishing returns. With 4K, the jaggies are all gone, whether you antialias or not. With those gone, the next step is achieving better and better lighting, which HDR is getting started on.

You combine those things in the next year or two, and I think we're at a really special place in console gaming.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote: I'm confident you'll be pleased. I mean, really...I think Scott, Dan, and myself are probably 3 of the biggest PC-gaming nuts on this board, and I was surprised (or maybe not?) to see that we're all thinking the same thing. Until PCs start doing 8K (and really, what will the big difference be when you go over 4K? How much "clearer" can it get???), there's no benefit to pouring obscene amounts of money into a PC. Developers will never use all of that power, because they have to code for the lowest possible denominator. So you have all of this unused horsepower in the PC that never gets used...you just keep throwing more at it to overpower the developer's under-performing code, and hope for the best.

With this thing, if it's pushing out 4K that's crystal clear, even if I'm sitting 5 feet from a 55" screen, what more do I need? If games start consistently hitting 60FPS AND 4K with HDR...I am probably done with PC gaming outside of MMOs or some PC-exclusive games, of which there aren't many.

And on one hand, I can type this and think we're as far as we can get. But I still remember seeing Madden 2001 on the PS2 and thinking "THAT'S SO REAL!!!". So I realize this could look hilarious in 10 years, but whatever. I really think we've pushed resolution about as far as we can before we start hitting diminishing returns. With 4K, the jaggies are all gone, whether you antialias or not. With those gone, the next step is achieving better and better lighting, which HDR is getting started on.

You combine those things in the next year or two, and I think we're at a really special place in console gaming.
Couldn't agree more. I will not ditch PC gaming anytime soon too many games that don't make it to the console I like especially in the quirky RPG department but man I love the X.

I saw guys at OS, obviously PS4 Pro guys claiming the 1X version of madden was identical. One guy went so far to claim 1X users saying it is better must be using a high end HDMI cable WTF?

No way did I think Madden would be a showcase for 4K and HDR but it is.

Also someone told me that free Insects thing for download is a calibration software in disguise so i will try it out tonight,
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:I saw guys at OS, obviously PS4 Pro guys claiming the 1X version of madden was identical. One guy went so far to claim 1X users saying it is better must be using a high end HDMI cable WTF?
I have both versions and the X version is quite a bit better looking. It was instantly noticeable to me who's been playing Madden for a few months on the PS4 Pro. If The Show wasn't my favorite game, I'd probably just ditch the Pro even tho the interface is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the X.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I saw guys at OS, obviously PS4 Pro guys claiming the 1X version of madden was identical. One guy went so far to claim 1X users saying it is better must be using a high end HDMI cable WTF?
I have both versions and the X version is quite a bit better looking. It was instantly noticeable to me who's been playing Madden for a few months on the PS4 Pro. If The Show wasn't my favorite game, I'd probably just ditch the Pro even tho the interface is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the X.
I'm just not sure why EA didn't put the same graphical treatment on FIFA... I think everyone needs that key software title that makes them giddy thinking about improved graphics etc...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fanatic wrote:I'm just not sure why EA didn't put the same graphical treatment on FIFA... I think everyone needs that key software title that makes them giddy thinking about improved graphics etc...
Yeah not sure. It looks marginally better, but nothing spectacular. I play more FIFA than I do any other game right now, so it is kind of disappointing.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

If anyone hears anything about Wolfenstein 2 on the X, let me know! That's a title that could help sway me towards an X if it's an upgrade from the Pro.

Also - does the X upscale regular blu rays nicely? My wife an I are building a huge Studio Ghibli blu ray collection, so it would be nice to play them on something more powerful.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

It's great to read all of these glowing reviews for the X, but it's not going to make my wait until March (when I can purchase it and a 55" 4K display with my annual bonus check) any easier! I really wasn't expecting to read that Madden is that much better in 4K HDR! Maybe between now and March, HB Studios can crank out an X enhanced version of The Golf Club 2? .... now I'm asking for too much, I honestly don't see that happening.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Have not opened my X yet due to the wife sticking to her guns that I can't open til Christmas....
That is absolutely brutal!!!
DivotMaker wrote:I'm in the same boat with you guys and what I am hearing about TGC2 on the X is enough for me to start playing on the X exclusively as there is just something about playing on the Elite controller and a 65" 4K HDR screen.....not interested in upgrading my PC anytime soon and hoping the X justifies that....
I'm confident you'll be pleased. I mean, really...I think Scott, Dan, and myself are probably 3 of the biggest PC-gaming nuts on this board, and I was surprised (or maybe not?) to see that we're all thinking the same thing. Until PCs start doing 8K (and really, what will the big difference be when you go over 4K? How much "clearer" can it get???), there's no benefit to pouring obscene amounts of money into a PC. Developers will never use all of that power, because they have to code for the lowest possible denominator. So you have all of this unused horsepower in the PC that never gets used...you just keep throwing more at it to overpower the developer's under-performing code, and hope for the best.

Yeah, I think I can get to the X sooner than that, but have to play my cards right. She is looking at a new vehicle, so that may be my chance.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.....I am very much looking forward to the X and NOT upgrading my PC anytime soon (I could spend a large sum of money for minimal improvements right now like you guys).....

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
If EA could clean up a vast majority of the the clipping that occurs after the whistle, the game would be nothing short of spectacular. I'm just amazed how incredibly smooth this game looks and I know I've stated that more than a couple times. It really makes a difference and unfortunately shows how far behind some of their other titles are.

I wish EA or 2K would develop a baseball game so I could consolidate my gaming down to two consoles. I'm much more impressed with the One X than I thought I would be.

I'm still not a big fan of the OS interface (getting more used to it), but everything is much snappier than ever before.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Wish my 4k tv had HDR. All these reports are making me jealous. Will be a hard sell to get my wife to agree to another TV purchase.