AC Origins

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

AC Origins

Post by Danimal »

I didn't see a thread upon using the wonderful search engine here.

Game drops today I believe, at least Steam said it did. I'm not a huge AC fan but for some reason I purchased this one and have it pre-loaded. Looking forward to playing this tonight.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: AC Origins

Post by Aristo »

My wife is a huge AC fan, and I usually play through it with her. I may grab this today. She is pretty is pretty much focused on BotW right now, so she may ant to wait. But she may also be ready for a change.

It might be a good game to play now and then after I get the XB1X to get a feel for the difference, too.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Bought it. Tooled around for about an hour before bed. It's pretty.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

My copy is out for delivery. Probably won't get a chance to play it tonight, but should be able to get a few hours into it this weekend.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Played it for a few hours. It sure is pretty on PC, that's for sure. The combat is much better than the previous "wait to counter and attack" style, and being able to hunt and loot from horseback is a welcome addition.

It'll take some time to get used to the level spread, and how you can come up on a camp that may be higher than you, and somehow THOSE helmet-less guys can take 2 arrows to the head, while guys your level take 1...but I'll take some RPG-trappings over the previous style any day. I can suspend my disbelief enough to have fun with it. Combat has been a blast with the hit boxes and dodges, blocks, parries, and finishers. It's closer to normal action games than the previous version, although the lock-on mechanic seems a little fiddly. I do like that rather than using a dual-assassinate on a pair of bandits facing away from me sitting at a campfire, I can just walk up and swing my sword and hit both of them. It's a lot better than trying to find that perfect spot where both targets are highlighted.

I've spent quite a bit of time just riding around the countryside, hunting and gathering crafting materials, upgrading armor and weapons, and completing the various location challenges (kill captain, loot thing, etc.).

The bird is also a nice tough, as it's just an ancient-Egyptian style drone. Story seems alright, but nothing new. Somebody was wronged, and is out to be all vengeance-y.

It really appears as though Ubisoft went "hey, we can do Witcher, also!" and tried. It's pretty damned good for a first impression, but I wouldn't put it up there with the Witcher yet.

And, on PC, I didn't have any graphical issues or frame drops or anything. I DID get a weird sound "buzz" in a short burst from time to time early on, but I haven't had that lately. Compared to previous versions on release day, that's a massive improvement.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I only got to play for an hour as somehow 2 step verification got turned on in my Ubiplay account and I couldn't load uplay to play the game. Once that was resolved I basically did the first 3 missions. It felt a bit overwhelming but this was past midnight so maybe some fresh eyes. I also think i missed the setup story,there was a beaning cut scene with a guy riding an elephant and next scene I know I;m in a tomb killing someone and the I'm facing his body guard(?) then I explore the tomb get out, meet some guy I know and head back to his (my?) village. From there I did a few missions. I get the point that these 4 guys did something bad, what I don't know and I'm out to kill them but I feel like I accidentally skipped something.

Game looks incredible on the PC in widescreen and I really like the combat thus far. Other than that not much I can say about it as I only killed a deer for crafting materials and rescues some prisoners.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

One issue I had last night was that you just kinda "started". A brief weird cutscene and then your in Egypt fighting a dude. Did I miss something? Anyway, the only other is just because I dearly love the Batman/Shadow of Mordor/War combat system, but the fighting control is going to take some getting used to. I kept hitting Y to counter last night... Lol.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

No, you guys missed nothing. I was telling Danimal it starts making sense after a few more missions, where they start doing flashbacks and whatnot, but it's like they tried to use a Hollywood-style "start later, then flash forward, then flash backward" type of delivery. It's very strange in the game, but stuff starts making sense within a couple of hours.

And yeah, first things I got were regeneration and parry, so I could hit B to parry strikes. Not having a counter is interesting, but the lock on and dodge felt very Souls-y in no time.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I just got a little back story, and yeah, this could get interesting. I'm more comfortable with the combat, although I still have to think about it, and I can't play this and Shadow of War one right after the other... Lol. Friggin beautiful game.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Teal wrote:One issue I had last night was that you just kinda "started". A brief weird cutscene and then your in Egypt fighting a dude. Did I miss something? Anyway, the only other is just because I dearly love the Batman/Shadow of Mordor/War combat system, but the fighting control is going to take some getting used to. I kept hitting Y to counter last night... Lol.
Yeah, I found that I cannot play Batman and AC at the same time. The fighting feels to similar, but controls so differently that it just causes problems.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just got to Alexandria. I swear, I could spend an hour just flying over it with the eagle. Just beautiful.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Can’t wait to get into this but I’m binge watching Stranger Things 2 :oops:
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I got a little burnt out on AC. I still have to finish Syndicate. Then I want to play 3, which is the only one I skipped. So I probably won't get to the new one till next year.

