Xbox One X Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox One X Impressions

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Oh, I love the stick tensioning feature the new XBox One controllers have. I set my Elite controller aside for my two rounds in TGC2 and played with more rigid stick tension on full shots, and normal on touch shots and putts.... pretty dang cool. It almost seems like an unfair advantage ???

Suffice it to say, I'm sure I won't have any regrets about buying an X with a 1080 HDTV for now, but it's for dang sure I'm going to be in Nirvana when I buy a 4K Ultra HD display in March!
First of all congratz on not stalling any longer on your new shiny toy. One thing I have not tried yet, is the new controller. Did you say advanatge? I have zero faith on Xbox controllers, because no matter what paint is on the outside, I find that the LS (maybe I am overusing it when I play hockey and Fifa) is the first part that breaks for me. Hearing that people pay a fortune for the Elite and still are having issues is not what I would call 'Elite'.

Enjoy your TGC2 and race games, good luck on your TV.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:First of all congratz on not stalling any longer on your new shiny toy. One thing I have not tried yet, is the new controller. Did you say advanatge? I have zero faith on Xbox controllers, because no matter what paint is on the outside, I find that the LS (maybe I am overusing it when I play hockey and Fifa) is the first part that breaks for me. Hearing that people pay a fortune for the Elite and still are having issues is not what I would call 'Elite'.
I'm not sure it's an advantage for everyone. It seems to suit my swing better for full shots with the tension engaged, but I lose touch on pitches, chips, and putts with it engaged. Also, I'm able to regulate my swing path better with the stick that came with XBox One X better than any of my other three XBox One stock controllers, even with the tension normal. I can't therefore attribute my higher accuracy purely with the higher tension because of this.

My Elite controller has taken a lot of abnormal abuse. I had it pulled out of my hands by the USB cord early on when the cord got tangled up in my legs. I was using it to play on the PC and when I stood up, my leg caused the slack to go out of the cord and the controller hit the floor hard... that's when my right bumper broke. My grandson has since lost the battery compartment cover and one of the normal length thumbsticks. They're magnetically attached and he loves pulling them off and on. I have the normal stick for the left stick (swing stick) and a tall stick for the right. The battery compartment cover is now some black duct tape.

I ordered two new bumpers for my Elite controller, and the Torx driver needed to take the controller apart for $12 on Tuesday. They're supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll have a fully functional Elite controller once I replace the broken operator on the right one. I read that this is a common problem with the Elite controller, and it comes mostly from people dropping the controller.
Enjoy your TGC2 and race games, good luck on your TV.
Thanks, it's already surpassed my expectations. I just downloaded Project CARS 2 demo, which is X enhanced. I'm anxious to compare it to Project CARS 1, which played beautifully for me last night. I got some NBA 2K 18 waiting in the wings after that.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Funny the decisions MS makes on it's hardware. Last gen the 360 was a piece of sh*t until MS finally fixed the engineering flaws but the 360 controllers were damn near bullet proof. This gen the original XONE was damn near bullet proof but their wireless controllers are and continue to be a piece of sh*t.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Rodster wrote:Funny the decisions MS makes on it's hardware. Last gen the 360 was a piece of sh*t until MS finally fixed the engineering flaws but the 360 controllers were damn near bullet proof. This gen the original XONE was damn near bullet proof but their wireless controllers are and continue to be a piece of sh*t.

Does not compute. The only controller I had issues with was back on the 360. I ruined a LS, but it was because I was pushing way too hard on it all the time. I realized what I was doing and stopped.

The controllers this gen have been great. I thin adding the headphone port was smart, if a little late. But other than the one 360 controller, I've never had a single issue with my Xbox controllers. Of course, I've had no issues with any other controllers I've owned, either. Well, I did tear up more than a couple Atari 2600 joysticks. Played many games with the white plastic stick after the rubber cover came off.

Been using the new controller with the X, and it's great in every way. I still mostly use the Elite, but I don't get the shitty controller stuff people say.

Also, getting Atmos sound for any headphone via my controller is flat out awesome.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Aristo wrote:Also, getting Atmos sound for any headphone via my controller is flat out awesome.
I didn't know this was available... WOW! Thanks for the heads-up,

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Aristo wrote: Well, I did tear up more than a couple Atari 2600 joysticks. Played many games with the white plastic stick after the rubber cover came off.
I remember having a half dozen of those joysticks and tearing them apart to make a couple of good working sticks. Every joystick ended up with at least 2 of those 4 metal buttons getting cracked in half and not registering an input, good times. :)

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

A quick report on my Project CARS 2 demo trial with the X; it is darn near perfect with the default settings and my Thrustmaster TX Leather wheel and T3PA pedals. I was surprised at how much more nuanced PC 2's force effects are compared to Forza 7. I'm going to spend some more time with the demo, and may eventually buy PC 2. It's frame rate is not quite up to Forza 7's level, but it's manageable. It doesn't get the 4K upgrade in its X enhancement, only the UHR treatment.

