Battlefield 4

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Battlefield 4

Post by Macca00 »

I couldn't see a dedicated BF4 thread (one for the beta, one for the 17 mins of footage, one for the roll-call) so I thought I'd start one.

BF4 comes out tomorrow on PC and current gen consoles.

You can pre-load the PC version on Origin as of this weekend - it weighs in at almost 30 gigs!
From all accounts the PC and next-gen versions should be similar.

Will post impressions tomorrow. I am very, very psyched!

Anyone else getting it on the PC or current gen?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by pk500 »

Waiting until Black Friday, when BF4 is $29 for all platforms at GameStop. Not enough DSPers getting this game for current-gen platforms for me to overlook $30 in savings. It's just a one-month wait -- no sweat.

Eager for your impressions, Macca.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Getting it for the 360, not sure where i have the time to play it.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

Macca00 wrote:I couldn't see a dedicated BF4 thread (one for the beta, one for the 17 mins of footage, one for the roll-call) so I thought I'd start one.

BF4 comes out tomorrow on PC and current gen consoles.

You can pre-load the PC version on Origin as of this weekend - it weighs in at almost 30 gigs!
From all accounts the PC and next-gen versions should be similar.

Will post impressions tomorrow. I am very, very psyched!

Anyone else getting it on the PC or current gen?
I am getting it for the 360 and the Xbox One. Will be online tonight ready for a marathon session

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My 360 copy will be here tomorrow so ill be looking to play. I'll end up getting the XBone version too I think.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

If I can pay for it with trades, I will. But I've spent too much money on games this month already.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Interesting tidbits from the Polygon review:
As part of EA's review event for Battlefield 4, reviewers were given the opportunity to spend extensive time with the next generation console versions of Battlefield 4, in addition to the PC version of the game. Unlike the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Battlefield 4, the Xbox One and PS4 releases have feature parity with the PC release — they have the same maps, the same player counts and the same framerate.

The most discerning graphics pixel counters will find fodder for pointed fingers and debate on next-gen platforms, as neither console is rendering Battlefield 4 at a native 1080p resolution. The Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 is currently rendering at 1280x720, while the PS4 is natively rendering at 1600x900. As a result, the PS4 version is somewhat sharper than the Xbox One release. Other than that, the two games look very similar over the course of Battlefield 4's singleplayer campaign, with the same lighting and framerate throughout (see gallery below for unmarked screenshots from both systems — see if you can tell which is which).

Unfortunately, at this time, we can't provide final verdicts for either the Xbox One or PS4 versions of the game. Microsoft has specified that review scores must be held until November 12th at 9:00AM PST, and we were not given the opportunity to play the Xbox One version's multiplayer component. Regarding PS4, there were serious stability issues that repeatedly led to crashes after multiplayer matches concluded. As the PS4 is still more than two weeks away from its November 15th launch date, it seems premature to assume that this issue will not be resolved — and penalizing the game this far from the PS4's launch doesn't seem especially fair. We will further evaluate both next generation versions of Battlefield 4 once they launch on their respective platforms next month.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Digital Foundry do their thing;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ff-preview
It's a shame that the upscaling issues on PS4 pull it back from absolute dominance in terms of image quality and performance that the metrics suggest we should be getting. However, the games are running at equivalent to high settings on the PC version, while cut-backs in lighting, effects and draw distance mean we can play through the campaign at an almost uninterrupted 60fps. It can be argued that the image quality could have been raised a notch to the PC's ultra setting if not for this ambitious refresh target, especially given the frame-rate's struggles in multiplayer. On balance though, the performance is solid, if not quite optimal for 64 player maps at present.
Really in-depth comparison. While the PS4 version runs at a higher native resolution, when I look at the comparison shots I can barely notice a difference and in motion...it's all the same to me. Going with the XBONE 'cause of Live and the controller.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Macca00 wrote:Digital Foundry do their thing;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ff-preview
It's a shame that the upscaling issues on PS4 pull it back from absolute dominance in terms of image quality and performance that the metrics suggest we should be getting. However, the games are running at equivalent to high settings on the PC version, while cut-backs in lighting, effects and draw distance mean we can play through the campaign at an almost uninterrupted 60fps. It can be argued that the image quality could have been raised a notch to the PC's ultra setting if not for this ambitious refresh target, especially given the frame-rate's struggles in multiplayer. On balance though, the performance is solid, if not quite optimal for 64 player maps at present.
Really in-depth comparison. While the PS4 version runs at a higher native resolution, when I look at the comparison shots I can barely notice a difference and in motion...it's all the same to me. Going with the XBONE 'cause of Live and the controller.
They look almost identical but, to be honest, the XBOne version looked a bit sharper to me plus it had better colors...IMO.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Diablo25 wrote:They look almost identical but, to be honest, the XBOne version looked a bit sharper to me plus it had better colors...IMO.
I liked the colors in the XB1 version too. But again, in motion - I couldn't tell you the difference.