The last few AC games I got bored 1/2 way through and stopped playing. Then when I go back it's like wow, this game is great and I can't stop playing till it's done.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Played about 45 minutes and I can tell this is a keeper. I really like Sydicate but for the past few months it wont boot up on my PS4 (long story). I like the combat system. Seems like there is a lot more rpg stuff than the other AC games. I read where one reviewer called it The Witcher in Egypt. I plan on getting somewhat deeper into it this weekend. Can’t wait to see it on the XB1X.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Game is awesome. Played it for about 3 hours tonight. Great stuff.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Combat system is pretty cool. Got some nice kills last night.

https://gameclipscontent-d3015.xboxlive ... a45d9d2391
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Just got to Alexandria. I swear, I could spend an hour just flying over it with the eagle. Just beautiful.
Just got there...wow. Gorgeous.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Decided to ride around and see what I can see. Went to Giza to see the pyramids. Wow. The tomb raiding alone is worth the game, but man at the visuals, and it really doesn't even feel that much like an AC game. Lots of technical improvements. Impressed. Really impressed.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Teal wrote:Decided to ride around and see what I can see. Went to Giza to see the pyramids. Wow. The tomb raiding alone is worth the game, but man at the visuals, and it really doesn't even feel that much like an AC game. Lots of technical improvements. Impressed. Really impressed.
So, if you had to choose, which would you pick? AC or ME:SoW? Only have time to play one of them and wanted a good one for the new 1X next week.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

AC Origins in a landslide, for me personally.

I played through almost all of ME:SoW and sort of started fading out once I conquered the last fortress and got into the "now I'm just grabbing orcs and messing with my army" phase. I loved it. But nearing the end, I didn't have the same drive to find the next captain, or run the next nemesis mission, etc...you won't get the bang for your buck that Origins has provided already.

In Origins, I think I've already played about as much of that, and I feel like I've only done 20% of what I see on the map. I seriously think I only have half the zones discovered, and I've taken out 8 "major" targets, leveled to somewhere in the 30s, and unlocked most of my major skill targets.

Then there's the simple combat. SoW is closer to what AC used to be--hit, counter when there's an icon, and that's that. The combat in Origins is more like an action game (closest I can think of is Witcher 3 with a lot of dodging to maneuver and using weapon-hit-boxes to hit multiple enemies at once).

Honestly, I thought SoW was great...until I played Origins. I had things I wanted to get done this past weekend, but I did absolutely nothing but Origins, it felt like. And when I look at my Steam profile today, it confirms it:

That's an embarrassing level of time to spend from Friday to Monday, and I lost most of Saturday (from 8:30AM until 3PM) with school, or it would have been worse.

*EDIT* Yep...34 hours on Shadow of War and I was basically in the "100% mop up duty cleaning up collectibles" phase. I'm 4 hours more on Origins and feel like I'm maybe halfway through the game, with entire zones and quest chains out there undiscovered.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

That's a tougher choice for me. I haven't played SoW since this came out, but to say it's because I no longer want to would be false and unfair. It's just because I got distracted by the new and shiny.. Lol. The new and shiny is awesome, to be sure, but so is SoW. I feel like I hit the Xb1 sweet spot, diving in when I did. But I dearly love both, and honestly prefer the combat in SoW (I don't find it to be at all like older AC games), although the new mechanic in ACO is really good in its own right. I had gotten tired of the AC formula, and was going to pass on this, but I'm glad I didn't. But I'm also very happy to own SoW. I know that makes the choice clear as mud, but... Lol

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Allow me to amend. Several more hours into AC:O, and while I heartily recommend SoW, I, too have to give the nod to ACO if you're only going to get one. The depth of this game can not be overstated. Just a masterpiece.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Thanks for the responses. Yea, am leaning towards origins. Can wait to get SoW on the cheap down the road.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701