It's a solid game as it is and I probably would be more juiced about it had I not had the driving experience of my life last night with Forza 7 on the X!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With HDMI 2.1 announced, would this cable even make the Xbox X edge to another level?

http://www.avsforum.com/hdmi-2-1-specif ... -released/

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Aristo wrote:Also, getting Atmos sound for any headphone via my controller is flat out awesome.
I didn't know this was available... WOW! Thanks for the heads-up,
Probably a dumb question but what is Atmos?

Never mind...Google is my friend :). Just downloaded the app from the MS Store.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looks like Atmos needs to be purchased ($14.99) for the XBOX. Windows Sonic is free however.
I got the Turtle Beach PX24 headphones on Black Friday so I’ll let out my inner PK (cheapness :)) and go with the free one.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Diablo25 wrote:Looks like Atmos needs to be purchased ($14.99) for the XBOX. Windows Sonic is free however.
I got the Turtle Beach PX24 headphones on Black Friday so I’ll let out my inner PK (cheapness :)) and go with the free one.
I paid the $15, and feel like it was worth it. I use my headphones for a lot of late night TV watching, and Atmos has been pretty nice.

Since you already got a new set of cans, this won't be of much use to you, but Plantronics new XB1 wireless headsets, the Rig 800LX not only look like a damn good product, they come with a prepaid code for the Atmos app. They are $150, which is not to bad.

I'm planning on some new headphones, but I'm not sure these are what I am going with. Also considering the Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2, which are not gaming headphones, but will also serve as wireless headsets for my iPhone, as well as connecting to my controller. I don't think they will enable chat for gaming, but I don't chat much as it is. I can always switch out if I need to chat.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

How do you adjust the stick tension on the controllers?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Aristo wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Looks like Atmos needs to be purchased ($14.99) for the XBOX. Windows Sonic is free however.
I paid the $15, and feel like it was worth it. I use my headphones for a lot of late night TV watching, and Atmos has been pretty nice.

Since you already got a new set of cans, this won't be of much use to you, but Plantronics new XB1 wireless headsets, the Rig 800LX not only look like a damn good product, they come with a prepaid code for the Atmos app. They are $150, which is not to bad.

I'm planning on some new headphones, but I'm not sure these are what I am going with. Also considering the Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2, which are not gaming headphones, but will also serve as wireless headsets for my iPhone, as well as connecting to my controller. I don't think they will enable chat for gaming, but I don't chat much as it is. I can always switch out if I need to chat.
I have the plantronics rig 800lx and really like them. Very comfortable with good sound quality. I'm no audiophile, but I can't imagine a game headset sounding much better. I've been using the TB XP500's for God knows how long and the Rig 800 is definitely an upgrade.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:I'm planning on some new headphones, but I'm not sure these are what I am going with. Also considering the Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2, which are not gaming headphones, but will also serve as wireless headsets for my iPhone, as well as connecting to my controller. I don't think they will enable chat for gaming, but I don't chat much as it is. I can always switch out if I need to chat.
Spend a little more and grab the V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless. By far my favorite bluetooth headphones...and they have a boom mic accessory that you can use the headphone for chat as a wired headphone from your Xbox Controller. They sound fantastic in both wired and wireless mode as you don't need battery power to listen if you run out of juice. Seriously, the money is worth it @ around 300 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade ... 2TJSD?th=1

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

greggsand wrote:How do you adjust the stick tension on the controllers?
Grab the swing stick with your thumb and index finger, and pull up just a bit on the stick... just as if you're trying to pull it out of the controller. You'll feel it latch in the slightly more elevated position. It's stay there until you take a practice swing in TGC 2, which requires you to push the swing stick in to put it in practice swing mode.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Excellent article James; thanks for linking that! This guy knows what he's talking about.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Somehow I can see Sony deciding when it's time to announce the PS5. MS will counter with a console even better than the XONEX. I'm going to wait for the smoke to clear.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I’m positive that is Microsoft’s gameplay. They are treating the Xbox as what we all thought the Steambox was going to be. Keep the OS and build off of that. Devs will have a million times easier developing for the Xbox because it will all be essentialy the same environment. Like Steam, you will buy games that will always work as the hardware upgrades.