Just played one Conquest Large (64 players) on Flood Zone....insane, the combination open + multi-level close quarters combat (in the middle of the city block) is ridiculous. Visuals are insane - stuttering problems from the PC beta were absent.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

360 thoughts? Impressions?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:360 thoughts? Impressions?
Just got in. I'll fire it up in a bit. Having some internet trouble at the moment.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Wow, just played my first round on a map called Operation Locker. It was in tense! I got promoted in my first match. Looks great, a lot smoother than the beta. It was a badass first round!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Played a few more maps and had a great time. Familiar feel to the game if you've played BF3. Still feeling out the maps but I like the 3 I've played so far.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Intense matches happening right out the gate :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Limited play so far on PS3, but like what little I've played. Classic BF
GT = Wilk5280

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Put in a good 90 mins in multiplayer tonight on the PC. I love the new maps. Destructibility is back - particularly in the non-urban maps - in Zavod 311 there seem to be multiple buildings you can level to the ground. Even moreso than the PC BF3 maps, these seem much more well designed to allow pockets of localized battles but still allow you to get a sense of how the overall battle is going. It's 64 players but you never feel like the battlefield is too big nor too small or cramped.

Commander mode is back and having a solid commander does seem to make a difference as he can really guide the battle - as well launching support missile strikes and calling in gunships.

I'm starting to really dig the class changes that I mentioned in my preview and that manual hand-held/mobile SOFLAM (the PLD) is my new favourite toy. I spent almost an entire match in the recon class...doing actual recon - spotting infantry, tanks and air support and now you actually get a proper score reward for doing it. They also seem to have limited the amount of flares/chaff that choppers and jets have - or at least lengthened the reload time. Now those bad-ass chopper pilots can't just continually strafe an area - they have to really fly in, hit and then fly out otherwise they'll be taken out (provided your team co-operates - and if you use the PLD a massive targeting icon appears on everyone's screen - it's a massive "HEY SHOOT ME" sign that even the most selfish player can't ignore).

Graphically, this game is ridiculous. I have a GTX 660 and if I drop the resolution to 1080p (which is fine for me since half the time I output it to my TV) I can almost all the settings on Ultra and it runs great. In single player it probably just edges Crysis 3 as the best looking game I've ever seen.

Here some blasphemy for you - I'm using a 360 controller! There's no console aim-assist but BF isn't as twitchy as COD so I can get away with it.

Having a ton of fun with this and looking forward to double dipping with the XB1 version and playing online with you guys.

If anyone's got it on the PC, my Origin ID is DrMacca (I need to link my 360/console and PC Origin IDs, for some reason they're seperate).

L

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am also enjoying the new maps so far after a few of hours of 'Obliteration' . My other modes that I played so far were Conquest, Rush and TD but I had most fun with Obliteration where teams fight for the elusive bomb. If fumbled, teams will try to run it to the enemy's throat by going into the opponents end zone and plant it there, sort of speak in football terms. 8) Graphically, I didn't noticed much improvement over BF3, which is not bad at all, this is on the 360.

Paracel Storm is on of those maps that reminded me a bit of Far Cry 3 resembling an archipelago of islands with different twists while the ability to swim well may mean life or death.

Being at the top of one of the many skyscrapers in Shanghai is also breathtaking, you can do well here using the recon class.

Will jump into campaign mode eventually where I hear is pretty good.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

s***, now I have to buy this game (PC).
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Macca00 wrote:Put in a good 90 mins in multiplayer tonight on the PC. I love the new maps. Destructibility is back - particularly in the non-urban maps - in Zavod 311 there seem to be multiple buildings you can level to the ground. Even moreso than the PC BF3 maps, these seem much more well designed to allow pockets of localized battles but still allow you to get a sense of how the overall battle is going. It's 64 players but you never feel like the battlefield is too big nor too small or cramped.

