Xbox One X Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox One X Impressions

Post by vader29 »

For some reason the games don't look as good with HDR on with my KS8000 using the Xbox, picture gets darker and washed out, was very noticeable in Madden and Battlefront 2. Turned off HDR in the Xbox settings and with just 4K, the picture looks great. Using the insects demo, the HDR looked better but the games just aren't popping for me. Watching 4K HDR videos on the youtube app on a Roku box looks great, just don't understand why the games don't look better with HDR.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Bakes wrote:Wish my 4k tv had HDR. All these reports are making me jealous. Will be a hard sell to get my wife to agree to another TV purchase.
Best Buy has the Sony 900E 4K set for $1500 for Black Friday. Hoping to convince the wife that it would be a great upgrade to what we have.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vader29 wrote:For some reason the games don't look as good with HDR on with my KS8000 using the Xbox, picture gets darker and washed out, was very noticeable in Madden and Battlefront 2. Turned off HDR in the Xbox settings and with just 4K, the picture looks great. Using the insects demo, the HDR looked better but the games just aren't popping for me. Watching 4K HDR videos on the youtube app on a Roku box looks great, just don't understand why the games don't look better with HDR.
Have you gone through and calibrated the TV, sorry I don't know how long you've had it. When I first got mine last year I had similar issues and I went through and calibrated it off of some website and it eliminated my issue. I wish I could recall the site.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Danimal wrote:
vader29 wrote:For some reason the games don't look as good with HDR on with my KS8000 using the Xbox, picture gets darker and washed out, was very noticeable in Madden and Battlefront 2. Turned off HDR in the Xbox settings and with just 4K, the picture looks great. Using the insects demo, the HDR looked better but the games just aren't popping for me. Watching 4K HDR videos on the youtube app on a Roku box looks great, just don't understand why the games don't look better with HDR.
Have you gone through and calibrated the TV, sorry I don't know how long you've had it. When I first got mine last year I had similar issues and I went through and calibrated it off of some website and it eliminated my issue. I wish I could recall the site.
Yeah, my experience with my Sony is similar. HDR enables its own mode that must be calibrated independently.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Had the tv since January of this year, just don't get why HDR looks great with the Roku box and not with games on the Xbox. Perhaps I'll do some more googling for HDR settings over the weekend but right now the games are looking great with just 4K and HDR off.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I didn't get the HDR right til last night

Used the settings from this site rtings.com that Diablo linked me to. Then trial and error.

Was a pain in the ass but Madden went from grayed
out to beautiful.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:I didn't get the HDR right til last night

Used the settings from this site rtings.com that Diablo linked me to. Then trial and error.

Was a pain in the ass but Madden went from grayed
out to beautiful.

KS8000 settings
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsun ... 0/settings
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For HDR games I have the contrast and backlight set to Max. Apparently the Samsung TV can handle the max contrast setting without clipping.

Picture mode: Movie

Set the color space to native to use the extra colors and color tone warm 2. Dynamic contrast on High and smart LED on High. Some argue about the Dynamic contrast setting but for me under my current lights and room condition anything lower than High, I can see the dullness difference in your picture.

Make sure you have the latest firmware update.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:For HDR games I have the contrast and backlight set to Max. Apparently the Samsung TV can handle the max contrast setting without clipping.

Set the color space to native to use the extra colors and color tone warm 2. Dynamic contrast on High and smart LED on High. Some argue about the Dynamic contrast setting but for me under my current lights and room condition anything lower than High, I can see the dullness difference in your picture.

On the Samsung KS8000, playing games on Movie mode causes big time input lag on TGC2. I have mine set to Game mode to be able to play with minimal input lag.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:
10spro wrote:For HDR games I have the contrast and backlight set to Max. Apparently the Samsung TV can handle the max contrast setting without clipping.

On the Samsung KS8000, playing games on Movie mode causes big time input lag on TGC2. I have mine set to Game mode to be able to play with minimal input lag.
To be honest, I still experience the minor jags here and there when I watch the ball fly even on ‘Game mode’ when I play this game. But to maximize the full potential of HDR depth and marvel at your new cool visuals, whether you have the PS4 Pro or X1X I find Movie mode gives me just that better look.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:

To be honest, I still experience the minor jags here and there when I watch the ball fly even on ‘Game mode’ when I play this game. But to maximize the full potential of HDR depth and marvel at your new cool visuals, whether you have the PS4 Pro or X1X I find Movie mode gives me just that better look.
Gotcha, thanks. I'll play around with it once I get the ok to get my X up and running.....

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote:
Gotcha, thanks. I'll play around with it once I get the ok to get my X up and running.....
I would tell my wife if I wait to Xmas the warranty is void :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bakes wrote:Wish my 4k tv had HDR. All these reports are making me jealous. Will be a hard sell to get my wife to agree to another TV purchase.
The Wirecutter's Best TV -- period -- is the $600 TCL P605/7.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

Might be a cheaper option for you! The P605 is $599 at Best Buy. Same set as the $650 P607 at Amazon but with a more simple Roku remote.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
She knows me too well....she would go online and look it up....me thinks I am screwed unless she gets her new car and/or feels sorry for me. The former is possible, the latter, not so much.... 8O

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:
Danimal wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
She knows me too well....she would go online and look it up....me thinks I am screwed unless she gets her new car and/or feels sorry for me. The former is possible, the latter, not so much.... 8O
Take her for a test drive then... :lol:

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

If that TCL was still available as a 65 inch model, I'd have one ordered.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

There's a similar TCL on sale at Costco for $450. But from the little bit I've researched the Costco TV is thinner at the expense of some of the features of the Best Buy set.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:There's a similar TCL on sale at Costco for $450. But from the little bit I've researched the Costco TV is thinner at the expense of some of the features of the Best Buy set.
That's probably the S405, which lacks Dolby Vision and dimming zones. Still a nice set. But I'd pay the extra $150 for those features, and I'm the cheapest mofo on Earth.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:

Might be a cheaper option for you! The P605 is $599 at Best Buy. Same set as the $650 P607 at Amazon but with a more simple Roku remote.
If I had my incentive goals check in hand right now, the P605 and and XBox One X would be mine... and I'd be traversing Road Atlanta in glorious 4K HDR in Forza 7 :) I have read nothing but rave reviews for the TCL P605 :o

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

pk500 wrote:

Very happy with my P605 so far. I didn't think I'd find a TV I love more than my Panny plasma, but this may be it.

My Scorpio arrived last night. So far I've played some Halo5 and NBA 2K18. They look a little sharper and load times seem faster. Looking forward to games being developed from the ground up for Scorpio specs.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Just fired up COD with HDR. Wow!
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Dave wrote:There's a similar TCL on sale at Costco for $450. But from the little bit I've researched the Costco TV is thinner at the expense of some of the features of the Best Buy set.
That's probably the S405, which lacks Dolby Vision and dimming zones. Still a nice set. But I'd pay the extra $150 for those features, and I'm the cheapest mofo on Earth.
If the S405 is the 55" TCL 4K set, then my local Walmart has them priced for $398. I never heard of TCL until you guys mentioned it. So is TCL better than Samsung?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just an FYI...Project Scorpio Editions of the Xbox One X are back in stock at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-1TB-Lim ... fe06f&th=1
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Still cant get over how great Madden looks. Stunning.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Well, looks like Wolfenstein 2 did get some really nice graphical upgrades. Will pick up an X later today (with Forza 7 as well).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... c-analysis

Can't wait to see how this console performs!