Xbox One X Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox One X Impressions

Post by Spooky »

Just so you guys are aware - there is apparently an issue with ALL NON-GAME HDR content (streaming, 4k Bluray, etc...) on the One X. I noticed it right away and was concerned. Then I read all the other people complaining about it over on AVS Forums.

They're referring to it as "elevated blacks". Non-game HDR looks washed out and blacks are more grey than they should be. Contrast is off. Take a look at the black bars of any letterboxed movie and you'll notice it.

Now, supposedly, there is an update in beta form that fixes this. I'll believe it when I see it.

This is BIG bummer.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:
Dave wrote:There's a similar TCL on sale at Costco for $450. But from the little bit I've researched the Costco TV is thinner at the expense of some of the features of the Best Buy set.
That's probably the S405, which lacks Dolby Vision and dimming zones. Still a nice set. But I'd pay the extra $150 for those features, and I'm the cheapest mofo on Earth.
If the S405 is the 55" TCL 4K set, then my local Walmart has them priced for $398. I never heard of TCL until you guys mentioned it. So is TCL better than Samsung?
From The Wirecutter:

Though not yet well-known in the USA, TCL is the third-largest maker of TVs in the world (behind only Samsung and LG). TCL previously made LCD panels for Samsung, so the company isn’t new to TVs. Keep in mind that now-familiar names such as Samsung and Vizio were also upstarts not much more than a decade ago. We are confident in the quality and track record of TCL’s TVs. Consumer Reports gives the company a reliability score that’s effectively the same as that of other major brands, and TCL has responded well to people who have had displays damaged by shipping, so we don’t think you should worry about purchasing one of its sets.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote: Take her for a test drive then... :lol:

Unfortunately she is NOT in a hurry....LOL

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Spooky wrote:Just so you guys are aware - there is apparently an issue with ALL NON-GAME HDR content (streaming, 4k Bluray, etc...) on the One X. I noticed it right away and was concerned. Then I read all the other people complaining about it over on AVS Forums.

They're referring to it as "elevated blacks". Non-game HDR looks washed out and blacks are more grey than they should be. Contrast is off. Take a look at the black bars of any letterboxed movie and you'll notice it.

Now, supposedly, there is an update in beta form that fixes this. I'll believe it when I see it.

This is BIG bummer.
Thanks for the heads up. This is indeed concerning. I'll keep checking in here and the AVS forum.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Spooky wrote:Just so you guys are aware - there is apparently an issue with ALL NON-GAME HDR content (streaming, 4k Bluray, etc...) on the One X. I noticed it right away and was concerned. Then I read all the other people complaining about it over on AVS Forums.

This is BIG bummer.
just started War Machine on Netflix to check it out, and it looks 100% fine. It is a 4K HDR film, so it had the bars.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Aristo wrote:

This is BIG bummer.
just started War Machine on Netflix to check it out, and it looks 100% fine. It is a 4K HDR film, so it had the bars.

Watched the first half of Spiderman Homecoming.

Am I missing something?

Looks great to me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I tried 2 of my 4K movies last night and didn't notice anything either.

Sony propaganda Fake News! :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I'm not seeing this issue either (LG OLED).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:
DivotMaker wrote: She knows me too well....she would go online and look it up....me thinks I am screwed unless she gets her new car and/or feels sorry for me. The former is possible, the latter, not so much.... 8O
Take her for a test drive then... :lol:
She gave in. Not without a heavy dose of guilt.....

I’ll be setting mine up with a transfer later this week. :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

DivotMaker wrote:
10spro wrote:
DivotMaker wrote: She knows me too well....she would go online and look it up....me thinks I am screwed unless she gets her new car and/or feels sorry for me. The former is possible, the latter, not so much.... 8O
Take her for a test drive then... :lol:
She gave in. Not without a heavy dose of guilt.....

I’ll be setting mine up with a transfer later this week. :D
Well done 8)

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Just grabbed the system and Forza. Hopefully kids fall asleep extra early tonight!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

If you can stream YouTube in 4k check out this video from SWBF2. You can capture in 4k HDR on the XB1X. If you do it here at DSP it just defaults to 1080p not 4K. Do it on your smart tv or PC to get the full 4k. Stunning graphics.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Picked up Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Looks perfect.

It can look better?