I do think Microsoft needs to improve the s*** out of their PC store and overall gaming experience if they truly want to make this work. If they do that, they have a decent shot at getting some of those exclusives they don’t have to moneyhat.

It will just start to be the preferred platform. But that is a long ways off with the massive install base Sony has created with the PS4. My guess is that they want Sony to launch the PS5 sooner than later. They will have a new console ready to drop with any Sony release, one that will be compatible with all your Xbox stuff day one. Will Sony follow MS’s lead on that. They risk losing their install base if they start over.
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Aristo wrote:I'm planning on some new headphones, but I'm not sure these are what I am going with. Also considering the Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2, which are not gaming headphones, but will also serve as wireless headsets for my iPhone, as well as connecting to my controller. I don't think they will enable chat for gaming, but I don't chat much as it is. I can always switch out if I need to chat.
Spend a little more and grab the V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless. By far my favorite bluetooth headphones...and they have a boom mic accessory that you can use the headphone for chat as a wired headphone from your Xbox Controller. They sound fantastic in both wired and wireless mode as you don't need battery power to listen if you run out of juice. Seriously, the money is worth it @ around 300 on Amazon:

Thanks. I’ll put those on the list to check out. They look great.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I've thought about getting a good set of headphones, but I'm such a sports talk radio junkie that I'm usually listening to either live, or podcasts of our local WFNZ (Charlotte) station as I game. I'm not sure I could seal myself off from that, but once I heat ATMOS over a quality headset, I might be able to wean myself off of it.

BTW, one of my favorite things to do with my new XBox One X is race the 67 Lotus or Ferrari F1 cars at the classic F1 tracks. There's something about the way the X translates the handling forces of these beasts in a way that you can feel the slop in the frame, and how the car reacts when the slop runs out. It's constantly giving me feedback through the wheel on my Thrustmaster TX and I'd better be paying attention to it if I want to stay competitive with the better than average Drivatars I'm racing with!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

FYI, hope none of you have to send your X in for repair or replacement. MS does NOT get in a hurry to get the new one out to you.

I opted for "Advanced Replacement" this past Monday and was told that it would cost me $15 and they send me out the new box in turn I send the old one back to them in the same pre-paid shipping box. They also put a $515.00 hold on your credit card in case you fail to send the defective unit back which is only fair. I was also told the new unit would ship on Tuesday. It did not ship til Thursday and won't get here til Monday. I almost cancelled the replacement in a call to them and then I would have returned this one to BB and gotten the standard X1X. They told me it would take several days to cancel the order so I told them I would call back today if it had not shipped. It managed to ship yesterday right after I called them......

The other way they replace units is you send yours in, then they have the discretion to repair yours or send you a new one. I did not want to leave that up to them and that certainly sounded like the longest route to getting a new one.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:FYI, hope none of you have to send your X in for repair or replacement. MS does NOT get in a hurry to get the new one out to you.

I opted for "Advanced Replacement" this past Monday and was told that it would cost me $15 and they send me out the new box in turn I send the old one back to them in the same pre-paid shipping box. They also put a $515.00 hold on your credit card in case you fail to send the defective unit back which is only fair. I was also told the new unit would ship on Tuesday. It did not ship til Thursday and won't get here til Monday. I almost cancelled the replacement in a call to them and then I would have returned this one to BB and gotten the standard X1X. They told me it would take several days to cancel the order so I told them I would call back today if it had not shipped. It managed to ship yesterday right after I called them......

The other way they replace units is you send yours in, then they have the discretion to repair yours or send you a new one. I did not want to leave that up to them and that certainly sounded like the longest route to getting a new one.
Again...the only time I buy replacement plans are for Microsoft consoles. Too many bad experiences with them. Case in point.

Hopefully it all works out but sheesh what a pain in the ass. #firstworldproblems

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:FYI, hope none of you have to send your X in for repair or replacement. MS does NOT get in a hurry to get the new one out to you.

Again...the only time I buy replacement plans are for Microsoft consoles. Too many bad experiences with them. Case in point.

Hopefully it all works out but sheesh what a pain in the ass. #firstworldproblems
Ditto....too many replaced 360's that I never buy an MS console without a plan.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

OUch, $411 for those bad boys up here in Canuckland.

I have been thinking of getting some decent headphones for late night movie watching, or games. I'd probably be more apt to watch movies if i wasn't disturbing everyone (I'm usually the last to bed).

I assume any headphones with Atmos or "surround sound" is just virtual, correct? For those of you with headphones, is "virtual" almost as good as a nice 5.1 speaker setup for sound placements, locations, etc?
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!