Commander mode is back and having a solid commander does seem to make a difference as he can really guide the battle - as well launching support missile strikes and calling in gunships.

I'm starting to really dig the class changes that I mentioned in my preview and that manual hand-held/mobile SOFLAM (the PLD) is my new favourite toy. I spent almost an entire match in the recon class...doing actual recon - spotting infantry, tanks and air support and now you actually get a proper score reward for doing it. They also seem to have limited the amount of flares/chaff that choppers and jets have - or at least lengthened the reload time. Now those bad-ass chopper pilots can't just continually strafe an area - they have to really fly in, hit and then fly out otherwise they'll be taken out (provided your team co-operates - and if you use the PLD a massive targeting icon appears on everyone's screen - it's a massive "HEY SHOOT ME" sign that even the most selfish player can't ignore).

Graphically, this game is ridiculous. I have a GTX 660 and if I drop the resolution to 1080p (which is fine for me since half the time I output it to my TV) I can almost all the settings on Ultra and it runs great. In single player it probably just edges Crysis 3 as the best looking game I've ever seen.

Here some blasphemy for you - I'm using a 360 controller! There's no console aim-assist but BF isn't as twitchy as COD so I can get away with it.

Having a ton of fun with this and looking forward to double dipping with the XB1 version and playing online with you guys.

If anyone's got it on the PC, my Origin ID is DrMacca (I need to link my 360/console and PC Origin IDs, for some reason they're seperate).

L
Love Zavod. Great map. Also love the SoFlam :). Jumped into recon last night after a while on assault and had a ball targeting artillery :). I'm liking the game more than I expected.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Unlocks are a lot slower in BF4 compared to BF3, or at least they have been in my experience.

Finally unlocked the DMR class for Recon - brilliant, I'm having a ton of fun now playing that class (something I never thought I'd say about a 'sniper' class).

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Macca00 wrote:Finally unlocked the DMR class for Recon - brilliant, I'm having a ton of fun now playing that class (something I never thought I'd say about a 'sniper' class).
I've never been a sniper--too impatient for too little payoff--but sneaking around and spotting while mixing in a few kills sounds really fun to me.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Naples39 wrote:
Macca00 wrote:Finally unlocked the DMR class for Recon - brilliant, I'm having a ton of fun now playing that class (something I never thought I'd say about a 'sniper' class).
I've never been a sniper--too impatient for too little payoff--but sneaking around and spotting while mixing in a few kills sounds really fun to me.
Surprisingly I think I've played Recon class more than any other.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Put in more than 10 hrs now on the PC. Really diggin' it. If you're playing current gen you're in for a treat when you switch to next-gen - not only the bump from 24 to 64 players but also the increased map size and extra capture points. Having a good commander does make a big difference I find.

I am starting to find the balance in some maps to be weighted a bit too much towards vehicles/armor but the majority are solid. I am in love with Zavod.

Few thoughts;

Levolution is little more than a gimick for most maps.
They need to tweak the attack boat - that main cannon is far, far too powerful. I've seen APCs torn to shred by that thing.
Obliteration needs a time limit.
You can actually unlock the C4 when using support but it's the FINAL unlock which is crazy.
Still loving Recon - unlocked almost 2/3 of the gadgets! I love my DMR.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Macca00 wrote:Put in more than 10 hrs now on the PC. Really diggin' it. If you're playing current gen you're in for a treat when you switch to next-gen - not only the bump from 24 to 64 players but also the increased map size and extra capture points. Having a good commander does make a big difference I find.

I am starting to find the balance in some maps to be weighted a bit too much towards vehicles/armor but the majority are solid. I am in love with Zavod.

Few thoughts;

Levolution is little more than a gimick for most maps.
They need to tweak the attack boat - that main cannon is far, far too powerful. I've seen APCs torn to shred by that thing.
Obliteration needs a time limit.
You can actually unlock the C4 when using support but it's the FINAL unlock which is crazy.
Still loving Recon - unlocked almost 2/3 of the gadgets! I love my DMR.
I gave this a shot last week, but the servers kept crashing in the middle of a round. I decided to give a week for patches and played Tomb Raider this week instead. Have you seen this issue?