Id love to see that.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looks like you can upload your 4k HDR clips to the feed...you must do it manually though. I’m guessing only those of us with XB1X Will be able to see it in 4K HDR. Auto uploads are in 1080p.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

This could go in this thread or the TV one, but it’s XB1X related. I immediately turned off “soap opera effect” on my LG OLED the minute I bought it 4 months ago). With XBX, I tried to watch strangers things via Xbox Netflix app & the soap opera effect was suddenly back. I can’t find a setting on the Xbox to govern this. Thoughts?

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

greggsand wrote:This could go in this thread or the TV one, but it’s XB1X related. I immediately turned off “soap opera effect” on my LG OLED the minute I bought it 4 months ago). With XBX, I tried to watch strangers things via Xbox Netflix app & the soap opera effect was suddenly back. I can’t find a setting on the Xbox to govern this. Thoughts?
Check your settings again while playing the video. Did you come from OG or S Xbox? It's possible that your set is using HDR settings now and wasn't before. That often has its own set of calibration settings. Turn off smooth motion or whatever LG calls it, if you're given the option.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Yes, that appeared to be it. I just had to mess with the settings WHILE it was playing. So the Netflix app on my TV plays Stranger Things in Dolby Vision, but the XBX is HDR only?
Last edited by greggsand on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Some quick game observations from this past weekend:

NBA Jam on Fire Edition: I don't remember this game looking this good! For a 360 game, the visuals looked really nice on the X. And it's a much better game than the crap NBA Playgrounds. This game was not Xbox One X enhanced, but could have fooled me. I'll play this now and then, especially against my son.

Skate 3: This is an enhanced Xbox One X game, and it's definitely a lot more cleaned up and visually appealing than I recall. This won't get heavy rotation from me, but I'm happy I own it for those days I don't care to play more than 20 minutes.

NBA 2K18: Looks a bit cleaner and sharper compared to my PS4 digital copy. But more importantly, the Xbox One X is whisper quiet when playing the game, whereas the PS4 Pro's fan is quite loud. I now wish I had bought a physical copy so I could in turn trade it in for a Xbox copy. Ah well, I'm not about to purchase an additional copy, but the thought did cross my mind.

Other than that, didn't get a chance to play anything else once I booted up Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4...wow, what a game!!!! Xbox needs to push for some more exclusives like this title.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote: Other than that, didn't get a chance to play anything else once I booted up Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4...wow, what a game!!!! Xbox needs to push for some more exclusives like this title.
Totally agree and how about an exclusive like Bloodborne. I would have bought an ONE X if the game was ported over to the system.

That said if anyone is into platformers, Microsoft's "Super Lucky Tail" just got released and it's getting solid reviews. Thanks to my Bing Rewards I just snagged a copy for the wonderful price of $0. :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:
Bakes wrote:Wish my 4k tv had HDR. All these reports are making me jealous. Will be a hard sell to get my wife to agree to another TV purchase.
The Wirecutter's Best TV -- period -- is the $600 TCL P605/7.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

Might be a cheaper option for you! The P605 is $599 at Best Buy. Same set as the $650 P607 at Amazon but with a more simple Roku remote.

Now they just need to come out with a 65-inch version next year. Hopefully they announce at CES.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If only there was a TV thread for you non Xbox 1X owners to discuss such things. :D

Whoops hit send too soon. Also a patch is on the way for the raised HDR issues. It has been available for a week if your in the preview program so maybe that is why I didn't notice anything.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

After a night of watching Forza 7 update while fiddling around with other things on the Xbox One X, I got a chance to play it today.

Really really nice looking game. GT might have better lighting and a bit more photo realism, but Forza overall is the far superior package. Love the way it controls as well.

Haven't had an Xbox since the original, so will certainly check out some of the games I've missed.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

The One X generates a lot of heat, which the rear fans do a good job of exhausting. I was working on cables behind my TV and it was hot back there. I would not put this in a place without good rear ventilation.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I know you can go the MS store in UI, drill down into a title and see if it's 'Xb1X Enhanced' or not, but I wish the actual games in my library (games & app screen) showed a little badge or icon to represent this (esp handy as titles get updated when I'm not on).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

greggsand wrote:I know you can go the MS store in UI, drill down into a title and see if it's 'Xb1X Enhanced' or not, but I wish the actual games in my library (games & app screen) showed a little badge or icon to represent this (esp handy as titles get updated when I'm not on).
You can.

When you view your library, in the upper right, instead of "All" put it on "Xbox One Enhanced". That shows you games either in your library or ready to install that are enhanced.

They don't show an icon or anything...it only shows you games that ARE 'enhanced' when you do that.